• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Does this run better than the old version? Game ran very poorly on my system although I did upgrade my RAM. Running a 760 with now 24 gb of RAM.

Edit: I think their must be something weird going on cause this dude is getting 60fps on what is essentially my card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixH0n2z4Ds

Frame rates are being bottlenecked server-side right now - basically no one can get higher frame rates than the server's simulation, which has been bottoming out around 20-25fps once there are a lot of ships spawned. They're working on fixing that.
Try flying solo (Electronic Access) on the menu and you should see the performance you're expecting from your hardware. There are still CPU bottlenecks causing low GPU utilization which they're working on.

Finally, you can head over to the website and register now and play for free until the 14th, I believe, so go give it a shot if you're curious!

Ah good, I thought that was over for some reason. Updated OP.

Has it released for all backers now?

Yup, I'll edit to make that clear.

Ah I hate my life! I've been waiting forever too see what the baby PU will be like and now this comes out when I have about 48 hours left with my PC until new year, and 17 of those hours are going to be spent downloading the game :(

I really hope we can get an improved patcher out soon. Having to download 30gb every time they update is kind of a pain in the ass.

ultrazilla

Awesome news!

I also joined the Neo Galactic Advancement Foundation(NeoGAF) Star Citizen group.
Please approve me, thanks!

epmode

This is performing no better than the PTU for me.

I managed to get into a ship after getting stuck at the terminals for a while. That's after I had to circle the ship a few times before the USE icon appeared. Then I noticed that my ship's HUD shakes like crazy even when I stand perfectly still.

Looking forward to a stable session someday.

Raticus79

Awesome news!

I also joined the Neo Galactic Advancement Foundation(NeoGAF) Star Citizen group.
Please approve me, thanks!

All right, you're in. We have a roster spreadsheet going - quote this post to see the link if you want to check it out and add your info.

AP90

Does this run better than the old version? Game ran very poorly on my system although I did upgrade my RAM. Running a 760 with now 24 gb of RAM.

24gigs of RAM? I think that would be excessive...16gigs and an 256 SSD should do the trick.... =P

As mentioned above, I will also prob run my computer overnight to download this update.

Last time I flew my ship I failed vertical take off and was just hovering around the flight deck.

24gigs of RAM? I think that would be excessive...16gigs and an 256 SSD should do the trick.... =P

Game is actually running pretty damn nice on my 8gb of RAM, only a 4790k and a 970 to back it too so it's nothing particularly top end. Some of the older cards seem to be really taking a hit from the lack of shader performance however which Star Citizen seems to be pretty heavy on.

Havel

Just downloaded this, never played the pre-alpha. Wow, this looks gorgeous. Shame about the performance at the moment though (to be expected) and all the crashes/disconnects. I imagine the servers are fuckin' overloaded.

5820k @ 4.6
980ti
16GB DDR4

"What do I need to play?"
There's currently a "free flight" free trial going on until Dec 14th. Newly registered accounts can try the game out with three of the starter ships.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist

Basic game packages are $45 and have recently been on sale for $30, so keep an eye out for upcoming sales.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now

I was confused at not seeing an OS X purchase option, as I could've sworn OS X support was part of the KS stretch goals, but apparently not (in part due to the Crytek engine). Then I looked up the potential for that and apparently Roberts made some disparaging remarks about OS X as a platform, so oooookay, guess I'll be playing Elite then.

I was confused at not seeing an OS X purchase option, as I could've sworn OS X support was part of the KS stretch goals, but apparently not (in part due to the Crytek engine). Then I looked up the potential for that and apparently Roberts made some disparaging remarks about OS X as a platform, so oooookay, guess I'll be playing Elite then.

I personally do not remember any considerations regarding OSX (open GL on OSX is terrible from what devs say). Rather linux was defniitely a stretch goal.

Aselith

As mentioned above, I will also prob run my computer overnight to download this update.

Last time I flew my ship I failed vertical take off and was just hovering around the flight deck.

I had 8 and got a good deal on 16 so I left the 8 in for the heck of it. Don't really need it but why not!

tuxfool

Banned
I personally do not remember any considerations regarding OSX (open GL on OSX is terrible from what devs say). Rather linux was defniitely a stretch goal.

Yup. Add that to the fact that macs often have very rigid thermal constraints, leaves you with a machine that is less than ideal for heavy duty games.

Framerate is nice and chunky even with a 980Ti at 1440P, although of course you'd expect that given the state. Scared to leave the space station, lol. Is there a more detailed description of the graphics presets somewhere? Have it at very high right now.

low-G

Pretty happy about how it all looks. Makes a nice tech demo, and I enjoy the MMO feel. Makes me imagine what a full multiplayer environment like this would be like in a full game.

I've been pretty skeptical about the whole thing for a long time, but there's something here. Hopefully it comes together fully.

epmode

I really need to set up a HOTAS. The XBone bindings are making me want to die.

Got to use my quantum drive for the first time! It's pretty neat!

SmartBase

Hopefully the game servers will be stable and accessible by the time I've finished downloading.

Elite's first expansion isn't compatible with OS X either.

Framerate is nice and chunky even with a 980Ti at 1440P, although of course you'd expect that given the state. Scared to leave the space station, lol. Is there a more detailed description of the graphics presets somewhere? Have it at very high right now.

Just a heads up but the performance issue is for the most part server side. I wouldn't worry to much right now about trying to get your graphics presets right, just wait until they fix it or hope to hop into a server with less players which tend to have a better FPS. If you do find one of those servers that would be a better time to fiddle with your settings.

980 Ti is fine for Very High at that resolution. Some areas of the massive map, due to problematic visibilty and an incomplete occlusion culling system, will run a bit worse though.
Just a heads up but the performance issue is for the most part server side. I wouldn't worry to much right now about trying to get your graphics presets right, just wait until they fix it or hope to hop into a server with less players which tend to have a better FPS. If you do find one of those servers that would be a better time to fiddle with your settings.

Also this. Right now you are server simulation and CPU limited.

tuxfool

Banned

Check your CPU loads. SC currently sometimes loads a single core to 100%.

demolitio

My ISP is really going to love me tonight. Downloaded 2 games including R6 Siege which I just finished, and now I'm updating this after a long break. Really excited for this.

Zabojnik

Is the old thread going to get locked?

RIP old thread, long live new one! Well, hopefully not *too* long ... although I suppose we'll only need another big "official" Star Citizen thread when Squadron 42 launches.
So basically we're good until summer 2017.

SmartBase

Does that free fly promotion until the 14th apply to 2.0? Would be nice to have friends along for the ride instead of playing the other disjointed modes.

Raticus79

Does that free fly promotion until the 14th apply to 2.0? Would be nice to have friends along for the ride instead of playing the other disjointed modes.

Yes, they aren't doing separate module access like that any more, so they should be able to get into everything. To play together, you'd hit F11 in game to bring up the contacts menu, add each other and then right click to use the party system. (I haven't tried that out yet)

For people who haven't been following the game, this post from RSI is a nice overview of the features that are currently available and what's coming up.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list
0_o
Mmhc_01.jpg

Shy

For people who haven't been following the game, this post from RSI is a nice overview of the features that are currently available and what's coming up.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list
Noice, i'm going to use this if anyone ever asks what can you do in the game. (or if they try to say you can't do anything, and it's vaporware)
i wished that's what revel and york's look and feel was like, instead of being gaudy and tacky.

SmartBase

Yes, they aren't doing separate module access like that any more, so they should be able to get into everything. To play together, you'd hit F11 in game to bring up the contacts menu, add each other and then right click to use the party system. (I haven't tried that out yet)

Thanks, will give this a shot.

Lol, some dude was talking about sleeping in someone's avenger and I wasn't thinking about it and all of a sudden I see some dude on top of my ship go flying off into the abyss.

How do I get to the FPS station?

tuxfool

Banned
Lol, some dude was talking about sleeping in someone's avenger and I wasn't thinking about it and all of a sudden I see some dude on top of my ship go flying off into the abyss.

How do I get to the FPS station?

You need to Quantum travel to Kareah Station.

Portman

I'll have to give it a try this weekend and sign up for the GAF group. Don't have any friends who are interested so I was worried I'd be flying my constellation alone.

If I read that correctly multi crew stuff is in? If so I'd be up for testing it out over the weekend.

JambiBum

anyone have a good keybinding profile for a thrustmaster t flight?

Also can I get an invite to the gaf org pls. Name in game is jambibum

Watching people take off from space stations is the funniest thing I've seen in a game in a long time. No one knows how to fly it seems, which makes me feel better :p

I got to the military station and picked up an assault rifle ready to blast some fools when I suddenly got a message stating that I was disintegrating in the planet's atmosphere which it then showed, crashing the game.

Top Bottom