• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moze

Banned
There very rarely seems to be an acknowledgement from people on the left that those on the right actually might have their heart in the right place too but disagree with the methods to achieve it. The right seems to always be portrayed as basically evil, sadistic and finding pleasure in the suffering of others. I don't really understand why, because the idea that they merely disagree​ on methods requires far less logical backflips.

Sure, their heart is in the right place when they force people into homelessness, families begging for food from food banks and disabled people committing suicide. And STILL ask for more welfare cuts.

Much of the right definitely does like to see poor people suffering. This is why channel 5, Jeremy Kyle and tabloid newspapers exist. People love to laugh at those idiot, lazy poor people.

People go a bit far yes, but when you've personally experienced how unfair tory policy can be it tends to make you angry. If you were in the position of feeling threatened every single time the public goes to vote you might understand.

There very rarely seems to be an acknowledgement from people on the left that those on the right actually might have their heart in the right place too but disagree with the methods to achieve it. The right seems to always be portrayed as basically evil, sadistic and finding pleasure in the suffering of others. I don't really understand why, because the idea that they merely disagree​ on methods requires far less logical backflips.

Whilst this is no doubt true for many, the point is often the methods, which are seen to differ so much as that the aim seems different.

I.e. prosperity for all!
How?
Well...

Rodelero

79 Lib
77 Gre
77 Lab
40 UKIP
39 CON
28 BNP

Feels fairly accurate. I'm pleased that the party I intend to vote for came out top. I'm a little surprised by how high Labour is for me, but then, it isn't really their policies that I dislike. Also explains pretty well why I'm so disillusioned with politics right now!

Pfft...wake up and smell the​ coffee.

Are you suggesting the media and tories haven't deliberately lead a campaign against Corbyn?

Because I strongly disagree if you do. They've done a rather clever job of it, and it's almost impressive if incredibly annoying.

They've successfully created the opinion that he couldn't win an election among the electorate, and it'll become true as a result, whether people would prefer his policies or not.

PJV3

Are you suggesting the media and tories haven't deliberately lead a campaign against Corbyn?

Because I strongly disagree if you do. They've done a rather clever job of it, and it's almost impressive if incredibly annoying.

They've successfully created the opinion that he couldn't win an election among the electorate, and it'll become true as a result, whether people would prefer his policies or not.

He was a few degrees off in his Royal bow, and his tie was done up funny. Those early days were fucking mental and Cameron was ridiculous.

Rodelero

I think you'd have to be a little naive not to notice the way the media has dealt with Corbyn since day one. They do it with Tim Farron too. Lots of meaningless ad hominem criticism dotted with a scattering of fake news and massive exaggeration of actual weaknesses. It is something that an opposition Tory leader simply wouldn't have to deal with.

At the same time, Corbyn makes it far too easy for his critics every single time, and, more importantly, the media is what it is. It's unfair that the Daily Mail has as much sway as it does, but there's nothing Labour can do about it. They need to find an appealing leader and run competent PR.

Sure, the Right may want to help the poor, but they advocate the Bootstraps Method of taking away public services and social security and saying "if you fail you didn't try hard enough". That's the problem the Left has with the Right.

One can look at the US Republican Party for example objectively and one can say logically that yeah, they don't care about the welfare of the poor. Stripping away healthcare, for one. So there is legitimacy in calling them, for example evil and sadistic. I'd agree with you on the nice centrist Merkel type right wingers (and I'd even vote for her) but a lot of right wingers believe this Bootstraps theory and trickle down economics.

You're deluded. I don't read the right wing press, I'm a Labour member and I think he's a fucking useless cunt. There's​ no conspiracy. He doesn't get a fair shake because frankly, he doesn't deserve one.

MetalSlug

82% SNP
81% Labour
79% Liberal Democrat
78% Plaid Cymru
75% Green
74% Sinn Fein
37% Democratic Unionist
27% Conservative
27% British National
26% UKIP

Not bad. SNP at the top :)

Maledict

I'm a gay man. What they did to LGBT people *was* evil. Unless you consider killing off of gay people to be an acceptable policy goal, I can completely understand why gay people who went through the 80s and 90s won't ever have anything to do with them.

As a younger guy, I'm not that inclined myself (see my numerous posts on the modern tory stance on LGBT) - but I can completely understand any gay person holding those views. They literally enacted policies that killed our community, and it wasn't by accident.

Maledict

I think you'd have to be a little naive not to notice the way the media has dealt with Corbyn since day one. They do it with Tim Farron too. Lots of meaningless ad hominem criticism dotted with a scattering of fake news and massive exaggeration of actual weaknesses. It is something that an opposition Tory leader simply wouldn't have to deal with.

At the same time, Corbyn makes it far too easy for his critics every single time, and, more importantly, the media is what it is. It's unfair that the Daily Mail has as much sway as it does, but there's nothing Labour can do about it. They need to find an appealing leader and run competent PR.

Were you around in the late 90s when the press made William Hague a national laughing stock over a baseball cap? Or IDS, who was being mocked for being a useless idiot from day 1?

The press pounces on weakness. Labour keeps choosing bad leaders. The tories keep choosing people who at least look competent. If Angela Ledsome had won the prize she wouldn't have the press May is getting.

Chinner

Banned
SNP 87%
86% Labour
86% Green
84% Liberal Democrat
80% Plaid Cymru
70% Sinn Féin
50% Democratic Unionist
41% Conservative
34% UKIP
30% British National

wheey lad

Hazzuh

Were you around in the late 90s when the press made William Hague a national laughing stock over a baseball cap? Or IDS, who was being mocked for being a useless idiot from day 1?

The press pounces on weakness. Labour keeps choosing bad leaders. The tories keep choosing people who at least look competent. If Angela Ledsome had won the prize she wouldn't have the press May is getting.

To be fair...

cringe-hague_2661220k.jpg

*Splinter

73% Lib Dem
72% Green
71% Labour
66% SNP
51% Plaid Cymru
48% Sinn Féin
42% Conservative
33% UKIP
28% Democratic Unionist
19% British National

Hmm, ok. Curious what put Lib Dem/Green over Labour, even if it is only a small difference.

And I agree with UKIP on electoral issues? Did I tick a wrong box somewhere?

Or Gove

cjp

http://calumslist.org

You're deluded. I don't read the right wing press, I'm a Labour member and I think he's a fucking useless cunt. There's​ no conspiracy. He doesn't get a fair shake because frankly, he doesn't deserve one.

You don't have to read the right wing press to hear about the headlines. That's the beauty of it. Most people don't buy the daily mail, but you sure as heck hear about the stupid ass headlines they have regardless.

If it came down to each persons policies, and nothing else, Corbyn would never have the poor public opinion he does. The media, and yes, the tories, made a deliberate and targetted campaign against his person from day 1. It's a lot like Trump against Hilary, actually. not quite as bombasticly stupid as that example, but perhaps even more effective. Roleros thought that Corbyn "makes it far too easy for his critics every single time, and, more importantly, the media is what it is." is right on the money, of course, but it's still much more the deliberate plan of the Tories/media to keep the opposition down because they quite well aware they'd never do it on the policies they have alone.

Fortunately the other two people who quoted me agree and didn't degrade to insults instantly, so as a best of 3, I declare you the deluded one. (And this is meant as very tongue in cheek, just in case it isn't obvious enough.)

I'm a gay man. What they did to LGBT people *was* evil. Unless you consider killing off of gay people to be an acceptable policy goal, I can completely understand why gay people who went through the 80s and 90s won't ever have anything to do with them.

As a younger guy, I'm not that inclined myself (see my numerous posts on the modern tory stance on LGBT) - but I can completely understand any gay person holding those views. They literally enacted policies that killed our community, and it wasn't by accident.

Could you please provide some details behind your statement that Tory governments (presumably Thatcher and Major) implemented a policy of LGBT genocide in the 1980's & 90's? I am genuinely curious.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

fuckk
You don't have to read the right wing press to hear about the headlines. That's the beauty of it. Most people don't buy the daily mail, but you sure as heck hear about the stupid ass headlines they have regardless.

Fortunately the other two people who quoted me agree and didn't degrade to insults instantly, so as a best of 3, I declare you the deluded one.

bravo x

Sure, their heart is in the right place when they force people into homelessness, families begging for food from food banks and disabled people committing suicide. And STILL ask for more welfare cuts.

Much of the right definitely does like to see poor people suffering. This is why channel 5, Jeremy Kyle and tabloid newspapers exist. People love to laugh at those idiot, lazy poor people.

Bring back badger baiting!

Sure, the Right may want to help the poor, but they advocate the Bootstraps Method of taking away public services and social security and saying "if you fail you didn't try hard enough". That's the problem the Left has with the Right.

One can look at the US Republican Party for example objectively and one can say logically that yeah, they don't care about the welfare of the poor. Stripping away healthcare, for one. So there is legitimacy in calling them, for example evil and sadistic. I'd agree with you on the nice centrist Merkel type right wingers (and I'd even vote for her) but a lot of right wingers believe this Bootstraps theory and trickle down economics.

I think you might have let your interest politics get slightly the better of you there. The right on the UK isn't quite like that, and I think most "us" recognise that there's a lot more to life than just your personal P&L and that a welfare system has to exist not just to help people get back into work but also make it so that their actual lives are worth living but giving them that safety net that allows them to take risks they might not do otherwise, such as going back to university, starting a new business etc. I'm proud of our welfare system and what it allows people in this country to do. That doesn't mean I don't want it tweaked and the ways I want it changes are "right wing" ways but they're still with the goal of giving people the best chance they can to succeed.

Obviously people disagree and everyone thinks their way is the right one - that's why they think it. If they thought someone elses was the right way, they'd think that. But I think that most of the right recognise that your Corbyns and your McDonnels and whoever are doing absolutely what they think is best. Even when they're talking about their buddies in the IRA and Hezzbollah, I understand that it's coming from a place where they want to help. I Don't understand why that view's not reciprocated and the discussions happen on what policy works best for what problem, rather than the weird shit above which is basically a scary story that get told to kids who don't eat all their veg.

Beefy

71% Lib Dems
70% Labour
67% SNP
62% Plaid
61% Green
50% Sinn Fein
49% Con
43% Democratic Union
41% UKIP
29% BNP

86% Labour
84% Green
82% Lib Dem
73% SNP
64% Plaid Cymru
57% Sinn Fein
35% UKIP
32% Tories (lol)
32% Democratic Unionist
30% British National

Seems about right

Given the homogeneity of voting preferences it is clear that this thread is not the forum for political debate.

CCS

Banned
81 Lib Dem
78 SNP
77 Labour
74 Green
71 Plaid Cymru
65 Sinn Fein
57 Conservative
50 DUP
41 UKIP
30 BNP

Good to see my choice of party to vote for does actually match up with policies :p

Dougald

I'd call that theory wishful thinking at best. I suspect there is an element of truth, but that truth is that May doesn't want to have to placate backbenchers as much as Cameron ended up having to with the referendum, not that she secretly wants a soft brexit

I'd enjoy it just to watch John Redwood have a stroke, but yeah it's bollocks.

Don't get my hopes up

Uzzy

Jezbollah

Hmm. I'd say that's pretty accurate...

64% Liberal Democrat
63% Conservative
60% Labour
50% Green
44% UKIP
44% SNP
32% Plaid Cymru
30% Sinn Fein
24% Democrat Unionist
22% British National

kmag

I think you might have let your interest politics get slightly the better of you there. The right on the UK isn't quite like that, and I think most "us" recognise that there's a lot more to life than just your personal P&L and that a welfare system has to exist not just to help people get back into work but also make it so that their actual lives are worth living but giving them that safety net that allows them to take risks they might not do otherwise, such as going back to university, starting a new business etc. I'm proud of our welfare system and what it allows people in this country to do. That doesn't mean I don't want it tweaked and the ways I want it changes are "right wing" ways but they're still with the goal of giving people the best chance they can to succeed.

Obviously people disagree and everyone thinks their way is the right one - that's why they think it. If they thought someone elses was the right way, they'd think that. But I think that most of the right recognise that your Corbyns and your McDonnels and whoever are doing absolutely what they think is best. Even when they're talking about their buddies in the IRA and Hezzbollah, I understand that it's coming from a place where they want to help. I Don't understand why that view's not reciprocated and the discussions happen on what policy works best for what problem, rather than the weird shit above which is basically a scary story that get told to kids who don't eat all their veg.

Because the 'tweaks' made by the coalition and the Tories have been all about giving people the best chance they can to succeed.

My wife is a social worker working with mainly families with disabled children, and while in Scotland we're mostly inured to the worst of the Tory 'tweaks', even here the degradation to the system in recent years is fucking frightening.

Nothing about the Tories policies in regards to welfare are about improvement of service, they're all about saving money. That's why they've continually cut the welfare bill (you know without actually cutting the biggest part of it because you know old cunts vote Tory). You can convince yourself it's all about improving the chances of people, it's not. There's nothing about improving the life chances of someone by making late stage terminally ill undertake work assessments, or for immediately deducting housing benefit from someone when their kid dies and they happen to now have a room free. But, hey if it helps you sleep at night.

I'd perhaps agree with you to a degree on say employment benefit, where there's very much a (tiny) carrot and (massive) stick approach. Which is clearly a right wing approach to getting people back to work. I can understand the appeal and some of the logic, but that frankly that's a very small proportion of the welfare bill. The right wing approach to the rest of the welfare system, the health care system, the social care system and the local government system very much seems to be stress it until it breaks and let private enterprise pick up the pieces.

I can understand people voting for right wing parties, although I'd like to think most of them just ignore most of the worst stuff in favour of some of the economic stuff (although the Tory track record there is pretty shitty and has been pre-financial crisis as well).

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

I think also that those who rely on the "evil Tories" line or something like it don't realise that it is counterproductive. Sure, it talks to the base and it's got emotional appeal and fight the good fight and all that, and it doesn't require all that much actual thinking.

But the argument falls to pieces when people meet actual real-life non-evil Tories, so it tends to ghettoise support.

Snowman

The very definitions of left and right wing are that the left believe in supporting each other, looking after those who need help and equality. The right believe in the freedom to succeed over equality, and that we should all look after ourselves.

That's why the right is looked at in the way they are, their ideology seems like it lacks compassion and a sense of empathy compared to the left.

Obviously it gets way overblown, and I'd never call anyone evil for voting conservative, but I can see where the association comes from.

Faddy

Banned
I'm laughing at Theresa May's claim she is a strong leader. The whole reason for this General Election is she cannot lead the majority party in the Commons. Now she has gone into hiding, refusing to appear in public and taking helicopters to secret press events where the journalists can't ask questions.

May has done nothing to earn the trust of the public with multiple lies and u-turns. She doesn't have any policies, her budget was a damp squib.

If this election is all about the Brexit negotiation then why should Brits elect someone who has shown she has no firm principles and refuses to give details of her goals.

Corbyn might not be the most energetic leader but at least you know he has priciples and isn't afraid to stick to them. Theresa will sell Britain down the river if it makes getting any deal easier.

Moze

Banned

Sure, make a joke about people dying. Nice. Nothing I said is made up or an exaggeration. I am sorry it upsets you that your party is doing such a thing but it is 100% happening due to New Labour and Tory policies.

What do you want done about the current welfare system? The issue of the long term unemployment is indeed very complex and hard to tackle. You can't get them into work by giving them the minimum to stay alive, treating them like children at the jobcentre and telling them to get on with it. Lack of education and mental health issues are much more common among the long term unemployed. A more personalised approach to these issues can be helpful in turning the long term unemployed around but it is hard work, and the government often treats these people as dead weight.

Disability benefits and fucking with disabled people is a definite no. It blows my mind how anyone can support disability cuts on any level. The polices in place also demonize the disabled, making it seem like people claiming disability benefits are up to something. Disabled people need far more support than they are getting. They need to feel they are safe. That is not happening under the current government.

Maledict

Could you please provide some details behind your statement that Tory governments (presumably Thatcher and Major) implemented a policy of LGBT genocide in the 1980's & 90's? I am genuinely curious.

Terrence Higgins died in 1982 of AIDS. The government didn't even start work on addressing the crisis until 1985. By that point 200 people had already died of an incurable disease. I want you to imagine what the response would have been to an incurable illness killing so many people who didn't happen to be a disliked minority. Thatcher personally tried to tone down and lessen the campaign that the government eventually undertook because she deemed it "bad taste".

Now, to their credit, several members of the government (Fowler and Whitelaw) fought her on this, and did push through the terrifying gravestone / iceberg campaigns, that whilst hugely socially stigmatising also did have an effect. The UKs response was far better than the USas for example. But whilst people died of a horrible disease the government did nothing because they were people they didn't like.

They also implemented Section 28, a nasty piece of legislation that had a significant impact on anyone gay growing up in the 80s and 90s like myself. I didn't eve realise I was gay until I hit 20 thanks to that shitty piece of legislation, and spent my teenage years hating myself for it.

82% SNP
81% Labour
79% Liberal Democrat
78% Plaid Cymru
75% Green
74% Sinn Fein
37% Democratic Unionist
27% Conservative
27% British National
26% UKIP

Not bad. SNP at the top :)
For nearly the same exact results as this, except Conservative and ukip % was about 10-15 points higher

They also implemented Section 28, a nasty piece of legislation that had a significant impact on anyone gay growing up in the 80s and 90s like myself. I didn't eve realise I was gay until I hit 20 thanks to that shitty piece of legislation, and spent my teenage years hating myself for it.

Worth noting that Cameron voted against its repeal. May abstained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom