• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

redcrayon

You mean the vaults? I can't pass 2 vault doors (east side), probably need some special keys?
You'll get that key later. For now, the hint you need is in one of the vaults on the west side, regarding shallows and trees.

Solution:
Each button surrounded by water and trees needs to be pressed in order of how many trees there are around it. Hit the one in the South first, then North, then West (upper half), then finish with the one next to the puzzle hint in the vault.

bobohoro

Post-game:

So I'm Lv30 and facing Mu'La(?) at Babyl C24, I think that's pretty much the end of the game? Want to do some farming now, what's the best place for EXP/high level drops?

Saphirax

Post-game:

So I'm Lv30 and facing Mu'La(?) at Babyl C24, I think that's pretty much the end of the game? Want to do some farming now, what's the best place for EXP/high level drops?

Babyl C24 :p...

Although if you're after gamble codes/want to level up going to one of the starting dungeons would be better.

omlet

I finished semester 1 last night finally.

Is there any good reason (trophy or more chips/etc.) to go back and re-map previous dungeons that are still accessible but had their maps wiped?

Saphirax

Is there any good reason (trophy or more chips/etc.) to go back and re-map previous dungeons that are still accessible but had their maps wiped?

Not really. Aside from mission related backtracking, the only reason to go back to them is to grind the 3000 battles trophy.

redcrayon

Not really. You'll be popping back into them anyway and even then they generally don't give you access to the full extent of dungeons youve mapped before. It's usually partly the old dungeon and partly new bits added. Plus the old sections will still have the low-rank monsters that aren't worth much xp etc, they are only useful for that trophy.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I haven't had as much time to play as I would have liked (needed to finish SMT4 first), but now I am putting more time into it. I had a question about the Option slot and what the Equip Effects do (U-Lock, U-BST, ect...).

The in game manual doesn't seem to cover it. I've ignored it for awhile now, but I don't want to miss out on something that could be useful.

Looking at the item list and such though this is from the JP version.

It might actually be easier if there are specific items you want to know about as I do not know what the localized text is with the US version unfortunately.

Some examples are like

Friend Task = Ignore Compatibility (this is the rating that is made from the combination of alignments in the party I think)

Love Task = Open Compatibility (am not 100% sure on this but from what I read, think it has something to do with adding the values of the compatibility rating to the characters equipment rating which if done correctly can make for much better defensive stats?)

Guard Task A = Spell Protection +

Guard Task B = Special Attack Protection +

Assist Task A = Spell Attack +

Assist Task B = Academic Skill +

Float Task = Float Ability (anti-magic tiles do not effect this)

Others that exist have effects such as HP + / - (adds or subtracts HP when the player moves)

Parakeetman

Post-game:

For endgame
Babel C12 East, 3 doors with set encounters, use call portal

Babel C24 section after the opened large door that has 4 set encounters, use call portal

Dorarnae

my god I thought I missed one trophy by jumping off the train right away before meeting the npc in the train..I don't know how many ride it took before I finally meet that npc (funny thing is I checked my game on the pc version and it happened right away first try lol).

Dorarnae

For endgame
Babel C12 East, 3 doors with set encounters, use call portal

Babel C24 section after the opened large door that has 4 set encounters, use call portal

What I did is C24 for loot with call portal, this is the only place for S rank chest
and I farmed C1 with the buff to increase encounter rate for exp (well at least it was good for 28 to 36), easy and quick and it's a good way to get some babel keys.

So, I'm having a hard time deciding between a wizard versus an archer in my back row. Is the wizard REALLY REALLY required for the float spell? Is it just a minor inconvenience or are dungeons completely undoable without that spell?

I dislike using wizards with this sort of spell system, since I tend to end up hording all my spells and never using them, meaning my wizard is basically just sort of there not doing anything 99% of the time.

So, I'm having a hard time deciding between a wizard versus an archer in my back row. Is the wizard REALLY REALLY required for the float spell? Is it just a minor inconvenience or are dungeons completely undoable without that spell?

I dislike using wizards with this sort of spell system, since I tend to end up hording all my spells and never using them, meaning my wizard is basically just sort of there not doing anything 99% of the time.

You can just buy enfoat items. The cost 500 each, but by time you need them you should be able to pick up a few. I went with an archer and have had no problems. Just be sure to always have an extra enfloat on you, just in case.

omlet

A couple things...

One is that at level 7 the wizard gets a skill that is basically a line-hitting AOE that does not consume MP. It's not very strong compared to using spells but it's way better than their basic attacks, making them useful in random battles without expending all their MP.

The other is that the float effect is most definitely REALLY REALLY required in this game. You'll need it often and there's one room near the end of the first semester that requires something like re-casting the float effect 10 times just to traverse the room due to a bunch of dispel zones. As mentioned, you can buy items that will enfloat your party and you can also make a set of accessories that can give that effect on a person-by-person basis, but those options will come with their own expenses.

A couple things...

One is that at level 7 the wizard gets a skill that is basically a line-hitting AOE that does not consume MP. It's not very strong compared to using spells but it's way better than their basic attacks, making them useful in random battles without expending all their MP.

The other is that the float effect is most definitely REALLY REALLY required in this game. You'll need it often and there's one room near the end of the first semester that requires something like re-casting the float effect 10 times just to traverse the room due to a bunch of dispel zones. As mentioned, you can buy items that will enfloat your party and you can also make a set of accessories that can give that effect on a person-by-person basis, but those options will come with their own expenses.

You can just buy enfoat items. The cost 500 each, but by time you need them you should be able to pick up a few. I went with an archer and have had no problems. Just be sure to always have an extra enfloat on you, just in case.

Man, you guys are not making my decision any easier, lol... oh screw it, I'll just make 'em both and swap them around whenever I feel like it, heh.

redcrayon

Ok, so I've finished the main story. Level 27 party, after 44 hours. Really enjoyed it, but I do think the non-spellcasters could have done with a few more options. Even in boss battles they just spam the same skill over and over again, and it's not like they ever get more than two or three choices of wht to do.

For the post-game, I've just finished the first bit of it
and am now on Babyl Sphere C-12.
How much more do I have to go?

Finished the post game, final time clocked in at 46:14. Overall I enjoyed the game even though at the end the game sort of felt a bit incomplete, or rather maybe short? Kinda like this game was the first half of something longer. Maybe its just because of the the unresolved nature of the
Abyss Tower and other various plot elements
at the end of the game and knowing theres a sequel, but at the end of my time with the game I'm stuck wanting more (not necessarily in a good way).

I think one of the bigger problems was that the difficulty curve didn't particularly ramp up until the last two boss fights, but even then those were simple when compared to things like
Quasar
in Demon Gaze. It could just be customary to this style of game but I also felt that too many of the missions and dungeons would just end abruptly or with "slightly harder random encounter" before you moved onto the next area which in some ways made said dungeons feel "hollow".

All the remaining trophies are the grindy ones, so i'll just hammer those out and then begin the Operation Babel waiting game.

kama

It doesn't seem to be generating the same buzz that Demon Gaze did. Hopefully it sold well enough.

I certainly hope it does well enough, I really want them to localize Stranger of Sword City next. My LE of Operation Abyss arrived recently, but I need to finish a few other titles before I'll have the time to play it.

Parakeetman

Thanks for that write up. The ones I cared the most about you hit, friend/love. Couldn't figure out what they did for the life of me.

No problem. Yeah for the most part I did not even bother with the friend / love task as there were better ones to equip anyways. That and did not fully understand the whole system behind the compatibility rating and thankfully its not something so important that it has a huge effect on being able to play the game which is why did not bother to look deeper into it lol.

I certainly hope it does well enough, I really want them to localize Stranger of Sword City next. My LE of Operation Abyss arrived recently, but I need to finish a few other titles before I'll have the time to play it.

Im sure the deal was already done ahead of time. Considering that the talks would be involving just Exp Inc directly, where Op Abyss deals with Mages as the primary gateway for talks.

Doubt they had high expectations for Op Abyss anyways realistically knowing its an "older" title in design.

As long as NISA did up the budget / production correctly for the title, even with low numbers they still can be profitable. Its the same as with what Exp Inc does domestically. While the numbers of the other titles excluding Demon Gaze are nothing special, its still profitable for the company. They also make a lot from digital sales. That is from talking with them in person. Even in Japan Abyss was niche as fuck. The LE sat around on shelves for a while, but then again it did not have the OST to go with it unlike the US one.

Realistically the genre is niche, this title is quite "dated" in design and does not sit well with the average "modern" gamer. So its no real surprise that the title does not seem to be doing gangbuster sales.

Though it still is a good way to bring an IP of a company that NISA is obviously working with to build good relations with to continue the trend of bringing their titles over. At least now there would be a fanbase of the series itself, which helps add reason to bringing Babel over also. Granted that all depends on what Mages wants to do after seeing how things went with the sales in the West as it will be their call.

suikodan

Greetings,

I bought this game on a whim, because I'm a Vita fan and also because of this thread. I have read it before playing the game but now I'm doing quests and questions are popping out so I apologize if some of them were mentionned somewhere.

1- Is there a way to escape a dungeon right away instead of going back to the entrance?

2- Do I level up only at Headquarters? It would seem so...

3- Do MPs regenerate somehow? I read that they regenerate while walking but it doesn't seem to be the case.

4- When I Remove Trap on an object, I get this screen and I don't really know what it means. Any clue as of why I should select something specific?
2015-06-23-101004_zpsmgbsqvgx.jpg

5- During the combat, are the icons at the top of the screen used for anything??? (The ones under the Watermark...)
2015-06-23-101313_zpsim5z587c.jpg

6- In this screen below, what does the 57 means???? The maximum amount of stuff that I can bring back? I think I read in this thread that this number doesn't "regenerate" so if you go down to 0, you can't return anything.
2015-06-23-101905_zpsnem7eeky.jpg

Saphirax

Greetings,

I bought this game on a whim, because I'm a Vita fan and also because of this thread. I have read it before playing the game but now I'm doing quests and questions are popping out so I apologize if some of them were mentionned somewhere.

1- Is there a way to escape a dungeon right away instead of going back to the entrance?

2- Do I level up only at Headquarters? It would seem so...

3- Do MPs regenerate somehow? I read that they regenerate while walking but it doesn't seem to be the case.

4- When I Remove Trap on an object, I get this screen and I don't really know what it means. Any clue as of why I should select something specific?
2015-06-23-101004_zpsmgbsqvgx.jpg

5- During the combat, are the icons at the top of the screen used for anything??? (The ones under the Watermark...)
2015-06-23-101313_zpsim5z587c.jpg

6- In this screen below, what does the 57 means???? The maximum amount of stuff that I can bring back? I think I read in this thread that this number doesn't "regenerate" so if you go down to 0, you can't return anything.
2015-06-23-101905_zpsnem7eeky.jpg

1. Yes, either by buying a specific item or using the Academic's skill (I forgot what it was called)

2. Yep, only when you rest at the HQ.

3. Only when you rest.

4. If you have an Academic it should auto-select him. He's your best chance at disarming the traps. The other traps are from the PoV of the other characters. I don't think my Academic ever messed up, so just keep pressing X and you should be fine.

5. Those are for permanent buffs that you can activate when you're in a dungeon. For example; the Academic has a skill that boosts your elemental defense and another that increases the monster encounter rate. When they're activated you'll see them up there.

6. That's your inventory size. You have 1 hammer out of 57 that you can hold. You can hold up to a 1000 items, so you shouldn't concern yourself with it.

Ephidel

I know they've been answered, but to elaborate on a few of them:
Return Gate spell/Item.
Only Physicians can regenerate MP during exploration, and only once they've reached Level 7.
They can also swap MP with other characters once they reach Lv14.
Otherwise you'll have to return to rest.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168961253&postcount=844

mothball

I killed the Ogre wanted variant last night and I thought he was going to be hard, but I popped him in three turns; the monsters I was encountering with the gauge at level 6 were harder. Is this going to be a common pattern with the rest of the wanted variants?

Saphirax

I killed the Ogre wanted variant last night and I thought he was going to be hard, but I popped him in three turns; the monsters I was encountering with the gauge at level 6 were harder. Is this going to be a common pattern with the rest of the wanted variants?

Nope. Some of them are quite tricky. Although most are on the easy side.

Hubb

Is there any reason not to strip old gear? I've been hoarding a ton of stuff, but I can't see a use for keeping X amount of battle daggers/psycho stuff or the like.

Parakeetman

Is there any reason not to strip old gear? I've been hoarding a ton of stuff, but I can't see a use for keeping X amount of battle daggers/psycho stuff or the like.

Nah you might as well strip it for parts. Since selling back the early items do not make that much creds anyways. Since you get the junk code you can always remake the items too if you really want to with the appropriate materials.

autoduelist

Some questions:

1) I found a list of what all the short hand means, but I don't know what some things mean in a greater sense.
Element Affix - i assume makes the weapon give that type of damage?
Variant Affix (for example, one of these is 'paranormal'... does that mean the weapon is better/worse against that type of monster, red = worse, white = better)?
Equip Affix - don't know, haven't seen any

and Use Affect -- 'throwable'... what does that mean? can it hit back row? i don't think so, since range on the one i'm looking at is still S. is it a one use weapon? why is my longsword throwable?

2) Why does healing hp cost so much? that is, why is it cheaper for me to just level my characters with the 1xlevel MP restore, jump into a dungeon, heal everyone using my priest, then jump back and rest her again? If i just used the HP option, far more expensive.

3) i see an option to 'unglitch' stuff. does that mean if i have a cool item with a red stat (say, spd- or par-) i can fix it?

i had other questions, though they aren't coming to mind now.

not entirely happy with the inventory management (no easy way to compare, and i keep accidentally unequipping stuff as i try to manually compare) but i'm getting used to it at least.

Saphirax

Some questions:

1) I found a list of what all the short hand means, but I don't know what some things mean in a greater sense.
Element Affix - i assume makes the weapon give that type of damage?
Variant Affix (for example, one of these is 'paranormal'... does that mean the weapon is better/worse against that type of monster, red = worse, white = better)?
Equip Affix - don't know, haven't seen any

and Use Affect -- 'throwable'... what does that mean? can it hit back row? i don't think so, since range on the one i'm looking at is still S. is it a one use weapon? why is my longsword throwable?

2) Why does healing hp cost so much? that is, why is it cheaper for me to just level my characters with the 1xlevel MP restore, jump into a dungeon, heal everyone using my priest, then jump back and rest her again? If i just used the HP option, far more expensive.

3) i see an option to 'unglitch' stuff. does that mean if i have a cool item with a red stat (say, spd- or par-) i can fix it?

i had other questions, though they aren't coming to mind now.

not entirely happy with the inventory management (no easy way to compare, and i keep accidentally unequipping stuff as i try to manually compare) but i'm getting used to it at least.

2. Yeah, using items/spells for healing is cheaper than resting and you should keep doing it. Lack of funds was never an issue personally, so I'd just 'rest', and occasionally heal.

3. There are items that you can only equip if you meet the requirements. Those items are purple and if you equip them on a character that doesn't meet those requirements the item will be 'glitched' and you'll be unable to equip it unless you unglitch it.

Ephidel

Use Affect -- 'throwable'... what does that mean? can it hit back row? i don't think so, since range on the one i'm looking at is still S. is it a one use weapon? why is my longsword throwable?
In Battle you can use the Item command to throw weapons at enemies. I don't know why you'd want to do that because you lose the item if you do, but you can.
This is just one of those things you roll with, and it's not exclusive to this game.
For reference though you don't need to enter a dungeon to heal with the phys, you can just use their heal spells while standing in the Med Bay and then rest them again.
This is for if you equip a character with an item they can't actually use.
Berserk Knuckles are red for all alignments. The Troll Task is red for both genders. Some items like the Hulk Tunic are only red for females:
You can equip them anyway, but when you do they turn purple on the item equipment screen.
And then they get stuck. If you try to remove that item or equip different armour you get a message that glitched items cannot be removed.
So that's when you'd need to pay the fee.

autoduelist

thanks both for your answers.

This is just one of those things you roll with, and it's not exclusive to this game.

Yeah, I figured. I just hate goofy mechanics like that... easily fixable if they just reversed HP/MP being cheap to heal... then it would make sense and you couldn't just game the system with a few extra clicks.

So how about those Variant Affixes? If it is red Par, I know that means paranormal... but what does that mean? If it's armor, it's worse against paranormal creatures? If it's a weapon, it's worse against them?

NOTE -- i think i'm glad i went with 'basic'. It's nice seeing them actually equip everything paper doll style.

Ephidel

Logic tells me that if it's red on armour it would make it weak against that thing, but half my armour is red to paranormal and I haven't noticed my party keeling over and dying when they encounter them so I don't really know.

The affixes definitely make a difference with weapons though. Doing a quick test with my lv20 monk using standard attack and vaguely comparable weapons in the main-hand only:

Brass Knuckle +5 (Dmg range 12-14, Max Attacks 2, Red Par)
Lin swings wildly at Phantom with Brass Knuckle +5!
Defiant attack hits 2 times!
Phantom takes 2 damage!
Lin starts swinging at Phantom with Brass Knuckle +5!
Defiant attack hits 2 times!
Phantom takes 2 damage!
Psycho Knuckle +2 (Dmg range 11-15, Max Attacks 3, no affix)
Lin slammed down at Phantom with Psycho Knuckle+2!
Defiant attack hits 3 times!
Phantom takes 115 damage!
Lin leaps at Phantom with Psycho Knuckle+2!
Phantom takes 110 damage!
Psycho Knuckle +2 (Dmg range 11-15, Max Attacks 3, + Par)
Lin thrusts straight at Phantom with their Psycho Knuckle+2!
Phantom takes 185 damage!
Lin clubs Phantom with Psycho Knuckle+2!
Phantom takes 175 damage!

redcrayon

thanks both for your answers.

Yeah, I figured. I just hate goofy mechanics like that... easily fixable if they just reversed HP/MP being cheap to heal... then it would make sense and you couldn't just game the system with a few extra clicks.

So how about those Variant Affixes? If it is red Par, I know that means paranormal... but what does that mean? If it's armor, it's worse against paranormal creatures? If it's a weapon, it's worse against them?

NOTE -- i think i'm glad i went with 'basic'. It's nice seeing them actually equip everything paper doll style.
I equipped every weapon with 'energy' as it's affix as a matter of course. Think of it like in a medieval setting, it's making the weapon magical so it can hit ethereal creatures.

Far more valuable than any other affix.

MrDoctor

They can all be bought from the shop. Hope you weren't wasting them earlier.

Maybe I was just lucky and always had more than enough.

Hubb

Yeah I barely had enough to do it, I was just stupid and never brought enough with me. The amount of times I need to leave to get more B keys and then go back was annoying at best.

autoduelist

Logic tells me that if it's red on armour it would make it weak against that thing, but half my armour is red to paranormal and I haven't noticed my party keeling over and dying when they encounter them so I don't really know.

The affixes definitely make a difference with weapons though. Doing a quick test with my lv20 monk using standard attack and vaguely comparable weapons in the main-hand only:

Brass Knuckle +5 (Dmg range 12-14, Max Attacks 2, Red Par)

Psycho Knuckle +2 (Dmg range 11-15, Max Attacks 3, no affix)

Psycho Knuckle +2 (Dmg range 11-15, Max Attacks 3, + Par)

Nice. So it's -extremely- important for weapons -- or, at least, a red affix can make a weapon near useless.

Armor must mean the same, though if you're not seeing much difference that's odd given the variance for the weapons.

I equipped every weapon with 'energy' as it's affix as a matter of course. Think of it like in a medieval setting, it's making the weapon magical so it can hit ethereal creatures.

Far more valuable than any other affix.

Good to know. I'm still extremely early on -- think I cleared the third mission, so I haven't even fought any bosses yet. But I like to know what all my stats/etc mean.

redcrayon

They can all be bought from the shop. Hope you weren't wasting them earlier.

Maybe I was just lucky and always had more than enough.
Yeah, what's annoying with keys is that they are one-use only and the doors re-lock when you leave. It gets easier when the academic gets the 'Call Portal' ability, but the Babyl Sphere run at the end of the first term can be a bit annoying. I ran out of float spells and items when I needed them, and so had effectively wasted all the keys I used getting to that point. I just restarted from my previous save than progress having lost the keys, as I knew that I could get the lost map progress back in a short amount of time, rather than waiting for drops. Really you want to be in the mindset not to open a locked door if your party is getting exhausted, only do it if you are prepared to push on to the point where you can find a shortcut back home.

Hubb

Just got through the Train segment, it was extremely boring. Hopefully there are no more sections like that in the game.

Just put in about 15 or 16 hrs...the game finally clicked for me. At first I found some of the systems too obtuse, especially compared to Demon Gaze...but now I'm really enjoying it. Yea, it is a bit obtuse...but the setting, the art direction, the music...very slick.

But WTF is up with some of these characters...that Cohen dude and the comedian guy.
Experience pls.

On a sub mission to fix stuff in Babyl Sphere, I suspect I will clear Semester 1 soon seeing that I've hit the level cap. The design of Babyl is absolutely mean, bordering on sadistic. If I hadn't created a Mage I can't even imagine how much money will be blown just on enfloats alone, yeesh.

Since I've hit the level 15 cap, I've been bringing other members (I have one of each available class) to level them up to my main party, but so far I don't see myself dropping my fighter for the assassin or monk, or dropping my mage for an archer. Those classes are kind of underwhelming. Monk so far does less damage and has crappier armor than my fighter. Assassin isn't nearly as fun (or as game breaking) as the Demon Gaze version... no Cross Fix, and her hide->stabby-time ability doesn't do crazy damage either. Archer doesn't have any of the (fun) Demon Gaze abilities either, mostly seems boring to use.

Guess Demon Gaze has spoiled me a bit :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169221903&postcount=882

I'm still using her, hoping now that I can go past level 15 things for more skills will get better...

Lol, that sounds about right by my experience as well. Even when she does actually hit, her damage is around the same as my samurai's single normal hit.

Meanwhile, I turn on Magic Shield II every other round thanks to Academician's Brain Spire, and my Samurai does does Shura Front Style and shreds EVERYTHING. Love it.

Parakeetman

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169221903&postcount=882

I'm still using her, hoping now that I can go past level 15 things for more skills will get better...

Later gear and other stuff should help. Its always hard to judge how useful classes are early on since they are not at their full potential yet.

Its similar to how people seem to not find the monk useful, but JP players have found that end game wise it can out damage the Warrior if set up correctly.

But yeah that log of yours was pretty terrible lol and dont blame you for losing faith in the class after going through that. D:

Later gear and other stuff should help. Its always hard to judge how useful classes are early on since they are not at their full potential yet.

Its similar to how people seem to not find the monk useful, but JP players have found that end game wise it can out damage the Warrior if set up correctly.

But yeah that log of yours was pretty terrible lol and dont blame you for losing faith in the class after going through that. D:

Huh...is the monk not so great for early to mid game? I just enlisted one in my level 11 party and I'm trying to get her up to speed.

Parakeetman

Huh...is the monk not so great for early to mid game? I just enlisted one in my level 11 party and I'm trying to get her up to speed.

Depends on your gear and stats but as with a lot if the characters end game is where you should have all of the skills / perks unlocked by being high enough lv to use the class to its full potential.

Top Bottom