• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection announced for Switch (SD1-3 roms, 4800 yen)

Aru

Yo. I need this (and a Switch).
June 1 is my birthday :D What a perfect day to release this, but sadly this is just the japanese release date :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There are 4 versions of the first game in existence:
- the original GB FFA in B&W with really clunky controls
- a remake for old imode feature phones in full color
- a full reimagination called Sword of Mana (which was balls!)
- a 3D remake of the original on Vita and smartphones

For 4800yen they could throw in more than one version surely...

It would have been better to put the 3D remake also since that's the latest and most accessible remake that's 95% close to the original.

That's not how it works. Romancing SaGa 2 was never localized either. They still brought the smartphone version out in English. It wasn't 49.99. :p

I wish they bring out the English version on Vita soon. :|

NolbertoS

That's not how it works. Romancing SaGa 2 was never localized either. They still brought the smartphone version out in English. It wasn't 49.99. :p

That the Apple Store though, Duckroll, with way more million users than the Switch userbase. Chances of breaking even are higher. Unless they plan on releasing the Seiken Densetsu collection to IOS store out West to offset translation costs, somwaht unlikely to be released here. But then again, Nintendo did finance the DQVII english localization, so anything can happen :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That boxart is really great. But yeah for that price they have to add alot more...makes the SF2 Capcom port for Switch pricing look reasonable lol.

They need to implement online coop.

Edit:
lol at the new thread title..."SD 1-3 roms" is it confirmed that there will be no changes ? Seems a bit biased.

Champion

Seiken Densetsu 3 being part of the collection means Square more than likely wont be localizing this.:( I might import just for that boxart.

Ombala

Holy shit didnt see this coming.
Might need a Switch in the future now.
Was thinking about hos good SoM would be on Switch just the other day actually.

Buuut if they dont translate it I wont Bother tbh.

Eusis

What helps SD3 here I think is that 1. it's a smaller collection of games that don't need serious reworking (Dragon Quest), 2. being a new physical release and not just a straight VC release it's a "bigger" release to justify localizing, and 3. by extension they are free to charge more, so $40+. And I think I'd be Ok with $40 for an English SD3 that came with the prior two games, and maybe $50 though I'd try to get a deal first.

SE had also usually been better with series like this, while something like DQ has always been a mixed bag. Ignoring the SO2 re-release on PS4 is... bewildering, though.
Are people saying this cause part 3 was never localized before? Or is there some weird licencing/censorship/cultural issue?
SE's been a bit of a wild card as highlighted above. They're especially hard to get a read on now, as it seems anything under AAA level has a 50/50 chance of being localized or ignored, even when it seems low effort as hell (digital rerelease of SO2 that was translated for PSP and ported to PS4 fails to hit NA/EU because...??? If it's not licensing or obscure technical difficulties I'm at a loss.) It'd be easy to laugh it off as writing off niche releases entirely, except games like Adventure of Mana and RS2 get translated AND Vita versions brought over (or scheduled to) so something else must be going on that isn't a blanket write off.

duckroll

That the Apple Store though, Duckroll, with way more million users than the Switch userbase. Chances of breaking even are higher. Unless they plan on releasing the Seiken Densetsu collection to IOS store out West to offset translation costs, somwaht unlikely to be released here. But then again, Nintendo did finance the DQVII english localization, so anything can happen :p

Romancing SaGa 2 is a 18 USD release. There probably aren't even 10,000 people willing to pay for that on the platform. Lol.

GamerJM

Banned
If this gets localized I might bite just for SD3 after all these years. No interested in importing instead of just playing the original versions

duckroll

http://www.4gamer.net/games/374/G037496/20170321030/

Nintendo Switch 版の新機能
クイックセーブ機能:本作では、プレイ中どこでもセーブすることが可能です
ミュージックモード :ホーム画面から、3 作品のゲーム音源を試聴することができます
画面切り替えモード(『聖剣伝説-ファイナルファンタジー外伝-』のみ):複数の画面サイズから遊びやすいものを選んでプレイすることができます

New Features for Nintendo Switch:
- Quick Save
- Music Mode: Listen to music from all 3 games from the collection's home menu
- Screen Options (FFA only): Choose from various screen aspect ratios available

Amazing effort for a beloved collection of games.

Aru

They could have at least used the smartphone version of Secret of Mana which has bugfixed and better sprites.

Well it's better than nothing.

Wow I was really excited until I realized, is this like.... 3 roms for 4800yen on a card? Literally? These are all the original versions (that's not a bad thing), with none of the remake options or touched up enhancements (maybe I'm mistaken?!)....?

If they don't enhance the games and leave them original, it's more likely that the cart itself has a few extra features outside the games.

EDIT: like those.

What helps SD3 here I think is that 1. it's a smaller collection of games that don't need serious reworking (Dragon Quest), 2. being a new physical release and not just a straight VC release it's a "bigger" release to justify localizing, and 3. by extension they are free to charge more, so $40+. And I think I'd be Ok with $40 for an English SD3 that came with the prior two games, and maybe $50 though I'd try to get a deal first.

SE had also usually been better with series like this, while something like DQ has always been a mixed bag. Ignoring the SO2 re-release on PS4 is... bewildering, though.

SE's been a bit of a wild card as highlighted above. They're especially hard to get a read on now, as it seems anything under AAA level has a 50/50 chance of being localized or ignored, even when it seems low effort as hell (digital rerelease of SO2 that was translated for PSP and ported to PS4 fails to hit NA/EU because...??? If it's not licensing or obscure technical difficulties I'm at a loss.)

God why did you remind me of SO2's situation? T-T

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

also

Banned
Doesn't VC have strict rules about modifying the original ROMs? Maybe this is a way to get around that so they can localize/relocalize this stuff.
No, that's Sony.
There have been plenty of edits on VC from reducing potential epilepsy seizure triggers to translations and removal of licensed stuff.

-shadow-

I would totally get this if it was localised. But i doubt they'll retroactively still do the third one. Such a shame.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
This would require a translation of Seiken Densetsu 3, which has never happened in an official capacity. I doubt squeezing what's to make such an investment now of all times.
One can only hope that Square has it secretly translated already back in the SNES days but never managed to release the game here for one reason or another... now they can use that translation and bring it over here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/374/G037496/20170321030/

New Features for Nintendo Switch:
- Quick Save
- Music Mode: Listen to music from all 3 games from the collection's home menu
- Screen Options (FFA only): Choose from various screen aspect ratios available

Amazing effort for a beloved collection of games.

So... Kinda like Megaman Legacy collection but only has half the amount of games and double the price?

SE nostalgia trip doing the sellin'.

One can only hope that Square has it secretly translated already back in the SNES days but never managed to release the game here for one reason or another... now they can use that translation and bring it over here.

That would be really nice. SD3 is one of my all-time favorite SNES games, it's criminal that we still don't have an official way to play it after all this time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That's good news but it's also hella expensive :/

Yup - just like Street Fighter 2 on Switch ...interested but will wait on a price drop if we get this. I dont have to own those classics at Day 1.

Luigiv

Well this is more or less what I was expecting after yesterday's teaser, though I wasn't expecting Switch exclusivity.

Now Localise this SE so I can buy it on sale.

Hilarion

They could be translating SD3 into English for an iOS/Android release anyway and use the same script. It'd certainly be SEish to figure out how many times they could make bank on the same 20 year old game.

Top Bottom