• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer comments on the leaks and semi confirms Halo 2 Anniversary?

tino

Banned
This whole ntkernal leak thing is basically a new type of upcoming game announcement without actually commit to anything.

If two years from now, MS can not keep the promise of the release of a low tier IP game then they will just pretend the leak was fake.

On a platform that doesn't have those titles. Also, Halo 2 is probably not going to be the same Halo 2 released on the original Xbox and we still have the Halo 5 beta in December apparently.

I'm not saying it's the best we could get, but considering Halo 5 is apparently going to be delayed until next year (and probably for good reason) then I would say that this is the ideal scenario to appease fans until then.

Don't get me wrong i am not saying this is bad,its good actually. I want as many xbox and xbox 360 games on the xbox one as possible. Also you realize people would be pissed if it's not the same Halo 2? Then why rerelase it? Unless you mean minor stuff like graphics,its still the same game though.

You didn't honestly expect that the E3 2013 CGI trailer we saw would amount to anything this year, did you? No gameplay, not mention of betas, nothing afterwards. Halo 5 is 2015, for sure, unless it encounters some development hiccups. Of all the 'exclusives' revealed, I'd say maybe Quantum Break and Insomniac's game hits this year. Oh and that world-building thing is already in alpha or something isn't it?

Halo 5 having a CG trailer at last year's E3 in no way indicated it couldn't be finished 18 months later.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Don't get me wrong i am not saying this is bad,its good actually. I want as many xbox and xbox 360 games on the xbox one as possible. Also you realize people would be pissed if it's not the same Halo 2? Then why rerelase it? Unless you mean minor stuff like graphics,its still the same game though.

I actually hope the multiplayer is tweaked a bit - just stuff that shouldn't have been in the original regardless - like multiplayer bugs and glitches like BXR. Nothing major like weapon changes or anything like that. Also, I meant a huge graphical upgrade as well and there's that rumored alternate ending which leads me to believe that they may put more stuff in (for better or worse). Regardless, I think it'll feel like a new Halo game when it comes out even if nothing major has been changed from the original.

Quentyn

Maybe they are doing a larger press event too? The leaker hinted that all his info would've been eventually officially released by the end of February/start of March.

Yeah, I am sure there are events coming I just don't think they need a avenue like SXSW to do one. They can just invite the press whenever.

For Halo 2 Anniversary, I previously thought it would make sense to wait for E3 to reveal the game, like they did with the first Anniversary edition. I curious to see what they do now, now that the game is leaked.

im talking about a new mainline game
dont care much about halo 2 at this point but ill get it for the beta

Ah, got it. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy but would seriously considering getting an Xbox One for Halo 2 *if* it's not just an enhanced port. I honestly doubt they'll make new content for the game, though.
Still was great ; )
Damn right it was. Looking back on it, I still like Halo CE the best, but Halo 2 had nice set pieces too.

wwm0nkey

SP wise, Halo CE was the best level design and over all story, Halo 2 had the best universe building and set pieces.

Now just combine the 2 and we got the best Halo game.

Wurdfurd

I love Halo 2, it's the last good Bungie game.

You seemingly are stuck in 2004, because they also gave us Halo 3, which had the best multiplayer in the series, as well as a solid side story in ODST.
Reach was poop.

Semi-off topic: Destiny will re-affirm our faith in Bungle Bungie.

You seemingly are stuck in 2004, because they also gave us Halo 3, which had the best multiplayer in the series, as well as a solid side story in ODST.
Reach was poop.

Halo 2 and 3 were pretty similar. Reach was decent and Destiny is nothing like Halo so what do you mean re-affirm faith in Bungie?

Eoin

Ah, got it. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy but would seriously considering getting an Xbox One for Halo 2 *if* it's not just an enhanced port. I honestly doubt they'll make new content for the game, though.

Damn right it was. Looking back on it, I still like Halo CE the best, but Halo 2 had nice set pieces too.
I think it depends on the scope of the project. Halo CE anniversary was done pretty quickly and with a small budget. If Saber and CA are given more time and resources i don't see why they couldn't add new content. Very few people hold Halo 2's campaign in the same high regard as CE and wouldn't be that annoyed if it was altered a bit. Would give a chance to add a proper ending, maybe make the brutes fun to fight and so forth.

wwm0nkey

Reach was poop.

Destiny, will be Shadowrun 2 MP wise I feel. So not a bad thing but it wont be Halo.

Wurdfurd

Halo 2 and 3 were pretty similar. Reach was decent and Destiny is nothing like Halo so what do you mean re-affirm faith in Bungie?

A lot of people (at least from what I gather) feel Bungie lost a bit of their magic with Reach, it felt like their hearts weren't fully in it, myself included, and the title suffered because of it

Destiny looks great and I think with the whole team at Bungie fully invested in this title and wanting to "bottle that lightning a second time" (sages words) they will deliver something great.

Destiny, will be Shadowrun 2 MP wise I feel. So not a bad thing but it wont be Halo.

Not really expecting Halo, don't want Halo. Don't want COD either. I think Destiny will be something new and original.

Chettlar

Banned
Not able to answer because they need news for events is a sad answer. That dude really did leak most of their major plans into 2016, didn't he?

Um. No. Ntkrnl, the guy that did the leaking, said that he had hardly said anything when it all comes down to it.

A lot of people (at least from what I gather) feel Bungie lost a bit of their magic with Reach, it felt like their hearts weren't fully in it, myself included, and the title suffered because of it

Destiny looks great and I think with the whole team at Bungie fully invested in this title and wanting to "bottle that lightning a second time" (sages words) they will deliver something great.

Not really expecting Halo, don't want Halo. Don't want COD either. I think Destiny will be something new and original.

It wont be new or original. The gunplay is like COD with ads and borderlands style open world and loot.

bidguy

Banned

wow youre in for a big letdown if you think destiny will be the second coming of christ

no doubt, it will be an amazing game but its not gonna be anything new

Wurdfurd

It wont be new or original. The gunplay is like COD with ads and borderlands style open world and loot.

I haven't got a big COD vibe from the gunplay. Besides we haven't seen a ton of multiplayer yet, and thats what I'm referring to.

wow youre in for a big letdown if you think destiny will be the second coming of christ

I'm speaking more to multiplayer originality, not SP. Also, didnt say Destiny will be the second coming of christ, dont put words in my mouth making me seem like I'm overhyping. Just saying I hope and expect it to be a damn good game.

R3TRODYCE

Reach was poop.

Stuck in 2004? They gave us bubble shields in H3 and armor abilities in Reach, H3 and HR were terrible but HODST had a pretty decent campaign. Destiny isn't even on my radar because their last games have not been good.

alatif113

This coming from someone that thinks Titanfall is the second coming of christ. no doubt, it will be an amazing game but its not gonna be anything new

vogelkacke said:
guess it scares some people because this could be the next big thing and its skipping the console of their choice

Alx

I don't really doubt the leaks, but I wouldn't look too much into Phil Spencer's declarations. He's been teasing a lot of things and letting us expect many announcements of games that haven't come yet. The possibility is still there, but with the same kind of interpretation we should have seen a new Crackdown at each gaming event of 2013.

wwm0nkey

I don't really doubt the leaks, but I wouldn't look too much into Phil Spencer's declarations. He's been teasing a lot of things and letting us expect many announcements of games that haven't come yet. The possibility is still there, but with the same kind of interpretation we should have seen a new Crackdown at each gaming event of 2013.

Well yeah we wont see any of his teases come true yet until there is a place to announce them at.

Silky

Banned
Stuck in 2004? They gave us bubble shields in H3 and armor abilities in Reach, H3 and HR were terrible but HODST had a pretty decent campaign. Destiny isn't even on my radar because their last games have not been good.

so you're saying you dont like Halo 3 because it had a new pickup even though said pickup is literally a death trap in disguise considering how bullet penetration works in halo 3

what are your thoughts on active camo/shield draining

Wurdfurd

Equipment in Halo 3 was a great addition and changed how the battleground looked, for the better. Reach was abysmal multiplayer-wise, IMO, and was slow and boring.

Destiny should be on your radar because its what they've wanted to make since the completion of Halo 3. They owed MS 5 Halo games though, so ODST and Reach were essentially their way out of their contract with MS.

bidguy

Banned

Wahrer said:
The crystalline compound is known colloquially as "blamite," which has only been found in mines on a moon orbiting the Elite homeworld. It relies on chemical reactions to trace organic signatures, and when a certain number of needles penetrate a target (usually 7), the chemical reactions have a harmonic effect that exponentially increases the explosive damage.

As for the reload mechanics and whatnot, the temperature of Blamite's never been explained - but it's been theorized that the Needler works like a glorified play-doh spaghetti maker. That is, a large singular crystal is placed in a centralized magazine, said crystal is superheated, at which point it reverts to a semisolid and is forcibly threaded through the visible holes atop the gun. Upon protrusion, the needles immediately cool and retain their shape.

A bit of supplementary material from Reach reveals that most Covenant weapons shouldn't even work, though - triggers aren't even physically connected to their firing mechanisms. It's possible that the guns don't completely exist in dimensions visible to us - since Covenant tech is largely descended from jailbroken Forerunner technology, they might be employing "cloud storage" for weapon components, but in the physical realm.

its subzero at a starbucks now

Seance

Banned
If Halo 2 Anniversary comes out at 1080p60 on Xbone with full multiplayer and dedicated servers then:

343 redeemed
Halo redeemed
Xbone redeemed
+1 Microsoft cheerleader for 2014

Pop

As long as Microsoft doesn't change H2 mp in any way, then I'm all over this. This and the H3 leak will make me purchase an Xbone later this year.

If the rumor is true that they're also re-issuing Halo 3 and 4 for XB1 in a special edition along with Halo 2, I can't imagine why they also wouldn't re-re-issue Halo CE as well. It would be hard to resist all 4 bundled, even with no Halo 5 this year.

Please, please, please have the ORIGINAL multiplayer, and not the Reach-garbage like they did in Halo 1.

Halo 2 might be the pinnacle of halo multiplayer, and it's be a damn shame if they ruin that =(

Looking forward to it, really hoping the multiplayer is 1:1 to OG H2 (sans bugs). That would definitely re-ignite my interest in playing MP.

kick51

Banned
On twitter he's all "aw gee guys, this PR thing is so difficult"

after he hits submit, the camera pans over to some hitmen who are blurred in the background. He doesn't even look at them and says "You know what to do....put the buttocks on the train."

just trying to cope with the lack of gifs in the wake of this

AlStrong

Wonder if they're re-recording the OST... I wasn't really a fan of the CEA version. It just sounded off, even if higher quality.

broony

I am guessing that the multiplayer will be a halo 4 version of halo 2. Kind of like anniversary was a reach version of CE.

I don't get these remakes. I have played the shit out of the game 10 years ago. I don't need to play it again. I wonder how Bungie feels about it.

ElNino

Wonder if they're re-recording the OST... I wasn't really a fan of the CEA version. It just sounded off, even if higher quality.
Halo 2 had some licensed music as well did it not (Breaking Benjamin was one I think)?

I would assume they would either need to re-license or replace the music in those sections... assuming the Anniversary rumor is true that is.

Chettlar

Banned

I would go nuts if they had a real live professional orchestra (like Chicago, New York, or even London [ohboyohboy] Symphony Orchestras) perform those tracks.

If Halo 2 Anniversary comes out at 1080p60 on Xbone with full multiplayer and dedicated servers then:

343 redeemed
Halo redeemed
Xbone redeemed
+1 Microsoft cheerleader for 2014
Same here, Microsoft could actually win back a significant part of the audience for Halo 5 when that comes out.

Agreed, most people love it though, I've always been a sort of producer though, so i pick up on strange things like that.

Vlade

This whole ntkernal leak thing is basically a new type of upcoming game announcement without actually commit to anything.

If two years from now, MS can not keep the promise of the release of a low tier IP game then they will just pretend the leak was fake.

companies have been doing this, especially internally to "soften the blow" of big news, for as long as i've been paying attention... a long time.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I don't get these remakes. I have played the shit out of the game 10 years ago. I don't need to play it again. I wonder how Bungie feels about it.

Well, I imagine it's a profitable venture - Sony does it and continues to do it with their first-party titles (and I'm glad that they do) and Microsoft looks like they are about to start doing it with their major franchises (Halo Annniversary, Fable Anniversary, we'll probably see a Gears Anniversary at some point). With that said, I wouldn't mind if Microsoft just focused on the campaigns of those games to get people up to speed on the stories for their new games, but since Halo 5 isn't releasing until next year then it would make sense to make Halo 2 multiplayer available again.

As for what Bungie thinks about it - I can't speak for them, but I would imagine they aren't really focused on Halo at all at this point. I think Destiny is going to be a franchise they value more than Halo since they'll always own it.

Top Bottom