• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are 802 Pokemon.

If an Amiibo were to be made for each Pokemon at £12 each it would cost £9,624

Even if they made something like cards that cost £1.50 each that would set you back £1,230

If you were to read out a list of them and it took you one second per Pokemon it would take you over 13 minutes.

If you were playing a game and it took you on average 10 minutes to catch/hatch each one for a living dex it would take you over 130 hours.

Gotta catch em all!

I love new Pokemon and I hope they don't stop, and in fact I was upset about mega evolutions because I feel they took slots that could have been normal evolutions (see gen 4). I wish they were for legendaries and stage 3 evos only.

But when is it too much? If we can't even buy them all in any way what so ever, or even collect them all time wise... When does it end? Pokemon Bank does exist but what about non RPG games? It goes against the slogan if they don't get you to catch em all!

Where do you think this is all heading?! The big 1,000?

Sealtest

And I'm afraid I'll lose my entire pokedex by one corrupt save.

These Pokemon have been with me since Diamond and I'd hate to lose them.
If the switch version is real I hope they make cloud saves so I won't ever fear losing everything.

I don't see them stopping anytime soon. Maybe 1k being the big number before they stop and re-think what should be done.

Zyrox

This isn't even counting alt forms either. I love the large number of Pokémon personally. The more the better. Gen 6 and 7 were kinda disappointing with their low number of new Pokémon. Hope Gn 8 can get to 100+ again.

I actually think the new Pokemon is the only thing that keeps the series going. If they stopped now and made like 4 new games (Not like R/B, 4 new full games) with no new Pokemon, I think we'd see sales drop and keep dropping.

The issue I have is there's too many Pokemon to only have a party of 6 now.

In Sun/Moon alone I wanted at least 12 different Pokemon to be in my party, but there was no point to have them all be around the same level while going through the story.

And difficulty selection would be nice.

Feep

Banned
I view this as the primary issue with modern Pokemon games.

"Collecting them all" was an obsession, the primary driver in Gen's 1 and 2. After that, it became infeasible.

mebizzle

This isn't even counting alt forms either. I love the large number of Pokémon personally. The more the better. Gen 6 and 7 were kinda disappointing with their low number of new Pokémon. Hope Gn 8 can get to 100+ again.

I'm the opposite, Pokemon is my favorite series but I don't want them to keep throwing in huge sets. It results in Pokemon getting a little bit of attention and then thrown away like they're generic anime characters if they're not the select few that always seem to show up regardless of region.

OmegaFax

Really though...

Like doing something like Sun & Moon where you mix things up is one thing, but if you're talking about getting rid of Pokemon or something, then that's an awful idea.

We're just talking about an extinction level event/spin off to the Faller saga introduced in SuMo, right?!

Is there a legit way of being able to catch 'em all into one cartridge? Even if it involves trading from GBA all the way to 3DS games?

Hacking doesn't count.

Is there a legit way of being able to catch 'em all into one cartridge? Even if it involves trading from GBA all the way to 3DS games?

Hacking doesn't count.

Yes. You can just trade online, if not then you can get 99% and for the special ones wait for online events in the future.

BooJoh

I'm impressed that we're nearing 1000 Pokemon and they're all mostly pretty memorable designs. Even the Pokemon that are frequently called out for being "badly designed" have their fans.

Sure, I can't name them all at a glance anymore, but I don't think that needs to be a requirement for the series.

How do you even reboot pokemon.
Usually when people say this they mean "cut most of the Pokemon... that aren't Gen 1 and definitely cut the remakes in Gen 5 and also that fucking ice cream cone".

A nice way to do it would be to semi-Gen 3 it (now that stats are just randomized when transferring from Gen 1 anyway) and redo most of the mechanics to further cut down on prep time for competitive and make competitive more appealing for the mass market in the process buuuuuuut that'll never happen again.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Back when I was but a wee lad there was that kid who claimed to have pictures of a thousand pokemon.

The little bastard was onto something.

cyba89

Rumors are the franchise will end when it hits 999. Current Pokedexes are not capable of storing data for 1000 Pokémon (often regarded as the "Poké1000 problem").

GunBR

I would love a new game with just gen 1 and 2 of Pokemons

Actually, a Pokemon Gold and Silver 2
with Kanto included
would be a dream come true

Quonny

I'm waiting for a fusion system to reduce the 'effective' number of Pokemon out there.

I think it would be a smart way to reduce the numbers while at the same time adding new Pokemon.

Top Bottom