• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dog seems to frequently have seizures while sleeping

My dog is a 1 year old Catahoula/Lab mix. I've had her for 3 or 4 weeks now and I've noticed a lot of times when she's sleeping she has these seizures. Last night she was even making little barking noises. All of the dogs I've had sometimes twitch while they were dreaming, but this dog's twitching seem a little more frequent and more intense. If I call her she will wake up fine with no discernable pain or discomfort which is why I haven't been to the vet. She has an appointment in a couple weeks so I'll discuss it then with the doctor during her checkup.

Does anyone have or have had a dog that seems to twitch aggressively while sleeping?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Those just sound like stuff a dog does in its sleep. An actual seizure is something the dog won't just wake up from if you call out to them. I could be wrong of course but my dog twitches like crazy while she's sleeping and there isn't a thing wrong with her. She's done it since she was a pup and it often makes me wonder what she's dreaming about because shit gets intense sometimes, she'll growl and whine in her sleep and all that.

Edit: I've had dog's who have had seizures. You'll know when they have a seizure, its no joke.

It can happen that they get seizures in sleep but how violent is it?

My dog moves all of his legs and sometimes shakes his whole body while doing a weird fake bark thing in his sleep and he is just dreaming. Usually, ends it with a big sigh.

It's worth keeping an eye on though.

My dog is a 1 year old Catahoula/Lab mix. I've had her for 3 or 4 weeks now and I've noticed a lot of times when she's sleeping she has these seizures. Last night she was even making little barking noises. All of the dogs I've had sometimes twitch while they were dreaming, but this dog's twitching seem a little more frequent and more intense. If I call her she will wake up fine with no discernable pain or discomfort which is why I haven't been to the vet. She has an appointment in a couple weeks so I'll discuss it then with the doctor during her checkup.

Does anyone have or have had a dog that seems to twitch aggressively while sleeping?

Our old dog used to bark and "run" in her sleep. It sounds like she's just dreaming quite intensely, especially since she seems to be okay when you wake her up. But it never hurts to monitor the situation and definitely bring it up when you're at the vet :).

Also, my girlfriends dog had seizures. If your dog has seizures then you'll really know it, that shit is terrible :(

I've had it now and then with my dog where she would bark a little and sometime also sort of run a bit in her sleep. I think your dog is perfectly fine.

WaterAstro

QYoupR5.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not seizures just intense dreams. I know it looks bad if it's really intense, but it's just them isn't themselves sprinting or chasing something. Pretty funny to watch. I know it can be concerning but don't wake them up, they can react and bite you (they won't, but just as a precaution) it also disturbs their sleep.

big_z

if you can call your dogs name or clap your hands and it wakes up right away during these incidents then it's dreaming and you have nothing to worry about.

FyreWulff

sounds like dreaming. dogs don't have sleep paralysis like we do

it's always hilarious to watch them run at a full sprint in their sleep

Hixx

If your dog is having a seizure, you will know. Trust me, it's fucking horrible to watch. If you can wake her up, she was dreaming.

Some dogs sleep like a rock, some... indulge :)P) in their dreams.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You would know if your dog has a seizure. What you describe is no where near a seizure.

Mine suffers from legit seizures, it's terrifying and there is a period after them that he seems completely lifeless and dead, then it's like his body reboots and he's obviously blind for at least a minute after them.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My cat does this, sand barking, but he will start a low key growl going with his twitching.

Also your dog would be having these seizures awake as well as while asleep if they were legit.

You would absolutely know if your dog was having a seizure OP, it's several steps above their dream spasms in intensity.

You sound like a very attentive and aware owner though, which is awesome. Your dog is in good hands.

Iorv3th

That's just puppy dreams. My dog has seizures and he can't snap out of it when you call him. Basically have to hold him still while it's happening or he will flail around and hurt himself.

TronWayne

My dog does this all the time, runs and barks in her sleep. No big deal, especially since you said you call her name and she is fine. Also I'm pretty sure when people or animals have a seizure they don't hop up running, lol.

Top Bottom