• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

This movie portrays to perfection the almost " banality " of war. How much war is just a waste of life and how much of it is just people scrambling and improvising to stay alive. I think this movie will be very powerful for the history buffs or those who had family who fought in the battle of France.

Definitely. A youth being corrupted through an unprecedented wave of violence. If this is what it takes to survive, then so be it. There is no heroism from the soldiers, outside of Farrier, just kids hanging onto life. The anonymity, both from the comrades and the enemy only adds to the brutal detachment war leads to. That very impersonal side of War has rarely been portrayed.

I liked when the son chose to lie to murphy even though he probably wanted to throw his ass off the boat or worse.

Nolan was really on point with those small interactions between people to show you the best and worst parts of humanity.

At the end when someone is mad at the RAF pilot and asks "where the hell were you?" even though everyone on the beach knows he saved many lives that day.

Then the boat pilot says "They know where you were."

I find it hard to agree with people who say it didn't feel like you could identify with people, cause those moments made it feel pretty real to me.

Hated it. The movie was just bass and string instruments and a clock ticking and a bunch of dudes I couldn't tell apart and didn't care if they lived or died because I had no idea who they were. I cared about Tom Hardy because he's Tom Hardy, but otherwise it was just a loud, confusing mess.

DMczaf

Get on Nolan's selfie game level

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/888554330747535360

From the MAKING OF DUNKIRK book: Nolan floating in the sea in front of an IMAX camera

DFTHclCXYAQAszj.jpg:large

I need more time to rank it among his other movies (It's near the top for sure though) But I definitely think you can argue that it's his 'best' movie. Most well made, and it felt like it was the exact movie he envisioned. He had complete confidence and was totally in control of production and it showed.

I fucking love Interstellar, but I can't defend some of the choices made in that movie. I just love it for what it was trying to do. Basically everything 'wrong' with this movie feels like personal preference, not an actual flaw with the movie itself.

This movie felt like Christopher Nolan at his most self-indulgent to me, so for people who like that style they'll have a good time, but for me it was just a cacophony that was so unrelenting that it became mind-numbing.

I get the feeling that's kinda what he was going for to represent war and whatnot, but regardless of it being the intention, I did not enjoy it.

3rdman

Brilliant! Loved it! I liked the narratives merging at the end and the sound design was excellent. I have no complaints other than the leads on the beach looked too similar to each other and made discerning them difficult at times. That's it...go see it

Have you noticed that Nazis were not in this film? Only their bombs, bullets and torpedos. Not one face was shown in focus or detail. Masterful. The main antagonist of the film was fear and hopelessness.

Yep. I love how they were portrayed as some menacing force just over the horizon. Well, apart from the Stukas.

And I chuckled when I saw that Kanjiklub guy was in it. Didn't I just see him in Doctor Who?

MrJames

I plan on seeing this on Monday. My options are an AMC Imax (digital) or an AMC Dolby Cinema. Which will provide a better experience or will they be about the same?

JayDub

I fell for the hype and have to say...

If you're not into war movies, this one isn't for you. Not to say it wasn't a great movie, just that from all the hyperbole I was expecting an experience that transcends the genre (a movie so good you'll like it even if you're not into the genre, an example of this would be Inglorious Basterds).

Harry Styles was great. Really a standout.
The main character had such shit luck, but also such great luck.

I think euros will find it easier to appreciate this movie because americans are used to watching the history of WWII centered around their own army where it's pretty much always the same scenario " Valiant american warriors storm the beaches to save Europe and save the World " so yeah you're used to the emotional and adrenaline rush but you won't find any in Dunkirk.

This movie portrays to perfection the almost " banality " of war. How much war is just a waste of life and how much of it is just people scrambling and improvising to stay alive. I think this movie will be very powerful for the history buffs or those who had family who fought in the battle of France.
Very well put.
I didn't get that feeling at all. The soldiers were evacuating a ghost town and harrassed by only a handful of soldiers, planes and subs. He did a horrible job of showing the coming behemoth of the German army and the French who were struggling to hold them back.
Sometimes when you watch a move about tension, if you don't click then you just don't. I've heard people said Sicario and No Country for the Old Man were boring. *shrug*

This wasn't just Nolan's first war film, it was his first horror film. Like, fucking christ. Seeing this on a proper full-size IMAX (Laser Projected instead of 70mm, unfortunately) was quite possibly the single most-tense film going experience I've ever had.

I didn't think anything could outdo It Comes At Night when it comes to tension this year, but this fucking film.

So I don't think there's a theatre in South Florida showing the movie in IMAX 70mm but there is an IMAX with laser showing on one of the real IMAX screens.

Or I can go to a 70mm showing in a regular theatre.

Worth making an hour drive to the IMAX with laser showing?

So I don't think there's a theatre in South Florida showing the movie in IMAX 70mm but there is an IMAX with laser showing on one of the real IMAX screens.

Yes, IMAX laser are amazing.

70mm ain't bad either.

What are the prices?

I literally JUST saw it in that specific IMAX. It was absolutely killer, see my post 5 posts back.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I could see how if someone wasn't paying attention some of the scenes would be confusing to follow, but I really liked how Nolan focused on everything by going back and forth across different times of the event to capture the highlights.

This movie was amazing. The part where the boat captain is yelling at his son that he knows the pilot might not be alive really got to me.

I just clocked why he was so insistent on rescuing the pilot. Damn.

I already watched in IMAX 70mm, and I plan to watch it again in IMAX 70mm when my friend gets back from Tennessee a month later. Dunkirk in IMAX 70mm is so good as an experience, I am willing to pay $22.35 again. I usually go to $5.50 theatres, and I barely go to theatres.

Will Dunkirk still be available in IMAX 70mm on Aug 21? I am lucky that the nearest IMAX 70mm theatre is 25 min away.

This movie was incredibly loud at my IMAX, and incredibly immersive. The
background ticking stop watch from the first second of the movie
was incredibly well done and eery when it finally stopped. Great movie.

I already watched in IMAX 70mm, and I plan to watch it again in IMAX 70mm when my friend gets back from Tennessee a month later. Dunkirk in IMAX 70mm is so good as an experience, I am willing to pay $22.35 again. I usually go to $5.50 theatres, and I barely go to theatres.

Will Dunkirk still be available in IMAX 70mm on Aug 21? I am lucky that the nearest IMAX 70mm theatre is 25 min away.

I believe so, it should be in theaters for a month

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This movie was incredibly loud at my IMAX, and incredibly immersive. The
background ticking stop watch from the first second of the movie
was incredibly well done and eery when it finally stopped. Great movie.

The what now?
/Googles
That's... that's really something.

Have you noticed that Nazis were not in this film? Only their bombs, bullets and torpedos. Not one face was shown in focus or detail. Masterful. The main antagonist of the film was fear and hopelessness.
Damn, this is deep. Really great observation. I really want to go see it again, but Dunkirk really feels like a one time thing.

I'm super excited to see it again on Tuesday. Gonna be able to see how the timelines sync up better. And the audio and visual spectacle will still be incredible.
That is true. The first 30 min was a bit confusing but after that it clicked for me.

Also interested to see how this does in the box office. Last week, I was expecting a flop. But with amazing reviews and seeing the IMAX theater I went to sold out for the rest of the weekend, I think it will do great! :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it was ok.

looked really great though. anticipating the youtube video essays that i will probably like more than i liked the movie.

jtb

Banned

This was very obvious and heavy handed, to the point where
the only time the Germans are referred to is when they mistakenly identify the French soldier as one.

Not a rhetorical question: Why is this a good thing? (and/or "Is it a good thing?")

In war, soldiers aren't being shot at and killed by fear and hopelessness. They're being shot at and killed by other humans.

Isn't treating war as an act of god or a force of nature ignoring something incredibly fundamental and harrowing about war itself?

About 20 minutes into the film the IMAX projector broke :(

Enjoyed what little I got to see, haha.

Edit: If you're set in seeing it in 70mm IMAX at the Mall of Georgia tomorrow, might want to call first and see if they've fixed the projector first.

Hmm....I've decided that I'm not going to watch it. I'm sure it's a good movie (or not so good if you're part of that opinion) but I don't think that I'll enjoy it too much. Especially after reading some of the comments.

Then again I really really like The Dark Knight Rises so maybe I really shouldn't watch this gathering by how many view TDKR here.

EDIT: Oh crap I thought this was the review thread and my post never came through so I tried again! My bad.

This was very obvious and heavy handed, to the point where
the only time the Germans are referred to is when they mistakenly identify the French soldier as one.

Not a rhetorical question: Why is this a good thing? (and/or "Is it a good thing?")

In war, soldiers aren't being shot at and killed by fear and hopelessness. They're being shot at and killed by other humans.

Isn't treating war as an act of god or a force of nature ignoring something incredibly fundamental and harrowing about war itself?

Is the movie really even that much about war? War is... boring, even on days with combat. It's sitting around with dread as you try to be able to move at a moment's notice.

A real war movie can be super tense and have character development as the characters interact in those long moments of upcoming horror. This movie just wants to show the horror that can happen in a battle, not in a war.

And I hated that decision because a movie will have to convince me to care about movieman getting blown to bits and just watching a battle of random dudes you don't care about is uninteresting.

jtb

Banned
Is the movie really even that much about war? War is... boring, even on days with combat. It's sitting around with dread as you try to be able to move at a moment's notice.

A real war movie can be super tense and have character development as the characters interact in those long moments of upcoming horror. This movie just wants to show the horror that can happen in a battle, not in a war.

And I hated that decision because a movie will have to convince me to care about movieman getting blown to bits and just watching a battle of random dudes you don't care about is uninteresting.

FWIW, I totally agree. It's not a war film. It's more a psychological thriller set in the middle of this big historical set piece. I'm not really sure the film knows what themes it believes in, other than... 'triumph of the human spirit' which I always find to be a pretty hollow, and often grossly dehumanizing and jingoistic, theme in war films. There are certainly motifs of missed perception and
blindness
everywhere in the film, but I don't think Nolan ever does the legwork to develop them into coherent ideas.

Very half-baked script propped up by Nolan flexing his directorial muscles. (That could describe every one of his post-Prestige films, tbh)

I'm tempted to call it 'cowardly' because war films should be held to a very high standard (see: Truffaut's infamous 'impossible to make an anti-war film' quote) but I'll settle on 'disappointing.' Could've been more.

Dunkirk is like Gravity in that it isn't really about the setting except for the cool physics things they can do with the setting.

But Gravity gave itself time to breathe.

Saw it earlier tonight. What a fantastic film.

It was gripping from start to finish, and I really liked the structure of the film, and how it all comes together in the end.

Top Bottom