• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "On PC, you don't usually care about performance"; just buy a bigger GPU

Alej

Banned
Wait, who called him an idiot?

This kind of posts:

I'm being serious when I say this is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on GAF.

1-vince-mcmahon-wwe-funny-face.gif

So, funny face gif?

Pondering retard jpg?

This is absolutely ridiculous.

You prefer a broken console port over a much better running PC version (which also allows you to mod and install fan patches) just because you don't know you can plug in a controller in your PC and play the game this way without M+K?

I think he knows, but heck, he's right about majority of PC games (notably the most interesting: exclusives) unplayable with controllers.

And then, you know what's ridiculous? This:

I don't have a response, I was just ruffling your feathers. Even though you can't argue that a no-console future would be better for all those involved and save gamers an immense amount of money due to not having the term "exclusive" which jacks the cost of everything up.

This is what i call ridiculous.

And then you see this:

No daddy! I don't want to eat that green thing, I'm a fucking baby! Get it in your head!

You are the absolute worst console loving poster I have ever seen. So ignorant to everything that you dislike. It's literally like arguing with a 4 year old.

WTF? This is a powerful argument. Authority vs ignorance blabla.

Seriously, i'm not ok at all with coldfoot's argument, but stop that elitist attitude bullshit.

Console gamers can be smart like everyone else. It's not an anomaly to play on a console. It's just a dedicated gaming machine. What's the point?

And seriously guys, on topic, you know what is mindblowing, it's the big horde going in all those "bad performance on console"'s threads with ON PC WE CAN UPGRADE to have better performance. And what, now it's bullshit? It isn't what make PC gaming great because with the right amount of money you can have the horsepower you want?

derExperte

It's upsetting that gamers take this and turn it into some political battle. The top comment in that news article is "fuck you Ubisoft". People spend years of their lives caring about gaming minutiae and still get a literal "fuck you".

I'm not excusing the language some of those people use but can you really blame them for being fed up? AC3 was a very bad port and AC4 isn't much better. Then saying something like this will of course rile customers up. Plus Uplay, other statements from employees or delays (AC3 was released weeks after PS360).

And seriously guys, on topic, you know what is mindblowing, it's the big horde going in all those "bad performance on console"'s threads with ON PC WE CAN UPGRADE to have better performance. And what, now it's bullshit? It isn't what make PC gaming great because with the right amount of money you can have the horsepower you want?

See, you don't get it either, just like other 'glad I bought xyz for PS4" dudes. This thread is about a horrible port that needs extremely powerful PCs to reach performance levels that should be achieved with much lower specs. See games from devs/pubs who give a shit. AC4 doesn't even scale with more than two cores, that's unacceptable and has nothing do with being able to play games with 120fps, AA and higher details than on consoles.

Alej

Banned
So wait, someone asserts that PC gamers have more disposable income, you say that's an insult but then later agree:

Then somebody posts a graph supporting the fact that PC gamers spend more and then you just instantly dismiss it because apparently those games don't count just because.

Right. And you wonder why people are reacting negatively, this is some shameful troll shit right now man. To think you were the one going off talking about gamefaqs level of discourse too.

I know, it's frustrating seeing this shit though.

I said that: "They have the less disposable income because as we see they generally spend less", is also true (in theory it's much more complicated than that and we are both false).

It's an absurd argument, we don't know who have the most disposable income for gaming. It depends of plenty of external and individualized factors.

I don't dismiss it, i say in that 20$B, the majority is not console ports, it's not the same kind of market and publishers know this. Sorry for being a little confuse.

edit: And i'm not a troll, i'm not here as a console warrior or something, note that please. It's not because someone isn't okay with you that it's a troll. I'm not. If you think i am, don't feed me, i don't care.

Nocturno999

I always had a hunch that gimmicky features and lazy optimizations are the main reasons that force people to upgrade in most cases these days.
These companies are in cahoots with hardware makers.

Alej

Banned
See, you don't get it either, just like other 'glad I bought xyz for PS4" dudes. This thread is about a horrible port that needs extremely powerful PCs to reach performance levels that should be achieved with much lower specs. See games from devs/pubs who give a shit. AC4 doesn't even scale with more than two cores, that's unacceptable and has nothing do with being able to play games with 120fps, AA and higher details than on consoles.

In fact i'm very ok with this, it's pretty ironic that it's an Ubi guys who said this.
But the fact is, yes, on PC, if you have bad performance, you upgrade or take a loss on fidelity. You can't on console where you have to match acceptable fidelity with acceptable performance on a dedicated hardware.

Sentenza

Very frustrating to see gamers saying to another gamer that he's stupid because he doesn't like to play on their platform of choice. PC gamers aren't smarter in this game, they are the same.

Here comes another one with a long history of living to fight a long, fierce console war.
Now we just need Ghost Cell and Sawyer and we have a full set.

This kind of posts:

So, funny face gif?

Pondering retard jpg?

Two things: those responses are to things he posted, not him personally. There's nothing wrong with saying that you think a statement is idiotic. Secondly, that person is not retarded they have Down's. Big difference, and pretty offensive really.

Alej

Banned
Here comes another one with a long history of living to fight a long, fierce console war.

yUweRGK.jpg

Yes, i am. Seriously stop.

Secondly, that person is not retarded they have Down's. Big difference, and pretty offensive really.

It's the name of the file. /facepalm

Can we get out of this. I don't know what's the story behind coldfoot, i wasn't defending him, but things aren't whole black or white, some of his arguments were on point IMO. I have the right to say that and you can defend your opinion too, but i really prefer an educate answer over a: "it's a troll" or something.

DeaviL

Banned

Sssshhhhhh, if you say their names enough times they'll actually come.

ps:It's funny how PC gamers always get mocked with the master race for going into console threads...

coldfoot

Banned
Not sure where you moved your goalposts to since posting this but does Super Meat Boy count?
Sells a million over a period of time, half of which is a part of the humble bundle and costs pennies? No.

Or Skyrim, that sold extremely well over a very long period of time and it wouldn't suprise me if it has surpassed the PS3 version.
Wikipedia says otherwise but I don't know if it's legit. So your only argument against console games not selling well on PC is "Skyrim might have sold more with zero backup"?
Looks like you agree with me.

And I agree with Alej, the majority of that $20B is NOT console ports, which just happen to be the kind of games that really push GPU's. So you get ports like AC and NFS. It is what it is.

Alej

Banned
Is this the moment where pc gamers post their console info? Seriously, stahp.

So what? Someone is saying i'm a console warrior, and then i don't have the right to disapprove? Okay guys, i'm just a schyzophrenic console warrior that plays the majority of his time on PC these days, and it's because i have a different opinion, i understand the message.

I just wanted to say: i'm a PC gamer in a PC thread, and nothing else.

Nethaniah

So what? Someone is saying i'm a console warrior, and then i don't have the right to disapprove? Okay guys, i'm just a schyzophrenic console warrior that plays the majority of his time on PC these days, and it's because i have a different opinion, i understand the message.

You are a console warrior, posting your thousands of hours of playing a pc game or two doesn't change that.

Kingbrave

I just go where the games are. It can be PC, Xbox or Playstation. Hell I'll hook up an Atari every once in awhile.

There is no excuse for shoddy parts no matter the system.

Sentenza

Yes, i am. Seriously stop.
"Seriously stop" what?
Do I actually have to fish in your posting history?
It doesn't take much, really. You just go back a few days (where you are just busy gushing all over the PS4 launch) and you can already start finding several of your posts antagonizing/mocking PC gamers at every given chance.

And now you are throwing at me your playtime with Civ V as if it was a proof of something, in the same way someone would tell me about his dearest black friend to prove how he's not a racist.

Alej

Banned
Fixed platform vs upgradeable platform.

What's the problem?

There's none. It's PC's advantage to be upgradeable. But don't care about my opinion, i'm a console warrior.

Frankly, if i inherit some "console warrior" bullshit title because of you guys, i'll commit suicide or something, lol.

"Seriously stop" what?
Do I actually have to fish in your posting history?
It doesn't take much, really. You just go back a few days (where you are just busy gushing all over the PS4 launch) and you can already start finding several of your posts antagonizing/mocking PC gamers at every given chance.

And now you are throwing at me your playtime with Civ V as if it was a proof of something, in the same way someone would tell me about his dearest black friend to prove how he's not a racist.

I can see me mocking some false arguments about PC, you have a point if you look at my posting history. But then, i'm not mocking PC as a platform. PC is good and fine, i said this countless times if you really want to check.

Can we get out of this. I don't know what's the story behind coldfoot, i wasn't defending him, but things aren't whole black or white, some of his arguments were on point IMO. I have the right to say that and you can defend your opinion too, but i really prefer an educate answer over a: "it's a troll" or something.

That's not how this works, you are accountable for your past behaviour. Not all opinions deserve equal consideration, if someone continually pushes an agenda then they will be dismissed with less respect every time they push it; particularly when they come into threads like this and do so despite it adding precisely nothing to the discussion of the topic at hand.

Kingbrave

One of the reasons I like doing anything PC related is messing around with the innards. Whether it's ini files or taking it apart to install some new gadget.

I like consoles to, they just take away my joy of troubleshooting/fixing shit!

derExperte

Sells a million over a period of time, half of which is a part of the humble bundle and costs pennies? No.

Wikipedia says otherwise but I don't know if it's legit. So your only argument against console games not selling well on PC is "Skyrim might have sold more with zero backup"?

Ah, now I see your goalposts again, had to catch my binoculars. And just fyi the Skyrim percentages per system on Wiki are pulled from a certain banned site that they published after two days without digital sales. 100% useless. Also do I have to quote stuff you posted without any backup or data you preferred to ignore? At least I don't pretend to be sure about something despite having no clue.

Fixed platform vs upgradeable platform.

What's the problem?

THe problem that there is no excuse for not optimizing the settings and code on the PC version just because you have the excuse (lol, just upgrade to two SLI 780s).

That development mentality is stupid and all PC devs with any mind would say that. You of course have to optimize the game.. this quote implies that you do not give a shit about optimization on the PC.... which is why Ubisoft's game tend to only look OK and run like shit.

Guri

I really don't want to get into this discussion, but I think it's important to know that Steam doesn't provide sales numbers, except to publishers, and they usually don't share them (as well as other digital sales on consoles too). So the best thing you'll have is something like this.

20cent

Banned
I don't know what he meant nor what you understood but black flag runs flawlessly in the highest settings on my single gtx670. I don't know any AAA game released this month that works better on a lower configuration. But just because it's Ubi " lolilol douches they dunno anything about gaming go get f..ed and god bless EA for their perfect handling of their multiplayer games since so many years and Omg dat 10 years old map pack".

saelz8

The unoptimization in AC and other Ubi games goes beyond brute force. They would perform poorly, far into the future. You literally can't upgrade to a "Bigger GPU" right now.

Even TITANS dip into the 30's in AC4. 780's as well. There is literally NO EXCUSE, unless you want to condone shitty, lazy development. Benchmarks suggests something else is going on, given the engine being run.

What's wrong with asking for optimized games, regardless the hardware? Comeon. Captain Obvious isn't a job title, nor is it a career. Some of you want to reiterate the status quo, or explain why things are the way they are? Fine, but that's not an argument supporting why it SHOULD BE that way, or stay that way. Everyone should be supporting optimized games, on all platforms. It's good for everyone. I promise.

coldfoot

Banned
Ah, now I see your goalposts again, had to catch my binoculars. And just fyi the Skyrim percentages per system on Wiki are pulled from a certain banned site that they published after two days without digital sales.
They're not from vgbannedsite, but I'm not sure if they're legit.
100% useless. Also do I have to quote stuff you posted without any backup or data you preferred to ignore? At least I don't pretend to be sure about something despite having no clue.
When you suggest Skyrim PC sales might have outpaced the troublesome PS3 port as an argument to how console ports might sell on PC, yes you are pretending to be sure about something. Not to mention conveniently ignoring the 360, which had monster sales of Skyrim.
You know how I know PC ports of console games aren't selling well? because of the lack of effort developers/publishers put into them. You can't get any more damning evidence than that.

I don't know what he meant nor what you understood but black flag runs flawlessly in the highest settings on my single gtx670. I don't know any AAA game released this month that works better on a lower configuration. But just because it's Ubi " lolilol douches they dunno anything about gaming go get f..ed and god bless EA for their perfect handling of their multiplayer games since so many years and Omg dat 10 years old map pack".

The unoptimization in AC and other Ubi games goes beyond brute force. They would perform poorly, far into the future. You literally can't upgrade to a "Bigger GPU" right now.

Even TITANS dip into the 30's in AC4. 780's as well. There is literally NO EXCUSE, unless you want to condone shitty, lazy development. Benchmarks suggests something else is going on, given the engine being run.

What's wrong with asking for optimized games, regardless the hardware? Comeon. Captain Obvious isn't a job title, nor is it a career. Some of you want to reiterate the status quo, or explain why things are the way they are? Fine, but that's not an argument supporting why it SHOULD BE that way, or stay that way. Everyone should be supporting optimized games, on all platforms. It's good for everyone. I promise.

A tale of two anecdotes

When you suggest Skyrim PC sales might have outpaced the troublesome PS3 port as an argument to how console ports might sell on PC, yes you are pretending to be sure about something. Not to mention conveniently ignoring the 360, which had monster sales of Skyrim.
You know how I know PC ports of console games aren't selling well, because of the lack of effort developers/publishers put into them. You can't get any more damning evidence than that.

Should we list all the AAA games of the past year which have had piles of PC exclusive love? Even Skyrim has a Bethsoft official high resolution texture pack, and Steam workshop support.

DeaviL

Banned

At least post FPS and Settings when you post something like "flawless",
Some people here call 15FPS flawless.

derExperte

You know how I know PC ports of console games aren't selling well, because of the lack of effort developers/publishers put into them. You can't get any more damning evidence than that.

Google "skyrim 14%". One of the first hits brings me to the article on VGC which other sites used as a source. The other percentages on Wiki are there as well.

And where are your numbers? You're the one that said 'never sell better' (which btw makes the sales of the 360 irrelevant). That's such a strong statement that you're the one that needs to be able to back it up. Obviously you can't. Plus 'wouldn't suprise me' doesn't mean someone is sure.

THe problem that there is no excuse for not optimizing the settings and code on the PC version just because you have the excuse (lol, just upgrade to two SLI 780s).

That development mentality is stupid and all PC devs with any mind would say that. You of course have to optimize the game.. this quote implies that you do not give a shit about optimization on the PC.... which is why Ubisoft's game tend to only look OK and run like shit.

You know, John Carmack made some point about this. I don't have exact quotes, so I will be paraphrasing things, but I believe that Carmack said that trying to squeeze additional optimizations out of gamecode can become pointless in the long run on non fixed hardware like PC. Generally all that time spent on additional optimization could be made irrelevant with driver or hardware upgrades or could even cause unforeseen issues in the future if you rely on optimization hacks.

I think he said something like, all that time wasted on optimizations could be spent elsewhere doing something more productive to the final game.

Of course I am talking about additional game optimizations and not about writing good code in general which should dictate good performance.

All this talk about which platform is more popular is meaningless to me, I chose PC this gen for one reason.

i1RrG3tR54Z6W.gif

One image is Forza running on PC and the other is on the actual console hardware.
I think forza is a bad example, it's the only next gen game that actually runs at 60 fps, 1080p (real 60 fps, not drops to 40)
But yeah, the reveal trailers of all the games have been e3 2005 levels of deception
Everything that looked too good to be true, ended up too good to be true

If more games had been like this last gen on my ps3 or 360 then i'd have been a lot less bitter about buying them.

This thread is about shitty optimisation, forza is not that

Wow, I never knew it's that bad. The game doesn't look good enough to justify the power needed.

coldfoot

Banned
You know what, I played AC4 for a bit, and I realize this game isn't worth discussing about. Not even 4k at 120fps can save it from being tedious, boring garbage.
PC folks don't bother with this game.

inm8num2

http://community.videogamer.com/for..._pc_optimisation_isnt_important/page3/#478904

That's not what Sylvain was saying, though, which is why the quote was taken out of context. We need to update our video cards in the studio just like everyone else on the planet, it's not like we build them ourselves.

You don't lead with optimization, that would be crazy. You lead by trying prototypes to see what's possible, knowing that over the course of a two or three year development cycle, technology will change considerably.

If we didn't care about PC, we wouldn't bother making our games work on the platform at all. That would be not caring.

In regards to the Neogaf complaints, we're aware of these issues and are working to correct the ones we can as quickly as we can. With the great variety of PC hardware available, issues arise that you don't see until post launch (you see this with consoles too, even though the hardware is fixed/static), and while this is regrettable, it's unavoidable.

velociraptor

PC version is harder. There's also better players on PC.

If you think I'm saying that as a PC elitist well

PS3
What is that link supposed to prove?

I only play single player games on PC because unless I use a mouse and keyboard, I'm put at an immediate disadvantage. Unfortunately, I hate mouse and keyboard.

For me, multiplayer is an awful experience on the PC. It would be nice if there was an option of 'controller only' lobbies :p

Damian.

Banned
Releasing nothing on the PC would be ignoring the platform, not caring about PC is releasing unoptimized games. Seems like they don't care. A so called next-gen engine should be built for a Quad-core machine as a bare minimum and leave 6-8 core/thread programming as a possibility.

Top Bottom