• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60 fps gameplay vids for various Wii U games @ E3

Hypron

The first one is 60 on 360.

If by 60 you mean constantly oscillating between 40 and 60 (against some bosses it dips below that, and quite a few in game cutscenes are running at a locked 30fps) then yeah. Otherwise, I hope bayonetta 2 runs at a solid 60.

Blades64

Banned
What's a good player for Gamersyde videos? I tried them with KMPlayer, VLC and Media Player Classic, but all of them have issues playing the videos...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yeah, Gamersyde said it's not, so I doubt it.

The team in LA thought it was 60 fps and encoded the video at 60. I reviewed all their videos before putting them online, and the game was without any doubt possible running at 30, so I asked them to encode the video again at 30. Our off-screen 60 fps videos show a lot more frame blending than our 30 fps method, so you don't want to encode at 60 fps unless absolutely required.

Ydahs

I am so weirded out by how much more advanced Mario Kart 8 is than any other Nintendo Wii U game other than X. Monolith Soft and the Kart team need to share their tech knowledge with the rest of the team or some shit

With both games coming out next year, I wonder if they've been able to migrate to a more recent and efficient SDK. Smash is also (supposedly) 1080p@60fps and is set to release next year as well. Should look better this time next year as Sakurai kept on stressing the graphics are still a WIP.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
goddamn it thanks OP. they're definitely worth a download. That Donkey Kong looks so gloriously smooth

but the girl playing it stank. Reminds me when my fiance plays Mario, she's so afraid of even squashing Goombas she prefers to run away from them

The team in LA thought it was 60 fps and encoded the video at 60. I reviewed all their videos before putting them online, and the game was without any doubt possible running at 30, so I asked them to encode the video again at 30. Our off-screen 60 fps videos show a lot more frame blending than our 30 fps method, so you don't want to encode at 60 fps unless absolutely required.

It's so good to have reliable eyes on all of these things. You've never led me astray. Pikmin is 30 fps too correct? I presume so since that video is also encoded at 30 but you didn't specifically call it out as with Wind Walker.

So I'm confused.

Wind Waker 1080p/30fps
Mario Kart 8 1080p/60fps
Super Smash Bros 1080p/60fps
Donkey Kong 720p/60fps
Mario World 720p/60fps
X 720p/60fps
Pikmin 3 720p/60fps
W101 720p/60fps
Bayonetta 2 720p/60fps

Is this right?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
It's so good to have reliable eyes on all of these things. You've never led me astray. Pikmin is 30 fps too correct? I presume so since that video is also encoded at 30 but you didn't specifically call it out as with Wind Walker.

I did not encode that one, but the team in LA always used our 60 fps script first to check if the frames were doubled or not, so unless they were lazy for that one (and I really doubt it), you can assume it's 30 fps.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So I'm confused.

Wind Waker 1080p/30fps
Mario Kart 8 1080p/60fps
Donkey Kong 720p/60fps
Mario World 720p/60fps
X 720p/60fps
Pikmin 3 720p/60fps
W101 720p/60fps
Bayonetta 2 720p/60fps

Is this right?
No. Pretty sure wind waker is 60 and mk8 is 720

Blimblim

The Inside Track
No Wind Waker is 30 and Mario Kart is 1080.

I'm so sick and tired of people saying WW is 60 fps. I'm uploading the video my team encoded mistakenly at 60 fps so people can check for themselves, hopefully it will be enough...

There you go, 60 fps video, 30 fps game. You notice a lot of frame blending, that's why we never encode 30 fps games recorded with our cameras at 60 fps.
http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_30299_1_en.html

Volotaire

I'm so sick and tired of people saying WW is 60 fps. I'm uploading the video my team encoded mistakenly at 60 fps so people can check for themselves, hopefully it will be enough...

I don't know where they are getting the info from. Must be some poor site or some Nintendo PR misinformation.

On another note,In hope the Zelda Wii U is 60 FPS, will make a nice change from previous 3D Zelda games.

Where's your source?

Sorry I don't' have one, its been said in the forums about a hundred times.

For Windwaker to be 60 FPS, they would have to change some of the animations as well.

EDIT : not sure about Mario Kart, but Wind Waker I am definitely sure about.

Seeing that nearly all of these WiiU games (with the one thats not likely by choice) are HD and at 60fps makes me believe that the system really does pack an extra punch that the PS3/360 often lacked. Those consoles usually had to go subHD to get 60fps at times. I mean just look at Bayonetta's video. They're flying through a fucking city and its still HD at a butter smooth framerate. Not saying that the PS3 couldn't do that but it would be quite a task for it to.

Xun

The shots for MK were 720p.

If they are aiming for 1080p I'll be even more impressed, but I doubt it.

Whatever happens it's clear to me that the Wii U will deliver beyond the 360/PS3, especially considering we're seeing first-gen Wii U games that already are.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't know where they are getting the info from. Must be some poor site or some Nintendo PR misinformation.

On another note,In hope the Zelda Wii U is 60 FPS, will make a nice change from previous 3D Zelda games.

Sorry I don't' have one, its been said in the forums about a hundred times.

For Windwaker to be 60 FPS, they would have to change some of the animations as well.
i can understand WW. But all the mk media is in 720

Teppic

I want to know how Mario Kart 8 will handle four player split screen. Mario Kart Wii was unplayable with four players.

I thought that Wind Waker was programmed with the music tempo being directly controlled dynamically by the framerate being presented so making it above the 30FPS to 60FPS would mean the dynamic music would have to be scrapped as it would be double speed. Was this done so the music would by dynamically triggered and synched to a specific event?

Though I would favour a full orchestral soundtrack dynamically coded for a 60 fps target instead.

that being said 60 fps makes me really want to play some of these games.

plank

So was Dark Souls, before Durante swooped in ;)

No 60fps for Wind Waker is disappointing. How much more effort would it be? I'm guessing they just made 30fps animations. What else would need to be done?

like I Stalk Alone said it implemented because of the mechanics of the music and setting also the Wind Waker wand gameplay.

Terrell

So I'm confused.

Wind Waker 1080p/30fps
Mario Kart 8 1080p/60fps
Donkey Kong 720p/60fps
Mario World 720p/60fps
X 720p/60fps
Pikmin 3 720p/60fps
W101 720p/60fps
Bayonetta 2 720p/60fps

Is this right?

Bolded the parts of the list that are questionable or have conflicting information on GAF. Someone needs to hammer this shit down.

i can understand WW. But all the mk media is in 720
All but one image in the Smash Bros. media is 720p, as well. So....

Mario Kart is NOT 1080p. If it was they would have been preaching to the rafters about it in their Nintendo Direct.

They weren't preaching 1080p in any of their Smash Bros. content, either, so...

linko9

They weren't preaching 1080p in any of their Smash Bros. content, either, so...

Yeah what exactly is the source for Smash being 1080p? If it's just some nintendo rep on the floor, that means absolutely nothing. They said that about other nintendo games last E3 that were 720p.

Terrell

Yeah what exactly is the source for Smash being 1080p? If it's just some nintendo rep on the floor, that means absolutely nothing. They said that about other nintendo games last E3 that were 720p.

A 1080p screenshot in the press package, and Eurogamer reporting on it, which means it comes from a source higher up than some guy on the show floor.

OP please include these videos, not 60fps but they have good gameplay.

That Mario gameplay has subtle but great gameplay stuff I had not seen in other videos.
A Baseball
Wow is the cat suit cute
Hitting boxes filled with small goombas
Mario got a piranha plant that ate all other pirahna plants
The pipe stage is the one that looks best
Luigi can jump longer
Very smooth and clean.

After all the disappointment I am guessing we will be surprised by this game at the end, its going to be great.

Nintendo did a bad job on how they showed this.

Jac_Solar

Made some GIF's of wonderful 101, not 60 FPS though due to size.

uc

uc

uc

How come I can see some slight pixelation/artifact like effect in these? Just started with Adobe Premiere a few days ago, so I don't know all that much.

Is that possible to smooth out this type of pixelation thing in GIF's (Besides using a filter or effect.)? I exported with Animated GIF at 100 quality, Maximum Render Quality, Frame Blending, 29.97FPS (Same as source.), Progressive Field Order. 1.0 Aspect Ratio at 370x208 resolution (From 640x360.). It didn't seem like any changes in resolution, aspect ratio, field order or frame blending affected it.

Or could it be caused by a codec? Does anyone else see a pixelationish effect in these GIF's? (Dots.)

Arzehn

I seriously think this confusion is because site's like gamersyde release videos in 60fps of games that are 30fps. Like Killzone SF.

I don't get why so many people are so sure WW is 60fps. Nintendo never said that, and it wouldn't even make sense, all the animations from the original are 30fps. Would Nintendo have redone them all and not brag about how they did that?

Volotaire

I don't get why so many people are so sure WW is 60fps. Nintendo never said that, and it wouldn't even make sense, all the animations from the original are 30fps. Would Nintendo have redone them all and not brag about how they did that?

People at best buy events have played it and said it was 30 fps.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I seriously think this confusion is because site's like gamersyde release videos in 60fps of games that are 30fps. Like Killzone SF.

We never released a 60 fps video of WW (well, I guess now we did, but it was to prove my point). And the Killzone trailer was released by Sony as a 60 fps video with 60 fps scenes in it, so as far as I'm concerned right now it's not a 30 fps game. Why they did that, I doubt we'll ever know.

What's up with the floor person in the Bayonetta video asking him to pull back his camera shot. "We want to make it clear that it's a person actually playing the game." Like we can't tell that from simply watching it or the fact that thousands of people were there that could see it being played?

Anyway, these games all look sooooo gooooood.

guek

Banned
Wind Waker was probably 30fps for the sake of its animations. Though I don't know, maybe that's all bumpkis. Maybe someone who's played it on dolphin could shed some light on whether that made the game feel off at all.

Wind Waker was probably 30fps for the sake of its animations. Though I don't know, maybe that's all bumpkis. Maybe someone who's played it on dolphin could shed some light on whether that made the game feel off at all.

Err... why would that change anything? Wind Waker still runs at 30fps on dolphin...

As for the person above mentioning gifs, gifs are limited to 256 colors, so colorful/fast changing scenes are going to be dithered.

FLAguy954

In Dolphin, some games have their fps internally locked (like Dark Souls) including Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4, both of which never go above the target 30 fps.

Top Bottom