• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

WanderingWind said:
So Warhammer has premade armies? Does anybody beside Dust Tactics make a big box with two complete armies so we can just pick up and play?

Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k both have box sets with two starter armies in it and also the rules to play with.

Warhammer Fantasy - The Island of Blood
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440006a&prodId=prod850019a

Warhammer 40K - Assault on Black Reach
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440162a&prodId=prod1570027

For regular standard play you would need more figs, but these box sets are designed around playing with these starter armies to get a person into the game with all the extras also.

You also have Warmachine coming out with a 2 player starter set this week or next supposedly: http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/two-player-battle-box/warmachine-two-player-battle-box

Theres also the LOTR 2 player starter set which is considered a skirmish game as you don't need tons of figs to play.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat450005a&prodId=prod1140216

For skirmish level games (skirmish games tend to use 15 or less models a side), there really are not tons of options for 2 player sets. You can invest into such games generally by buying a rulebook and 2 starter sets of your choice, and learn and expand from there. Lot of options for skirmish gaming out there, would need to know what you are looking for in theme to maybe narrow things down.

JoeBoy101

SillyEskimo said:
DSC03444.jpg

Gotta second one these. Not because of the magnifying (never really had an issue with that, but the flourescent light with it is fantastic. Casts little shadows and is nice and cool. This way, you get clear views of your mini and the colors of what you're putting on it. I highly recommend these swivel lamps.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
BattleMonkey said:
Lot of options for skirmish gaming out there, would need to know what you are looking for in theme to maybe narrow things down.

Well, I'm going to look into Island of Blood, thanks. As to a theme...um, fantasy or comic books, I guess. What's the comic book version of Warhammer?

My only exposure to this whole universe is basically the Warhammer 40K RTS games. That may be a little grim and metal for one of the members, so that'll come later. Regular Warhammer seems a bit...softer? I dunno.

Vague enough? Heh.

WanderingWind said:
Well, I'm going to look into Island of Blood, thanks. As to a theme...um, fantasy or comic books, I guess. What's the comic book version of Warhammer?

My only exposure to this whole universe is basically the Warhammer 40K RTS games. That may be a little grim and metal for one of the members, so that'll come later. Regular Warhammer seems a bit...softer? I dunno.

Vague enough? Heh.

Warhammer Fantasy while it shares similarities with 40k, is more in line with common fantasy settings. It's considered more dark and grim, with lot of gothic elements, but it follows many common fantasy genre tropes.

For comic books the most popular thing is Heroclix: http://heroclix.com/

Heroclix are prepainted figures, with simple rules. Game is popular with comic fans because it's easy to play and covers huge amount of comic book stuff. If you are interested in the hobby aspect of these games then this might not be for you as it's all basically out of the box and ready to play. Paint jobs on such figures are usually cheap chinese toy deals, but if thats not an issue and you just want to try a game, the clix games are usually an easy in.

Clix also has expanded to include other properties as compatible now... you got Street Fighter, Halo, Gears of War, etc along with the old Marvel and DC clix figures.

There is also a game called Pulp City which is a regular skirmish model game, you create a super team and you battle other players super teams.

You also have Supersystem, which is just a rule system. You basically use any figures you can find and you completely create your own superhero/villains and battle it out. The rules give you full customization rules. We played this once and had fun as we used a bunch of small DC character toys, so we recreated all the famous characters like Batman, Green Lantern, etc using the books rules and then just battled. Creating your own creations and just having fun with whatever figs you can find. http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=36645

When I got back into painting, I chose Descent as my project for a number of reasons. The fact that each model is an individual character was very important to me. Second, I really wanted to work on my basing. To that end, I am mounting each character on a games workshop, round base. That tiny bit of space is enough room to really get creative, and they still fit perfectly on the game tiles. To that end, I plan on each Hero to have a custom, scenic base that will help make them unique from one another and compliment the particular character model. I already have a small display case just for the heroes, which I may deck out in a dungeon motif if the mood strikes me. I'll have to wait and see how the bases will turn out first and see how much room I'll have left in the case.

Just as important as trying to paint a figure to match a character card is the opportunity to try all sorts of new techniques. Each Descent mini so far has been a little experiment. From trying untested paints and supplies, to really pushing myself on each scenic base I do. Mixed in throughout my more exotic bases, I intend on doing semi-simple ones as well just to make everything balance out.

Here are some pics of my first trials and experiments with Descent minis. You can see different colored primers being used on the models as one of several experiments I was doing. The character cards are shown to see what my point of reference was.

Tahila - Primes white. The after shot here was shortly after dipping in Medium Quickshade and before I highlighted everything after it was dried.

939.jpg

942.jpg

Shiver - Sculpted base and primed black. As the card was the only reference point for this model, I thought it turned out great. I really like the base too. For my second Descent mini, it was a real confidence booster.

940.jpg

941.jpg

Grey Ker - Primed grey and dipped in MinWax. The miniwax almost ruined the mini IMO and it is pretty amazing he turned out like he did all things considered. Too bad, because a tiny can of quickshade costs 40$, while a huge fucking can of miniwax is 6$. That thief mini was nothing but "happy accidents" (as Bob Ross called them), from beginning to end.

938.jpg

002.jpg

Runemaster Thorn - No shit, I had a dream about making this base. Here is a mini process review and the end result. This is my attempt at sourced lighting before I had the proper paints/tools. I like it as a lesson learner and it looks good enough that I won't redo it. I'll always use him as a point of reference for how much better I've gotten at the technique.

b063aa9d.jpg

326f2adb.jpg

38c56e0f.jpg

91cd8dd0.jpg

7bbe4e7e.jpg

Forget his name - I read a lava tutorial and wanted to try it out. The base is a GW round base flipped over and filled with a liquid fake snow (of all things). I really like the results and learned a lot.

c6c26c06.jpg

Forget his name too - I wanted to create a little story. If you look at all of the above, you should be able to guess what they do based on looking at them. There's a thief, wizard, ect. With this guy as a tank, I wanted him to look bad ass...like he just takes a lickin' and keeps on tickn'. I tried to make it look like he's surrounded, doesn't care, and is looking to take as many down with him as he can. I got to do the blood technique on this guy. Love it.

65e2f22f.jpg

All the pics were taken with my iPhone, so not the best quality, but you get the point. Also note that none of these minis have a matte spray yet to knock the shine down. Going forward, I'm getting braver in my interpretations and pushing myself to make each mini better than the last.

The greatest thing about doing Descent for me is having freedom to be as creative as I want. With 40k, I'm always semi constrained by lore and keeping a cohesive theme for an army. So far this has been such a fun and fantastic way to reintroduce myself into the hobby I've loved for so long.

Yay another review/preview! Just picked up a bunch of new product for this, so figured it would be good to give it a go and it got mentioned as a good starter game into the hobby. DUST TACTICS

6211113801_fb2a65285c.jpg

4742495190_ba4dbda923_b.jpg

What is it?
- Dust Tactics is a 28mm wargame that attempts to bridge the gap between boardgames and miniature games. Some people claim its one or the other, but really it works either way as a hybrid system. The hobby aspect is still possible here and many of it's fans enjoy painting up and tweaking figs to their liking. Big selling point of the game being, it's a complete system in a box, ready to go with no work to put into it. The concept of Dust universe is that WWII took a turn when the Nazi's found a crashed alien craft frozen in the ice of the Artic, and aquired tons of new technology and a revolutionary new power source. The Axis began developing new weapon tech including bipedal walking tanks. The Allies of course followed suit be reverse engineering much of the tech and developing many of their own advances. Dust universe has been around for several years now created by famous ex-Rachkham artist/designer, Paolo Parente. Hes been making model kits, toys, and some comic book mini series set in his creation for a while now and finally got around to finally realizing it as a game.

The rules
- Dust Tactics is an interesting take on miniature games that as mentioned is trying to bridge the gap between the hobby and board gaming in an attempt to gain larger appeal. In order to reach the board game audience, they took an approach on making a simpler style of game. So what you have is many traditional miniature war game concepts, but greatly streamlined for quick play that would be easy to learn. And easy to play/learn it is.... one can teach another how to play in about 5 minutes without problem. Now is the simplicity a negative thing? Well to some perhaps, yet I feel the game keeps alot of tactical elements in the gameplay especially when you mix in combined arms and players expand their options.

Dust Tactics unlike lot of miniature games is played on square grid boards/maps. The tiles basically make movement, measuring, and line of sight rules all extremely simple and fast to deal with. Weapons and movement on units basically are given out in numbers of squares. Placement of your actual models is also not really vital in relation to any type of terrain elements as you are just basically using model to mark locations. For example to get a cover bonus, a unit of infantry merely has to be within the square with a terrain object like crates. Dice rolling is also simplified in that all unit cards contain pretty much all the info needed to determine dice to be rolled and results required. These unit cards are pretty big too as pictured in the box contents above. Every model has an armor class and type, which you then compare to the weapon you are using and it tells you how much dice you get to roll. The game also comes with special dice that has 2 target symbols on it that count as hits. A shotgun for example can shoot one square away and gets to roll 4 dice against most infantry units, and each hit result on the die that comes up counts as a killed enemy model. Units all have point costs and you build up your army in typical fashion of spending a set amount of points. The game also has a simple system where each unit when activated has 2 actions, so they can move and shoot, shoot and move, move twice, or shoot twice. Once you are done with a unit, your opponent goes and activates one of his or her units, and play proceeds in this manner.

Game streamlines stuff like close combat into ranged combat also as if it was the same thing just with an extra step of having a return attack from the opponent. The starter box set keeps things simple with the included rules, and they have been adding new rules and units to the game that greatly expand the game such as command squads, artillery abilities, snipers, scouting, etc, etc. Even as they add new rules, it's all very easy to use variants of the game basics. Hero characters are also important to the game and unlike many other games where hero rules usually take several pages, here it's once again streamlined as a unit add on that adds extra hit points to the unit it is attached to, and grants said unit a special ability it normally doesn't have. They also not to long ago also added in rules for overwatch to the game which added a whole new tactical element.

6211625562_0208d4a6c2_z.jpg

Further Notes:
- Dust comes from the folks who designed AT-43. Lot of the design concepts are similar and the actual history of AT-43 was that it was supposed to be a Dust miniature game but Rackham decided to go with an original sci fi setting instead of using Paolo's own universe. Years later, Rackham has sank and AT-43 is no more, but Paolo has rescued many original Rackham staff to create Dust Studios which created this game along with several other board games that have been published by AEG and FFG. Story line is a important part of their design, so scenarios are a popular thing with the Dust crew. The two starters for the game include a campaign book with a series of missions you play through that also tell a story.

Dust Tactics is interesting straight out of the box experience that even the hardcore can enjoy as all the figures come base coated for easy painting. No assembly is required on most figures also as only some of the mecha figs have alternate parts that can be swapped around, yet it's all snap together components. For a game like this, the quality is pretty outstanding though obviously because of the simple nature of many of the infantry figs, they have somewhat static poses. Is Dust Tactics worth it? Well for the price, the basic sets are a bargain as you get tons of stuff and two complete forces to play with. The system is simple an intuitive, and really keeps lot of tactical decision making a central part of the game. Expansions include campaigns which add a series of scenarios with attached storylines and new rules. Units are sold in individual unit boxes also like other miniature games, and they are well priced. Individual mechs which are about size of a GW dreadnaught are only $25 retail and include parts to swap out to create variants. A new cheaper starter set was released also recently that has less components, but follows same design philosophy and a whole new set of campaign scenarios. Faction variety is a weakness of the game being that it really is only two factions. Fans expect more as during the initial release it was announced that the Aliens known as the Vrill were planned to be added to the game, and from the fluff in other Dust products, people expect the Russians to be made their own faction as well.

Players though were happy to hear recently about the planned upcoming book 'Dust Warfare', which is a rulebook for use with Dust Tactics models to play a more traditional style of miniature game. The rules have also been written by industry favorite Andy Chambers! This new rulebook basically creates two complete games out of the components you get with Dust Tactics.

6211614340_7f654f8b69.jpg

Pros:
+ Complete game in a box, that can be expanded on as you see fit.
+ Extremely simple game system that isn't too dumbed down.
+ Extra models and indivdual components are well priced
+ Lots of scenarios with fluff filled campaigns available.
+ Dust Warfare option coming soon

Cons:
- The game by some wargamers is seen as too simple.
- Only two factions currently (Axis Vs. Allies)
- Lack of assembly, creates some simplistic looking infantry

If you got any questions on Dust Tactics or about my review, let me know! Also check out the official site at http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=123&enmi=Dust Tactics

Leunam

Great review. I really like the designs for the bi-pedal mechs which is what interested me in this game but as it is I don't have time for too many miniature games. I may grab these in the future.

Leunam said:
Great review. I really like the designs for the bi-pedal mechs which is what interested me in this game but as it is I don't have time for too many miniature games. I may grab these in the future.

I took it in as a board game since no work is needed in it and you get the complete 2 factions to work with. It's easy to just pull out and play real quick. Once you have the game down, you can run through multiple games easily in a couple hours. I got both starter sets broken down and into one box also. Haven't bought ton of the extra new model expansions but they do add lot of flavor to the game, like Nazi zombies, larger heavy walkers, allied battle suits with jetpacks, etc. Also interested and see what comes out once they add in flying vehicles into the game which are also planned.

Sqorgar

Banned
Great Dust Tactics review. I just wanted to add a few comments.

- Figures come pre-assembled and primed in either army green (allies) or bluish gray (axis). You can play right out of the box. I've still got unassembled Warmachine models that I've never played with from six years ago (before I had kids and had to put my hobby table away).

- The models in the original base set are really difficult to tell apart.

- You can only get heroes from the campaign expansions, which are WAY overpriced compared to everything else.

- The game is quick. Like, 15-30 minutes for a game quick. Major selling point for me, since I can play a game while the kids watch an episode of whatever.

Sqorgar said:
- The models in the original base set are really difficult to tell apart.

Yea this goes in with what I was saying about the models being very simple with poses, you get lot of redundant poses and parts on the infantry that it makes them difficult to tell apart. Similar thing with the new wave of Allied battle suits who simply at a distance look identical.

I like the campaign expansions myself, though I can see them being a bit pricey when compared to the amazing values of the starter sets.

Sqorgar

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Yea this goes in with what I was saying about the models being very simple with poses, you get lot of redundant poses and parts on the infantry that it makes them difficult to tell apart.
It's not the poses. It's just that the figures in the original base set just all look the same. The only way to tell them apart is that one group has pocket vests and the other has goggles on their helmets.

I like the campaign expansions myself, though I can see them being a bit pricey when compared to the amazing values of the starter sets.
It just feels like they are putting a bunch of things together, so to get stuff I want, I also have to pay for stuff I don't. I mean, I really don't need any more tank traps. I'd rather they release all that stuff separately, so I don't have to buy a $30 set just to get the heroes.

On the whole, Dust Tactics does give me everything I liked about playing Warmachine or 40K but without the same investment of time or money. I felt the same way about BattleLore. You get the customization, the expandability, and physicality of miniatures wrapped in a tactically satisfying game - but at half the price or time investment.

I just hope Fantasy Flight Games supports Dust Tactics better than they have Tannhauser or BattleLore. So far, they have, but they may pull a Descent and just drop it like a bad habit after two years.

El'Kharn

After playing Space marine recently i've started pulling out all my old 40k miniatures and rereading my old white dwarf collection. I've been collecting 40k since rouge trader and i still have the old rb-t01 marines and some squat bikers right up to models from around a year or so ago, marines mostly.
I'm inspired to paint them all again for the first time in years and its reminded me of how satisfying this hoby is when you look upon a finished model after fussing over it for days to get things just right.

Sqorgar said:
I just hope Fantasy Flight Games supports Dust Tactics better than they have Tannhauser or BattleLore. So far, they have, but they may pull a Descent and just drop it like a bad habit after two years.

Well Descent is their most supported board game next to Arkham Horror, surprised it's got as many expansions as it did. Interested to see what they do with 2nd edition Descent now.

And Tannhauser part of the problem was that they didn't have full control over the game which they do now as they were just publishing the english version. Now they are pumping out lots of new stuff for the game.

Had my first game of Dreadfleet today. As I thought from reading the rules it's a very fast and exciting game. Simple rule set with the focus firmly placed on manoeuvring, facing and on the spot decision making. Very easy to pick up too, I played with my girlfriend who is by no means a gamer and she loved it. In fact she begged me to leave it set up so we could play again later! This may be due to the fact she won, due to some very poor moves on my part. The fate cards are fun and dynamic, but also negatable with a timely repair order if they don't go your way. They have a variety of bonuses and effects and seem to be as balanced as these things can be (for example one card might grant a bonus to the evil ships, but a later one will only affect the good).Of course being a GW game there is a lot of dice rolling, but the good kind. Lots of ooooooooo and tension in every throw. Loved the fact the wind marker was constantly moving too, really made you take in to account your facing and handling every turn. The ships themselves are full of character both model and rule wise. The special abilities will influence your play style but if you let them dominate it you'll become predictable and easily beaten. And all this was just the first scenario with only two ships and no special rules. A great game so far and I can't wait to play more. Preferably with a bottle of rum and my stereo blasting out the soundtrack to Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Captain_Spanky said:
Had my first game of Dreadfleet today. As I thought from reading the rules it's a very fast and exciting game. Simple rule set with the focus firmly placed on manoeuvring, facing and on the spot decision making. Very easy to pick up too, I played with my girlfriend who is by no means a gamer and she loved it. In fact she begged me to leave it set up so we could play again later! This may be due to the fact she won, due to some very poor moves on my part. The fate cards are fun and dynamic, but also negatable with a timely repair order if they don't go your way. They have a variety of bonuses and effects and seem to be as balanced as these things can be (for example one card might grant a bonus to the evil ships, but a later one will only affect the good).Of course being a GW game there is a lot of dice rolling, but the good kind. Lots of ooooooooo and tension in every throw. Loved the fact the wind marker was constantly moving too, really made you take in to account your facing and handling every turn. The ships themselves are full of character both model and rule wise. The special abilities will influence your play style but if you let them dominate it you'll become predictable and easily beaten. And all this was just the first scenario with only two ships and no special rules. A great game so far and I can't wait to play more. Preferably with a bottle of rum and my stereo blasting out the soundtrack to Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Urg, I'm trying to resist picking it up still. It looks fantastic and it benig a one shot deal in a way is not a bad thing I guess. I just hate picking up something wiht a bunch of models I have to put together when I got so many stacks of boxes for things to work on.

Davedough said:
I came across this blog, http://www.studiogiraldez.blogspot.com/.

He's the staff painter for the Infinity miniatures. Some of his work is quite inspiring. I've been quite obsessed lately with Infinity since ordering one of the starter sets. I cant wait to get painting.

Pick up the two rulebooks too if you are interested in the fluff, as they are filled with it. The online rules are just the actual rules taken out of the book minus the story bits. Lot of info can be found on their site though and lot of gorgeous pictures they have taken.

And for a challenge, you can attempt to do the special hacking effects they show in pictures. People replicate them by using clear transparencies print outs and attaching them to the figs to have that holographic UI look.

Davedough

Got a surprise in the mail today.

E3leL.jpg

Looks like its off to Michael's I go. I think I'm gonna try and buy some Vallejo paints as well along the way. I'm excited to get painting.

Heh, was my first exact purchase into Infinity as well. Fairly simple models in the starter especially the one piece grunts. I was glad I didn't go with Pan O for my starter, my friend did and had lot of tiny parts to glue on that looked like a nightmare.

WanderingWind

So, I walked into a games workshop store and man are those guys good. I wanted to buy one of those box sets by the end of the tour. Still undecided on which one.

I'm guessing the Warhammer universe has more attractive armies than a rat army....the LOTR one was cool, but seemed a bit underwhelming because of the strict movie license...the 40k seems like the best bet.

Takuan

Love miniatures and am always amazed by the submissions I've seen on Coolminiornot.com. If I had the time and patience, I would get into this hardcore.

shas'la

Deathmarks look a bit Tau-ish.. kinda conflicted about all of the banners and robes between legs, i dont think they'll work in silver, and coloured ones seem to reduce the effect of the minature.

EDIT: Wheras the Pretorians look amazing.

Rules time:

Lychguard: S5 T5 A2 3+ save. Warscythes (2h +2 str power weapon) or A +4 inv. shield and power weapon. Shield can bounce saved shots back at any enemy if they are within 6". 40pts each.

Praetorians: S5 T5 jump infantry. 3+ save. Have a 6" shot S5 AP2 Assault 1 power weapon staff or 2 rending swords and a 3+ inv. 40 pts each.

For the Deathmarks: new Elites choice is a sniper style unit that can Deep Strike into play normally or it can choose to immediately Deep Strike immediately after the opponent brings an enemy unit on from Reserves, and they have some nasty additional damage ability against one nominated unit.

Things that we haven't seen that we know are coming:
The new destroyer kit
The new Tomb Spyder
The Wraiths (plastic or Finecast?)
Warriors w/added bitz
Solo plastic scarabs (which are supposed to be much more dynamic)

Rumored items we haven't seen yet include:
Jet bikes
The monstrous creatures
and one other type of vehicle
C'Tan slaves or whatever
maybe 1 or 2 more elites choices (depending on how things count in the FOC)

methane47

I used to play 40K like 10 years ago... I happened to be in NL went to gamesworkshop, picked up a box of chaos space marines and the codex... That ALONE cost me 120 EUROS

HOLY CRAP that is alot... Jesus when did this game get that expensive?

WanderingWind said:
So, I walked into a games workshop store and man are those guys good. I wanted to buy one of those box sets by the end of the tour. Still undecided on which one.

I'm guessing the Warhammer universe has more attractive armies than a rat army....the LOTR one was cool, but seemed a bit underwhelming because of the strict movie license...the 40k seems like the best bet.

Warhammer has lot more flavor and fun universe IMO, but is also a much bigger game investment. Though easier to find players of warhammer than lotr.

Yea gw likes to open their own stores as they are trained to basically get you into the games over a regular game store that will generally ignore you until you come up to pay.

Salazar

Should really post in here as well as the Space Marine gaming thread.

Badass Primarchs poster from Games Day.

B9Oj5.jpg

Horus and Fulgrim.

nCbJM.jpg

Jagatai Khan, Lorgar, and Rogal Dorn.

Oifd7.jpg

Sanguinius, Mortarion, Magnus the Red, and Angron.

IIz2K.jpg

Salazar

GarthVaderUK said:
Fantastic! Were they selling those posters at Games Day?

Afraid I wouldn't know. I get the impression there was just this one up in the room where they had the major panel.

If it does come on sale, I am there.

WanderingWind

BattleMonkey said:
Warhammer has lot more flavor and fun universe IMO, but is also a much bigger game investment. Though easier to find players of warhammer than lotr.

Yea gw likes to open their own stores as they are trained to basically get you into the games over a regular game store that will generally ignore you until you come up to pay.

I ended up getting the LOTR Mines of Moria starter kit, the basic paint set and the 40K rule book. The wife is excited about painting the minis. We're going to try to remember the rules from the store and give it a run through in a bit.

hoverX

WanderingWind said:
I ended up getting the LOTR Mines of Moria starter kit, the basic paint set and the 40K rule book. The wife is excited about painting the minis. We're going to try to remember the rules from the store and give it a run through in a bit.

I bought the LOTR rulebook a few years back hoping to get back into a miniatures game but it seems like that game is basically dead in my area. It doesn't get much support by the stores either. Hopefully things are better in your neck of the woods.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
New Flayed Ones models are the worst GW have produced in years. Old models are far superior. I don't like the idea of Necrons using dedicated transports either. They are meant to be teleporters.

Everything else looks great, I am glad they are moving away from the robot look and more towards the undead in space look.

The Codex is out next month. looks like I will be adding to my Necron army, not played them in a while.

WanderingWind

Played a few games, it seems pretty fun. Man, just did a quick google search though. This is ludicrously overpriced! A plastic model that stands 5 in tall costing 40 bucks???

I think I'll be playing with analogues...heh.

WanderingWind said:
Played a few games, it seems pretty fun. Man, just did a quick google search though. This is ludicrously overpriced! A plastic model that stands 5 in tall costing 40 bucks???

I think I'll be playing with analogues...heh.

Part of the hobby really, though it is kinda pricey it's a one time investment, and of course you don't need said models either as you can use many of the cheaper options available in the game. It is often best to go cheap to start with and only invest in the expensive stuff if your going to get into the game hardcore.

Sneaky Gato said:
Hopefully when the Hobbit comes next year the community will grow.

Be interesting to see what happens. People had lot of hope when they came out with the mass battle system for their figs but that was short lived. Even when the movies were coming out, the LOTR was not a huge hit and many were blaming it on the financial issues that GW was having at the time and also for the lack of support their other games were getting.

WanderingWind

From our Games Workshop the issue with LOTR seemed to be that people associated it with the movie and the close ties to the movie license seemed to make people associate it with a quick movie related cash grab.

WanderingWind said:
From our Games Workshop the issue with LOTR seemed to be that people associated it with the movie and the close ties to the movie license seemed to make people associate it with a quick movie related cash grab.

Well all games receive a lot of resistance in the market. Many gamers basically have it in their head that Warhammer and 40K are the only games out there and many are hesitant to try anything else. Warmachine/Hordes is one of the few game systems that has really been able to compete with the 2 big ones GW published. Even many of GW's other games never were able to succeed to the level that their Warhammer games have and eventually dropped. GW seems to have faith in the property though as they apparently renewed the license and also picked up the Hobbit one as well (though I think they always had the Hobbit, at least the original books since they produced a game set in that book already a while back, so the new license is probably with coverage of the movie).

Anyone pick up the new 2 player starter for Warmachine? I got a hordes force and like Hordes mechanics better, but online the Warmachine box is quite a deal and I want that small rulebook... I love compact little rulebooks over giant tomes of rules. Wanna know about build quality, was not crazy about the plastic in their original plastic releases, haven't checked to see if they improved their quality.

Maybe see about splitting the cost with a friend.

Top Bottom