• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51% of Canadians believe religion does more harm than good (up 7% from 2011)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Someone still had to have the idea to take a stick and fasten a rock to it. The idea to sharpen a stick and use it as a weapon. Just because we take it for a given and classify it as knowledge of the natural world doesn't mean that at the time it wasn't groundbreaking science. Someone had to know that a pointy stick hurts and had to build one and test it before going to the tribe and telling them "Guys, this works"

When it comes to fire, whether accident or not. Someone had to realize the processes involved in making that fire and that using food on it equals better tasting food.

Ancient humans looked at the sky way before telescopes and realized that there were patterns that began to emerge. They used those patterns to learn more about predicting the seasons and with that knowledge began to grow crops more efficiently. Agriculture.

Even if they didn't understand why they were doing it or how the things worked. Someone still had to invent the process and come up with the idea for it and put it into action, learning from the results. I'd say that is early science. Sure it resembles nothing close to what we are doing now post-scientific method and now with us entering into the Digital-AI Age. But it is still Science, even if we classify it as something different now.

Add to that every horticultural advancement early humans made. They did a ton of science without calling it science. Experimentation, proven results, going with what works, changing things when they found something better.

Phu

Banned
Morality cannot be explored in the scientific realm for it is a construct of society, culture, and civilization. Religion provided a useful tool in the implementation, enforcement, and study of morality, allowing it to take root in how we as humans act and think over the course of millennia. Religion played a significant role in the crafting and establishment of the concept of human rights as they stand today, dating back to the early 13th century from works religious thinkers like Aquinas. Now of course, one could argue that philosophy could be a different means to the same end, but is it realistic to say that philosophy has the structure, organization, and power to influence the world entire?

What? Philosophies can spread like wildfire.

i wish more people were like you in this regard. i believe the world would be a much better place
Thanx, but i'm not so sure ;P. I don't think religion is the cause of all evil. It's inequality and greed in most cases, if i were to guess. People thinking they are more important than other people. Most people just want their pursuit of happiness in peace with others i think. Most people want to make it work. But some want more power. Power in this regard is the ability to force your pursuit to happiness over, and at the cost of, someone else's pursuit to happiness. Not sure why people are so horny for that kind of power. They could just as well use their influence to make it all work and make things better.

I do think religion in general is in the way of scientific progress and even moral progress.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Church and/or religion funded charities save millions of children each year from dying of famine. The number of people killed in the name of religion each year is lower. So I'd say Canadians are wrong.

I dont know any group or persons that seriously "lumps all religious people as being not worthy of serious treatment". Do they refuse service to religious people? Do they oppress them in some way? Who are these people?

What are they disrespecting? Their belief? Because that doesnt deserve respect on its own.

Are they disrespecting religious people as human beings? Obviously, that's not right, but I can't imagine that makes up a significant number of atheists. I don't see them wielding any power over religious people. I don't need to respect religious beliefs, but that doesn't mean I treat nice religious people any differently.

This whole "Don't disrespect religious people" often comes from religious people who take some privilege in oppressing non-religious people, which is why I find the whole conversation meaningless. It is often brought up to rile the idea that they are victims for believing in god, as if society actually oppresses religious people for simply believing what they do.

I dont see the sentiment that "religion is harmful" to imply anything about these people disrespecting religious people. Some religious folks are awfully sensitive to hearing that people dont respect their religion or that they mock their beliefs, which is when I often hear them talk about religious persecution.

I'm not defending the horrific victim complex that certain Christian Groups have(seriously, fuck those who think "God's Not Dead" is this MasterCraft of a film), but I've had people clam up when I bring it up in context( IE discussion of news, gets onto the church, they start lambasting the whole faith and I just mention my faith)

My issues again came from "Oh, you told me you're religious that must mean you're stupid". There's nothing to be gained from that attitude. That's all I'm saying. That even that many think that way is insane. I mean, without even getting into specifics, simply telling someone I'm Christian tells them virtually nothing beyond "I believe Jesus was God and Died for our sins". For every single political/Social view in Canada, I could find you a Christian who believes it.

I do wish that Religion was viewed with less hostility, but I am well aware of the atrocities that have been done in the name of God(Residential Schools jump to mind). The general populace is right to think the religious have done more harm, but keep in mind the age of each religion relative to the age of each nation. I just wish that we'd reach a point where telling anyone your religion wouldn't cause any negative responses.

Church and/or religion funded charities save millions of children each year from dying of famine. The number of people killed in the name of religion each year is lower. So I'd say Canadians are wrong.

What if those children are dying of starvation because their parents died from AIDS because their religion told them using protection is wrong?

GKnight

Banned
The poll question is stupid.
I dont think religion does any harm. Crazy people would be crazy whether they went to church or not.
Good people would be good likewise.
That said church is a great social activity for a lot of people especially the elderly and in that way it definitely does more good than bad.

The poll question is stupid.
I dont think religion does any harm. Crazy people would be crazy whether they went to church or not.
Good people would be good likewise.
That said church is a great social activity for a lot of people especially the elderly and in that way it definitely does more good than bad.

What?

There are countless social issues that wouldn't be issues if it wasn't for religion.

NJSlay

Banned

A lot of those people are in that position to begin with because of religion.

WaterAstro

Canadians stay woke.

Although as an atheist, I'm not really for or against religion. My only wish is religion can never interfere with scientific progress.

A lot of scientific progress was made by religious people.

The reason why there is a belief that religion is stopping science and evolution belief is because of stupid sects of Christianity, that have no business of being an organization, is using disinformation and fear to drive people to their church for monetary reasons.

nacimento

If it wasn't religion, it would be something else.

Look how bad we are when it comes to "console wars". People even need to be banned sometimes with how aggressive they are with their opinions.

This is such a terrible argument. You can excuse ANYTHING with this argument. If it wasn't racism, people would find other reasons to hate each other. If it wasn't fascism, people would still find reasons to think others are inferior. That doesn't excuse anything.

But religion always get this defense. Nobody would say "but but without fascism people would find sports to hate on each other!!!"

Not equating religion to ay of those two, just illustrating why this argument is stupid.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
you are correct, there is a difference between lack of belief of X and believing the contrary of X. mainly, the difference is that "believing the contrary of X" requires "lack of belief of X". In other words, lack of belief is not suffcient for believing the contrary but it is necessary.
therefore, there is a factor or set of factors that must occur for "I don't believe there is a god" to become "I believe there is no god".

Even so, strictly speaking, you are wrong about atheism being a belief. The set of factors I mentioned do not apply here. The strong definition of atheism only implies lack of belief. If you want to know more, look up "shifting the burden of proof" as relates to religious arguments.

As hurricanes said on the last page, this is not correct. You're misusing the terms. Agnosticism is not lack of belief, but rather lack of knowledge. In the same vein, atheism is simply lack of belief. There are many different ways people adopt atheistic ideas, and I'm sure many people DO hold the belief that "There are no gods". But again, strictly speaking, that belief is outside the meaning of the word "atheism".

The interesting thing is that everyone is agnostic - because there is no supporting corroborative evidence of the claims of any religion. As a result, there are no gnostic believers in existence.

As I said earlier, "I don't believe in god" is a lack of belief, and "I believe there is no god" is a belief.

Maybe it would be better if we split atheism into two camps: Atheists, and antitheists.
Semantically maybe so if you want to be completely accurate, but in practice it's fairly interchangeable and that's how they're used often. And colloquially that makes sense too, since if you don't believe in god, then you believe there is no god. If you believe there is no god, then you don't believe in god.

Either way, in practice I wouldn't classify it as a belief to be honest. Part of the world view of the person holding that view, but not a belief any more than "I believe there are no unicorns", as in not really active denial (any more than believing there are no unicorns) but taking the position because the person doesn't see any reason to believe. I don't really see much point in classifying such views as beliefs. You're free to do that though but it does seem pretty meaningless don't you think?

jstripes

Banned
Semantically maybe so if you want to be completely accurate, but in practice it's fairly interchangeable and that's how they're used often. And colloquially that makes sense too, since if you don't believe in god, then you believe there is no god. If you believe there is no god, then you don't believe in god.

Either way, in practice I wouldn't classify it as a belief to be honest. Part of the world view of the person holding that view, but not a belief any more than "I believe there are no unicorns", as in not really active denial (any more than believing there are no unicorns) but taking the position because the person doesn't see any reason to believe. I don't really see much point in classifying such views as beliefs. You're free to do that though but it does seem pretty meaningless don't you think?

I don't believe in god, but I can't categorically dismiss the possible existence of one/ones, so I can't say I believe there is no god.

That's why I prefer using the term agnostic, personally.

It's actually interesting that a more multicultural society seems to foster anti-relgious sentiment. Which makes sense, insisting on imposing a specific religious view seems to run counter to a multicultural democracy.

Not to mention it doesn't exactly jive with a worldview that has experienced multiple perfectly good cultural viewpoints that don't seem to lock into any one religion.

Neece

As I said earlier, "I don't believe in god" is a lack of belief, and "I believe there is no god" is a belief.

Maybe it would be better if we split atheism into two camps: Atheists, and antitheists.

But we already do that.

SZ8SQEr.png

Oh, so religion causes famine now?

Yemeni famine is 100% because of religion.

Boko Haram more or less is the cause for the famine in Nigeria atm. Same for Somalia and the various Islamist groups from there.

The South Sudan famine is also indirectly because of religion. If Sudan didn't try to start a war there because they thought they were non-Muslim heathens, it wouldn't be as unstable today.

Can you really measure the amount of damage done by religious groups that go to Africa to preach abstinence and deny condoms?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does the not-a-stamp-collector tell everyone he's not a stamp collector at every given opportunity?
Atheists don't do that at all. It's the opposite over here (Québec), everyone's pretty much assumed to be an atheist until someone says they are Christian or whatever so the subject never comes up.

I don't believe in god, but I can't categorically dismiss the possible existence of one/ones, so I can't say I believe there is no god.

That's why I prefer using the term agnostic, personally.
Almost every single atheist doesn't actually deny the theoretical possibility of some kind of supernatural god existing. The possibility is just so insignificant that there's no reason to separate the "I believe there is no god" and "I believe there is no god". Again, the same goes for magical unicorns. You can't really completely dismiss the theoretical possibility of them existing somehow, but in practice you believe they don't exist.

But anyway, the graph that Neece linked is a decent one. Your position seems to be in line with what vast majority of atheists actually believe. That is, they can't prove there is no god so they don't claim to know it for 100.00% sure without any possibility, but they don't believe it exists. You being agnostic doesn't describe what you believe, it just describes what you know.

jstripes

Banned
Almost every single atheist doesn't actually deny the theoretical possibility of some kind of supernatural god existing. The possibility is just so insignificant that there's no reason to separate the "I believe there is no god" and "I believe there is no god". Again, the same goes for magical unicorns. You can't really completely dismiss the theoretical possibility of them existing somehow, but in practice you believe they don't exist.

But anyway, the graph that Neece linked is a decent one. Your position seems to be in line with what vast majority of atheists actually believe. That is, they can't prove there is no god so they don't claim to know it for 100.00% sure without any possibility, but they don't believe it exists. You being agnostic doesn't describe what you believe, it just describes what you know.

The problem is still that atheism is a catch-all term that groups people like me in with internet neckbeards, and people like my dad, who staunchly deny the existence of god. Even if they are a small minority, they're the loudest of the group.

And adult jocks never try to force their kids into the same sports they like?

Oh, they do too. So do music snobs, hippies, vegetarians, etc.

mcarlie

Banned
Isn't basically the whole world getting less and less religious except for muslim countries (where I bet there are more and more people who reject religion but can't say it publicly) ?

The size of all major religions are growing steadily and are expected to increase in growth rate. Certain western countries are becoming more secular.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does the not-a-stamp-collector tell everyone he's not a stamp collector at every given opportunity?
No, most not-a-stamp-collectors do not tell others about their lack of a hobby. But 1/100 not-a-stamp-collectors do brag about it, and because they are the only visible ones, they come to incorrectly typify not-a-stamp-collectors to others.

I'm sure the vast majority of atheists never talk about their atheism. The whole "fedora" or "Reddit atheists" coming to typify atheists is a false impression. Vocal atheists are a tiny minority of people who don't subscribe to religion.

Not that talking about atheism is bad, either. But most atheists are invisible.

I wonder what a poll like this would look like in Europe.
The sooner humanity moves past organized religion the better.

There are plenty of intelligent people who have argued that expecting humanity to "grow out" of religion is a flawed premise.

It could even be considered unscientific. Is there any indication humans are tending away from religion? Is there any feasible way we could get rid of relgion? Would such a thing even be ethical?

I respect the atheist position. I just don't accept the theory we'll be rid of religion any time soon. Doesn't seem to sync up with reality.

Lister

Banned
Atheism is the default position to have. You need evidence to posit a god, much less the yahweh character of the bible.

No, most not-a-stamp-collectors do not tell others about their lack of a hobby. But 1/100 not-a-stamp-collectors do brag about it, and because they are the only visible ones, they come to incorrectly typify not-a-stamp-collectors to others.

I'm sure the vast majority of atheists never talk about their atheism. The whole "fedora" or "Reddit atheists" coming to typify atheists is a false impression. Vocal atheists are a tiny minority of people who don't subscribe to religion.

Not that talking about atheism is bad, either. But most atheists are invisible.
Exactly. And I think "vocal atheists" are far more likely to American than Canadian because (I assume) they feel the need to backlash against a dominant religious culture. Canadian atheists typically don't have that persecuted feeling.

Savitar

Religion can be a source for good but so many men and women twist it to fit their needs, their view points, their greed, their lust, their bid for power. In the end they always rewrite what they believe to better fit their point of view. Twist it around into a grosser perversion. And later when it's not enough they twist it to pervert it even more to feed an extreme when the former is not extreme enough any longer. Is not conservative enough to suit the needs of that day.

I'm an agnostic atheist myself. I don't fault those who believe, it can give them peace. It's when they use it against other people I dislike religion.

There are plenty of intelligent people who have argued that expecting humanity to "grow out" of religion is a flawed premise.

It could even be considered unscientific. Is there any indication humans are tending away from religion? Is there any feasible way we could get rid of relgion? Would such a thing even be ethical?

I respect the atheist position. I just don't accept the theory we'll be rid of religion any time soon. Doesn't seem to sync up with reality.

Oh I don't believe that either. Just wishful thinking on my part.

farmerboy

Religion can be a source for good but so many men and women twist it to fit their needs, their view points, their greed, their lust, their bid for power. In the end they always rewrite what they believe to better fit their point of view. Twist it around into a grosser perversion. And later when it's not enough they twist it to pervert it even more to feed an extreme when the former is not extreme enough any longer. Is not conservative enough to suit the needs of that day.

I'm an agnostic atheist myself. I don't fault those who believe, it can give them peace. It's when they use it against other people I dislike religion.

Thankyou for this. An entirely reasonable arguement that sees it for what it is. As a man of faith, I have found this thread and its disdain for religion bothersome, which I don't entirely blame, as the organised religions and their hierachy aren't exactly doing a great job lately.

All I'll say though is this. Your beliefs and spirituality are only ever truly owned by you. For you only. Science and its gifts are owned by the few. And they too have twisted it and monetized it for their own gain to the detriment of us all. Weapons of war, the destruction of the planet through climate change, consumerist culture; all and more brought about directly and indirectly by science.

So before you look down your noses at us religious folk, consider what harm your science does as well, and how it too has been twisted for profit and gain.

Top Bottom