• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Which one has the most fun battle system?

This is subjective. Pretty much all of them have the same "metamechanics" (roll gacha for toons/equipment, fuse them into each other to power them up, evolve them with frustratingly rare materials, some kind of social aspect) so just try them all out and eventually you'll find ones that click with you more.

well which ones are on the nuanced complex side?
Well, you already shot down Terra Battle, but how long did you play it and how deep did you get into its mechanics?

I'm no expert in these games, but I would have trouble seeing anything better than Terra Battle. It really feels (probably to its own detriment, financially speaking) designed to be a great video game first and a cash/gacha game second.

kenbo

yeah, tbh I've only finished the tutorial of Terra Battle - i just cant see where it leads

I really enjoyed PAD's battle system and I thought it could be a great puzzle game in and of itself. Terra's battle system seems to be moving squares around

Lockon

Anyone know anything about The World End Eclipse? Apparently there's a PC version too in addition to the mobile versions. I can't seem to find any gameplay in video form at all. Only pictures on their site.

gy8b.jpg

main page is here: http://theworldendeclipse.jp/
you can also register for free stuffs here: https://wee.sega-online.jp/entry/

yeah, tbh I've only finished the tutorial of Terra Battle - i just cant see where it leads
I would definitely suggest giving it a real go if you are interested. It LOOKS really simple and silly but it is dripping with strategy. You need to get into setting up massive chains and combos in single turns using the push/pull system (basically, the character you control can push others around, so you try to get everything into perfect spots). The recently added companion/equipment system adds a pretty good layer to customization to it as well.

Terra's battle system seems to be moving squares around
That exactly what my wife says, haha.

Anyone know anything about The World End Eclipse? Apparently there's a PC version too in addition to the mobile versions. I can't seem to find any gameplay in video form at all. Only pictures on their site.

gy8b.jpg

aah, Japanese text, my worst enemy! What do I do to preregister?

It would be good idea to separate ones released in west from Japan only titles in first post.

Good suggestion, I'll work on it.
Thanks!

Azusa

Thanks, I got a mail with some Japanese text in my inbox, I have to do nothing else right?

Also added it to the OP, I'm assuming it still has to be released, am I correct?

it's coming out October 28th so soon

it looks really interesting

has the tower defense of Chain Chronicles but it also has a three line battle system like what Tales of Rebirth has

it also looks very pretty

hopefully I can make time for it~

I really enjoyed PAD's battle system and I thought it could be a great puzzle game in and of itself. Terra's battle system seems to be moving squares around

PAD is deceptively simple in terms of teambuilding diversity, not to mention the high skill ceiling in terms of board manipulation (one particularly infamous player-savant is here). The early game can be crushing especially if you rolled sub-optimally from the gacha though.

When I played PAD I started with Umisachi &Yamasachi. It was a fun challenge to get everything right and since even that one character completely dedicated the way I had to look at the board I can't even begin to fathom how much depth the game has since there seem to be a bunch of character like that.

PAD definitely has the best puzzles of all the games I tried, too bad I uninstalled it, I wonder if now is a good time to get back into it, looking at the gameplay made me anxious to try it out again. It's always annoying with these games to realilze that you have missed a bunch of collaboration, I think there was a Fist of the North Star and even an Evangelion collab. And oh god the reroll grind...

NOPE. It's harder and harder to play new mobages while trying to continue grinding in the old ones.

I just drop them or put them in the "log in daily until new content comes" tier. It's what I'm planning to with that Rune Story game, fortunately I can just rush through it because it lacks a stamina system.

chrono01

I have tried Rune Story but 3D models are ugly -> uninstalled.
I wish we got the 2D portraits, as well as the original Japanese VO. :(

There's a lot of petitioning for it, though, so here's hoping Colopl finds a way to make it happen. The gameplay is great, which is why I'm still playing it, but I do agree that the character models leave much to be desired. :/

I've dabbled in Love Live, P&D, Terra Battle, Final Fantasy, and others

The only ones that have stuck so far are Quiz RPG (REALLY great when the devs hadn't abandoned it. I was regularly placing in the top 500 players and the Quiz questions were good fun. Great artwork, too.) and Glee Forever which is relatively new, but basically follows the Love Live model with a few tweaks and a predominantly US audience.

Falk

that puzzling face
Late to the Terra Battle discussion but it's got like the best battle system ever.

Which is a pity because the game suffers from a dire lack of content, so after a certain point where you've beaten the first season, you really don't know what to do except embrace the mindless grind (which lasts for months, if you know what I'm talking about) with nothing meaningful to beat in between.

The game suffers major retention problems. But damn if it's not a fun time while the content lasts.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I wanted to try Rune Story since I always see it in Top Grossing in Japan, but when I saw the art... :/

Lockon

There's gameplay preview here from Famitsu for World End Eclipse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlXMHpo7pc

Thanks for the vids. Guess it's some kind of tower defense game...with 2 rows. Will try at least. I guess crystals are for summoning weapons...hope not for characters also. I hate it when a game make you summon both characters and weapons lol

So is there anyone here watching that Monster Strike Anime thingy? It's basically a 8 minute ad but since it's rather charming and faithful to the game it's a fun watch. I'm not super experienced with the game but It's still cool to see how the game mechanics are worked into the show. I'd recommend everyone who's able to relate to Monster Strike to check it out.

You can watch the English version of the show on this official Youtube Channel, episodes are released weekly.

-------

For some reason it's kinda funny to me that we get these things for Mobile games, in the past they existed to advertise stuff like Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh but nowadays mobile gaming is mainstream enough that even anime adaptations of that are released, times change I guess.

Azusa

Anyone tried Fantasy War Tactics? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJBgr3mQSrk

Seems to have been released in English for some countries but Android only. Looks like some mobile version of Disgaea/FFT gameplay.

I have played CBT and OBT later. The game is fun and art is nice but when it was released they nerfed all rewards and made it p2w. Sad. Once again NEXON ruined anointer mobile game.

What's wrong with it? I don't see anything out of the ordinary when looking at some screenshots.

I have completed tutorial and didn't like cards and characters art in the game. Not only the art but I think they are using low-quality assets.

This is kinda a cross post from the Terra Battle OT, but figured I'd ask here as well. I've already re-rolled 6 or 7 times and have yet to get anywhere close to an SS unit. Is it essential that I get one of those at the start, or can I begin the game now and worry about getting an SS later?

Visceir

made an OT for Rune Story/White Cat Project

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128702

You can add it to the OP if you like.

Shows again how important artstyle is, haha. The game can have the most fun ever, but if the artstyle is bad then I probably won't care to play it.

Gave this one a try -- game is solid and gameplay seems fun enough. Will definitely give this one another go when it comes out in english. Hopefully they'll have much more characters added by then.

This is kinda a cross post from the Terra Battle OT, but figured I'd ask here as well. I've already re-rolled 6 or 7 times and have yet to get anywhere close to an SS unit. Is it essential that I get one of those at the start, or can I begin the game now and worry about getting an SS later?

You can probably beat the story mode even with an all-monsters team, but getting the right SS would make progressing through the game much faster and more convenient. The SS/Z mages get loads of area attacks that pretty much cover the whole screen -- that makes grinding for exp and clearing floors of mobs much-much easier in future. Or for example the twins Yukken/Rikken have a skill that increases the chance of capturing a monster, which would make min-maxing and getting some truly awesome units easily later on in the game.

Some SS characters are quite bad, meanwhile some B/A characters are seriously good.

I thought you guys were kidding about Rune Story's art looking terrible, but I took a look at a screenshot and I think they attempted to westernize the art style for the american release?!

I'm playing Fate/Grand Order because of the franchise. I don't really think I would be playing it otherwise. I guess I've had moderately good luck with my gacha pulls though so it's hard to complain, if I was having truly awful luck I would probably have quit by now.

I imagine Miyamoto looking at a smartphone and don't understand why Granblue Fantasy is right now so successful in Japan.

I imagine Miyamoto looking at smartphones a lot these days since Nintendo is going deep into mobile with DeNA last we heard

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, I've decided that I can't be bothered to play these games unless there's an auto-play mode. I'm trying Rune Story and I just can't be bothered to play it all the time, haha. Dragon Blaze has me spoiled.

chrono01

It's a shame about Rune Story's graphical style since the actual gameplay is a lot of fun. I'm still playing it and having a lot of fun, but I can completely understand how some might not opt to.

Azusa

Muramasa-Miyabi-. (戦国姫譚MURAMASA-雅-)
http://muramasa-miyabi.siliconstudio.co.jp/
Only on android for now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.siliconstudio.muramasa.miyabi
iOS soon?
JP wiki: http://muramasa-miyab.gamerch.com/

Silicon Studio is a publisher.

This game is similar to TerraBattle. You need to move units on the board towards a monster and your units will attack them.

Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/eTVWljCrWKk?t=8m33s

If you wan to reroll... after the tutorial it's possible to get a 5*.
Gatcha rates:
★ 5 ... 1.5%
★ 4 ... 8.1%
★ 3 ... 90.4%

HawthorneKitty

This game is similar to TerraBattle. You need to move units on the board towards a monster and your units will attack them.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeah, there's a grid board with units plus enemies.... that's all it shares with Terra Battle.

garath

Great thread. I see a lot of familiar usernames in here :) for some reason I love these gatcha games. It's a lot of fun to join a new game and work on improving your team and overcoming challenges. The best games give you enough freebies to keep that sense of progression and even give you some hooks to want to spend some money. The worst ones have really long plateaus where it takes a monumental amount of grinding to overcome. Or you just run out of content.

I've played a bunch:
- chain chronicle
- final fantasy record keeper
- brave frontier
- Tera battle
- dragon blaze
- seven knights
- monster strike
- puzzles and dragons
- one piece

Just the ones off the top of my head.

However I only reglaurly play a few:

- dragon blaze
- chain chronicle
- seven knights (just started)

Of all of them I've gotten the most enjoyment out of chain chronicle, dragon blaze, brave frontier and seven knights. They each have pretty big flaws though.

Dragon blaze suffers from a serious "rich get richer" issue. After a certain point, your Ruby income potential is severely limited against the stronger players and that just compounds week after week. The stronger players place better and get more rubies which in turn lets them make their teams stronger and continue the dominance.

Chain chronicle is very luck dependant. No combining units or anything so you either work hard to get the free units and/or hope you get lucky pulling the gatcha.

Brave frontier was great but I just got a little bored after awhile. Happens. Plus my daily login bonus kept resetting despite logging on the same time every day. It was pissing me off to no end.

Seven knights is good fun, its a top 5 game in korea apparently but for global there isn't a lot of content yet.

I'm really looking forward to phantom kill and now Granblue fantasy is on my radar.

These games can't come soon enough. I have almost 2 hours of bus riding per day with my work commute. Good windows to just play around with these games on my phone.

bjork

There's a time attack event going on in Drift Spirits right now. Free nitrous usage during those specific races. So far the tickets only got me a bunch of parts and a Civic, but it's still fun to save up tickets and see what your order results are. It seems to be a little more stingy than it was during the D1GP event, but that's okay.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Of all of them I've gotten the most enjoyment out of chain chronicle, dragon blaze, brave frontier and seven knights. They each have pretty big flaws though.

Dragon blaze suffers from a serious "rich get richer" issue. After a certain point, your Ruby income potential is severely limited against the stronger players and that just compounds week after week. The stronger players place better and get more rubies which in turn lets them make their teams stronger and continue the dominance.

Chain chronicle is very luck dependant. No combining units or anything so you either work hard to get the free units and/or hope you get lucky pulling the gatcha.

Brave frontier was great but I just got a little bored after awhile. Happens. Plus my daily login bonus kept resetting despite logging on the same time every day. It was pissing me off to no end.

Seven knights is good fun, its a top 5 game in korea apparently but for global there isn't a lot of content yet.

I'm really looking forward to phantom kill and now Granblue fantasy is on my radar.

These games can't come soon enough. I have almost 2 hours of bus riding per day with my work commute. Good windows to just play around with these games on my phone.

That's exactly why I stopped Chain Chronicle. The rates were just so bad. I mean, on an epic scale bad. At some point I just had enough and didn't want to wait for 2.0.

Brave Frontier just got to be too much. Power creep was crazy, and once they moved to 6* units i just moved on. Enjoyed my time with it though.

I still have to give Seven Knights a fair try.

Muramasa-Miyabi-. (戦国姫譚MURAMASA-雅-)
http://muramasa-miyabi.siliconstudio.co.jp/
Only on android for now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.siliconstudio.muramasa.miyabi
iOS soon?
JP wiki: http://muramasa-miyab.gamerch.com/

Silicon Studio is a publisher.

Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/eTVWljCrWKk?t=8m33s

Reminds me more of Summons Board

I've dabbled in Love Live, P&D, Terra Battle, Final Fantasy, and others

The only ones that have stuck so far are Quiz RPG (REALLY great when the devs hadn't abandoned it. I was regularly placing in the top 500 players and the Quiz questions were good fun. Great artwork, too.) and Glee Forever which is relatively new, but basically follows the Love Live model with a few tweaks and a predominantly US audience.

I love Quiz RPG, it was very fun when I played. But, eventually, the questions got harder and harder. And, I had to look at wiki/walkthrough for answers, haha. Of course, the language barrier wasn't helping either.

Great thread. I see a lot of familiar usernames in here :) for some reason I love these gatcha games. It's a lot of fun to join a new game and work on improving your team and overcoming challenges. The best games give you enough freebies to keep that sense of progression and even give you some hooks to want to spend some money. The worst ones have really long plateaus where it takes a monumental amount of grinding to overcome. Or you just run out of content.

I've played a bunch:
- chain chronicle
- final fantasy record keeper
- brave frontier
- Tera battle
- dragon blaze
- seven knights
- monster strike
- puzzles and dragons
- one piece

Just the ones off the top of my head.

However I only reglaurly play a few:

- dragon blaze
- chain chronicle
- seven knights (just started)

Same, I love these gacha games, and although I've played most of the ones you mentioned (except the FF one), in addition to Phantom Kill, Divine Gate, Pro Yakyuu Spirits, Granblue, etc.
Most of them just don't last very long with me, I got tired of them after a while, usually a month or so.

The very few games I have actually stuck with over a year or so, is just down to PAD, CC, TerraBattle. Even, then I only casually play them nowadays. But, I guess I have a decent team in them, so I wouldn't want to just give up. I mostly play for the special events nowadays.

HawthorneKitty

There's a time attack event going on in Drift Spirits right now. Free nitrous usage during those specific races. So far the tickets only got me a bunch of parts and a Civic, but it's still fun to save up tickets and see what your order results are. It seems to be a little more stingy than it was during the D1GP event, but that's okay.
Why are you playing the inferior drift game!?

Azusa

gy8b.jpg

Smartphone version is live. Both iOS and Android. No PC version and pre-reg for PC is still open.
Another gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHyAU0KZEI

There is no reroll. Just start playing.

Google Translate said:
In our "World's End Eclipse", the first weapon summons to be performed on the progress of the story, a particular weapon will appear without fail. There is no randomness from multiple weapons. It should be noted that, from the subsequent weapon summoned, in Ryurin being possession, I will be able to summon weapons by probability. [Management] # Warueku
https://twitter.com/warueku/status/659682385886187520
http://theworldendeclipse.gamerch.com/ワルエク リセマラ

I'll try it later today.

Edit: Theme song is performed by May'n (Macross Frontier F) and they also planing to release a visual game guide next week. Is this game trying to be like AAA mobage?

Lockon

Smartphone version is live. Both iOS and Android. No PC version and pre-reg for PC is still open.
Another gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHyAU0KZEI

There is no reroll. Just start playing.

https://twitter.com/warueku/status/659682385886187520
http://theworldendeclipse.gamerch.com/ワルエク リセマラ

I'll try it later today.

Edit: Theme song is performed by May'n (Macross Frontier F) and they also planing to release a visual game guide next week. Is this game trying to be like AAA mobage?

Just started playing right now. Still in tutorial, but all the characters have voiceover so far.

Top Bottom