• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

LiK said:
Don't be, like some else said, she was Hitler and stabbing her was the kindest think Marcus did. She died almost instantly from being stabbed in the heart. He couldve beaten the shit outta her first.

See, I would've been ok with him beating the shit out of her, just not to death.

Regarding Myrah, maybe she was meant to be like a radicalized Jane Goodall?

w86wj8.jpg

considering there seems to be no female locusts; I'm guesing at some point in time; queen myrah was like the queen in V and laid lotsa eggs? I do wish her story/origins was a bit more developed and that she wasnt a total harridan and nutter as written.

NullPointer said:
Regarding Myrah, maybe she was meant to be like a radicalized Jane Goodall?

w86wj8.jpg
It's looking like that, but there also has to be a deeply personal reason to adopt such a radical position.

It's not just devotion for the Locust Horde, it's pure hatred towards her fellow humans too. There must be something we don't know yet.

ilMikhail

Pachterballs said:
considering there seems to be no female locusts; I'm guesing at some point in time; queen myrah was like the queen in V and laid lotsa eggs? I do wish her story/origins was a bit more developed and that she wasnt a total harridan and nutter as written.

Berserkers are females

ilMikhail

Pachterballs said:
LOL!? didn't know that

The only known method of Locust reproduction is the mating of a Berserker and a Drone by tying the female down and raping her to prevent the blind beast from killing her mate

tru story bro

jackdoe

Grisby said:
I was thinking the other night how much I would have liked if Dom's suicide stuff would have been playable in some fashion. Like, you take control of Dom and have to get to the truck (which in this instance would have been further away). Could have had a inner monologue scene like Marcus had at the beginning, which was a horribly unused effect.
That whole act should have been Dom as the lead actually (or at least half ala Cole in Act 1). That way, you can have the interactive death in real time, Dom down but not out, slowly crawling to the gas tank with a grenade in his hands and the rest of the squad unable to reach him, but still needing to fend for their lives.

jackdoe said:
Dom down but not out, slowly crawling to the gas tank with a grenade in his hands and the rest of the squad unable to reach him
Would've been a carbon copy of his brother Carlos' death. :(

Dreaver

Just finished the game.

After 3 games, it feels pretty damn bad to STILL NOT KNOW WHY SO MANY THINGS HAPPEND. Disappointing...

Apart from that I loved it, I think it was pretty damn good. I loved Gears 2 campaign as well. I think Gears 2 had more 'epic setpieces' (like the Worm, Skorge and the Palace) however overall Gears 3 is better in my opinion. however there are a few things which were VERY disappointing and bother me.

At act 5 I was really feeling 'Everything will FINALLY be explained soon'. However, all we hear are a few lines like "I drove the Locust out because I couldn't find a for the Lambent blabla."
I really had the feeling there was coming one more final chapter after the Queen battle, where the Parasite would be killed or something (like Gravemind in Halo). Where also some very important questions would be answered.

Questions unanswered
- Why did Myrrah look so human?
- How did Adam and Myrrah already knew each other?
- What were those Siren (and what about the facility)?
- What was the reason for the Locust to attack the humans?

(I know they are asked before in the thread, but it bothers me they didn't explain it good in the games.)

Was anyone else disappointed on how they handled the whole "Carmine must die/Save Carmine" reveal in game? Granted I already knew Carmine was going to live thanks to it being spoiled on the internet but I was expecting a bit more than just Carmine gets up and walks away from a helicopter crash. I thought they would have at least dressed it up a bit to give redemption to the Carmine name and have him either die a hero or give people the impression that he died and then have him swoop in last minute and do something heroic.

how many of you think there's going to be a SP epilogue DLC ala Prince of Persia that adds more game but also establishes post Gears3' conflict? (sets up Gears 4).

There are 4 DLC parts. I wonder how much of that is SP. For sure one bit is carmine related and the other when cole was away from Marcus in ACT3/4. A dizzy DLC?

ZekeThePlumber said:
Was anyone else disappointed on how they handled the whole "Carmine must die/Save Carmine" reveal in game? Granted I already knew Carmine was going to live thanks to it being spoiled on the internet but I was expecting a bit more than just Carmine gets up and walks away from a helicopter crash. I thought they would have at least dressed it up a bit to give redemption to the Carmine name and have him either die a hero or give people the impression that he died and then have him swoop in last minute and do something heroic.
I'm sure we'll get more than enough of out fill of Clay Carmine in the DLC

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
ZekeThePlumber said:
I thankfully wasn't spoiled by the internet and I loved how they teased it the entire game. I honestly thought the reveal that he was alive was great.

ZekeThePlumber said:

He was a joke character and treated as such. Not sure what more you could have expected. I personally didn't expect him to have the ending he did have, even knowing the whole "carmine lives" deal. I expected him to just be forgotten after the first couple times he narrowly avoided death through out the campaign (at least two that I can recall). He got a decent ending in my opinion for the type of character he was. When you look at it, the Carmine family are the equivalent of the big breasted stupid bitch that runs up stairs in cliched slasher films.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
mrfolego said:
I thought everyone already knew that clay carmine would live because of the charity event they had?

2coq2o7.jpg

Yeah. But people didn't know the specifics of HOW, which turned out to be pretty awesome.

ilMikhail said:
The only known method of Locust reproduction is the mating of a Berserker and a Drone by tying the female down and raping her to prevent the blind beast from killing her mate

tru story bro
Link me

Dreaver said:
Just finished the game.

After 3 games, it feels pretty damn bad to STILL NOT KNOW WHY SO MANY THINGS HAPPEND. Disappointing...

Apart from that I loved it, I think it was pretty damn good. I loved Gears 2 campaign as well. I think Gears 2 had more 'epic setpieces' (like the Worm, Skorge and the Palace) however overall Gears 3 is better in my opinion. however there are a few things which were VERY disappointing and bother me.

At act 5 I was really feeling 'Everything will FINALLY be explained soon'. However, all we hear are a few lines like "I drove the Locust out because I couldn't find a for the Lambent blabla."
I really had the feeling there was coming one more final chapter after the Queen battle, where the Parasite would be killed or something (like Gravemind in Halo). Where also some very important questions would be answered.

Questions unanswered
- Why did Myrrah look so human?
- How did Adam and Myrrah already knew each other?
- What were those Siren (and what about the facility)?
- What was the reason for the Locust to attack the humans?

(I know they are asked before in the thread, but it bothers me they didn't explain it good in the games.)
They attacked the Humans on E-Day because they were being poisoned by the immulsion which triggered the civil war. Because of this Myrrah decided the only way she could save the locust was by taking over the surface.

J Tourettes said:
And? I thought the story was being discussed in here. Just for me personally, I felt a bit uncomfortable.

And your talking about war crimes in GEARS OF WAR? have you played this game? Do you think that could possibly be something that would have any relevance? When's this gonna happen, the next DLC is going to be Marcus' trial, and you play Phoenix Wright?

Gears Vs. Ace Attorney!

It's a videogame, not the real world. Who gives a shit really.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
KingHenrik30 said:
And your talking about war crimes in GEARS OF WAR? have you played this game? Do you think that could possibly be something that would have any relevance? When's this gonna happen, the next DLC is going to be Marcus' trial, and you play Phoenix Wright?

Gears Vs. Ace Attorney!

It's a videogame, not the real world. Who gives a shit really.
lol his post reminded me of the "drake being a mass murderer" complaint in uncharted, heh.

EloquentM said:
lol his post reminded me of the "drake being a mass murderer" complaint in uncharted, heh.

Exactly, and while we are at it, I really wish somebody would finally arrest those Street Fighters for all of the public brawls they have incited. Where are my tax dollars going?

-PXG- said:
This is what I think. What else could it be.
Good question. Don't know enough about the lore myself and haven't read any of the extended fiction, but if I had to take a wild stab:

* Humans and more human-ish Locust shared the planet surface long before civilization was established. Humans drove some of their brethren into the caves and took the overworld as their own.
* Cave dwelling man went deeper and deeper underground and settled near immulsion reservoirs. Living their lives underground and in proximity to immulsion started to change them into the more beastial forms we now see in the game.
* Every once in a while a Locust would make their way to the surface, giving rise to boogeyman stories told by the peoples of Sera.
* Man discovers immulsion processing and the researchers eventually ran into the locust. Being liberal live-and-let-live types these researchers (including Adam and Myrah) sought to protect the locust and keep them out of the reach of Sera's growing military industrial complex (cue Avatar stuff here).
* Myrah decides to stay with the Locust and ends up caught in their conflict against the Lambent (as well as possibly the Cog). She desperately seeks Adam's help in this plight.
* Adam couldn't do it, and was still working for the Cog and helping mankind to kill one another in more efficient ways so Myrah grew distant. She united the locust and sought to return them to their rightful place on the surface, becoming their queen.
* Try as he might Adam couldn't develop a means to destroy the immulsion without destroying the Locust, and his relationship to Myrah gave him pause.

I'm probably way off, but given no other sources of information it's my best guess. Something along those lines. In terms of Myrah's radicalization, she may have seen or gotten caught up in Man's militant cleansing to secure their immulsion fields.

This still doesn't explain Adam's exact relationship with Myrah, or the locust relationship with immulsion, but I'd imagine the Locust used it as an energy source as did the humans. Its probably something deeper than that though.

Apoc29

Myrrah's human because they needed an antagonist who could speak English in order to tell the story. Man, that would be awesome if a Grinder was the boss of the Locust.

Adam Fenix: Your acts of genocide have torn apart the fabric of our society, and your diplomatic integrity is shoddy at best. What have you got to say for yourself?

Grinder: GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND.

jackdoe

MCXC Pioneer said:
They attacked the Humans on E-Day because they were being poisoned by the immulsion which triggered the civil war. Because of this Myrrah decided the only way she could save the locust was by taking over the surface.
Yep. That part was explicitly explained. They just failed to explain a lot of the details leading up to E-Day (magical Adam Fenix disc saved for DLC).

Draft

The Gears story is really dumb. Most games have dumb stories but the Gears story is exceptionally dumb. The dialog is chunky.

The best lines in Gears are the random things characters yell during fights. Nothing but bits, that's five, motherfucker, etc.

Kimosabae

Banned
I just have to say something regarding people shitting on Jace: he probably sounded boring to you because he wasn't an inane stereotype of blacks like Coletrain is. Being black, Coletrain is one of my most hated videogame characters ever. I was initially pissed when I realized he had an even larger role, but that actually helped him grow on me some. But, it should be easy to see why a character like Coletrain could upset a conscious black male.

I liked Jace a lot because the character seems black in spite of his character. I actually think Epic created the character to balance Coletrain's hyper-charicaturization of the black athlete archetype, which satisfies me.

So, please don't shit on Jace, because I wan't to see more black characters like him and less Coletrain (though I will admit, that Jace's greenness did get slightly obnoxious at times - I assumed it was because he was going to die).

jackdoe

Kimosabae said:
I just have to say something regarding people shitting on Jace: he probably sounded boring to you because he wasn't an inane stereotype of blacks like Coletrain is. Being black, Coletrain is one of my most hated videogame characters ever. I was initially pissed when I realized he had an even larger role, but that actually helped him grow on me some. But, it's should be easy to see why a character like Coletrain could upset a conscious black male.

I liked Jace a lot because the character seems black in spite of his character. I actually think Epic created the character to balance Coletrain's hyper-charicaturization of the black athlete archetype, which satisfies me.

So, please don't shit on Jace, because I wan't to see more black characters like him and less Coletrain (though I will admit, the Jace's greenness did get slightly obnoxious at times - I assumed it was because he was going to die).
I dislike Jace because his character was not developed at all in the game (all of his character development was done in other Gears of War media that most of us don't read). So it is perfectly natural not to like Jace and to think he's boring when taking this into context. It's not because he's not the "stereotypical black male" but because he, like Sam, have had little to no development within the actual game and feel tacked on to someone who hasn't read the Gears books or comics.

Kimosabae

Banned
jackdoe said:
I dislike Jace because his character was not developed at all in the game (all of his character development was done in other Gears of War media that most of us don't read). So it is perfectly natural not to like Jace and to think he's boring when taking this into context. It's not because he's not the "stereotypical black male" but because he, like Sam, have had little to no development within the actual game and feel tacked on to someone who hasn't read the Gears books or comics.

How much did Coletrain's character get developed before Gears 3?

jackdoe

Kimosabae said:
How much did Coletrain's character get developed before Gears 3?
Enough. You knew what he did in the past, you knew what his personality was like (even though it was racist), and you saw him interact with the other leads. This counts for a lot. I know absolutely nothing about Jace except that he's one of the black characters in the game and that he was supposed to be voiced by Drake.

WARP10CK

Banned
GDJustin said:
In addition to this, a full 40% of the game ends up being (literally) pointless.

Let's look for sub fuel in Dom's hometown! (Leave with no fuel).
Let's look for sub fuel in Char! (Leave with no fuel).

Oh, hey, there's sub fuel RIGHT BY the sub! That's handy!

I mean, those two chapters were fine from a gameplay standpoint, but couldn't Epic have had Delta Squad doing something more useful during the middle portion of the game? Seems like poor scenario planning...

Yeah this made no sense at all it started to seem like filler and was pretty pointless.
I don't understand why they couldnt focus on something more interesting.

Kimosabae

Banned
jackdoe said:
Enough. You knew what he did in the past, you knew what his personality was like (even though it was racist), and you saw him interact with the other leads. This counts for a lot. I know absolutely nothing about Jace except that he's one of the black characters in the game and that he was supposed to be voiced by Drake.

Fair enough. But my focus wasn't to dissect why fans may like/dislike these two characters but to highlight what makes Jace a more preferred portrayal of blacks than Coletrain. You're right, in the more general context of being a character in a story, Jace needed work.

jackdoe

WARP10CK said:
Yeah this made no sense at all it started to seem like filler and was pretty pointless.
I don't understand why couldnt focus on something more interesting.
It didn't have to be filler. With some tweaking it could have all made sense. Go to Mercy, get gas. On the way to sub, you need to pass through Char (so you recon, Dizzy gets captured, etc.). Escape from Char with gasoline in tow, and get to the sub minus one lame ass fetch quest.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
jackdoe said:
It didn't have to be filler. With some tweaking it could have all made sense. Go to Mercy, get gas. On the way to sub, you need to pass through Char (so you recon, Dizzy gets captured, etc.). Escape from Char with gasoline in tow, and get to the sub minus one lame ass fetch quest.

Exactly. That's why, in my first post, I described it as poor scenario planning. All those set-pieces and scenarios could have worked, with just a little tweaking. And Dom's death would have actually served a purpose.

It's a glaring hole in an otherwise very nice campaign. All that fuss to get fuel, when the final act of actually getting it takes up one small part of one chapter :/

Top Bottom