• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Saturn title but w/ full voice) announced for 3DS

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ghostlight have been around for a while and we didn't get:
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Overclocked
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Edit: Wow, those are long titles. It's a lot more readable as a list.

They just recently obtained the license to publish DS/3D titles.

Aeana

I've read the same quote many times and I just think it's silly to call the game for something it's not. If the developers believe that the Tokyo setting is an essential criteria, then why not leave it at that? A number doesn't change the quality of the game.
Then why does it bother you so much that people call it SMT4 if the number isn't that important? It's a two-way street, sir.

NichM

Banned
I've read the same quote many times and I just think it's silly to call the game for something it's not. If the developers believe that the Tokyo setting is an essential criteria, then why not leave it at that? A number doesn't change the quality of the game.

This has certainly always been my position! Besides, if you're going to assign numbers to games that have none, Strange Journey is SMT5. But no one ever seems to like that idea. :p

Aeana

This has certainly always been my position! Besides, if you're going to assign numbers to games that have none, Strange Journey is SMT5. But no one ever seems to like that idea. :p
What's 4?
I mean, you could make a case for SMT If... being a mainline game, but then SMT3 came along afterward.
At any rate, I also don't think of SJ as SMT4. I'm just saying it isn't a big deal, and I don't think we need to be accusing people of being platform loyalists just for saying something you don't agree with.

Fair enough. Calling people fanboys was unnecessary. Either way, once the real SMT4 is announced there will no longer be a need for this discussion.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hearing about this game was the first game to get me interested in all things SMT. Can't wait to (hopefully) finally play it in English after SCEA fucked us all over back in the day.

Apenheul

I've imported a copy of Devil Survivor for the DS but since Overclocked is confirmed to be released in Europe I wonder if I should buy that one and keep the DS game sealed / sell it off. Are the additional features worth waiting for or should I just unwrap the one I have right here and play it?

Soulhouf

Soejima who copies Kaneko's style = epic fail.

Atlus, you need to call Kaneko. The megaten series definitely lost it's charm without him :-(

Jucksalbe

Banned
I've imported a copy of Devil Survivor for the DS but since Overclocked is confirmed to be released in Europe I wonder if I should buy that one and keep the DS game sealed / sell it off. Are the additional features worth waiting for or should I just unwrap the one I have right here and play it?

It has an additional day, voices and three save slots. I have bought both and didn't regret it.

Sophia

Soejima who copies Kaneko's style = epic fail.

Atlus, you need to call Kaneko. The megaten series definitely lost it's charm without him :-(

The difference in his art style for the protagonist is almost unnoticeable. So unnoticeable that people in this very thread mist took it for Kaneko's art. You can hardly call that "epic fail"

Aeana

so does this mean the unofficial translation will get released after a us 3ds port

From what I've gathered, Gemini's computer went kaput so he isn't working on it right now, so I think it has little chance of being released before. He may decide to just drop it in light of this news, as well, which I think would be for the best anyway.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I've been looking around and I'm surprised that some people are dismissing this because it's a port, especially those who haven't played it before. Did people really want Atlus to remake the game in 3D and port their PS2 models to 3DS or something?

Midou

It isn't like the development of this precludes more major projects.

This is true, and of course an enhanced port is much shorter development cycle than a full game, but I would have loved for them to at least officially announce development on some kind of new SMT on a console. While I have wanted to play soul hackers, it being done after the announcement or release of several persona ports, some of which are games from only last-gen, it upsets me that they probably spend too much time porting.

geebee

Banned
I hope they leave in an option for the original music.. I don't want to hear Shoji Meguro's cheap-sounding brass and strings...

7threst

Atlus is hard at work finding new SMT games to port, I see :p

I'll buy the localized version when it comes here.

Well, I'm not sure how these releases are perceived in the the rest of the world, but here in Europe the Megaten-games haven't been released before the PS2 era so having finally the chance to play these games is really, really great.

Vamphuntr

Yeah man they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel ay

Hopefully a SMT 1-2 remake/compilation is also at the bottom of said barrel :)

I think it was randomkid that was keeping track of all the SMT games they ported so far? I'm curious to see what else they could port at this point from that list. SMT 1,2 IF would be cool but they already ported those to PSX and 1/2 were on gba too.

They're becoming the new SE in that regard.

Sophia

They may not be, but I really would have preferred a new major console SMT or something.

I'm perfectly fine with porting one of the best pre Nocturne SMT games ever made that few of you have probably even played to a current generation console.

And this time I'll get to actually understand everything! :p

Sophia

Pretty sure Soul Hackers is and as always been Kaneko. He just hadn't developed his style to look like Nocturne/DDS just yet.

Soejima's art started with Persona 3 (Stella Deus before that, but that's not Megaten)

No. The in-game art for Persona 2 and Soul Hackers was always Soejima. Soul Hackers (AFAIK) was his first game.

Compare:

Hitomi in Kaneko's style vs Hitomi in game art.

Maya in Kaneko's Style vs Maya in game art

Kaneko did do all the character art for Persona 1, however.

Midou

I'm perfectly fine with porting one of the best pre Nocturne SMT games ever made that few of you have probably even played to a current generation console.

And this time I'll get to actually understand everything! :p

Yeah, like I said, I have really wanted to play this, I was watching some videos from it a few months ago even. That said, it's following a huge line of ports, and it makes me feel Atlus has its priorities wrong. If we got more enhanced ports like soul hackers, I would not mind but so many recent games got ported too.

Sophia

No different from what Atlus has always done in the past. Actually, their ports have more merit now that they're getting to games that weren't previously localized.

Midou

I guess in truth some of their older games have been ported to quite a few platforms, it's just if you look at last-gen, there was Persona 3 and 4, 2 Devil Summoner games, 2 Digital Devil Sagas, and of course, SMT: Nocturne on consoles. This gen there is, Catherine, and that is about it, even that is a pretty short game.

I know a lot of things have changed between gens, handhelds are more like consoles, and there were a number of good handheld games, but I'm still waiting for a full fledged SMT game this gen. Strangest Journey may be the (un)official SMT4, but it still very much feels like a handheld game when compared to like Nocturne.

Sophia

Hmm, I see what you are saying. It's tough for me to tell, the in-game art is really pixellated (which is totally normal for the era, but still). Thanks for the shots.

You can still tell the difference in the facial structures. More noticeable with Maya; She's missing Kaneko's signature eyelashes in the Soejima art, and less of her forehead shows. The eye designs are different too.

I guess in truth some of their older games have been ported to quite a few platforms, it's just if you look at last-gen, there was Persona 3 and 4, 2 Devil Summoner games, 2 Digital Devil Sagas, and of course, SMT: Nocturne on consoles. This gen there is, Catherine, and that is about it, even that is a pretty short game.

I know a lot of things have changed between gens, handhelds are more like consoles, and there were a number of good handheld games, but I'm still waiting for a full fledged SMT game this gen. Strangest Journey may be the (un)official SMT4, but it still very much feels like a handheld game when compared to like Nocturne.

Catherine and Strange Journey, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus was struggling with HD development, they're not a very big company.

I'm still kinda curious about Persona 5. There was a lot of concepts for Persona 3 that were left on the cutting room floor because of the limitations of the PS2.

vall03

No different from what Atlus has always done in the past. Actually, their ports have more merit now that they're getting to games that weren't previously localized.

yup, this is one of the reasons why I don't mind Atlus porting games sometimes. They now have more chances of being localized compared to years ago. So, Im going to patiently wait for SMT I, II, if and also the original Devil Summoner.

Aeana

Atlus simply didn't have a good home this generation. I don't know if things will be better next (well, this now that 3DS and Vita are out) generation, but I do know that Atlus has some exciting things in the works, so we'll see what happens.

The difference in his art style for the protagonist is almost unnoticeable. So unnoticeable that people in this very thread mist took it for Kaneko's art. You can hardly call that "epic fail"

The in-battle status picture of the hero is Kaneko's version. Same shading and everything. I don't know why they're doing that, considering they drew new art for him, but whatever.

Sophia

The in-battle status picture of the hero is Kaneko's version. Same shading and everything. I don't know why they're doing that, considering they drew new art for him, but whatever.

Possibly a placeholder? I know P4A had a lot of placeholder art at first too.

Atlus simply didn't have a good home this generation. I don't know if things will be better next (well, this now that 3DS and Vita are out) generation, but I do know that Atlus has some exciting things in the works, so we'll see what happens.

I do hope for a lot on the 3DS. I'm not too sold on the Vita with it's overpriced memory cards yet, but I'll eventually have to buy for all the Persona games. ><

They're doing new music? If so then I also hope for an option to use the original music.

Meguro composed the original, or he was one of the composers at any rate, so I'd expect switchable soundtracks

Top Bottom