• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect creators say technology supports only two players at a time

rpmurphy

Jesus, 4 player simultaneous gameplay support has been the established standard for party games as far back since at least far back as the N64. MS isn't stupid. If they could do it, they would, and then you would see Dance Central, Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventure, and Joy Ride all supporting 4 player modes.

gerg

InaudibleWhispa said:
Just Dance I haven't played, but I've heard is terrible.

Two million people suggest otherwise.

I'm sure 4 people would be happy enough to dance along to Dance Central, which looks to be a much better game.

Dancing along outside of the game is different to having an avatar represent your motions inside the game.

(And yes, this operates on the hypothetical that Just Dance actually works, but you get the point.)

In any case, I'm quite amazed that people are trying to brush this limitation off as some insignificant matter.

Edit: To look at the dance genre as an example, it's clear from how inaccurate Just Dance can be that the appeal of the game lies outside of the fact that it's an accurate dancing game. Given then that the other main feature of the game is its simultaneous multiplayer, it doesn't seem incredible to me that a game where only two people can play at a time is less appealing than one where four people can play at a time.

manueldelalas said:
OK, I'm tired of this shit. Look at the Wii top sellers (the ones the casual crowd care about, because any game that sells well, means it's the casuals buying (even Halo and Gears of War, yeah I know it's difficult to understand this point). Count the ones that can be played with four players simultaneously, count the ones that don't.

THEN post here.
Out of the top 10 best selling Wii games, 9 are multiplayer focused. Of those, four allow 4 player simultaneous play by default. In the top 5, 1 game supports it aside from Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort which together contain 17 mini games, of which 2 support it. So basically, as I've been saying all along, the vast majority of casual Wii multiplayer gaming is done with 2 or less players at a time, or with people taking turns.

gerg said:
Two million people suggest otherwise.
That suggests that dancing games are popular. 49/100 at Metacritic suggests that the game is awful.

Alx

JaggedSac said:
PrimeSense is only providing the depth map, via their hardware, they are not doing any processing on it. MS's software is what is running against the depth map to create the skeletal systems. PrimeSense is only talking about their own skeletal system solution, which they are providing to developers for their own purposes. Their statements have nothing to do with Kinect.

I should have read the complete source earlier, but it looks like you're right :

PrimeSense actually developed a chip that sits right in the camera device, and that's where the camera starts deciphering the image. It looks for any shapes that appear to be a human body (a head, torso, and two legs and arms), and then starts calculating things like how those arms and legs are moving, where they can move (your arms probably can't fold backwards at the elbow, for example), and where they'll be in a few microseconds.

A lot of this processing is done by Microsoft in its own software as well, and things like interfaces and the Kinect API weren't created by PrimeSense either -- those are both handled on Microsoft's end. "The vision of natural interface is something that was cooked up on Microsoft's side," I was told, "but they were waiting for the kind of technology that would enable it." PrimeSense's system does the basic calculations about what the computer sees as human and how it reports that to the Xbox itself.

So the standard Primesense camera embeds a chip that does the processing, but is limited to 2 complete skeleton analysis, while the kinect outputs only the depth map and also the human detections (which is not limited to 2 persons according to the other statement).

It's still probable that there is a limitation on what can be processed on the 360 (like this dancing game that could only manage two players), but it put the OP in another light...

JaggedSac

To get it on the new page:

JaggedSac said:
PrimeSense is only providing the depth map, via their hardware, they are not doing any processing on it. MS's software is what is running against the depth map to create the skeletal systems. PrimeSense is only talking about their own skeletal system solution, which they are providing to developers for their own purposes. Their statements have nothing to do with Kinect.

And to add something:

From PrimeSense.com:

PrimeSensor Reference Design - a consumer-market low-cost three-dimensional depth acquisition device (provided by PrimeSense)
PrimeSensor NITE / Perception Middleware - a set of small-footprint embedded software libraries providing depth, color and audio processing and analysis capabilities, extracting and tracking users, gestures, features – resulting in a clear and deterministic application level API (provided by PrimeSense and Partners)

They are speaking about THEIR middleware solution for tracking people, not Kinect's. So unless you think MS is licensing PrimeSense their Kinect software to be used in other devices, they were not speaking about MS's solution.

gerg

Maleficence said:
That suggests it's successful, not good.

Of course, the majority isn't always right.

However, I'd still argue that Just Dance is a very well-designed piece of software, which is thus reflected in its popularity.

InaudibleWhispa said:
That suggests that dancing games are popular. 49/100 at Metacritic suggests that the game is awful.

See above.

I also wouldn't put the mostly 18-35 year-old men that construct gaming "journalism" in a good position to try and judge the quality of a game like Just Dance.

(Edit: And, of course, for many games a lack of four-player multiplayer may not be important. But the fact that there are games with combined sales of, what, 40+ million units should suggest that it is nevertheless a significant feature.)

Nintendo wanted 4 person multiplayer (local not online) from day 1. This really has worked well in my opinion and has gotten families together playing video games. There does need to be more games that fit this genre and it sells well.

That being said, I still don't think Sony is targeting casuals with their Move controllers. They will hook their devices up with the FPS and Sports titles. Essentially they will be moving motion based gaming into the non casual market. This really isn't a bad idea since I think most of the targeted audience who buys PS3s are not your casual types.

Microsoft paints a very unclear picture. Kinect appears directed right at casual audiences but nothing indicates Microsoft is very good at doing this. Like the PS3, the 360 generally caters to the non casual audience.

linsivvi

You don't need to buy 4 controllers. When we have a gathering of friends we'll just get the Wii owners to bring extra controllers. And when we decide to pop in FIFA and have some 7 players action, we make sure the PS3 owners would bring a couple extra controllers each.

Limiting games to 2 players is just a major failure no matter how much you spin it.

I'm having trouble believing a lot of the negative stuff about Kinect because it seems like one huge oversight by Microsoft. I mean, this is a major thing for microsoft, right? it sounds borderline broken with all these rumors. Unless they're desperate, and I don't see why they would be, why are they putting so much behind this seemingly broken product?

And people are saying this thing is $150, well, that's if you own a 360. Move will have the same problem. I don't know if they'll have a bundle, but it will be more $300 or $350 to get the complete package on the 360, and I believe that is with one of the arcade units. I don't know if they think the install base of Call of Duty and Halo players will adopt this or people will buy the whole kit. Either way, how could this giant company really be selling snake oil like this? that's why I'm at least hoping these rumors are false. It sounds too ridiculous to be true.

Raistlin

Tom Penny said:
Your under estimating MS marketing. Sony blows donkey balls at marketing products. Kinect will be on all sorts of morning shows late night shows etc...bank on it. It will eat up the casual market.

Even disregarding the marketing prowess of the two companies, I certainly think Kinect is easier to market. To some degree, it markets itself since it is 'new'. I'm sure the casual market will eat it up in terms of thinking it's cool. The question is, will they want to pay for it - particularly versus the Wii? I think it will be a hard sell, especially when nearly everyone has work-of-mouth about how fun the Wii can be in the casual market.

Move is too expensive to sell well. If you compare not owning either console and Move to Kinect. It's almost $200 bucks more to get Move for 2 people. It's destined to fail...and if not sell dramatically less than Kinect.

Re-read my post. I specifically said Move is in a WORSE position in terms of targeting casuals that are looking to buy from scratch.

What I said is Move is in a far better position to sell to current owners than Kinect is. So when taken as a whole ... I disagree with your assertion that Kinect will 'outsell Move by a shitload'.

CoG

Linkzg said:
I'm having trouble believing a lot of the negative stuff about Kinect because it seems like one huge oversight by Microsoft. I mean, this is a major thing for microsoft, right? it sounds borderline broken with all these rumors. Unless they're desperate, and I don't see why they would be, why are they putting so much behind this seemingly broken product?

Because marketing probably bought into the concept of it whole-hog three years ago and the technology guys have been working hard to get it to work ever since.

Raistlin

CoG said:
Because marketing probably bought into the concept of it whole-hog three years ago and the technology guys have been working hard to get it to work ever since.

Yeah, probably.

I feel bad for the engineers. I'm sure they went into this expecting dedicated HW, and then at some point management said, "this will cost too much, make it work without it". Engineers response, "...".

Sadly, that feeling is all too familiar to me.

X26

Banned
NYR said:
Just a general comment. Hardcore gamers (e.g. - GAF) are finding so much wrong with Kinect but what they keep failing to realize is they are not the target market for this product, not even close. Of course a traditional gamer is going to find something wrong with something that is not a traditional way of playing games, that is exactly what Kinect is.

Further, gamers seem to talk as if this so called "bad press" even gets to the actual target market - it likely doesn't because they don't care as much as we do. I was chatting to a co-worker about Kinect, and she was hyped, had no clue about the sitting down stuff. Even with that, she still wanted to try it, as she had put in her time with the Wii and was ready for the next thing.

You can list 100 things "wrong" with the Wii - doesn't change the fact it is kicking the ass of the PS3 and 360 in sales. The Wii, just like Kinect, appeals to the morning show and talk show crowd - once they see it on the Today Show or Oprah, they all want to play it - even if they can only play two at a time.

If it ships with all these silly restrictions word of mouth will get around, casual gamers aren't stupid

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
NutJobJim said:
The only difference is that the PSP Go was targeted at us. It was supposed to be a premium version of a handheld primarily aimed at 18-30 year old males. We were supposed to be the ones buying it.

Kinect is not aimed at us at all.
We are clearly NOT the people that MS is trying to target here.
We see laggy hardware and shovelware software, target demographic sees 'finally no overly complicated controller!' and 'aaaawww look at that cute tiger game!'

Kinect is aimed at me. I am not afraid to admit that I've become a complete casual player. The reason why I bought a Wii? Because I got together with a bunch of friends and they had a Wii with Wii Sports. Had a blast drinking and playing 4 player games.. thought to myself.. i'd like to have a Wii for parties. Beyond actual advertisements.. word of mouth and the party thing is how the Wii got so popular.

Alx said:
People keep bringing this co-processor story as it were a magical omnipotent thing, but do you really think that this processor was more powerful than a 360 CPU ? Do you think that whatever tracking algorithms that would have run on it couldn't run on the console itself ?

The truth is at no moment have we seen any demo using this famous "co-processor".
And that's why manufacturers should limit their communication on technical details. Talk about internal components, memory and processors, and over-excited gamers will exaggerate it one way or another.
it doesn't have to beat the 360 in raw power or even be particularly close in power to a general purpose processor if it's designed properly and is just better at crunching Natal data only.

Novelty is going to sell Kinect at the outset. None of the issues brought up in these threads are going to have an impact...at first.

Long term however, I don't know. I think it'll probably do well. It's not for the hardcore let's face it. If that Kinectimals thing, for example, catches on with kids especially young girls, and "all my friends have it", then forget it, Kinect is going to sell by the boatload. Same thing if that dance game or a fitness game catches on with moms and families.

I think Move is going to do okay over the long term but it lacks the controller-free novelty. More accuracy isn't enough to get people too excited. We'll see how Sorcery turns out, that might be cool.

Still, it bothers me that MS got away with faking shit at their conference, and all this deceptive marketing. MS is Teflon Don this gen and it never ceases to amaze me the shit they get away with. Give em credit, they know how to market and play the game.

edit: Besides good games, it's one of the reasons the Wii did so well. It's like a piece of furniture that every family on the block must have. You're not an official family if you don't have a Wii. lol.

X26 said:
If it ships with all these silly restrictions word of mouth will get around, casual gamers aren't stupid

Seriously.

It's getting pretty ridiculous how 'casual' is becoming a synonym for 'utterly retarded, buys any old shit has no fucking clue'.

'Casuals' are looking for different forms of entertainment in their games than the traditional killfests typified by the gaming industry, it doesn't mean they're some form of uncritical subspecies who buy whatever advertising tells them to.

Or did I miss You're In The Movies becoming a huge breakout hit despite its massive technical problems and fundamental lack of fun?

Raistlin

quadriplegicjon said:
Kinect is aimed at me. I am not afraid to admit that I've become a complete casual player. The reason why I bought a Wii? Because I got together with a bunch of friends and they had a Wii with Wii Sports. Had a blast drinking and playing 4 player games.. thought to myself.. i'd like to have a Wii for parties. Beyond actual advertisements.. word of mouth and the party thing is how the Wii got so popular.

2 people a party does not make

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
MrNyarlathotep said:
Seriously.

It's getting pretty ridiculous how 'casual' is becoming a synonym for 'utterly retarded, buys any old shit has no fucking clue'.

'Casuals' are looking for different forms of entertainment in their games than the traditional killfests typified by the gaming industry, it doesn't mean they're some form of uncritical subspecies who buy whatever advertising tells them to.

Or did I miss You're In The Movies becoming a huge breakout hit despite its massive technical problems and fundamental lack of fun?
True, and not only that. Consider the amount of "intelligent" "hardcore" "gamers" that buy all games on launch date and open them a year later, and have this huge friggin' backlog of games; it's like they love to waste money.

Add to that, "gamers" that get the most expensive version of Halo to get a helmet thing, or buy all three consoles + a gamer's PC (== fucking expensive PC) + all the handhelds. All those that purchased the Horse Armor, all of you that are applauding paid online on consoles.

All of those guys sleeping outside a store to not miss a console or game launch.

I can understand some of those things, but calling other people stupid or treating them like retards (even though they have a lot more of common sense) is just wrong.

beast786

Alx said:
I should have read the complete source earlier, but it looks like you're right :

So the standard Primesense camera embeds a chip that does the processing, but is limited to 2 complete skeleton analysis, while the kinect outputs only the depth map and also the human detections (which is not limited to 2 persons according to the other statement).

It's still probable that there is a limitation on what can be processed on the 360 (like this dancing game that could only manage two players), but it put the OP in another light...

I think it for sure has the 2 people limitation. Atleast for launch. For example

This is from the company itself

"Zumba instructor, the stage transforms into a high voltage party atmosphere with special effects and additional crowd dancers. Players can also grow that party at home with up to four players on Wii™ and PlayStation Move, and up to two players on Kinect for Xbox 360. "

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-96337804.html

So 4 for PS3 and WII but only two for 360. Why only two for 360. Especially since other two have 4 players.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Seriously.

yeah, casual gamers may be ill-informed, but they're not fucking stupid. word of mouth will save or kill it.

gcubed

MrNyarlathotep said:
Seriously.

Agreed the whole "you aren't the target market you don't understand" is a damage control statement wii got popular from word of mouth and playing with friends, if you can't play sitting or only two people it's not going to get the word of mouth. Casuals does not equal functionally retarded

Microsoft should probably have left the processor in the unit. It would have been able to take some of the load off of the 360 for processing 4 sets of data points that 4 player modes would require.

The final price better be low enough to justify whatever sacrifices have been made to the final experience. I don't think sitting down is a matter of processing power though, I think that's just an issue with interpreting the data when a body is touching some other object.

Clock is ticking Microsoft.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If true, selling this thing will be a pain in the ass.

"So, we want that camera thing for Xbox. Is there any games the whole family can play?"
"Well, there's these games here, but the camera only supports two people at once."
"...So, any Wiis in stock?"
"Yeah."
"Okay, one of those, three more controllers and let me pay off my Call of Duty pre order."

jgwhiteus

MrNyarlathotep said:
Seriously.

I agree - this attitude about what "casual" players are like and will buy is actually pretty reminiscent of the early days of the Wii. "Let's create tons of crap, poorly developed shovelware games! People like my mom and my sister are SO STUPID they'll buy anything! . . . hey, why aren't we making millions like Nintendo?"

If you disrespect your audience, or more importantly, don't understand your audience, you're in big trouble. In many ways, no one has "the casuals" figured out, even Nintendo. Why did "Just Dance" succeed where others failed? Why "Carnival Games"? But I think focusing on the success of random breakout hits sort of ignores the steady stream of hits that Nintendo has been producing - well thought-out, quality software (easy to get into, difficult to master, can accommodate a range of skill levels) that is supported by marketing, but also by word of mouth. Certainly, if you throw enough marketing dollars at something, people will buy it in the short-term - but there has to be something there if you want to sustain any sort of success.

Banned
How often do you play with 4 players at once? Even on the Wii my family always has 2 players at a time and we take turns.

beast786 said:
I think it for sure has the 2 people limitation. Atleast for launch. For example

This is from the company itself

"Zumba instructor, the stage transforms into a high voltage party atmosphere with special effects and additional crowd dancers. Players can also grow that party at home with up to four players on Wii™ and PlayStation Move, and up to two players on Kinect for Xbox 360. "

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-96337804.html

So 4 for PS3 and WII but only two for 360. Why only two for 360. Especially since other two have 4 players.

Going by this and joyride supporting 2 at max seems to prove its true.

Any other multiplayers games out there? How many does Dance Central support? After reading this Im in disbelief that those two background dancers were actually playing the game on the MS E3 stage.

Raistlin

Dead Man Typing said:
Microsoft should probably have left the processor in the unit. It would have been able to take some of the load off of the 360 for processing 4 sets of data points that 4 player modes would require.

Obviously it was a cost consideration. Assuming this thing is really at $150, it would have probably been $200 or more with the processor.

I'm sure they ran some numbers and decided they'd sell/make more if it was cheaper, even with some gimping.

Alx

Dead Man Typing said:

From the latest interpretation of the Primesense declarations, the processor in the unit was limiting just as much (if not more ?) the number of completely tracked users... maybe you're thinking of a hybrid solution, with 2 players tracked by the camera and 2 in software, but that would be an ugly design, create hellish synchronization problems and would be impossible to upgrade.
I think that in the light of the limitations of the Primesense chip, it was a good decision to drop it. At least there is a potential of software evolution to enhance the performances of the device.

gcubed

If it's a processing power limitation then they could just offer lower fidelity games for four player games, it's not like they are pushing any boundaries with the games they have shown so far

Krakatoa

I would imagine by the time this get's launched these things will be ironed out.

Look how far it's come since it was first announced. Also most of the family or party games that I can think of allow four + players but not together. for example bowling, Archery and monopoly type games.

Anyway, I am going to reserve my judgement untill the final product ships. becuase at the moment it's pure speculation.

NYR said:
I know plenty of couples who play the Wii exclusively as a couple activity and only have 2 wiimotes. I think this would appeal to them.

Don't get me wrong, i think the 2 player limit is bullshit, but I am like 99.99999% of this board: not the target market. I don't think our expectations as "gamers" matters when it comes to casual tech for games. I honestly believe that.

I know I'm really, really late and not caught up, but this is one of the funniest attempts at damage control I've ever read.

Baki

Gribbix said:
Depends. The PS3 has a similar limitation with Move in that it can only support 2 players when using the complete Move set (i.e. no more than 2 sets of Move controller + Navigation controller). However it can support 4 players if the game only uses the Move controller and not the Navigation controller.

That's incorrect, the full MOVE config can support 3 players and 1 DS3. :p

Razor210

With all this bad info, MS can still flex their marketing muscles (Oprah) and have this thing sell like hotcakes on Day One.

Afterwards, if word of mouth spreads around, sales will drop drastically.

ghostmind

Has it been mentioned that, if in a game like bowling, the Kinect will allow multiple people coming in and out of view, as they each take their turn?

Razor210 said:
With all this bad info, MS can still flex their marketing muscles (Oprah) and have this thing sell like hotcakes on Day One.

Afterwards, if word of mouth spreads around, sales will drop drastically.

Yeah, because 'casuals' always go out and buy gaming hardware day one.

The-Warning said:
Novelty is going to sell Kinect at the outset. None of the issues brought up in these threads are going to have an impact...at first.

Long term however, I don't know. I think it'll probably do well. It's not for the hardcore let's face it. If that Kinectimals thing, for example, catches on with kids especially young girls, and "all my friends have it", then forget it, Kinect is going to sell by the boatload. Same thing if that dance game or a fitness game catches on with moms and families.
Pretty much what I think, assuming these problems aren't fixed. Though I doubt Kinectimals will do well longterm either, especially not with Nintendogs+cats. The whole pet simulator just seems a genre best suited to portables (similar to other "social" games like Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter). I don't think the price will really play much of a role longterm beyond how big the initial blow out is.

I fully expect the hype train and Microsoft's epic marketing to cause it to be one of the must have toys this Christmas. The issue is when people realize get it and realize it's not a Wii-killer since you can't sit and play, only 2 can play at the same time, they have to rearrange their living rooms in many cases, it's nigh useless for games outside of a limited number of genres, and where's Mario Kart? My guess is this will be the short-term gimmicky motion control fad many hardcore gamers thought the Wii would be.

bj00rn_ said:
Well, the more you "hardcore gamers" whine and bitch about Kinetic, the more I believe this thing will do pretty good in the market it's targeted for. ..I for one learned my lesson with the Wii.
What is the lesson of the Wii is and how it applies to Kinect?

brain_stew said:
Do you not realise how stupid this sounds? I was one of the few who saw the Wii taking off when many bemoaned its potential for success but I'm rubbishing Kinect (just as Nintendo did) because its a shitty product.

This isn't the Wii.
Ditto.

amtentori said:
think of the major system sellers of the wii:

zelda tp brings the nintendo faithful
4 player tennis on wii sports brought in the casuals
4 player mario kart wii was a bridge title
4 player smash brought in a lot of the gamecube core
wii fit brings in more casual and fitness crou
4 player nsmbwii revived the wii last year

I would say these are the biggest system sellers for wii in terms of bringing in new types of gamers to the console.

4/6 have 4 player coop as one of their main features
Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. The Wii is a system everyone can play (though for various reasons some may choose not to but it's not a hard limitation from the Wii). Particularly with the casuals there is far more than just Wii Sports and jumping around with up to 1 other person in a game.

The problem with Kinect is it's not for everyone or close to it. Once you apply the hard limitations it rapidly whittles down who could play it for a long time to little girls without a 3DS and couples who want to jump around together in casual games with better visuals than the Wii. Also of course technophiles who have to have everything and 360 owners who have $150 to spend on a different style of movie/menu controls. I'm sure you can find other small groups, but a patchwork of blue tidal pools does not a blue ocean make.

Top Bottom