• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Zalusithix

The MM is really big, in'it.

I really hope they keep it so you can pilot it solo. (I remember Chris saying it was the biggest ship that was still solo'able, which was the only reason i bought it.)

All ships can be piloted solo. Whether it's sane to do so is an entirely different matter.

From ATV (not my images)

ScrFLQN.png

That night scene gives me a boner. This is going to be something we can see and explore in a video game...

Zalusithix

You know what i mean.
I know. Just the same, I don't put much stock in statements like that. Ships get bigger and crew requirements can change. New ships get added in all sorts of sizes. How true that comment will end up being by the release of the ship is anybody's guess.

Shy

I know. Just the same, I don't put much stock in statements like that. Ships get bigger and crew requirements can change. New ships get added in all sorts of sizes. How true that comment will end up being by the release of the ship is anybody's guess.
Tru dat.

Burny

Compare that to Elite where when you first get the Python (comparable in size). You instantly start out in the cockpit and your only real frame of reference for size is the space station's envelope slot when you leave the station.

Even from the outside, the design of the Elite ships is misleading your perception of size. In most of the vehicles that we are accustomed to, the size of the cockpit or rather it's window portion is mostly an indication of how large something is. After all, there's no need to scale the cockpit glass beyond what is a normal window in relation to a human.

Yet, in Elite the cockits grow with the ship sizes to have gigantic dimension, while there are little other fine details on the ships, that could serve as size reference for the eyes. Those three are medium ships.

In comparison, the cockpit sizes of Star Citizen ships are more akin to what one would expect from cockpits constructed by and for humans. As far as I can tell, there is no logical reason to build cockpits the sizes of those in Elite, other than getting rid of excessive amounts of glass or whatever magical material it is instead in space games. It prevents you from being cooked and your eyes from being burned out of their sockets when close to a sun after all, but otherwise behaves mostly like one would expect from glass.

Zalusithix

Even from the outside, the design of the Elite ships is misleading your perception of size. In most of the vehicles that we are accustomed to, the size of the cockpit or rather it's window portion is mostly an indication of how large something is. After all, there's no need to scale the cockpit glass beyond what is a normal window in relation to a human.

Yet, in Elite the cockits grow with the ship sizes to have gigantic dimension, while there are little other fine details on the ships, that could serve as size reference for the eyes. Those three are medium ships.

In comparison, the cockpit sizes of Star Citizen ships are more akin to what one would expect from cockpits constructed by and for humans. As far as I can tell, there is no logical reason to build cockpits the sizes of those in Elite, other than getting rid of excessive amounts of glass or whatever magical material it is instead in space games. It prevents you from being cooked and your eyes from being burned out of their sockets when close to a sun after all, but otherwise behaves mostly like one would expect from glass.
Yeah, on average there's a higher ratio of glass to metal in Elite's cockpits. That said, many of the large glass cockpits in Elite have seats for more than one person, so they are closer to bridges than cockpits. Star Citizen also has bridges with a lot of glass, but there's a major difference in how that glass is handled. Designs in SC tend to break up larger view ports into multiple segments of smaller pieces of glass with metal supports between. This helps sell the size as we associate glass as structurally unsound after a certain point. A panel should only "logically" be so big to us, so by viewing the size of a panel we kind of guess how big the object is.

"Originally Posted by KKRT00 "
I have not posted that ;p
Eh, we're all part of the Star Citizen hive mind here. No big difference. ;)

Does Elite actually have proper interiors you can walk around in now then? I've not actually booted it up in a long time but I'd pop in to check that out. Honestly there's a lot of other stuff that needs to be done before it truly holds my interest, but I do like to check out whatever new stuff springs up.

Does Elite actually have proper interiors you can walk around in now then? I've not actually booted it up in a long time but I'd pop in to check that out. Honestly there's a lot of other stuff that needs to be done before it truly holds my interest, but I do like to check out whatever new stuff springs up.

It has interiors and AFAIK, based on early concept art, all of the ships are designed keeping in mind their potential cargo holds and other interior compartments. The next update for Elite (not the update next week, but after that) will add multi-crew capabilities, but it's unclear whether you will be able to walk around yet.

It has interiors and AFAIK, based on early concept art, all of the ships are designed keeping in mind their potential cargo holds and other interior compartments. The next update for Elite (not the update next week, but after that) will add multi-crew capabilities, but it's unclear whether you will be able to walk around yet.

Ah ok, that's probably the next big step for ED for me. Well unless the Unidentified Artifact story picks up pace again. I feel a bit of an obligation having been one of the first in the scene to the barnacle discovery and possibly first to sell a meta-alloy. Gonna be a long ride home though since I joined Distant Worlds and stopped playing a decent way into the trip.

Burny

... but it's unclear whether you will be able to walk around yet.

They made it quiet clear that Horizons won't contain space legs, iirc. That's almost like developing a separate game in terms of required features, even if limited only to ship interiors. Zero chance of that quietly dropping with an update whose main feature is something vastly less complex. We're looking at material that ought to serve as hook for a new season here.

Well unless the Unidentified Artifact story picks up pace again.
They've had a manually (as in, by dev players acting in game personas) narrated search lead people to the crashed alien ship after Gamecom and have already given sneak peeks of derelict temples on planet surfaces as well as non crashed alien ships for update 2.2 (edit: while we're at it).

Which brings me back to Star Citizen. Are their aliens MIA for the time being? Did they ever say what their plans where?

Zabojnik

Which brings me back to Star Citizen. Are their aliens MIA for the time being? Did they ever say what their plans where?

I very much doubt we'll see the Vanduul in action before S42 hits. So in a year or so. Well, we might get a glimpse in the S42 mission demo.

They haven't been talking about the other alien races much, other than that they're working on them.

Rondras

Banned
I'm trying the game with the free days and wow, I followed the game before(around the verse, gameplays from YT,etc) but man playing it, even at 22 fps(only in Universe) is just awesome.

I went to a Com.Array to fix it, two pirates attacked me, I destroyed both and then went to repair the coms and seriously... I almost cryied, it was so beautiful.

I'm buying the game after the 31(when the try finishes).

I'm trying the game with the free days and wow, I followed the game before(around the verse, gameplays from YT,etc) but man playing it, even at 22 fps(only in Universe) is just awesome.

I went to a Com.Array to fix it, two pirates attacked me, I destroyed both and then went to repair the coms and seriously... I almost cryied, it was so beautiful.

I'm buying the game after the 31(when the try finishes).

i just made a thread about the free play since there was no info about it no where on neogaf besides your post.

I also downloaded the game and ran it just to see how it ran. Its between 45-60 frames for me when I was in that city/social space. But I got a i7 chip and a GTX1080 though.

But ima put some more time into it as I had to leave when I tried it and could only be in the game for about 10 minutes before I had to leave.

Rondras

Banned
i just made a thread about the free play since there was no info about it no where on neogaf besides your post.

I also downloaded the game and ran it just to see how it ran. Its between 45-60 frames for me when I was in that city/social space. But I got a i7 chip and a GTX1080 though.

But ima put some more time into it as I had to leave when I tried it and could only be in the game for about 10 minutes before I had to leave.

I'm playing with an i3-6100 and a 950 in OC mode. I'm not getting the best perfomance, for sure, but is quite good in most parts, asside of Crusade and free roaming in the universe cause well.. it's a big online universe haha

Rondras

Banned
Weeell I couldn't wait so I'm the owner of an Avenger Titan, upgraded from the Mustang of the squadron+online package. I'm very happy with it :)

Weeell I couldn't wait so I'm the owner of an Avenger Titan, upgraded from the Mustang of the squadron+online package. I'm very happy with it :)

Great choice. I recently melted my Reliant and grabbed a Titan. it just fits better as a personal ship to me while filling the same roles and having better hardpoints and a bed. It's so cozy too! I just wish I had a small window in the mid compartment, but I can put the same complaint for my Connie. It's actually a little strange to me that so far, very few of the ships have many widows other than the front facing ones. I guess we'll see more of that with the luxury ships but my bank account doesn't stretch that far.

Less than a month to the next livestream, lads. Day off confirmed. Hype engines in warm up mode.

I take it the next live stream will be the one where they show off Squadron 42? Or at least coincide the release of 2.6 with it? Honestly I figured 2.6 would be coming out around now with 3.0 as a target for this year.

Zabojnik

I take it the next live stream will be the one where they show off Squadron 42? Or at least coincide the release of 2.6 with it? Honestly I figured 2.6 would be coming out around now with 3.0 as a target for this year.

You were perhaps a tad naive in thinking so, young padawan.

I think there's a very good chance we'll see the infamous S42 mission demo, since they were literally hours / days away from having it in a presentable state at CitCon. Not sure about 2.6, they might save it for the December livestream. Still needs some work, apparently.

We're not getting 3.0 this year, that much seems obvious.

You were perhaps a tad naive in thinking so, young padawan.

I think there's a very good chance we'll see the infamous S42 mission demo, since they were literally hours / days away from having it in a presentable state at CitCon. Not sure about 2.6, they might save it for the December livestream. Still needs some work, apparently.

We're not getting 3.0 this year, that much seems obvious.

Yeah I figured as much, was just being hopeful still. I'm just too damn excited for having some more locations to go visit. I keep logging in from time to time just to take my ships out for a spin and occasionally do a few rounds of AC. I get caught in the same cycle with each major release even though I know the ways of early access.

Zabojnik

Yeah I figured as much, was just being hopeful still. I'm just too damn excited for having some more locations to go visit. I keep logging in from time to time just to take my ships out for a spin and occasionally do a few rounds of AC. I get caught in the same cycle with each major release even though I know the ways of early access.

As far as I'm concerned, same rules apply for games in early access (or alpha / beta) as they do for looking at cleavage. You get a sense of it and you look away.

#SeinfeldQuoteForEverything

apav

The free week is still going on, right? I'm thinking about jumping in today.

Yes.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Free-Fly-Fall-2016

Be sure to use someone's referral code when you create an account. If you decide to buy a game package, it gives you 5000 UEC for the finished game and helps that person towards unlocking more bonuses from the referral program. If you don't have any friends that have bought the game, you can use the referral code randomizer on Reddit (as I don't think we have one here):
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...star_citizen_referral_code_randomizer/#button

chifanpoe

And 2.6 will have Star Mariner?, I want to shoot some people and not die in my ship before getting to Kareah haha

They said Star Marine would make 2.6, hopefully we will see in a few more weeks.

Pro-Tip: Fly about 8-10k away from Kereah. Leave your ship and EVA back to it, preferably with a sniper riffle ;)

Rondras

Banned
Yestarday was able to join an empty instance in the PU, 35 fps. oh boi :D

After that the game crashed when I died fighting some pirates(no, they didn't killed me, I crashed into the com.array haha)

Zalusithix

Does anyone here have basic LTI buy back packages SQ42 + SC that they're willing to sell?
You get a refund, then want to sell a package because you had store credit (wouldn't that have been refunded?), and now you want to buy an LTI package? Make up your mind! =P

You get a refund, then want to sell a package because you had store credit (wouldn't that have been refunded?), and now you want to buy an LTI package? Make up your mind! =P

they processed the refund now so no more store credit or package (had a super hornet) now i just need the base package LTI.

I'm immensely curious as to what vaulting like that looks like in first person.

Yeah as am I :D

soon^tm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQEVxFS3vxw

October Town Hall w/

Sean Tracy
Forest Stephan
Eric Kieron Davis

I wish I could be DIscoLando here and filter the questions. They are sitting there with two people involved in heavily technical aspects of the game and yet questions are like "why does game is looks goods?"

Sometimes I wonder...

Top Bottom