• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Yokai

Out of curiosity, what character and vehicle combo are you using?

A few different combos, but basically:

Lemmy with both standard bike, race bike and the Yoshi bike. Yoshi and racing bike seem to have the same stats. I prefer the handling of the standard bike, but... also slim wheels and basically any glider as they all seemed to have the same stats.

Is there a good site for character stats? I just feel like I'm missing something.

Kinsei

Banned
A few different combos, but basically:

Lemmy with both standard bike, race bike and the Yoshi bike. Yoshi and racing bike seem to have the same stats. I prefer the handling of the standard bike, but... also slim wheels and basically any glider as they all seemed to have the same stats.

Is there a good site for character stats? I just feel like I'm missing something.

Lemmy is tied with the babies for the lowest speed stat in the game.

mario-kart-8-character-stats.png

Could we get this image added to the OP?

Chaos17

Sounds like they're not doing it then. Didn't someone say that the staff ghosts are the play testers this time around? That could explain why they're so easy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Nintendo spot passes the real staff ghost later on sometime.

If they're too easy for you try agaisnt the ghosts' players.
The top ranked are just... inhuman, lol!
I don't want to see ever again the time trial of the rainbow road >.>"

If they're too easy for you try agaisnt the ghosts' players.
The top ranked are just... inhuman, lol!
I don't want to see ever again the time trial of the rainbow road >.>"
I've heard :lol

I have no idea why I always sleep on the TTs. All the best players seem to learn their track strategies there and then I wonder why I finish 1st so infrequently :/

Timeaisis

It could be the new hop snaking or lag but MK7 didn't have real snaking and it seemed to happen with the really good players all the time. I'd PM them later asking how they recovered so quick and I always get a "I have no idea what you're talking about" response :/

I smell a grand conspiracy!

Well, I found a video of some guy describing what I'm talking about. Again, could be lag. Or it could be a super secret recovery trick only the pros know of. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mzwnNfTfQ

Hmm, looking at that image I just realized that Nintendo thinks my Mii is fat :{

I guess it was unavoidable since I entered my true height and weight.
Try it. Always good to practice in time trials.
I will if I can break my addiction with the tournament.

Not being portable is going to make that even tougher than with MK7 but I'll have to make some TT time this weekend.

Celegus

I'm sure it's been answered before so I aplogize in advance, but the Mario Kart Wii U console bundle also comes with the code for the free game, correct? Just want to make sure before I bite the bullet.

Kinsei

Banned
It could be the new hop snaking or lag but MK7 didn't have real snaking and it seemed to happen with the really good players all the time. I'd PM them later asking how they recovered so quick and I always get a "I have no idea what you're talking about" response :/

What's hop snaking?

What's hop snaking?
There's a post describing it earlier in the thread but you can extend your boosts by hopping and mini-drifting (at least that's how I think it works since I haven't tried it yet).

I doesn't sound as OP as snaking in MKDS but people who use it will be pretty tough to catch on tracks with straightaways :(

Yokai

I'm sure it's been answered before so I aplogize in advance, but the Mario Kart Wii U console bundle also comes with the code for the free game, correct? Just want to make sure before I bite the bullet.

I believe all Nintendo games come with a club Nintendo code. You register this code and earn coins, but in the case of mk8 you also get a free game.

In other words, yes.

Kinsei

Banned
There's a post describing it earlier in the thread but you can extend your boosts by hopping and mini-drifting (at least that's how I think it works since I haven't tried it yet).

I doesn't sound as OP as snaking in MKDS but people who use it will be pretty tough to catch on tracks with straightaways :(

*sigh* Looks like I'll be forced into friend only lobbies once this catches on.

is this the only game where baby abuse is a thing?
Have you seen any signs that there are laws of any kind in the Mushroom Kingdom?

Rampant animal abuse, vandalism, kidnapping, Yoshi sacrifice, vehicular homicide... the list goes on and on.

All this time it turns out that Peach is really a brutal dictator and we never even noticed that behind that coy smile and girlish giggle lies a monster!

Yokai

*sigh* Looks like I'll be forced into friend only lobbies once this catches on.

I believe it may have already. I was playing public matches and saw a few people hopping and drifting about.

Hopefully it's going to be patched. Also, thanks for the help earlier.

I believe it may have already. I was playing public matches and saw a few people hopping and drifting about.

Hopefully it's going to be patched. Also, thanks for the help earlier.

I've seen it too and I've only played online a couple nights. Pretty disheartening after I gave up on MK DS completely.

ffdgh

For anyone curious, Just download royal raceway's world record ghost.

Have you seen any signs that there are laws of any kind in the Mushroom Kingdom?

Rampant animal abuse, vandalism, kidnapping, Yoshi sacrifice, vehicular homicide... the list goes on and on.

All this time it turns out that Peach is really a brutal dictator and we never even noticed that behind that coy smile and girlish giggle lies a monster!

when you say it like that you make GTA sound like heaven compared to that place

akaoni

Banned
In terms of the hop gimmick, I was 6 seconds behind the world record ghost for the first track in the game by just playing normally on a first attempt. Depends how big an advantage you think it is, but in world record terms it can be the difference in 2-3 seconds if you pushed really hard without it I suppose.

-PXG-

In terms of the hop gimmick, I was 6 seconds behind the world record ghost for the first track in the game by just playing normally on a first attempt. Depends how big an advantage you think it is, but in world record terms it can be the difference in 2-3 seconds if you pushed really hard without it I suppose.

Are you talking about hopping while in mid boost?

ffdgh

Now try it on royal raceway lol.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lol just saw this.

zb3aX2h.png

Can´t really remember dark souls being really hard though. Yes i died a lot but that was not because it was hard it was because i needed to learn the pattern kind of like those castlevania ds games.

What's funny is that 150cc is just practice for online GAF. Much more ruthless than in single player.

Top Bottom