• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
/incoming neurotic post

so im doing some additions/rearranging tomorrow (pics forthcoming!) and i was thinking: it's kind've odd that the bookshelves i use for books, i place them in order of oldest to newest, left to right, just like how you'd read over here; with games though, it's the opposite - newest stuff starts on the right and works backwards to the left. that's weird, right? how do ya'll do it?

i'm bout to rearrange this bitch for some symmetry! the funny part is when 2 friends (Mzo is one haha) come by i get the impression that my random ordering is off-putting, since most seem to do alphabetical...fuck that! it goes mostly by genre or sometimes creator, and even then gets readjusted every so often to fit my current tastes. like, i just played a little bit of Skies of Arcadia the other week, so BAM, now it's in front of nearly every other DC or GC RPG (Shenmue of course leads the pack because, you know, FREE is its own genre, natch).

this is some seinfeld/curb level minutia shit right here

I want pictures!

Have been away from the retro scene for a while to try not to spend so much money, but I am starting a new job next month so definitely increasing my spending on old games and consoles now :) Guess I need to start check out the upscaler-thread seriously as well for some awesome image quality!

Celine

Posted in this another thread but was pretty please with these pickups so I'll post them here too. I found these at HardOff. The Wonderswan and game were 105 yen each and the Dreamcast was 4980. The box is beat up but everything inside is wrapped/looks like new. Games are sealed.

Wonderswan and One Piece
LE Dreamcast (everything inside looks new)
Can't go wrong with that price but if I might suggest a WSC (or even better a SW) and One Piece Swan Colosseum is a better pair (quality wise).

Can't go wrong with that price but if I might suggest a WSC (or even better a SW) and One Piece Swan Colosseum is a better pair (quality wise).

I only got the One Piece game to test it out. If I find any cheap WSC I will definitely be picking it up and I'm always looking out for new retro stuff. How are the Gundam games for WS? I think I saw one last time I was there. I don't know Japanese but I do plan on learning. I'm saving up for a language school (so its okay if its not an import friendly kind of game).

Peagles

Woo retro gaf unite! How have I never seen this thread before.

Wait I bet I have already posted here and don't remember...

IrishNinja

cross-posting from show us your gaming setup thread: just got another shelf & stuff organized with a buddy's help last night, my own classic game room is coming together nicely!

pOvcXfa.jpg

YVbKhgt.jpg

71oDQk1.jpg

0WaZZCE.jpg

vaWvk6C.jpg

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ehhh you damn kids and your good looking organized stuff i still need to buy another shelf for my stuff i got shit everywhere

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
cross-posting from show us your gaming setup thread: just got another shelf & stuff organized with a buddy's help last night, my own classic game room is coming together nicely!

Yo, Irish. Where do you live? We need to hang out sometime.

Oh, and good to see you're playing your Saturn in 4:3 mode. Didn't you stretch old systems out before?

Either way, that's a killer collection, and I bow to your superiority.

IrishNinja

thanks guys!

Yo, Irish. Where do you live? We need to hang out sometime.

Oh, and good to see you're playing your Saturn in 4:3 mode. Didn't you stretch old systems out before?

Either way, that's a killer collection, and I bow to your superiority.

Miami FL, hence the jabs on the weather lately, hahaha
and yeah...i spent some time with it and the extra mileage out of stretching a bit doesn't really do much for me with the close distance i tend to sit at, so i did come around, heh. and thanks man, it's missing some of the baller saturn/sega-cd games (hopefully this year!) and of course supergun/MVS (likely next) but it's really taking shape!

*edit: i really should use a better camera so you can actually see what titles are there, think i'll do that next time

IrishNinja

Chacras if you come through & have some beers over some saturn shit, i'd be tempted to let you have it man - i love the crap out of it but my dumb dog did eat the cord as a puppy (before i discovered bitter apple spray), i should really sort out trying to reattach it one day. right now it's just holdin it down for the clan in the front (let ya feet stomp).

IrishNinja

^damn, props there; i wish i'dve taken a pic of me waiting to play Sega Channel in the day...this was as close as i had

RtUNzyH.jpg

baphomet

Motherfucking wu-tang controller.

Edit: somehow i missed it being already noticed above. That thing looks awesome though. Setup looks good as well.

No one ever even know i have a game collection just seeing the room its in. Theyd see some systems and that pvm, but nothing else. Everything is under the bed, in drawers, or in giant tubs in the closet.

Has anyone here experienced disc rot? I'm getting a little paranoid about my 32-bit era game collection. I've never experienced it myself so I've sort of rolled my eyes at the subject in the past. Is it a real thing?

Any suggestions for storage bins that miggghttt be on Amazon that would be good to keep consoles and accessories in? Like maybe smaller stackable bins that would hold the system and the controllers. I think something like 2 x 1.5 ft and as deep as a DVD case would work.

I'm tired of having mountains of cardboard boxes or displaying things while they collect dust.

woodypop

Cross-posting in multiple retro threads...

Went to the NWCGE Swap Meet in Portland this weekend. Didn't find anything on my want list, but picked up a few unexpected items.

PS2 stuff!
Found a slim PS2 with carry case and memory card for $10. It's the first model with power brick, but for that price I ain't complaining. (The only other PS2s I have are old fatties.) Got a $3 copy of SFEX3 to try out the slim in the hotel room. I was missing the soundtrack disc in my SH3, so I was happy to get this one for $5.

SEGA Genesis stuff!
$10 for a 6-button stick. Now I've got a pair, for even SF2 matches! Added Alisia Dragoon and Dick Tracy to the collection. And found the elusive pink Konami Justifier, $5 for the blue/pink pair. Looks like someone took exception to the pink and tried to rub it all off. lol

More SEGA stuff!
Fatal Fury Special and Ninja Gaiden for GameGear, but it's gonna be hard to play them, as the system's packed away somewhere in the garage. I hear Sega Rally 2 isn't all that hot, but I figure it's worth $3 to add to the DC collection. I already have Virtua Cop 2, but the disc is a Not For Resale one, which irks me to no end. So I bought another regular one. =)

Turbografx-16 stuff!
Don't know much about either Sinistron or Valis II, but looking forward to another shmup and some anime cut scenes. Surprised to see a decent selection of TG-16/PC Engine stuff at the show, as it seems they make fewer appearances than Nintendo/SEGA stuff.

Manuals!
Waded through stacks of manuals and found a few to match my cart-only copies of Illusion of Gaia, World Heroes 2, Super Bomberman 2, Fatal Fury Special, and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Nintendo Power!
I really don't need more magazines cluttering up the house, but these two issues have features on Illusion of Gaia, FFIII/VI, Super Mario RPG, SFA2, and Super Punch-Out!!

All-in-all it was a fruitful event. Met some cool peeps, got a few good deals, and spent less than I expected to. Can't wait to do it again. =)

IrishNinja

woddman, you done good!

Found a slim PS2 with carry case and memory card for $10. It's the first model with power brick, but for that price I ain't complaining.

stupid-good price, im trying to find a PS2 for a buddy for well more than that..im still impressed everytime i see the size of that revision too, like how does this work, where did the bits go

$10 for a 6-button stick. Now I've got a pair, for even SF2 matches! Added Alisia Dragoon and Dick Tracy to the collection. And found the elusive pink Konami Justifier, $5 for the blue/pink pair. Looks like someone took exception to the pink and tried to rub it all off. lol

nice! personally i think both titles hold up well, and i too adore that stick, i have 2 as well, heh. and i think you're totally right about the pink justifier, that's so sad haha but at least it has a good home now.
i don't have stunners or any of those but i always keep an eye out for when i have space for a CRT again, love guns like that.

so jelly you guys out there do meets like this, i've made a few local friends interested in this kinda thing (one guy & his group talking about opening a retro swap shop!), really trying to help establish a scene out here for that kinda thing.

woodypop

stupid-good price, im trying to find a PS2 for a buddy for well more than that..im still impressed everytime i see the size of that revision too, like how does this work, where did the bits go
I know, right?! It's mind-boggling that such a compact little thing can play the PS1 library, the PS2 library, and DVDs--amaze!

so jelly you guys out there do meets like this, i've made a few local friends interested in this kinda thing (one guy & his group talking about opening a retro swap shop!), really trying to help establish a scene out here for that kinda thing.
Next up for me is the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo in April. Never been to that one before, so excited for it!

Rich!

Moving back to my parents for a good few months whilst I sort things out before moving into my next place, and I'm working out how to fit 9 consoles, a PC, a 42" LCD and a 29" CRT (along with cabinets for clothing, storage, seating and a bed) into a 2.5x3.4m bedroom.

oh the joys of being a reto fanatic. I'll post photos of the set up next week when it's done - it's gonna be amazing/terrible

blurrygil

Fantastic layout. Need to clean-up and post updated pics of my own collection.

Hit the 500 mark on US NES!!

Broke 300 on US Genesis!!

SNES will be Hard Mode...

Broke 400 on 360 games, if that even counts now? :)

Cross post from the MSX thread: there is a brand new retro computer in the making.

The Brazilian company Tecnobytes, who have previously released several MSX peripherals, is currently working on a brand new MSX computer!

Not a lot of info as of yet, except for this:

What we can say is that this new machine will have onboard, among other things, the OPL4 and V9990 (in imposer with V9958)!

http://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/trading-and-collecting/new-msx-tecnobytes

The OPL4 is a sound chip that was not used in standard MSX computer setups, but that was available in extension cartridges back in the days, in order to produce better sound on your machine. So, much like the Konami SCC. Standard setups came with the PSG sound chip and the optional MSX-Music chip.

The same goes for the V9990 video chip. This video chip was originally intended for use in the MSX3 standard. But since the latter never happened it was only available through extension cartridges, much like the OPL4. Standard setups came with the V9938 or V9958 video chips.

IrishNinja

yeah, having an interest but no real time messing with this scene, this could be pretty awesome! looking forward to the details.

woodypop

Is that your living room, Irish? If so, your significant other must be hellla cool. My partner's pretty accommodating with the bit of encroaching I do into the common areas (LEGO builds, recent gen systems, Rock Band stuff), but I try to keep the obtrusive retro collection relegated to the game room. So hard though!

Where'd you get that lit SEGA sign from?

nice pics woodypop. i've never been to a con like that, but i'm sure i would have a blast.
Woody, what awesome stuff you bought! I'd feel like a kid in a candy store at a con like that! XD
I have to count myself fortunate that the Pacific NW has a fairly active retro scene. Between Seattle's, Portland's, and (now) Vancouver's shows, I've always got something to look forward to, which keeps the interest level high. I just wish you guys had similar access to these types of events.

blurrygil

^goddamn @ those #'s man, post your pics when you can!

Ha, thanks. Definitely need to get to uncluttering and cleaning up before I consider doing so. Arcade machines need a ton of help with so many of them down. Once I get those square, then I can start moving stuff around to make room. But as of now, it's all basically crammed into a massive walk-in closet, sans all the systems on my display shelves throughout the apt.

I'll see if I can slap some quickie pics this weekend of my never ending piles of plastic storage bins and such...lol.

Cross-posting in multiple retro threads...

Went to the NWCGE Swap Meet in Portland this weekend. Didn't find anything on my want list, but picked up a few unexpected items.

Nice finds. I wanted to be there pretty badly. But my mother recently fell extremely ill after recovering from a surgical procedure that should've been somewhat routine. She's better now, but I had to stay in town just in case.

Next up for me is the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo in April. Never been to that one before, so excited for it!

I'll be there. I help with our annual Seattle Show, so yeah. Mini Retro-GAF meetup needs to happen!

Rich!

got a two RGB CRT set up going on

There's a good reason why (calibrating the 29" Sony set via service menu). Got it almost perfect now - had SMW running on both via SNES and Wii, and the images are now identical, which is again identical to the reference image I'm using via the PC

hooray! that's dedication, I guess.

Top Bottom