• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lazy Game Reviews - Anyone Else a Big Fan?

Anyone else here watch Lazy Game Reviews?

It's essentially a website where Clint, the man with the Golden Voice, reviews old DOS games and newer stuff that is sent to him by his subscribers. He has a ton of videos at his Youtube site which is linked below. He primarily reviews DOS games, some new releases and a segment called Oddware where he finds old equipment like the Thrustmaster Wizzard Pinball Controller. He has one of the most impressive DOS collections I have ever seen and he keeps adding to it through ebay and gifts sent to him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4A-T1-R_4Q

http://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee <-- His website

Two of his more recent ones are an adventure to cash in a 17-year old coupon found in a Red Baron II box http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd_gE9ryj5k and a review of Thief: The Dark Project http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpDsoD9bVM. He also does some history segments like a history of PC Expansion Packs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS2kFnIa0kU

He also recently started up a Patreon campaign which he describes here:

http://www.patreon.com/LazyGameReviews

Anyone else a big fan?

JeffGrubb

I've been seeing this name around more and more.

Could you quickly explain the appeal? I love great gaming content, but I'm already loaded up on so many podcasts and things to watch (not to mention non-gaming books and show) that I'm hesitant to pick up on something that I won't absolutely love.

kazebyaka

Banned

Could you quickly explain the appeal? I love great gaming content, but I'm already loaded up on so many podcasts and things to watch (not to mention non-gaming books and show) that I'm hesitant to pick up on something that I won't absolutely love.

Guy does reviews of retro pc games, expansion packs and odd hardware. And he also has the best voice and does Duke Nukem impressions every so often.

Well its not a podcast format, its more of a Let's Play/Review structure. A few videos a week around 10 mins each. He will be dropping more now that he has the Patreon money.

A lot of it is a nostalgia play which is great and he really loves old games.

Yeah, I've been following him for years and he's producing absolutely stellar content. I don't care much for his Sims stuff, but other than that he's great.

I only recently discovered him this winter, when YouTube randomly suggested his review of Santa Claus in Trouble, an old freeware game I distinctly recalled playing many years ago. Curious, but not expecting much (because YouTube also likes to suggest trash like PewDiePie to me), I clicked on it.

Next thing I know, I was in the middle of a huge archive binge, and soon thereafter subscribing. I love me some DOS/early-90s Windows games, and I like his style of review, so it was a good match.

Also made this GIF of one of his more recent videos:

howclintplaysdoom_7kcf7.gif

Phhhh

A true lazy game review would be 10 seconds long and just say.

"It stinks."

"It's ok."

"It's great."

and not expand on why.

I only recently discovered him this winter, when YouTube randomly suggested his review of Santa Claus in Trouble, an old freeware game I distinctly recalled playing many years ago. Curious, but not expecting much (because YouTube also likes to suggest trash like PewDiePie to me), I clicked on it.

Next thing I know, I was in the middle of a huge archive binge, and soon thereafter subscribing. I love me some DOS/early-90s Windows games, and I like his style of review, so it was a good match.

Also made this GIF of one of his more recent videos:

howclintplaysdoom_7kcf7.gif

Love it. Where did all those old peripherals go?

Darkroronoa

This guy is really great, i really love his DOS games reviews.
I am really glad that he is becoming more popular, he deserves it.

LiK

A true lazy game review would be 10 seconds long and just say.

"It stinks."

"It's ok."

"It's great."

and not expand on why.

There is irony in his name cuz he does an insane amount of research for his reviews.

I can't tell if you actually read the thread and are making a cute joke, or are one of those posters who reads the thread title and literally nothing else.

Damned Poe's Law.

I'd go with the former. Glad to see there are some people who have seen him on here. Considering how many people love old PC stuff on here I thought there would be a group.

Jawmuncher

Love LGR.
He's always informative and a ton of fun to watch. Also for anyone who likes LGR should check out PushingUpRoses. Similar show but still just as good. Actually think they had a crossover at some point.

Love LGR.
He's always informative and a ton of fun to watch. Also for anyone who likes LGR should check out PushingUpRoses. Similar show but still just as good. Actually think they had a crossover at some point.

Yeah I think they are really good friends. She had some personal trouble recently and he dropped everything and went up there for two weeks.

Mathezar

Recently stumbled upon this YouTube channel, he makes some fantastic videos and does some great narration! I also like his thrift store trips, it's fun to see what he comes across.

This guy deserves more views and subs.

As long as this got bumped, I must amend my "favorite LGR Plays" to now include Solitaire.

"In case you're not familiar with Solitaire, these are cards, or digital representations... of cards. They represent... cards. As such... it's something that you play. So, I hope that explains the game; if not, you should probably consult Wikipedia and/or another YouTube video by someone who is not quite as out of it mentally - in which case, I wish you luck, because the Internet..."

Honestly Lazy Game Reviews and Classic Game Room are my go to channels. Lazy Game Reviews have a voice of the gods, literally I want him to do a audiobook of anything.

Was browsing YouTube and stumbled onto his channel

.......and proceeded to binge on over an hour's worth of reviews!!!!

SUUUUBBBEED!!!!!!

This is fucking fantastic and yes, the man has a GREAT voice yet doesn't quite actually fit his physical appearance, which I found amusing :)

TriAceJP

I enjoy LGR. He is the same age as me so we often hit the same nostalgia bombs and you can tell he is doing it because he truly enjoys it as a hobby.

No screaming or pandering. He's a good dude.

Ballistik

LGR is great to watch. I've been following him for awhile now.. he makes games and stuff I wouldn't otherwise care about sound interesting.

Bricky

One of the few channels on Youtube to give me a smile on my face every time I see a new upload. Everything he makes is quality content. He can take some old game I don't care about at all yet somehow make me really interested in it just because of how passionate he is about his hobby. Dude is funny, intelligent, and honest. He doesn't 'force' his style, it's just very relaxed and natural in a way that makes even his longer LP's fun to watch. He can't be recommended enough.

Really enjoying his Thrifting videos currently, they might be the best example of how he manages to edit something that should be kinda boring into great entertainment.

RP912

Banned
I love his reviews and interesting thrift store journeys. One of my favorite youtube reviewers next to CGR.

Chojin

Clint is awesome. He's grown so much as a reviewer over the years and I enjoy his LGR Thrifts videos. Shit, NC Goodwill's make Atlanta's look like total crap :(

Krejlooc

Banned
Yes! This guy is awesome. His reviews are great, and he's reviewing stuff that typically even the most hardcore nerdy sites don't touch. PC gaming is vast an expansive and most retro gaming sites don't touch it with a ten foot pole.

The guy is also friendly and interacts with people on youtube, twitter, and by email. Very nice guy. We're shipping Clint a pair of razer hydras to try out our half life 2 VR demo now that he has a DK2.

Adnor

Banned
Yes! Easily one of the best youtube reviewers out there, he does some really interesting videos covering stuff most youtubers wouldn't do.

lazygecko

I bought Rune at a bargain bin some time around 2002 or 2003. I had seen some friends play it and it looked interesting. This was the one game that I couldn't get to run on my PC though no matter what I tried, so it's just been gathering dust in my collection ever since. This makes me want to give it another shot.

Top Bottom