• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

I think it might be too late for them to right the ship. They don't seem to have any intention of making big changes in how they do things or a willingness to revisit the core of the game in earnest.

I think it might be too late for them to right the ship. They don't seem to have any intention of making big changes in how they do things or a willingness to revisit the core of the game in earnest.

I think it might be because the season model prevents that. After the release of an update they have to work on the next. It doesn't give them enough time to go back and at the same time they might have to release the update in some kind of deadline otherwise they have to extend the season like what happened before.

The biggest problem for me is that there is almost no gameplay in exploration which should be really compelling. The search for Earth like worlds should be a major aspect of colonial policy for both the Empire and the Federation.

The biggest problem with exploration in the game though is distance. There just aren't any outposts that make exploring the far side of the galaxy worth it, and planetary exploration is basically pointless except for the random ruins and starship crashes that people only discovered by reverse engineering official trailers.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Whatever they have to replace the season model with after the mystery 2.4 update will be the turning point for the game. If they announce a post 2.4 roadmap that isn't core mechanic improvements, a lot of the hardcore fans who have been patient thus far will leave. The majority want core improvements over bolt on features, so we'll see if Frontier is paying attention or not. Probably by the end of this year, we will know.

Afterall, Star Citizen is coming hard, and it's looking very good recently. Frontier's head start will have dried up if they don't change their ways soon.

Afterall, Star Citizen is coming hard, and it's looking very good recently. Frontier's head start will have dried up if they don't change their ways soon.

Problem is SC gameplay is still poop, and frankly I don't think they know how to make good flight mechanics.

They really need two teams working on the game, one to improve features and others to add more. Just slapping on more window dressing every patch isn't cutting it.

Mengy

Problem is SC gameplay is still poop, and frankly I don't think they know how to make good flight mechanics.

Yeah, I can't stand the flight mechanics of SC, Elite does it so much better. It's like comparing Diablo III's fluid and engaging gameplay to very early PoE gameplay, Blizzard's just felt so much better (PoE is much improved now though).

Volimar

Whatever they have to replace the season model with after the mystery 2.4 update will be the turning point for the game. If they announce a post 2.4 roadmap that isn't core mechanic improvements, a lot of the hardcore fans who have been patient thus far will leave. The majority want core improvements over bolt on features, so we'll see if Frontier is paying attention or not. Probably by the end of this year, we will know.

They're kind of screwed here. Unless 2.4 itself delivers big on content, then they can't just pause story development for core feature reworks or they'll lose the folks that are going bonkers from boredom. I think the best bet is to go ahead with story content and roll out the Core reworks throughout the next season, but as a sign of good faith the first batch of them had better come out with whatever the first update after 2.4 is.

Yeah, I can't stand the flight mechanics of SC, Elite does it so much better. It's like comparing Diablo III's fluid and engaging gameplay to very early PoE gameplay, Blizzard's just felt so much better (PoE is much improved now though).

I think SC is shaping up to be ED on steroids (and with a shit flight model). Lots of complex features, but no depth to the core gameplay. They need to stop wanking over their technical prowess and make sure they know what their actual gameplay is (hint: it's flying spaceships, not realistic cocktail physics in the VIP passenger lounge).

I've begun the path to Prof Palin and nice thrusters. Not sure if I'll survive being Marco Quent's gimp for the next few play sessions.

OT but is POE's Gameplay really engaging now ? Early i found it rough compared to the smoothnness and impact of Diablo 3 gameplay. I'm thirsty for some Hack and slash right now so...

Back to Elite, the dream is dead for me and i don't see them turning things around anytime soon.

Mengy

OT but is POE's Gameplay really engaging now ? Early i found it rough compared to the smoothnness and impact of Diablo 3 gameplay.

It's still not as smooth or satisfying as D3's action is, but PoE has more interesting character building variety IMHO, and does some things better than D3. I still vastly prefer D3 over it but PoE is much better than it used to be, have to give them credit. A lot of people like it better than D3.

JoeMartin

They both have their faults, and as refined a mechanical experience the combat may be in D3, it is ultimately an utterly uninteresting grindfest. The build/item variety and possibility in POE combined with how it all scales into endgame mapping/content (and the economics of it all) is by contrast utterly overwhelming, but very rewarding to work through, and I find the combat itself to be as good if not better. POE is just a much less "on rails" experience.

Nerix

There are no missions that can be shared in a wing, nor are any missions designed for it. It's insanity. Most you can do is wing up and hit a CZ or RES in a wing and make some money. Or go mining together.
Hmm, ok. So basically it's not a game you can play together with friends well? Have hoped that would be the case, as me and at least 2-3 friends intend to get the game at PS4 release.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Hmm, ok. So basically it's not a game you can play together with friends well? Have hoped that would be the case, as me and at least 2-3 friends intend to get the game at PS4 release.

You can still take the same missions and do it together, you just have to be in the same station at the same time and in a wing.

I did a lot a mission with a friend in a wing :
- cargo missions (delivery and trading)
- data delivery
- planet scanning
- killing missions (you all have to hit the target's hull a few times so it count as a kill for all)
- passenger missions

Nerix

You can still take the same missions and do it together, you just have to be in the same station at the same time and in a wing.

I did a lot a mission with a friend in a wing :
- cargo missions (delivery and trading)
- data delivery
- planet scanning
- killing missions (you all have to hit the target's hull a few times so it count as a kill for all)
- passenger missions
Thx, definitely looking forward testing it. btw, gamersyde is great source for HQ videos, keep up the good work :)

Venom.

ELITE DANGEROUS ARRIVES ON PLAYSTATION 4 on 27th JUNE.

From the just sent newsletter:

Dominate the Galaxy on a brand new platform when Elite Dangerous comes to PlayStation 4 this June.

This edition of the game brings you all new features to enjoy, including:

Touch navigation – explore the system map using the touchpad.

Motion-based headlook – maintain total control with motion-based headlook controls.

More control – assign your most-used commands to the touchpad and play your way.

Pre-ordering Elite Dangerous on the PlayStation Store will also give you access to an exclusive gold Sidewinder paint job on release!

Links to two editions.

Core Edition
Includes Core Edition game.
Pre-order exclusive Gold Sidewinder
Price £19.99

Deluxe Edition
Elite Dangerous Core Game
Pre-order exclusive Gold Sidewinder
Elite Dangerous: Horizons Season Pass
Sidewinder Vibrant Paint Pack
Cobra Mk III Military Paint Pack
Viper Mk III Variety Paint Pack
Price £39.99

Volimar

If you guys are looking for another space game to tide you over until something worth logging on happens in Elite, Starpoint Gemini 2 is free on steam right now.

DrBo42

If you guys are looking for another space game to tide you over until something worth logging on happens in Elite, Starpoint Gemini 2 is free on steam right now.
I need a reason to reinstall at this point. They better have something competent in 2.4, whenever that happens.

lefty1117

Gold Member
There is just something about the feel of the ships in ED compared to SC. I don't get why SC doesn't just freaking copy FD's flight model as best they can at this point. Why reinvent the wheel?

But then, I could say the same thing about ED. There are MMO-esque gameplay systems that have been well established by games like EVE that Frontier could adapt in some way to add a lot of playability and depth to the game.

- Player driven economy including galactic markets. Build an economy around the Engineers.
- Membership in local factions with things like faction-wide chat. Local factions can also roll up to one of the three Superpowers and participate in Powerplay.
- More scripted, group-oriented missions, with cut scenes, VO.
- Way more information conveyed on the galaxy map, such as player activity heatmaps

Put gameplay systems like that on top of the fidelity of the Stellar Forge, and the wonderfully balanced flight model, and now we have something that really will meet that 10-year vision that Braben has for the game. Right now, it feels like it's losing steam.

E-flux

I personally got enough of Frontier and their shit, there is so much potential in Elite but Frontier seems to be making bad decisions after bad decisions and then there's t hat mentality of "Nobody plays CQC "or other abandoned mechanics" so we don't need to improve those! Or how they nickel and dime almost as badly as some mobile f2p games. Want to have a ship name printed on your hull? Got to pay for that! How about weapon color? "$$$!

Frontier just frustrates me so fucking much, i love the game they have made but it seems like every decision they make is made so that i would be pissed off.

Also, who the fuck thought that it would be a great idea to not have keelback have multicrew support? Fucking great idea to lock out the best feature of your patch behind a credit/rep grind.

Effect

Picked it up while it was still free but have yet to mess around with it. The Star Trek Discovery trailer got me to reinstall Star Trek Online and so far that's been pretty fun. Been playing that the last several knights split over my original character, a new one, and the new Original Series scenario. The last one starts you out after the Original Series ends with the entire look and sounds. There is even a nice film grain look over the game while you play and it appears to be fully voice acted, not just during mission briefings. Part of the Agents of Yesterday expansion and I completely forgot it was a thing until I created a new character and saw the option for it.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/354066-Elite-Dangerous-2-4-and-beyond

Greetings Commanders,

It’s a very exciting time to be part of the Elite Dangerous galaxy. On June 27 we will welcome even more Commanders to the galaxy with the PlayStation 4 launch. These new players will join the ranks of our already incredibly active, passionate and dedicated community.

Since the launch of Elite Dangerous: The Commanders a number of weeks ago, we’ve received messages from members of the community eagerly awaiting details about the 2.4 update and the future of the game. I’m pleased to be able to share with you a little more detail on what’s to come in the short term and slightly longer term with Elite Dangerous.

The first thing I’d like to share with you is that we will be adding another point update on June 27, this will be for all platforms and will include a number of bug fixes, and stability and networking improvements. This includes the much-requested Anaconda cockpit appearance change and will also introduce greater security for multicrew hosts to be able to disable or limit crew members’ specific activity.

One large element of this point update is a number of “under the hood” fixes which are designed to improve stability and performance, particularly on planet surfaces. This means that we will be looking to run a beta for 2.3.10. However, we do understand that with this being a point update with a number of less visible improvements, it won’t have as many new features to play test. Nonetheless, this testing is very important to make sure the game works as we would expect. Due to the wider and more global nature of this small point update, we will be making the beta open for all and we would welcome your support in joining and spending a few hours playing and helping to ensure the update is as good and stable as it can be.

We’ll have more details on the beta, and exactly how it will work shortly.

2.4 – “????”

Back at EGX in 2015 we showcased the headline features that would be coming to Horizons. However, there’s always been an extra little update, a mystery if you will, that has yet to be revealed.

We’ll be providing a little more information about the update to the community and the press during E3 on June 13th and 14th. We’ll be hosting special community livestreams and activity so stay tuned for more news and updates as we get closer to the date.

I can, however, tell you that this update will be slightly different to previous ones - content will be revealed over time rather than all being available on day one. Additional pieces of exciting content will surface over the coming months as the narrative progresses.

Beyond

So with the Horizon season of expansions coming to a close, what is beyond 2.4 I hear you ask? Well, it certainly isn’t the end of this amazing journey… we’re only just getting started!

Our awesome dev team are dedicated to continuing to build and improve the Elite Dangerous experience with an exciting long term vision in mind. We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements! We’re delighted to be investing a considerable amount of development and effort into making the core gameplay experience even better for our fantastic community or players.

We’ll be sharing more news on that content and our roadmap at a very special event coming later in the year - more details on this event will be released in the weeks after E3.

On behalf of the entire Elite Dangerous team, thank you for your continued support. We are very excited to embark on the next part of the journey together as we continue to make Elite Dangerous an even more fantastic game and experience for our incredible community of players.

Mengy

Zac said:
We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements! We’re delighted to be investing a considerable amount of development and effort into making the core gameplay experience even better for our fantastic community or players.

Well it's about God Damned Time!!!! Now, we wait for details of how they intend to improve the core.

Volimar

Ah you guys beat me to it.

...the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements!

That should make you happy. But if that's their focus next season then 2.4 had better come through big with story content. Interactive alien encounters please!

DrBo42

So 2.4 is the first to have a gradual deployment with no timetable and then core gameplay comes after? Reads like desperate carrot dangling to me.

Volimar

So 2.4 is the first to have a gradual deployment with no timetable and then core gameplay comes after? Reads like desperate carrot dangling to me.

Or acknowledging that their fanbase has the attention span of a gnat. Gotta trickle out that info to keep the hype up. Hope that doesn't mean super long delays on getting to 2.4. I mean aside from the ones we're experiencing already.

Volimar

Mengy, you ham.

tumblr_inline_mf8h7mju6i1ru6epy.gif

Effect

I really wish the ship kits changed the ship's looks in more dramatic ways. Some really don't change the look of the ship that much if at all. Certainly not enough to justify $12. The colors seem to be worth the money but even then only you are really seeing them but at least you see the change. I still keep hoping they'll offer cockpit designs. Something you'd see every time you play.

I really wish the ship kits changed the ship's looks in more dramatic ways. Some really don't change the look of the ship that much if at all. Certainly not enough to justify $12. The colors seem to be worth the money but even then only you are really seeing them but at least you see the change. I still keep hoping they'll offer cockpit designs. Something you'd see every time you play.

I agree and disagree. Some more wild designs would be nice (hopefully we get more Pirate/Reaver-packs, but for other groups), but I appreciate them keeping silhouettes mostly in line with the actual ships. I wouldn't want to confuse a Viper with a Cobra because of a super wide kit it got or something.

But, god yes--cockpit customization is such a no-brainer. It's what we stare at for 99% of the game.

Give us windshield tints, windshields that auto-tint based on how close you are to the sun, mods to add a digital/holographic wireframe to the darkside of a planet instead of that ugly exposure adjustment, different color interior trim, speakers for music, photos of our family, customizable notes, spots on the window from where you breathed on it and drew a picture, different colored/style HOTAS, new chairs.

I STILL long for the day when we can replace some of the heads-up panels with Alien-style CRT monitors. You're crazy if you think space retro-hipsters wouldn't exist in 3300. I'd each that shit up, especially if they had accompanying sound effects.

They should at the very least change the ship holograms in the UI to match.

Beta is up for the 2.3.10 patch.

It's an open beta so everyone can test it out.

Here's the full list of the changes going in to the 2.3.10 beta:

Stability Fixes

• Fixed a Commander Data error that could occur when two players switch to a Fighter at the same time in Multi-Crew
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when in High Intensity Conflict Zones for extended periods of time
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when activating Silent Running in a CQC match
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in the Capital Ship Encounters

General Fixes & Tweaks

• General text fixes
  • Updated some translations
  • Audio: Fixed an issue with inbox message alert audio not playing
  • Audio: Fixed an issue whereby the audio would continue to loop when holding the fire button, after your shield cell bank had run out of ammo
  • Audio: Fixed an issue with the discovery scanner audio - Honks are back!

Camera Suite

• Fixed an issue that caused the 'Frameshift Charging' indicator to become stuck on screen if you cancelled a hyperjump whilst in the camera suite

Holo-Me Creator

• Implemented various changes to improve the appearance of Holo-Me in extreme lighting conditions

Installations/POIs/USSs

• Fixed an issue whereby the Technology 06 codex entry was missing from Ancient Ruins

Missions

• Mission board generation optimisations

Multi-Crew

• Added the ability for Helm to limit the functionality of the Gunner role if desired (for example, preventing the use of utility style modules or deploying/retracting hardpoints)
  • Added the ability for Helm to disable the Fighter Control role if desired
  • Fix to allow the Helm access to turret mode options when they do not have a Gunner in their Multi-Crew session
  • Multicrew activities that have crew slots available are now highlighted with ‘+' symbols

Network

• General network tweaks and fixes

Outfitting

• Fixed an issue whereby the Engine Detailing slot did not appear when using the the Detailing filter tab

Player Journal

• Fixed an issue with NPC names becoming garbled in the Player Journal

Server

Ships

• General Ship Fixes and Improvements

• Anaconda: Fixed some visual issues with the Anaconda's cockpit and made some improvements
  • Imperial Courier: Fixed an issue with the Imperial Courier's Slipstream paint job
  • Python: Python ship kits no longer appear worn when fully repaired

SRV

• The excess cargo screen now disables the confirmation button if your SRV is carrying more cargo than the ship has capacity for

Here's a list of things we'd need your help with testing. Thanks everyone! And have fun out there!

NETWORK AND PHYSICS STRESS TESTING REQUEST
Improvements have been made to networking around sites with lots of builds and interactive objects and physics in the game. Therefore we would like to ask all commanders to help stress test the network at the ancient site on planet 1B in the Synuefe XR-H D11-102 system. To stress test please go to the site and try arriving and departing from the ruins in large numbers, in wings and in multicrew.

Also please pick up and drop items, and throw your SRVs around at the site to test the physics.

Please could you use missiles and mines as well as limpets on each other and objects to make sure they are still functioning as expected.

We have placed a temporary asteroid station ”No Moon" in the system to act as a base of operations for these tests and also host some Community Goals to act as guide to the sort of things we need to test.
CG #1 - Network Gurus Network at Ancient Ruins
Help stress test networking and physics at the ancient site on Planet 1B in the Synuefe XR-H D11-102 system. To prove you were there please pick up and deliver one ancient item to No Moon in Synuefe XR-H D11-102.
CG #2 – Dedicated Testers Go Mining
Help stress test networking and physics (limpets especially) at asteroid sites in the Synuefe XR-H D11-102 system. To prove you have been there please bring back at least 1 unit of any mined metal.​

As well as the answers above we would appreciate it if you could attempt to break the game at these locations to include the following see what happens when in wings, have people dropping out midway then dropping back in etc. Can you shoot knock the objects around? Try using vanity cams during the scenario, try swapping in and out of fighters. In multicrew try swapping roles and using ship systems and galaxy map and hot swapping throughout. Try using Commander Creator during the scenario. We are confident that you will find ways to do this that are not mentioned above, so please try whatever comes into your heads.

As an added incentive for helping us test these important stability changes, anybody who gets involved in the beta-only Community Goals will receive an exclusive in-game decal that will be available at the launch of 2.4. Take a look at the decal design below:

http://i.imgur.com/kU1iANg.jpg

The decal won't be just for your ship, but your Commander's suit, too:

http://i.imgur.com/Iu6AnDK.jpg

All you have to do to receive the decal is take part in the CGs listed in the ‘Network and Physics Stress Testing Request' section of this post.

Anyone have an explanation why base ps4 version is just €25 and commander is €49.95. 25 bucks for some cosmetics seems a bit steep?
The base version only includes the base game. The Commanders Deluxe Edition has the Horizons dlc as well.

I'm waiting for the game on PS4 myself, but it seems like Horizons is more or less essential because it includes planetary landings and Engineers (which allow you to to upgrade your ships further and make them much more powerful).

I think if you're serious about playing the game for some time then the Deluxe Edition will be much more worthwhile.

The base version only includes the base game. The Commanders Deluxe Edition has the Horizons dlc as well.

I'm waiting for the game on PS4 myself, but it seems like Horizons is more or less essential because it includes planetary landings and Engineers (which allow you to to upgrade your ships further and make them much more powerful).

I think if you're serious about playing the game for some time then the Deluxe Edition will be much more worthwhile.

I'm not really sure how long I'd be invested in this. I love playing Skyrim for just messing about and doing some exploration but I remember back in the day I dropped Battlecruiser 3000 pretty fast because of boredom setting in. I love the concept, but I'm not sure if I'd love the actual game. Spending 25 bucks seems like the safer option:)

Top Bottom