• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 04•13-15•12 - Larry, Curly and Moe killed in action by Katniss, nyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
Saw Lockout today and there were only two other people in the theater. Poor Guy Pearce, bastard can't get a successful leading movie if his life depended on it. It should still make decent money with the low budget though, at least if international markets come through.

Surprised at The Hunger Games' hold. Movie keeps trucking right along.

Decado

Awful per theatre average for The Raid :(

I guess it had no real push behind it besides some online stuff. Surprised WoM didn't help more, though.

Three Stooges was good--saw it with a great audience, mostly families with small children and it brought down the house. Sure it's dumb and pointless, but I think that was the whole point of the Three Stooges in the first place...

Good to hear. Parents want to go see it and I figure I'd tag along. Looks like silly fun which is all i can ask for in this kind of me.

I was hoping Cabin in the Woods would at least beat the Stooges. Oh well. Hopefully it didn't cost that much and has some legs/good word of mouth. It's an awesome movie.

JdFoX187

Banned
It seems like there's a very good chance now that Hunger Games will gross more than any HP movie in the U.S.

HP7.5 was the biggest at $381 million. I could easily see Hunger Games topping that. Don't think it'll hit $400 million unless it limps there.

JdFoX187

Banned
damn, Lockout is only at 33%? Not that unexpected, I guess, but the trailer made it seem like a fun movie.

It's not "Taken in space" like some were predicting. It's still a fun movie and Guy Pearce is great. But it hits every cliche note down to the one-liners and lone-wolf hero. Storyline is all over the place and the special effects in one prolific scene literally look like PSOne era FMVs. Other than that, it's extremely enjoyable, especially if you're a fan of Guy Pearce.

Titanic's international gross this weekend was $88M. If you add the domestic estimate it earned ~$100M worldwide for the weekend.

Titanic 3D set the opening weekend record in China with $58M, and had good drops elsewhere. Life to date gross is past $2 billion.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-shocker-titanic-3d-china-leonardo-dicaprio-kate-winslet-312267

So it looks like Titanic 3D has a shot at $300M Worldwide. Scully should have bet on the worldwide gross of Titanic overtaking the worldwide gross of The Hunger Games in April instead of the domestic gross.

That is what I bet on. Went through this last week with Cheebs. Still waiting for the magic link to comments specifically talking about domestic that I never made lulz.

Cheebo

Banned
That is what I bet on. Went through this last week with Cheebs. Still waiting for the magic link to comments specifically talking about domestic that I never made lulz.

You never stated worldwide. Seeing how this is a thread about domestic weekend boxoffice gross it is fair to assume unless said otherwise it's about domestic intake. Where hunger games is killing it. Will be #2 of the year behind only batman.

You never stated worldwide. Seeing how this is a thread about domestic weekend boxoffice gross it is fair to assume unless said otherwise it's about domestic intake. Where hunger games is killing it. Will be #2 of the year behind only batman.

I've said it a thousand times that I'm only ever talking about domestic when I say domestic. We don't all live in the US. The domestic claims you're thinking I made relate to my bet with Kusaragi where I said The Hobbit would outgross THG domestically. Which I still think it has a good chance of doing, though I am slightly sweating!

The important thing here is that there are now two films in the $2b club. This fucking guy!
fNZoJ.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
I've said it a thousand times that I'm only ever talking about domestic when I say domestic. We don't all live in the US. The domestic claims you're thinking I made relate to my bet with Kusaragi where I said The Hobbit would outgross THG domestically. Which I still think it has a good chance of doing, though I am slightly sweating!

The important thing here is that there are now two films in the $2b club. This fucking guy!
fNZoJ.jpg

Well you may not live in America but the thread is about domestic weekend boxoffice in take. If you didn't say worldwide it is safe to assume its domestic since that is what the majority of discussion in this thread is, in particular the OP itself. You can try weasling out it with a flimsy technicality but Hunger Games showed you up this round. ;)

Cheebs, that the samething I had to explain when Tintin was hitting the US.

Oh yeah. Yamato here said Tintin was going to bomb. So when it became a huge hit overseas, I said he didn't specify domestic - since AGAIN, that is what I'm used to. It isn't coincidence that I made it clear to Kusaragi I was talking about domestic with our bet. There is no weaseling going on here and I don't appreciate that insinuation.

kswiston

To be fair, Titanic was saved by China. I don't think anyone was expecting a re-release to take the opening weekend record from Transformers 3 in that territory. Legs are good worldwide after the first weekend, but without China we would be talking about a $150M+ worldwide gross. Not $300M+

Cheebo

Banned
He needs a overseas boxoffice thread if he thinks if you don't specify it should be assumed worldwide when nobody else posts that way, for everyone else it is domestic discussion and if overseas is brought up it is always specified since its not the primary discussion.

If you go in a NPD thread on gaming side you assume you are discussing American sales unless said otherwide since that is what the topic is. Same here since the topic is for the weekend domestic boxoffice numbers.

You are one of my favorite posters but you DID weasel out sculli. I went and checked and you never clarified you were talking worldwide. Everyone else assumes domestic unless otherwise specified, it's how these threads always operate.

It's silly, who cares. You didn't see how huge Hunger Games was going to be.

artist

Banned
Bingo.

As much as I love Titanic, I'm glad the rerelease didnt too well in NA. +1 respect for NA audiences.

RBH

You fuckers need to watch The Raid: Redemption if you haven't already.

That movie deserves to be doing alot better.

JdFoX187

Banned
You fuckers need to watch The Raid: Redemption if you have the opportunity.

That movie deserves to be doing alot better.

Tell them to bring it to butt fucking nowhere Oklahoma and I'll be there opening night. Not driving all the way to Dallas for it :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Has anyone actually seen American Reunion? Is it as bad as the trailer? Just looks like a retread of the first film.

Such an odd time to release another AP movie.

black_13

Banned
ugh seriously? The Hunger Games was good but really not that good.

Cabin and Lockout got shafted hard. Fuck everyone!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Don't talk shit about Jennifer Lawrence, I'll fucking stab you.

JGS

Banned
ugh seriously? The Hunger Games was good but really not that good.

Cabin and Lockout got shafted hard. Fuck everyone!
Different people are seeing it each thinking the same as you. It still makes money.

It is winding down though and international is not making much of a dent. I'm assuming it has little marketing anywhere but the States and somebody else is distributing so Lionsgate doesn't care.

Alrus

It is winding down though and international is not making much of a dent. I'm assuming it has little marketing anywhere but the States and somebody else is distributing so Lionsgate doesn't care.

There was pretty decent marketing before the movie came out in europe but the book wasn't really well known (most people I talked to never heard of it before they saw the movie). I noticed a lot of people picking up the books now though, so as I said earlier, I expect the second movie to do much better overseas. Kind of like Twilight...

JGS

Banned
There was pretty decent marketing before the movie came out in europe but the book wasn't really well known (most people I talked to never heard of it before they saw the movie). I noticed a lot of people picking up the books now though, so as I said earlier, I expect the second movie to do much better overseas. Kind of like Twilight...
That's kind of what happened in the States. The book & the movie were feeding off each other. As people finish reading the book, they go to the movie and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom