• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

plainr_

ieWvNy6maDnBU.gif

Lol

Ballmer's face is priceless.

CronoShot

Now it's just a question if they can use E3 to keep up the momentum.

In terms of games, I don't think they have anything until Hyrule Warriors, and then nothing till Smash.

Miles X

Wait a minute, Polygon seriously projected 1.26MM sales for the LIFE of MK8?!

If so, that was dumb.

Did they? Their sums work out if they mean first week (based on the 6m install base figure) surely they realised that the userbase would grow ...

Did they explicitly say LTD? If so that's incredibly dumb.

E-Cat

To put this in perspective:

About 20% of the current userbase bought the game on the first weekend

That's sold to the hardest of the hardcore, though. We'll see how much the game will actually expand the Wii U audience.

Timeaisis

And people doubted the power of Mario Kart.

Let's not forget that MK7 and a 3DS price cut almost single-handedly turned the 3DS into a profitable device.

Will MK8 "save" the Wii U similarly? Only time will tell. But this is good news.

It's a shame there's nothing else to carry the momentum until smash bros. Yeah, we're probably getting a zelda spin off this year, but that's still months out (Mid august in Japan).

It's almost cryingly bad that the follow up to Mario kart to cash in on this huge jump is Pushmo.

man I hope Bayo 2 can get those kind of numbers

Yeah, that's not happening.

Hindl

Goddamn that's awesome! MK8 had a massive showing and hopefully it moves some Wii Us. And that Titanfall thread is hilarious now

Busaiku

The franchise itself has grown tremendously since the Gamecube days.
A point of comparison would be Super Circuit and Mario Kart 7.

Despite 3DS having a much lower numbers, Mario Kart 7 will likely double Super Circuit when it's done selling.
I can definitely see this doing better numbers than Double Dash, despite Wii U selling less than Gamecube.

Gooooooood. That's very very good indeed.

Well deserved, game's a blast, while being a joy to look at. Let's hope they keep up the momentum with future releases.

Wait a minute, Polygon seriously projected 1.26MM sales for the LIFE of MK8?!

If so, that was dumb.

I'm not sure what they were actually projecting. The chart has 1.26MM but doesn't really explain in what timeframe; it looks like lifetime, since they're comparing it to other LTD Mario Kart totals, but in the article they also claim that it might reach 1.99MM by the end of March 2015.

EDIT: I see now. They projected 1.26MM lifetime, but then said that 1.99MM by 2015 if Nintendo's hardware projections were correct.

JJD

Wow, good work Nintendo!

Lol, I just remembered that thread about who was going to sell more, Titanfall or MK8!
It seems that even on the short term MK8 has more than a chance to outsold TF!

Did they? Their sums work out if they mean first week (based on the 6m install base figure) surely they realised that the userbase would grow ...

Did they explicitly say LTD? If so that's incredibly dumb.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't follow that site and I'm just seeing their projections in tie thread for the first time.

I'm not sure what they were actually projecting. The chart has 1.26MM but doesn't really explain in what timeframe; it looks like lifetime, since they're comparing it to other LTD Mario Kart totals, but in the article they also claim that it might reach 1.99MM by the end of March 2015.

Huh. So they basically left themselves a loophole in case they were wrong.

random25

Now it's just a question if they can use E3 to keep up the momentum.

In terms of games, I don't think they have anything until Hyrule Warriors, and then nothing till Smash.

Bayo 2? Sonic Boom? One Piece? Thin lineup I know, but there will be guaranteed new games until Smash. Looking forward to new announcements at E3.

Timeaisis

Here's a Polygon article about the sales.

"Mario Kart 8 tops 1.2M, fastest selling Wii U game"

It's kind of sad/funny that they link to their own poorly reasoned sales forecast article at the end of that, seeing as how, while it may still be the worst selling MK in history, their reasoning behind that article is simply completely false.

Miles X

People should stop saying it's the hardcores who are buying the game, MK seems to be legitimately attracting non-WiiU owners.

yeah I'd wait for the hardware bump to proclaim that, the 8k bump in UK doesn't seem to suggest so.

20% attach rate is very good but it's not out of the norm, plenty of games have done it before.

Berordn

Between the combination of aggressive marketing, the free game promo and a well-timed bundle if it didn't do well that would've been another one for the gloom and doom pile.

Hopefully this momentum continues past E3.

We have our answer.

I wonder if the answer has more to do with a free retail game being given away on top, making the game excellent value despite being the same price.

Don't get me wrong, the game has already become my *go to* mario kart supplanting Wii/7 (except for battle mode...), but it's hard not to imagine giving away a free retail download was a excellent additional bait. It's certainly not a move I can imagine being repeated often.

Top Bottom