• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr00

Banned
What an entirely incorrect and presumptive position to hold. 2D as an artstyle has never been invalid or prohibiting. The only difference these days is that you're not limited to 2D, rather you can choose to be 2D if it fits your game.

B/W is set after Gen I games. I mean, they can retcon that but why?

Well, yeah. It'd have to be substantially new. And do things like Black and White did to make each city feel unique.
I never said 2D is invalid or prohibiting, i said it's progression.

As in it's the natural progression of pokemon, did you honestly think this game was going to stay 2D forever? get real.

Balb

Absolutely not. If I ever wanted to make it (which I do, but it would be a real toughie), fan-made would be the way to go. GF's put themselves in the perfect position to make nothing but cosmetic changes and little tweaks here and there for the Pokemon franchise. Something a bit different? That'll go to someone else, or some fans.

In reality, though, I'm a bit jaded after having worked on a derelict Legends 3 fangame for quite some time, so this idea has been rather attractive as of late.

Oh I agree that it'd be a really cool idea. When I originally saw screenshots for Pokemon Stadium that's what I assumed it'd be like. I was initially disappointed that it was just a console battle simulator but then realized how awesome PS1 and PS2 are, even to this day.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hated the story

Bwah? At least Cyrus was a good coldhearted villain (that you can still maybe have a little sympathy for) as opposed to the two goofballs in the previous gen.

the music was generally awful except for a few tracks

BLASPHEMY

wasn't keen on Sinnoh

Still the best designed and most content-packed region.

the Pokemon were meh

Crazy talk.

I wanted to kill Barry

Why don't you go kill yours- Happy place, happy place...

Rowan looked like an evil scientist

Nonsensical complaint.

the other gender character was annoying no matter who you picked

I barely remember they were there. They were in like the first five minutes of the game.

there were way too many legendary Pokemon and the battles were extremely slow (going from BW to DP was killer).

The only legitimate complaints. The latter being fixed by Platinum and the former unchanged by B/W.

Gen 2 is the worst generation.

Yes. I mean it.

This is absolutely the truth. Dull Pokemon designs, a totally journey-free rival, a half-assed story even by Pokemon standards, and the abomination which was Gen II Kanto. HGSS was better, but even then Platinum totally outclasses them.

Oh I agree that it'd be a really cool idea. When I originally saw screenshots for Pokemon Stadium that's what I assumed it'd be like. I was initially disappointed that it was just a console battle simulator but then realized how awesome PS1 and PS2 are, even to this day.
Speaking of the PS1 era: one game that tried this concept was the original Digimon World, which had a visible encounter mechanic that forced you to fight in an enclosed environment. Now, this wasn't done very well at all—you never had even semi-direct control over your critter, especially in the early-game when your guy needed guidance and Brain power the most, which usually meant drawn-out and annoying battles—but the concept was only ever tried in that game. With a sort of relay-command system, with the trainer-avatar issuing commands to a Pokemon on the field, this battle system could really work.

But I'm pretty reluctant about spilling my magical beans here. So I'll stop.

This is absolutely the truth. Dull Pokemon designs, a totally journey-free rival, a half-assed story even by Pokemon standards, and the abomination which was Gen II Kanto. HGSS was better, but even then Platinum totally outclasses them.
Preeeeeeeeeety much. HG/SS redeems it with extra content and access to the Gen IV second-evos, thus making some of the Pokemon better, but that only goes so far.

Silver, despite his interesting character development, never felt as well-realized on a overarching story scale as Blue, oddly enough. The whole alienation and destruction of Blue's hopes and dreams was done so subtly in the script and timeline of events that I wish Satoshi and the crew would try something like it in Gen VI, or whenever.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Barry is annoying. They should replace him with Andrex.

<3

Magmar was one of my favourite pokemon in red/blue and i say fucj magmorter. He is so fucking ugly. I'm not a fan of the pokemon in the recent gens but magmorter has to be up there on my hate list.

Magmar was always one of the butt ugliest (literally) Pokemon ever anyways. At least Magmortar got Mega Man arm cannons.

Electivire is without a doubt superior to its pre-evolution.

Portugeezer

Despite my love for Pokemon, I have dismissed every single spin-off other than Pokemon Puzzle (which I didn't pick out for myself).

I am really loving the idea of doing a prequel to Red and Blue, where you play as Oak. And you are limited to the first two generations of Pokemon.

I like new Pokemon though, keeps it fresh for me.

Balb

Speaking of the PS1 era: one game that tried this concept was the original Digimon World, which had a visible encounter mechanic that forced you to fight in an enclosed environment. Now, this wasn't done very well at all—you never had even semi-direct control over your critter, especially in the early-game when your guy needed guidance and Brain power the most, which usually meant drawn-out and annoying battles—but the concept was only ever tried in that game. With a sort of relay-command system, with the trainer-avatar issuing commands to a Pokemon on the field, this battle system could really work.

But I'm pretty reluctant about spilling my magical beans here. So I'll stop.

Well by PS1 and PS2 I meant Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 but I agree with your points anyway :p.

Magmar was always one of the butt ugliest (literally) Pokemon ever anyways. At least Magmortar got Mega Man arm cannons.

Electivire is without a doubt superior to its pre-evolution.

Well i didn't think magmar was ugly and i think the cannon was a stupid addition. Electivire is right up with their with magmortar as well.

Gen II brought me heracross, how can i ever hate on that? In fact it was a pretty cool gen for bugs in general i thought.

I really think they should go back to the first generation of pokemon and make a new game out of it, maybe for wiiU or something. I such fond memories of each and every original 151 but couldnt be bothered with the new 600 or so.

Also, please make a new Pokemon Snap :)

I'd rather have Yoot Saito and Ambrella make a game about raising Pokemon, ala Tamagotchi + Chao + Digimon (for the stats, not the designs). Kind of like Hey You Pikachu!, but with a Seaman twist and every evolutionary line in the game.

—My god. I think I know what Masuda plans to reveal next week!

Partition

Banned
I couldn't stand B&W for many reasons.

1. The horrible new Pokemon. This was beyond the worst gen in terms of Pokemon design (Especially for the legendaries...), though it did bring us a few gems.

2. The lack of diversity in Pokemon types. I got so annoyed there were literally no decent Water Pokemon to choose from, besides the starter. For this reason I was basically forced to have an HM slave which I hate doing, but I couldn't bare having one of the available Water Pokemon on my team. If they are going to use all new Pokemon, they need to make sure there is balance like in Gen 1.

3. The difficulty. EXTREMELY easy. I beat every gym with one try. Even the E4 only took me 2 tries. Didn't you even get to heal during one of the battles too?

4. The environment. Extremely boring and lacked diversity (again) which was so amazing in Gen 3. The large 3D city was nice, but felt empty and gimmicky more than a functional environment. The game's scale also felt much smaller compared to previous Gens. Also, again, there was an extreme lack of Water routes/environments.

To me, Gen 3 has yet to be surpassed. Some of my favorite Pokemon come from this Gen, and from beginning to end I feel like it is the most polished and enjoyable Gen. It has diversity, from beaches, towns built on water, volcanic areas, forests, jungles, desert, etc. Hopefully they will remake R/S as well.

Maybe they will fix some of the issues I had with B/W with Grey. Though if it's not for 3DS, I have no interest whatsoever.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well i didn't think magmar was ugly and i think the cannon was a stupid addition. Electivire is right up with their with magmortar as well.

Electabuzz is one of the dumbest Pokemon ever, like seriously! Electivire is just cool city.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Nah I agree that gen 2 is overrated but gen 5 didn't bring much to the table, had a lot of repeat Pokemon, didn't have as many great Pokemon as any of the other gens (in my opinion, anyway) and was just too by-the-numbers (how many times can we do that same ice gym puzzle?). I still like it a lot but maybe I need to play it again and see if I appreciate it more now.
Burnout hit me pretty hard in Black/White and I put the game down for quite a while before finishing it. I'm almost never on the "herp derp the new pkmn all suck" bandwagon but B/W just had far too many retreads for me to tolerate. On top of the same starter types again and the requisite Pidgey/Rattata clones, two fossil lines, and legendary Pokemon, we have the following:

- six Pokedex slots used up for the elemental monkeys
- Geodude and Zubat are finally eradicated from caves only to be replaced by the functionally equivalent Rogenrola and Woobat, right down to the respective trade and happiness evolution.
- Audino is new Chansey-type cleric with high EXP yield.
- Timburr is the new Machop, also complete with trade evolution.
- Dwebble gives off a big Paras vibe, as does...
- Sawk/Throh with Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan
- Litwick with the Ghastly line, complete with memorial tower
- Trubbish with Grimer
- Emolga with Pikachu, Plusle, Minun, and Pachirisu
- Alomomola with Luvdisc
- Bouffalant with Tauros
- and quite a few more if I wanted to stretch things a bit

I'm aware as well as anyone that these games are formulaic, and there are some diamonds in the rough, but B/W hit me with that "I've seen all of this before" feeling a lot harder than any of its predecessors, so much so that I often wondered what the point was with having a faraway region with all new pkmn in the main quest if they're just going to be the same things with a new paint job. 5th gen also brought the least significant changes to the battle system to date, but I don't really view that as a negative since I'm not keen on fixing things that aren't broken.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd still say B/W are currently the best games in the series, if only because I care more about the competitive possibilities than anything else, and like every mainline game before them, B/W add a lot of content and take away very little while polishing a lot of odds and ends. But goddamn does the quest fucking suck.

Suairyu

Banned
GUYS I GOT THIS ONE
I couldn't stand B&W for many reasons.

1. The horrible new Pokemon. This was beyond the worst gen in terms of Pokemon design (Especially for the legendaries...), though it did bring us a few gems.
I'm not too familiar with anything between Johto and Black/White, but looking at them all I honestly find the Black and White 150+ as original and brilliant as the first 150. Some of them are questionable, such as the candles, but then again every gen has it's odd designs.

2. The lack of diversity in Pokemon types. I got so annoyed there were literally no decent Water Pokemon to choose from, besides the starter. For this reason I was basically forced to have an HM slave which I hate doing, but I couldn't bare having one of the available Water Pokemon on my team. If they are going to use all new Pokemon, they need to make sure there is balance like in Gen 1.
Okay, "literally" does not mean what you think it means. But yes, the water selection was a bit lacking. There was a clear grass bias in this game. Oh well.

3. The difficulty. EXTREMELY easy. I beat every gym with one try. Even the E4 only took me 2 tries. Didn't you even get to heal during one of the battles too?
This is true. Except apparently lots of people struggled with Elesa's electric gym and she's the easiest in the game so maybe people need hand-holding? It was far too easy to over-level though, yes, especially with Audinos. After Elesa I got rid of all my Pokémon and re-caught a new team to give myself a challenge and even then it didn't help.

4. The environment. Extremely boring and lacked diversity (again) which was so amazing in Gen 3. The large 3D city was nice, but felt empty and gimmicky more than a functional environment. The game's scale also felt much smaller compared to previous Gens. Also, again, there was an extreme lack of Water routes/environments.
Hell no. Every city (minus a couple towards the end of the game) felt so unique and like they had a real reason for being there apart from just a place where the latest gym is. I was really immersed in the game and its locations. Lack of water routes is a plus because I hate them.

I wonder why
They got tired of all your sass.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
B/W rehash some designs since they're pretty much a series reboot. And they're a strong first step for the series' new direction.

Some of them are questionable, such as the candles, but then again every gen has it's odd designs.

Uh Litwick and co. are the best ghosts Gen 5 introduced, heck along with Drifloon/blim they're the best ghosts in the series.

Partition

Banned
Honestly, I don't think they should be adding 100+ new Pokemon with every gen. Not anymore at least. It's just producing crap like Gear, Candle, Trashbag, and Derpfish. There's enough Pokemon now to have a diverse region with the existing ones. Just have new starters, legendaries, and a few others and call it a day.

Suairyu

Banned
Uh Litwick and co. are the best ghosts Gen 5 introduced, heck along with Drifloon/blim they're the best ghosts in the series.
Hence why I used the term "questionable", not "bad". I still don't think the ice creams are a good idea either but they somehow work.

Trubbish can go fuck himself.

At least the arguments here are different than the usual business of fans getting on a new game in the franchise because it doesn't flow away from the tried-and-true formulaic aspects. 645 made some good comparisons, at least.

—But I've liked the quest a lot so far, and the region is excellent, and the Pokemon are great overall.

bon

Honestly, I don't think they should be adding 100+ new Pokemon with every gen. Not anymore at least. It's just producing crap like Gear, Candle, Trashbag, and Derpfish. There's enough Pokemon now to have a diverse region with the existing ones. Just have new starters, legendaries, and a few others and call it a day.

But part of the fun in a new Pokemon game is seeing all the crazy new designs. I loved how BW had all new Pokemon until post game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
3D311.gif
ALbst.gif
s4ih5.gif
nJXwW.gif
C5irR.gif

SWAG TEAM

That line is a fucking travesty.

Sinnoh ice types were so cool.

Cyogonal is the dumbest Gen 5 ice-type, easily. Cubchoo and Beartic are OK. I don't mind the ice cream Pokemon, it feels like they were inevitable so I'm glad GF got them out of the way. And naturally, Kyurem reigns supreme, not only over Gen 5, but all ice-type Pokemon in the series. <3

How much has Black and White sold combined?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439925

Through March 2011, 11.51 million. They've almost definitely sold much more than that since then, though.

botty

Banned

The goal of Black and White was to reboot the series, with over 150 brand new pokemon so that newcomers and old players could come in on the same ground. Aren't you tired of fighting zubat and geodude in caves all the time? Well, now we have wubat and rocknrolla(sp?) The anime saw a similar reboot. It should also be noted that the pokemon were designed by different people, so you can't honestly expect the same cohesive designs that the first generation had.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
There not being much water routes or types was a huge plus for me since the other games were really oversaturated with them.

Sixfortyfive

Articuno says hello.
I've tried so hard to come up with a reason to use this thing and I just can't do it, even in doubles where he doesn't have to worry about Stealth Rock. One of my favorite Pokemon designs of all time but goddamn is he useless. :(

Wichu

3D311.gif
ALbst.gif
s4ih5.gif
nJXwW.gif
C5irR.gif

SWAG TEAM

Have my seal of approval.

Cyogonal is the dumbest Gen 5 ice-type, easily. Cubchoo and Beartic are OK. I don't mind the ice cream Pokemon, it feels like they were inevitable so I'm glad GF got them out of the way. And naturally, Kyurem reigns supreme, not only over Gen 5, but all ice-type Pokemon in the series. <3

Seal of approval revoked.
200px-091Cloyster.png
170px-220Swinub.png
180px-365Walrein.png
150px-361Snorunt.png
170px-378Regice.png
460Abomasnow.png
250px-473Mamoswine.png

Bwah? At least Cyrus was a good coldhearted villain (that you can still maybe have a little sympathy for) as opposed to the two goofballs in the previous gen.

BLASPHEMY

Still the best designed and most content-packed region.

Crazy talk.

Why don't you go kill yours- Happy place, happy place...

Nonsensical complaint.

I barely remember they were there. They were in like the first five minutes of the game.

The only legitimate complaints. The latter being fixed by Platinum and the former unchanged by B/W.

Ok I admit I may have been a tad too harsh haha, there are some good points to the game, but I still feel it's the weakest of the series, but I have yet to play Platinum, so maybe that will change my mind of the generation if I ever get to play it.

If it helps, I often regard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mv8AxBTlJ0 to be one of my favourite tracks from the entire series, along with the Pokemon themselves...I may have just left that out in my rant lol

Ultimadrago

So bland. Kyurem would bite that chicken on ice like it was kung pow.

I don't know what I'm typing anymore.

The problem with kids (and 21+ year old men) these days.
Some "complex" designs and trashbag Pokemans come here and there and suddenly Kanto, is dull and tasteless.

Articuno! Articuno's gracefulness, I say! Over Crystalfaec's...crystalness.

Would probably kick Articuno's ass in a fight though

Wichu

Ok I admit I may have been a tad too harsh haha, there are some good points to the game, but I still feel it's the weakest of the series, but I have yet to play Platinum, so maybe that will change my mind of the generation if I ever get to play it.

If it helps, I often regard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mv8AxBTlJ0 to be one of my favourite tracks from the entire series, along with the Pokemon themselves...I may have just left that out in my rant lol

Platinum is way better than D/P for the battle system speedup alone. Not to mention the interface looks slicker, and more Pokémon in the regional dex means the Elite Four are actually something of a challenge now. Too bad Flint's still as bad as ever.

Platinum/HG/SS definitely had too many legendaries though. I know they were trying to get rid of the dependency on the GBA games, but still...

EDIT: KYUREM SUCKS

Sixfortyfive

The Mt. Coronet scenario is probably my favorite showdown with the token evil team in the series, and one of the reasons I like Sinnoh. The way it towers over the entire region and is traversed in part several times along the quest just gave it a nice imposing feeling that you knew would lead up to something. Cyrus was definitely the most ambitious and informed of all of the villains, too.

3D311.gif
ALbst.gif
s4ih5.gif
nJXwW.gif
C5irR.gif

SWAG TEAM
yesssss

And naturally, Kyurem reigns supreme, not only over Gen 5, but all ice-type Pokemon in the series. <3
boo hisssssss

The Mt. Coronet scenario is probably my favorite showdown with the token evil team in the series, and one of the reasons I like Sinnoh. The way it towers over the entire region and is traversed in part several times along the quest just gave it a nice imposing feeling that you knew would lead up to something. Cyrus was definitely the most ambitious and informed of all of the villains, too.
Personally, the Plasma scenario was by far the most effective and well-integrated. Fighting N throughout, Ghetsis appearing all over the place, Plasma basically succeeding until you lay the smack down, the Gym Leaders rescuing you from the Sages... so good, and a really effective way of tying all the character development the characters went through, such as Cheren and Bianca.

N and Ghetsis's plotlines were really well done by any standards; by the standards of a Pokemon plot, they're incredible.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

It definitely will, especially if it's been a while and you go in with an open mind.

Oh good then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom