• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbone name "going to stick"; though isn't the most flattering name

BPoole

Should have just called it xXBOXx to appeal to COD FPS crowd that love to decorate their names with X's _'s and -'s

Beelzebubs

To get "boned" has the connotation of getting fucked in an uncomfortable place...no, not in the back of Volkswagen.

Boner carries the meaning of an erection, or worse it also means "huge mistake".

I applaud the Mallrats reference good sir.

jaypah

*Teen Movie Douche #1 walks into a house party* "Aww yeah, X-Bone in da house".

And that's why I use 180. Because Xbone sounds dumb as fuck.

TheMink

Thats why one person or even small group is never enough to stand up to the collective mind of millions. Within minutes of the reveal of the Xbox One people were calling it the Xbone.

Thats why people have beta tests. Might be a good idea to "beta test" a name they are thinking of.

"Leak" it to the masses and see what they come up with, if they are still calling it what it is thats a victory.

IT Slave

Banned
They need to reclaim it.

The "x" word.

Xbone, please!

That's exactly what it is, a slur. It's not even a consistent abbreviation. No one called the Xbox 360 "Xb360". "Xbone" isn't much of an abbreviation either. I either use "XONE" or "ONE" which is consistent with how I referred to the Xbox 360 (360 or X360).

On here I always see it used in negative context.

News Bot

Banned
Damn fucking right it's going to stick. You can't control what people call your goofy-named console. Pick less shitty names next time.

watership

mind-blown-o.gif

Why did I never know this.

LOL. I love it when people make the Xbox / Direct X + Box connection.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't really understand why it's happened. XBO seems like the best thing to write, and out-loud just saying 'Xbox' isn't going to confuse people, since everyone calls the current system 'the three-sixty'.
XBO may work for you, but it doesn't at all for a french native speaker. Don't know about other countries.

ypo

"At first, I guess the thing that bugged me the most is I didn't see it," said Spencer in an interview with GameSpot. "I'd been looking at the name for Xbox One for months, and I wasn't clever enough to merge them and come up with Xbone."

This says it all really, about the entire product and its campaign.

Ploid 3.0

The name Xbox One was pretty ridiculous as well. It seemed like a joke to me at first. They should have just used 720.

shandy706

I'm surprised they didn't think that was a possibility. Real humans don't say Sony Computer Entertainment's PLAYSTAITON 3 Computer Entertainment System, or the all-in-one Entertainment System from Microsoft, Xbox One. They form the most convenient short hand they can using the full name.

Riff on Xbox One...
XB1
XBO
XOne
XBone
Xbox 1
One
X1
MS1
(not including stuff like 180 that actually get into functionality)

Riff on Wii U:
Wii
Wii U
U
NWU
WU
Wu/woo
W2
Wii 2

Riff on Playstation 4:
Playstation 4
PS4
P4
Play4
PlayS4
PSX4
PS

This isn't rocket science to iterate through. And then from there you try to construct verbs, adjectives, etc and use them in different sentences. Doesn't at all surprise me that the XBone spelling caught on, given the easy pronunciation and jokes.

I have a friend that still says "Gaystation"...dude is like 30.

DBT85

Is it said ex-bone or cross bone? I say the latter because of the connotations of the words.

I always read it as exbone not crossbone. That would never have even occurred to me before I saw others asking the same question.

And for me it was simple a shortening of XB One. It's Xbone. It just sits there and fits. How nobody noticed it I don't know.

Incredible that is mess could all have been avoided when they named the 360. They made a rod for their own back to try and keep the names coming.

it's not the worst name in the world. it's really only used when typing anyways. i don't speak it as "x bone". I still call it the "x box" or "x box one". i will never call it the "one" though. it just doesn't sound right.

BWJinxing

I prefer xbone. it sounds more natural then xbx-one (and im a bit lazy with vowels).

At Least with the 180s, I will be able to own one, but not before a ps4. I'll still forever refer to it as xbone. I think its just context that follows xbone that sets the meaning.

So the next xb will have some christian friendly abbreviation?

Saw the first billboard on the side of the freeway last week. First thing I saw was XBONE. I laughed, because, yeah, it's the first thing you see. And once you see it, you can't un-see it.

At least this is the first bit of reality-based PR from MS.

Shinta

Banned
The real problem is that the real name is almost unusable. "Xbox One." That's the name of the original Xbox, and no one wants to type out the entire thing. It ends up ruining the name of not just their current console, but their first console as well. It has basic continuity problems, because it's the 3rd console.

So instantly, people had to find a different name because the name they were given was fully unacceptable. Xbox Infinity, or anything else would likely have been better.

They did it to themselves here. Having one of the only games shown be Call of Duty with the dog didn't help either.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Xbone GIFs are GO. Quick, get them all out of your system

I just say "Xbox One". Xbone's for making fun of it. Sometimes deserved, but not really fit for announcing news. Too close to "Xbots" and all that.

Raises an interesting point, why do nearly all next-gen systems have stupid names now? The only one that isn't dumb is PlayStation 4: it's clear to consumers and leverages the brand name. The others are either not clearly iterative (3DS, XBox One), nonsensical high-concept verbiage that has nothing to do with gaming (Vita, Ouya), or both (Wii U).

This wasn't a problem in previous generations. Nintendo 64, XBox 360, Game Boy Advance, PlayStation Portable; all great names that gave the system a clear identity and communicated to consumers that they were next-gen. Can anyone explain why console developers can't properly name their systems anymore?

Vaiim

Xbone is probably my favourite console name ever! Shame I don't think much of the console's real name, nor the ideas behind it so far :(

What is the ideal nickname for their console? Even if it required a name change, is there something that would have been better, like the 720? You either need an original number, an easy abbreviation that conveys the whole product, or a unique name. Like Orbis, or PS4, or 360. I don't think the X-one works, it needs the B, so you're left with Xbone.

Yeah, I don't think it's a bad nickname, necessarily. I mean, the word "bone" was definitely cool in the 90's. I think it's just a nick name that will amplify what people think of the system anyway. Which, so far has been a fair amount of negative, so XBone seems like a negative nickname. But if people come to like the XBone, it will be an affectionate nickname.

JoeFenix

As much as I currently dislike the console itself, I still can't bring myself to call it the Xbone. It just sounds so.... dumb.

I'll just call it the X1 but I also don't mind the Xbox 180. Atleast that's fitting.

jjasper

I don't understand how no one at MS saw it coming. XB and XB360 were used all the time did no one think XBone would happen? It was posted all over the place within minutes of the reveal. With how much product and focus testing that goes on for a product like this it blows my mind that not one single person saw that abbreviation before the reveal and realized it was a problem.

Brannon

So basically it's 'technically' correct? Isn't that the... well, you know.

But seriously, they had Xbox Infinity. THEY FUCKING HAD XBOX INFINITY. Fuck, man, so they took 2006 Sony's strategy cock-up, and Nintendo's naming cock-up (we could've had Super Wii!), and merged the two cock-ups into the ultimate cock-up supreme.

That's actually pretty damned impressive.

Zornack

I still can't comprehend how a bunch of executives can sit in a room and come up with the name Xbox One but not realize people will call it the Xbone.

Did they really think people would call it the One?

I can't believe they never saw it. I'm betting a few people did, but those who were excited by the name had power so the people who saw XBONE early just kept their mouths shut.
Like the Emperors new clothes.

UNCMark

Banned
Xbone confirmed.

I have yet to hear anybody say anything about the Xbone IRL.

My dad called me a week or so ago asking me about it. Apparently he saw an ad for it before a movie in the theater and really wanted one for whatever TV aspects they showed. I told him the price of the device and the price of the yearly service he'll need just to access TV on it and he laughed and hung up on me. I thought it was rude.

KiraXD

XB1 was the first obvious thing i saw... after all... you type out PS3 PS4... why would XB1 be so different? plus how do you NOT see that... XBone... with oldschool PSone... see how consoles have been named for the past decade+

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
xbone was just a shortening of an already stupid name. I'm baffled by their offended reaction to the term honestly.

They could have just laughed it off instead of publicly crying about it, which causes more people to use the term.

how you came to this tone and conclusion from that interview is a mystery for the ages.

My dad called me a week or so ago asking me about it. Apparently he saw an ad for it before a movie in the theater and really wanted one for whatever TV aspects they showed. I told him the price of the device and the price of the yearly service he'll need just to access TV on it and he laughed and hung up on me. I thought it was rude.

To be fair, that was the appropriate response.

shandy706

XB1 was the first obvious thing i saw... after all... you type out PS3 PS4... why would XB1 be so different? plus how do you NOT see that... XBone... with oldschool PSone... see how consoles have been named for the past decade+

While that makes some sense. I don't know anyone that regularly typed XB360. I've always seen X360 or just 360.

X1 or Xone seems to make more sense in that case.

Who cares now though....everyone uses whatever they like. I always use X1. It's quicker, and I'll never come across as using it as a shot at the system.

(and only an idiot would confuse it with the Comcast box on a gaming forum)

I don't understand how no one at MS saw it coming. XB and XB360 were used all the time did no one think XBone would happen? It was posted all over the place within minutes of the reveal. With how much product and focus testing that goes on for a product like this it blows my mind that not one single person saw that abbreviation before the reveal and realized it was a problem.

It probably did get brought up in focus testing but management was so behind the whole idea of it being the 'One' that they couldn't bear to change the branding at that point.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
To be fair, Xbone only caught on because everything about the system since announcement has been one spoonful of refried shit after another. If the positions were reversed you can bet we'd be calling it 'The One' and calling the PS4 something marginally derogatory.

Brera

Banned
Xbone is really stupid, IMO.. Incredibly juvenile.

I don't understand this.

Consoles are toys for kids at heart. It's about fun.

People who think calling it the Xbone is juvenile should give up gaming and take up gardening...or curling or something similar.

KoopaTheCasual

So basically it's 'technically' correct? Isn't that the... well, you know.

But seriously, they had Xbox Infinity. THEY FUCKING HAD XBOX INFINITY. Fuck, man, so they took 2006 Sony's strategy cock-up, and Nintendo's naming cock-up (we could've had Super Wii!), and merged the two cock-ups into the ultimate cock-up supreme.

That's actually pretty damned impressive.

Seriously. How they figured people would feel more comfortable calling their system "The One" instead of "The Infinity" is beyond me. "The One" is exceedingly pretentious and honestly makes everyone think of Neo from the Matrix, so it's both confusing and gaudy. On the other hand, "The Infinity" sounds ridiculous, but it fits into the child-like, supercilious, and psedo-futuristic naming conventions of past consoles: The Sega Master System, The Magnavox Odyssey, The Sega Genesis, The Dreamcast, The Super Nintendo. The Xbox Infinity would have been a great addition to those ridiculously fun names. Sigh...

Top Bottom