• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

BattleMonkey said:
Anyone pick up the new 2 player starter for Warmachine?

Nope, but I've ordered some Necrons!

zjtsms.jpg

BattleMonkey said:
Anyone pick up the new 2 player starter for Warmachine? I got a hordes force and like Hordes mechanics better, but online the Warmachine box is quite a deal and I want that small rulebook... I love compact little rulebooks over giant tomes of rules. Wanna know about build quality, was not crazy about the plastic in their original plastic releases, haven't checked to see if they improved their quality.

Maybe see about splitting the cost with a friend.

It's a good deal if you have yet to get into Warmachine and do not mind playing either one of those factions. The ammount of crap shoved in the box is about $200 if you decided to just purchase it all individually.

hoverX

Flying Toaster said:
It's a good deal if you have yet to get into Warmachine and do not mind playing either one of those factions. The ammount of crap shoved in the box is about $200 if you decided to just purchase it all individually.

That's a sweet deal and really tempting. I wanted to play Scyrah but Khador and Menoth would be fine too.

hoverX said:
That's a sweet deal and really tempting. I wanted to play Scyrah but Khador and Menoth would be fine too.

Yea I'm not a fan of Menoth myself but it's a nice deal and wouldn't mind making a Warmachine force with the Khador units. And getting the mini rulebook is nice. Wonder what I could get for the Menoth stuff on ebay by itself....

hoverX

BattleMonkey said:
Yea I'm not a fan of Menoth myself but it's a nice deal and wouldn't mind making a Warmachine force with the Khador units. And getting the mini rulebook is nice. Wonder what I could get for the Menoth stuff on ebay by itself....

Do you not like them because of he way they play or their back story? I've never play Warmachine (but i have the rulebook) so i'm liking them based solely on their looks.

hoverX said:
Do you not like them because of he way they play or their back story? I've never play Warmachine (but i have the rulebook) so i'm liking them based solely on their looks.

Design wise I just dont like the way they look in general, one of my lease favorite factions and their jack designs are just ugly and boring to me. There play style is just kinda odd for me and the fluff that goes with it just never was my cup of tea with the religious fanatics stuff.

Ended up caving on Dreadfleet. Amazing models and incredible detail etched into the ships.

Also I think it's a great value if you are playing any Fantasy or Naval games because of the game mat. I didn't know it was cloth but was surprised when I opened the dreadfleet box. It's very large and gorgeous cloth like sea map that would be perfect for many other games. It's a good deal in that regard as the cheapest sea map boards and such are going to run you at minimum around $40, with some places charging about $120 for a cloth map of this size. Also all the sea terrain works perfect for something like Uncharted Seas so I figured it was a good investment if you use the parts for multiple games.

I plan on using the sea mat for Uncharted Seas and Dystopian Wars. Got it for a good price on ebay so it ended up being very well worth it. Not sure when I will get to actually play though.

I find menoth the only interesting faction they have story wise, religious nutzo's sardined into the arse end of the world.

I like some of their weapons as well, big tube mortars filled with nails and napalm.

New Necrons look great, lot of personality. They were always one of the most boring and blandest of races to me in the game, they really are spicing them up visually.

Would it be okay if I posted up some playtest rules and the new flulf? There are also some scans out there for the new white dwarf which contains some other new fluff such as trollcrons.

Opinion: While the Flayers aren't as bad as they looked before the old ones are still vastly superior.

New Review/Preview of a classic in honor of the announcement of the upcoming new PC game:

Battletech

6306417110_272de47ca2_b.jpg

What is it?
- What is it?! I think everyone is at least familiar with Btech in some form, many of which would be the famous Mechwarrior series of video games. Well Battletech along with the Warhammer series of games are some of the oldest classics still on the market today. Started back in 1982 by FASA, Battletech has had it's ups and downs, but as a franchise it's covered tons of ground. Roleplaying games, board games, card games, cartoon series, video games, and hundreds of novels.... the series has really been all over the place. Thanks to Catalyst games, the original classic version of the game was brought back once again several years ago, and for the most part the game has been left untouched and features the same classic rule set that has been around for nearly 30 years.

The rules
- Battletech nowadays would be what is considered a skirmish game by many, though as with anything related to this game, the scale and how it's played greatly varies. But lets just briefly go over the basics of how the game is played. Unlike most games nowadays Btech assumes a more sim approach to wargaming in which every unit has a detailed record sheet with rules for every little aspect of your machines. You have full hit location systems, you keep track of where weapons are located, where ammo is kept, where individual equipment is installed, as well as many of the various things you will also keep track of such as heat generated by the mechs and ammo spent. You will often have a full page sheet of data for each individual unit on the table. This will be daunting to many newer gamers today who are used to playing with nothing more than a stat line. Every machine in the game has it's own unique record sheet, which is then combined with stats of the pilot that is chosen to pilot said machinery.

Army creation and general size of games is pretty variable as Battletech is played in many different ways. The current basic rulebooks give you some details on ways to play such as by using a points system found in most games, or by having more free form squad creation mechanics that let players pretty much do whatever they want to fill in their slots. Mechs are obviously the star of Battletech and you will often find many tables playin the game with no more than mechs, but the game supports everything including infantry and airpower. The use of tanks, infantry, battlesuits, air units, etc allow for combined arms play but each has unique rules attached to it. The introduction products sold like the pictured starter box at the top of this preview for example focuses solely on rules or mech combat.

Rules for the game can seem like alot and it can be discouraging for new players, but in reality it all is very simple, there just is alot of rules involved to learn/remember. A rulebook is sold separately that contains all you need to play, and it is fairly large hardcover. There are 3 more large hardcover books that add in tons of collected optional rules which a person can easily ignore really. The 2nd book is the technical manual which is a very long complex book that allows players to essentially completely create their own mech/unit creations. Loved making custom units in the video game? Well here you go, but on an even more detailed manner. Sticking to the basic rules though the game really is not all that complex. Generally the game is played on a hex board, with lot of terrain features simply printed on premade map sheets which also gives off important play data such as the number of a terrain elevation. Hex based play removes alot of complexity in a ways, but for those who want, there are rule variants that let you play without hex mats using more traditional miniature gaming terrain. Tests generally are made using a skill/piloting roll of a die which is modified depending on board factors or unit conditions. Damage, cover, range, etc will simply modify the roll you need to succeed. Any results then are generally marked on the units big record sheet such as where the hit damages a unit, how many damage boxes get marked off, etc. The more detailed combat allows for players to also do things such as aim for specific portions on an enemy mech and destroy particular weapons.... or aim at a spot where the ammo is stored and try to cause your opponent to suffer an internal explosion by chance! It's detailed yet still simple sim style combat.

6305894247_5a1cbf9813.jpg

Further Notes:
- The rules for the game as mentioned will seem imposing to many newer players at first, and since the game has mostly stayed intact for 30 years, most of the games material is still valid.... so you have hundreds if not thousands of units in the game along with tons of unique items, equipment, and of course the eras involved. Battletech covers a timeline that spans many years and different wars/eras with each one having different technologies, units, and at times specific rules attached to each. The box set for example is set during the Succession Wars, which is too many considered the first and original era of the game. A fan favorite is the following era which is the Invasion of the Clans. Many different eras were expanded on over the years and now Catalyst games have been expanding the game further even now with the Jihad era and because rights have been ironed out, they plan on going into the Dark Age era. Seems like alot? Well yes that is probably the biggest issue with the game. With the wealth of story and rule options, the game will often be played in many different ways, unlike other games where you generally have a set standard of play. Generally the further into the timeline you go, the more complex the rules get as each era adds on new technologies that have unique rules, and it compounds on each other.

Catalyst games have realized the roadblocks of new players and how scary it seems so they created their introductory product lines as well as many friendly intro pdfs that can be found on the official site including basic fluff, and quickstart rules. The books even cover step by step how a new player should approach battletech using baby steps, and what product they should try next after experiencing one. You get everything you need in the intro box set that really allow a person to fully enjoy Battletech. It is a game that also has a nice advantage of not really being that expensive to play as your not making huge very expensive armies with tons of figs, often you will only be buying a handful of mechs or units. The box set comes with a mix of mechs that can be mix and matched to play in multiple ways as you get at least 24+ figs to start. A simple game will possibly be a single lance vs lance which would be roughly at times a 4 vs 4 battle only.

6306417204_9ed65de08e_z.jpg

Pros:
+ Options, Options, Options
+ Tons of customization
+ Simple to play sim based system
+ Relatively cheap to get into
+ Giant robots
+ Game can be played easily with counters or paper stand up replacements even
+ Years of material and fan support behind it.

Cons:
- Game universe and rule options are huge and will put off many
- Combined arms play requires lot of rules to remember
- Multiple eras creates a segmented player base at times

Well I could write a ton more on this game and universe but like with everything related to it.... there just is so much there. They could streamline the game probably but it would really kill it's fan base. The rules though really are not that complex as there are far larger and more robust complex rule sets on the market. Just trying the intro set stuff alone will bring a person tons of fun and replayability that can be expanded a little bit at a time if a person wants.

The portal for Classic Battletech can be found at : http://bg.battletech.com/
Quickstart intro pdf's as well as general everything Btech is linked here.

Leunam

Buddy of mine has one of the older sets with a good amount of mechs and a hex-mat. Been meaning to play but haven't had the time to meet up with him.

Leunam said:
Buddy of mine has one of the older sets with a good amount of mechs and a hex-mat. Been meaning to play but haven't had the time to meet up with him.

Yea lot of those old sets are very popular on the 2nd hand market because of all the one piece plastic mechs they always included. Pretty much same rule system, the major differences between the releases have mainly been various number tweaks to point values/stats. Pretty easy to teach a person to play also when you got units picked out for a straight up game, and probably lot less imposing a game in that manner.

Sneaky Gato said:
Would it be okay if I posted up some playtest rules and the new flulf? There are also some scans out there for the new white dwarf which contains some other new fluff such as trollcrons.

Opinion: While the Flayers aren't as bad as they looked before the old ones are still vastly superior.

Not sure if scans would be allowed, usually a no no, but you can repost any rumors or rules you know of.

I think everyone dislikes the new Flayers... have to say they are the worst of the new lot of crons.

Sneaky Gato said:
Alright but they are out there.

Here is where I'm getting them from:http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/403994.page

Warscyths giving +2 S and 2DS against AV is insane!

Yea, some more round up of rules from people as the books are now appearing in stores for preview copies: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=18227

They got lot of neat little rules now, like them putting in more unique flavor with army releases, for a while the game in 4th and early 5th seemed to be going way too streamlined and standard for my liking.

Crons seem crazy powerful overall, their speed is still going to be their biggest weakness

markatisu

I am tempted to get the Warmachine Starter set, can anyone who has played it give me a quick rundown of how it differs from WH40k?

I just spent like $100 on Space Marine stuff last week so I am sure my wife is going to be overjoyed I am looking into yet another game with miniatures LOL

hoverX

me too but i'm about 90% sure i won't be able to find the time to paint them all. I really want to play though!!

hiryu

markatisu said:
I am tempted to get the Warmachine Starter set, can anyone who has played it give me a quick rundown of how it differs from WH40k?

I just spent like $100 on Space Marine stuff last week so I am sure my wife is going to be overjoyed I am looking into yet another game with miniatures LOL

I don't know about the new rules but the way it use to be is that everything evolves around your main caster. If they die you lose. They are also the most powerful thing on the field. Actualy warmachines used to be pretty weak but I think they beefed them up in the new rules. All the casters have spells that do crazy things too and all the casters are vastly different. Basically if you choose a different caster it completely changes the way your army plays. It's a fast paced game too and smaller and more focused than 40k. The tables are usually 4'x4'.

markatisu said:

war machine/Hordes is a smaller scale game that revolves around your warcaster/warlock, who is a uber bad ass character. You lead a band of creatures or machines that your hero has to control in a ways with limited resources which also can power many of your characters magic spells. Your army will also usually have a selection of support troops who generally work on their own to help. Objective play is less common in these games, and often a central theme is to kill the opponents caster/warlock.

Its a bit more skirmish level but not quite so its rules are a little bit more detailed for combat compared to a warhammer game that is for quicker large scale engagements.

markatisu

Thanks guys, maybe I will swing by the comic shop tomorrow and see what is available

Does it have a magazine like WH has White Dwarf?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Sneaky Gato said:
Which ones do you own? For the most part the existing units seem to have been buffed, except for flayers and Monoliths.

Worried about Warrios, Destoyers and Monoliths. Not sure about Scarabs.

At least Wraiths can't be any worse than they were. It would be great if they are usefull now, such a cool model.

The biggest changes are that Phase out is gone. No more worrying about that. Second is that WBB has changed to Resurection Protecalls which is a universal 5+ save when you die(exceptions are spyders, scarabs, and wraiths which are constructs now) that can only be denied if the unit is wiped in a turn or if they are retreating. Overlords can take Royal courts which are 0-5 Crypteks and 0-5 Lords which can either be distributed through the squads to give them unique rules and staing power or become a deathstar unit.

I'm fairly sure warriors are 5-20 and have the same statline but with a 4+ save now. On the other hand they also now only cost 13 points and have acess to dedicated transports.

Monolith: It is a skimmer, but also a new vehicle type called 'Heavy' which means the vehicle cannot move faster than combat speed but always counts as stationary when firing.The Gaus Flux Arc on the Monolith no longer automatically hits every unit within range, instead each one fires separately and can hit four different targets (which can be different targets from the rest of its shooting). Has 4 Gauss Flux Arcs and each Arc is now just a straight up 3 shot weapon (instead of a random number of hits). Particle whip is now just a straight up S8, AP3, 24", Ordnance, large blast. Oh, and if the Monolith is put into Reserves, it must arrive via Deep Strike.

200 points now (confirmed in WD 382), which comes along with corresponding nerf in invulnerability (were you not expecting that?). Still AV 14 and still has Living Metal (although again that only helps remove Crew Stunned/Shaken now). Can still Deep Strike but apparently no longer has invulnerability from Mishaps(This is heavily rumored to change in 6th edition which has been confirmed to be coming next summer). The portal can be used to either transport any non-vehicle friendly Necron unit on the table (that isn't engaged in combat) through it or to suck enemy models within 6" to instant death who fail a Strength Test (one or the other can be done each shooting phase). No bonus to reanimation protocols is present when a unit goes through the Portal. The Portal can also be used to pull a unit out of reserves as well (instead of teleporting a unit on the table). A unit that is teleported through the Monolith's portal counts as disembarking from a moving vehicle (despite the fact that the portal teleportation happens before the Monolith moves).

Scarabs have become a Fearless Swarm and one of the most premier vehicle killers in the game. Thid is due to the new Entropic Strike rule which means that for every hit you role a D6. If it is 4+ AV on all sides is dropped! Against infantry they lose their armor save if an unsaved wound happens. They are also beasts meaning they have a 24" charge radius. Combined with the new Warsycth rules (+2 S and 2DS for armor pen), C'tan Shards, and the Comand barge Necrons can have scary CC power.

So thats why i've been seeing posts on various local boards for people looking to buy and aquire as many scarab bases as they can lol

Leunam

Sneaky Gato said:
Scarabs have become a Fearless Swarm and one of the most premier vehicle killers in the game. Thid is due to the new Entropic Strike rule which means that for every hit you role a D6. If it is 4+ AV on all sides is dropped! Against infantry they lose their armor save if an unsaved wound happens. They are also beasts meaning they have a 24" charge radius. Combined with the new Warsycth rules (+2 S and 2DS for armor pen), C'tan Shards, and the Comand barge Necrons can have scary CC power.

Wowowowow.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
BattleMonkey said:
So thats why i've been seeing posts on various local boards for people looking to buy and aquire as many scarab bases as they can lol

Would be nice if GW had a stand alone scarab box. Looks like Immortals are the better troop choice so it will be difficult to decide between getting more warriors and scarabs or them. Wish I could afford them all.

The Night Fighting shanagins you can pull of with this army are insane! Relentless heavy destroyers! Doctor Doom Necrons! 72" S 9 AP 1 Large Blast!

The amount cool stuff in here is amazing! And pictues of stuff are amazing! Especially Illuminor!

For those who don't get what I'm talking about with Night Fighting There is a special character who makes it autmatically Night fighting for the first turn along with lightning strikes at D6 S6 and then you roll on the susequent turns, 2+, 3+, etc to keep it going. At first this would seem worthless because it would also affect you. However the Crypteks get a power that either turns Night Fighting on or off on your or your opponents turn. So you can cancel it on your turn to get free shots at someone and then night fighting comes back on their turn!

The Command Barge is a real killer. Barge is fast, so you flat out to close the distance, and then on next turn end your move within 6" of the tanks after having flown over a secondary target. Now make your 3 sweep attacks on the tank you flew over at S7 + 2D6. Then you disembark, and charge the other tank (barge is open-topped), making four more attacks at S7 + 2D6. All of which are on rear armor. Also since it is Fast, you can go up to 12" and still shoot the Tesla Cannon.

Saiyar said:
Would be nice if GW had a stand alone scarab box. Looks like Immortals are the better troop choice so it will be difficult to decide between getting more warriors and scarabs or them. Wish I could afford them all.

They always do this annoying stuff where something amazing is hard to get ahold of in the amounts you need.

I wouldn't say Immortals are better, but a mix of both would be good. Immortals are nice but a big factor before obviously that they cost too much to collect when they were metal.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Had a read through the codex now. Looks like I had nothing to worry about.

Fast attack section is seriously stacked, it will be hard choosing which units to take from there. At least you can take 5 wraiths/destoryers in a squad now.

Praetorians are the only real turkey in the book. I can't see any reason to have them ahead of some of the other units given the points cost and their options actually make them worse!

It's a one-off 750-piece production, but I just ordered one of these: http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/smm21-azumi

tYaGe.jpg

AoTr6.jpg

Won't be an easy paint but its awesome.

I've been thinking of getting into D&D or something, partly cuz I want to collect and paint odd models of different types and somehow use them all in something.

^ that vid. Cool :) The MK1 Rhino was the current one when I stopped playing 40K back in about '98 or '99. Around the time the Dark Eldar were first launched, it was.

Studio Mcvey makes some awesome stuff, I've had to put a freeze on buying any miniatures for now though, got a close of boxes and blisters of shit I got to put together and paint still that is barely being touched. Most of my gaming lately has been taken up by board gaming.

One nice thing though is my GF is showing lot of interest in picking up some of my figs and painting them..... might help me get through my backlog :D

Been playing a bit of Malifaux of late, its really growing on me :D

also Infinity. Impulse bought a whole army of Haqq Islam lol. The minis are sweet and hot damn the rulebook is pretty.

hoverX

Infinity looks wicked. There is only one store in the city that advertises the game though. Don't even know how many players try get.

I'd definitely give infinity a go if I had someone to play it with. It looks really neat.

Anyone remember Warhammer Quest? Me and a friend at school used to play the hell out of that. I was so happy to finally get the wood elf war dancer character for it! The game was really unfair but so fun!

hoverX

I'd definitely give infinity a go if I had someone to play it with. It looks really neat.

Anyone remember Warhammer Quest? Me and a friend at school used to play the hell out of that. I was so happy to finally get the wood elf war dancer character for it! The game was really unfair but so fun!
Out of all the stuff i brought from my parents house to my apartment, I made sure Warhammer Quest was dug out of the basement.

They just keep one upping themselves with their figs. Infinity is such a gorgeous game... though that giant gun and ammo belt look like they will be a small nightmare to keep from breaking. This is a new TAG model so it's about 60-70% taller than a normal infantry model.

6447570743_27f52128b6_b.jpg

Those are gorgeous. I love the paint jobs on them. So bright and clear.

I got hold of the original metal Sorscha figure for WM's Khador faction today. I know a lot of people prefer the plastic new sculpt, but I find this one a lot more appealing, just as I prefer the original Butcher sculpt.

I've just primed her today, and can't wait to get painting once there's some sunlight again. How do you guys paint in Winter? Do you have a special lighting set up?

Edit:

Naughty, but I did it by lamplight :p probably will spot loads of flaws in the morning. Oh well! I couldn't resist painting her up.

Those look great, I need to get back to painting stuff. Still got a bit of Malifaux to finish up before I try moving onto another project. If I can get started with my GF into painting some stuff I'm sure it will be a motivator to start doing it on a regular basis.

If any UK gaffers want cheap minis, Maelstrom Games have a 17% off voucher code: ITS-CHRISTMAS-2011

I just ordered some of the new plastic Khador Men-O-War. Pretty cool the code works on pre-orders.

Edit: Now with shields. Paintjob is tabletop standard at best. Lots of patchy areas, but it took me 9 hours or so solid painting to get them to this state :p

AZ8ad.jpg

Apath

I agree. In fact the one in front to the right with the beard looks amazing with how well defined his face is.

Thanks guys :) I think I'll have another pass at Sorschas face on the weekend and see if I can make her look less like a Redead.

Need more GAF Warmachiners!

hoverX

Is there a good website for Warmachine painting tips? If i do decide to buy an army I really need to step up my game.

edit: i want to paint a Retribution army but they look hard as fuck.

Top Bottom