• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

I get the concern but I was fine with the positioning of ABXY on the WiiU Pro controller so I hope this will work too.

That is exactly why I am concerned. Because I wasn't. Like the only reason I could use the pro controller on Mario WiiU was because the top 2 buttons worked the same as the bottom two, and even then I prefered to just use the screen gamepad because of the button placement.

Hope these controllers show up at conventions and what not so I can try them out.

Persona7

Banned
I like the Super Pad 64 but the Z button is so flimsy. I wonder if it is possible to rig it to prevent the little clip thing from breaking.

Painguy

Hey I'm currently trying to play Super Mario 64 Maker, but the emulator hella lags with my current level. If I unlimit the FPS it runs super fast. Is PJ64 emulating actual slowdown? Is there anything I can do about this?

Peltz

Just tried playing OOT on N64 for the first time since OOT 3D came out. This framerate really kills the vibe :-/

I have no issues playing low-res games with tons of aliasing. But it's pretty remarkable how little I can stomach low frame rates these days. By "low" I mean a target framerate that is less than 30fps.

Just tried playing OOT on N64 for the first time since OOT 3D came out. This framerate really kills the vibe :-/

I have no issues playing low-res games with tons of aliasing. But it's pretty remarkable how little I can stomach low frame rates these days. By "low" I mean a target framerate that is less than 30fps.

yeah, that 20fps is not a good look

poor framerates date a game worse than low quality assets for sure

-KRS-

And the PAL version is 17fps... :|

Since getting a flashcart and being able to play the NTSC version, I just can't play my PAL cartridge anymore. Those 3 extra frames makes a big difference in the smoothness of the game.

How much did you play? I've done 5 run throughs of the 3D version but did my one for last year with the JP N64 version. You get used to the low framerate pretty quick, like within 30 mins I stopped noticing it.

Peltz

How much did you play? I've done 5 run throughs of the 3D version but did my one for last year with the JP N64 version. You get used to the low framerate pretty quick, like within 30 mins I stopped noticing it.

Less than 30 minutes. I suspect I'd get used to it too. After all, I did really enjoy this game back in the day.

Yeah 20fps isn't as bad as people make it out to be, as long as it's (mostly) consistent and the game was designed around it. Manual camera control makes it more obvious and anything requiring precision response is a problem but I didn't mind it for years in OoT or even more recently in PSP Peace Walker or Hyrule Warriors on original 3DS.

I honestly find 30 with frequent dips to be a lot more annoying than 20.

Started playing Kirby 64. Seems decent enough, like... yeah it's certainly a Kirby game, some neat visuals, but it feels very slow. Does it get better as it goes along?

Also it's very much a 2D game with a weird camera angle. Which is fine. But I sort of expected something more like Klonoa.

So I just bought a Nintendo 64 with Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Wave Race and Diddy Kong Racing :D

But the controler that was packed in has a very unrelyable analog stick. I just ordered a replacement stick from the USA but it has 30 days shipping time. What alternative reproduction controlelrs are ok to get in the meantime?

Seik

Banned
I didn't post since everything happened, but let's go, this is it.

This isn't a battle between forums, this isn't about killing GAF or anything like that.

If you think this is the point, then the point flies right over your head.

People are leaving by principles. People are leaving because they do not want to be represented here. People are leaving because they don't want to support a platform for which the owner does not reflect the image and values they want to share.

If you think this is just a forum for which the owner has nothing to gain, you're wrong. Being here and providing content creates traffic, traffic sees ad. Owner gains profit with ad revenue. If you don't want to support the owner of this platform, the best way to NOT help is by either quitting or not posting or visiting here in the future.

People leaving aren't doing it for fun, it's a form of protest, to make a statement that they do not accept or support the behavior of the owner.

That is most likely my final post here. I fucking loved NeoGAF for the 7 years I was here. I loved the communities, but now is the time to leave.

I deleted all my work here, saved everything and will transfer at the new place.

For those of you who stay, I wish you a nice continuation.

For those who migrate, see you on the other side. ;)

BillWalton

Neo Member
Just finished up 100%ing Robot: Rocket on Wheels. Solid, but pretty clearly, a third-tier N64 platformer at best. The puzzle design is excellent and there's some really good ideas in there, but everything else is just bland. Zero charm. 7/10.

My collection is in the mid-50s right now, but I think I'm going to take a break for a bit. I've pretty much run out of games that I'm interested in playing (not including pricey stuff like Second Attack which I'd love to play). I've been keeping an eye on Bangai-O but that seems impossible to get a deal on as well. The only game that is really tempting me right now is Harvest Moon. I know I'll love it, but I can't see myself finding the time to do the deep dive the game deserves.

Top Bottom