• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Game Informer Details [Audio Design Interview]

delta25

Banned
I'm not a 100% sure but judging by one of the concept art photos presented in that new video, it looks like San Francisco might be a location in the game.

Endo Punk

Woah those are some nice looking pics. 0_0

So many things can go wrong with such an ambitious game but Im going to remain positive. After-all these are the guys behind UC2 which is the first time I felt a game and a movie has been combined perfectly.

Hyuga

Banned
I hadn't seen them so thanks. My eyes are always awful at picking these sort of things up (practically immune to tearing, jaggies and framerate) but those aren't technically screenshots are they?

Pic 3 and 4 are looking like gameplay screenhots.
They other ones like screenshots from some cut-scenes.

Fabrik

Banned
I thought the second to last screenshot was a photograph at first. Really intriguing. The two characters dynamic should be emotionnally interesting. Looks to be a lot more subtle to me than Uncharted.

I hadn't seen them so thanks. My eyes are always awful at picking these sort of things up (practically immune to tearing, jaggies and framerate) but those aren't technically screenshots are they?

They're ingame, but they seem to have been downscaled, and then upscaled.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm getting The Road vibes, in regards to humans against humans vibe and the specific sort of grittiness. Its definitely brighter though.

Pranay

@Hyuga

You should remove that post, they are taken from scans itseems.

Cause they were posted earlier and removed.

Loudninja

Strife Breeds Strife: Inspiration For The Last Of Us
No Country for Old Men

The Coen brothers’ film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s grim novel is serving as inspiration for The Last of Us on several levels. “The psychological impact that this movie had was completely inspiring,” says director Bruce Straley regarding his first time watching the film. Like No Country for Old Men, Naughty Dog is aiming for the “less is more” approach to the game’s soundtrack. The Coen brothers’ movie had a mere 20 minutes or so of total music (about five minutes of which was during the credits). This allows for viewers to get sucked into the subtle noises like footsteps and breathing to increase tension. Naughty Dog is also looking to the film as an overall inspiration for the game’s gritty, brutal tone.
Children of Men

Alfonso Cuarón’s movie version of P.D. James’ book, The Children of Men, is set in a post-apocalyptic world where the future of humanity hangs on the line. It’s a stark, realistic portrayal of a man’s desperate quest to fight against deranged survivors to deliver precious cargo that could save humanity. Naughty Dog wants The Last of Us to stand out from the plethora of other titles set on a ravaged earth, and using this bleak story as a muse can’t hurt.

The Walking Dead

Whether you’re a fan of AMC’s TV series or Robert Kirkman’s comic series,
The Walking Dead is one of the definitive ongoing end-of-days tales. At a glance it appears to be all about the zombie apocalypse, but spending any amount of time with the gripping saga reveals that humans end up being the real monsters.
This story of a band of survivors intermittently fighting zombie hordes – and each other – echoes Naughty’s Dog’s insistence that the fungus-infected enemies will play a smaller role in the game than you might think.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...ds-strife-inspiration-for-the-last-of-us.aspx

I spolier some of the walking dead text because I was not sure if that was a spolier or what.

Amir0x

Banned
That list is suspiciously like the absurd ambitious titles that David Cage thought his Heavy Rain game laughably lived up to, without realizing that in context it made it even more clear what an embarrassing hack he was.

But heck, I sure as well hope No Country for Old Men can be given intense life in videogame form. Naughty Dog delivering on that, though, is close to zero percent probability. Children of Men, really... these guys sure have balls, I'll give them that. But man if ever there was a company less likely to live up to these ambitions, I can only think of Quantic Dream. Then would be Naughty Dog. They might be able to vaguely represent the action cut feel of that one continuous shot though in Children of Men, given their "talent" in cinematic action set pieces.

Cool environment videos though

Amir0x

Banned
I think it's the same issue people have with many developers who build up hype by naming big, incredibly classic films or pieces of literature for inspiration or whatever. It is because we know these people do not actually have the talent on hand to even remotely live in the shadow of these greats, and it's just setting up for a really big expectations failure.

It's certainly interesting to see their creative juices being connected to inspirations, but on the other hand just thrown out in the ether it seems like some developers - not necessarily saying Naughty Dog, since the game isn't out yet - just use big names to give their titles the air of quality instead of actually having the ability to stick the landing in the arena of such gems

KingK

Here comes 100 posts of people calling Naughty Dog arrogant cunts for daring to say that their inspiration comes from quality films. They should only draw inspiration from films like Transformers 2, right?

Just like how every small time band who claims they've been inspired by the Beatles or Pink Floyd are automatically arrogant fuckfaces.

Here comes 100 posts of people calling Naughty Dog arrogant cunts for daring to say that their inspiration comes from quality films. They should only draw inspiration from films like Transformers 2, right?

Just like how every small time band who claims they've been inspired by the Beatles or Pink Floyd are automatically arrogant fuckfaces.

yep i don't understand why this bother people as much as it does.
yeah they might fail but that can be said for anything .

Amir0x

Banned

They can say they're inspired by the greatest films of all time, as well as the greatest books. It's just silly to admit your inspirations before the games are out, because it sets expectations to a really dumb level for relatively little return: we know the games will not live up to these works, so maybe they should wait until the titles are already out to reveal what you failed to live up to. Just imo

It's just my opinion, but I think it's easier to swallow when a director says "I'm trying to live up to the genius of Stanley Kubrick with my camera techniques and use of light and darkness", versus a game developer trying to suggest the same given the industries track record.

Not saying Naughty Dog is arrogant, though, like I said. The game isn't out and it is curious to see what they are going for.

This is going to make some people angry for some reason. It happend in another thread.

Your point being? This is NeoGaf, posters get angry for multiple things. That shouldn't be a reason to suppress news cause it will trigger the sensitivities of some posters. The mods will be able to maintain the interactions in a proper level and posters are encouraged to present their opinions properly.

Going back to the news is great to see that they have ambition and goals for this game to fulfill, I will follow the game with interest to see how they execute on the premises set forth.

KingK

They can say they're inspired by the greatest films of all time, as well as the greatest books. It's just silly to admit your inspirations before the games are out, because it sets expectations to a really dumb level for relatively little return: we know the games will not live up to these works, so maybe they should wait until the titles are already out to reveal what you failed to live up to. Just imo

It's just my opinion, but I think it's easier to swallow when a director says "I'm trying to live up to the genius of Stanley Kubrick with my camera techniques and use of light and darkness", versus a game developer trying to suggest the same given the industries track record.

Not saying Naughty Dog is arrogant, though, like I said. The game isn't out and it is curious to see what they are going for.

I think it's very valid to point out these inspirations as a way to give people an idea of the mood they're going for. Even before they said these, I remember some people saying that it reminded them of The Road just based on the initial trailer and info. Listing their inspirations kind of sets a lofty goal that I'm sure Naughty Dog knows they won't get close to accomplishing, but it lets us know the direction and vision they have for the game. They've never once claimed that their game's story will be on par with The Road or No Country for Old Me. Also, you're not the worst offender at all, but there were a couple people I remember in the other thread who seemed personally insulted by ND's arrogance in naming these as inspirations.

Btw, people should watch that video. They do talk about how they were throwing around different gameplay ideas before even considering a story, and weren't even sure if they would have much of a story at all at first. Maybe that will help assuage some of the fears some people seem to have about them trying to make a movie and not a game.

So what your saying is that they should kept there mouth shut until the game comes out .
I don't think there is a need to do that , many people talk about there inspiration coming from many different things who are not in the same line of work before there product comes out .
I don't see why games devs should have be different .
If the fail which most likely will happen it's not because they talk about it and if people get over hype well that happens with everything .

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
It seems incredibly stupid when people feel Naughty Dog is being arrogant by naming the various pieces that inspired them. That's entirely different than claiming they're going to eclipse them. Oh well people have a weird way of interpreting things and blowing them out of context. Oh well good luck to Naughty Dog, Im very much intrested in seeing the Last of Us get some goty accolades!

That list is suspiciously like the absurd ambitious titles that David Cage thought his Heavy Rain game laughably lived up to, without realizing that in context it made it even more clear what an embarrassing hack he was.

But heck, I sure as well hope No Country for Old Men can be given intense life in videogame form. Naughty Dog delivering on that, though, is close to zero percent probability. Children of Men, really... these guys sure have balls, I'll give them that. But man if ever there was a company less likely to live up to these ambitions, I can only think of Quantic Dream. Then would be Naughty Dog. They might be able to vaguely represent the action cut feel of that one continuous shot though in Children of Men, given their "talent" in cinematic action set pieces.

Cool environment videos though

Are you the one that all this drama around BS stems from? I know a lot on gaf take what you say pretty seriously (I don't know why), but it has to start somewhere!

It's not a big deal, every artistic creation in history takes inspirations from a variety of sources and iterates w/ it. Not that they are making, No Country for Old Men the game. And we get it, you think SO little of Naughty Dog -- can you move on now? I never understood why people that dislike something so much hang around in that thread that directly relates to it.

Irish

Are you the one that all this drama around BS stems from? I know a lot on gaf take what you say pretty seriously (I don't know why), but it has to start somewhere!

Ami has stated numerous times that he doesn't find a thread interesting unless it is filled with arguing or bitching of some sort. Some people believe him to be opinionated, but even he will tell you that he is mainly just argumentative... because it spices things up, apparently.

Ami has stated numerous times that he doesn't find a thread interesting unless it is filled with arguing or bitching of some sort. Some people believe him to be opinionated, but even he will tell you that he is mainly just argumentative... because it spices things up, apparently.

Ah got it. Missed that... As long as he's consistent!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That story and environment video interview got me 50x more hyped for this game.
I mentioned the nature taking over theme way back from early art work and I'm sooo freaking glad they're going with that route. The world will be absolutely beautiful and somewhat terrifying at the same time. Right up my alley.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I think I have to agree with you for the most part. It's not that developers shouldn't mention their inspirations at all, but the way this article handles it, placing so much emphasis on them, in a way that no other game preview has done (AFAIK), sets up The Last of Us to be a victim of unreasonable expectations. If I were the developers I'd wait until I had a more complete game on my hands before telling everyone what awesome movies to expect it to resemble.

EDIT: It's hard to tell how much of this is the GI writer indulging himself in a little movie writing on the side and how much ND wanted this information conveyed. So maybe we shouldn't blame ND so much.

Loudninja

I think I have to agree with you for the most part. It's not that developers shouldn't mention their inspirations at all, but the way this article handles it, placing so much emphasis on them, in a way that no other game preview has done (AFAIK), sets up The Last of Us to be a victim of unreasonable expectations. If I were the developers I'd wait until I had a more complete game on my hands before telling everyone what awesome movies to expect it to resemble.
Sorry but some of you are really trying hard to be upset or annoyed by something.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sorry but some of you are really fishing to be upset or annoyed by something.

Sorry but I'm not upset at all, just sharing my perspective on why some people might be bothered by this. See my edit, as well.

You, on the other hand, consistently post like you work for ND and are the world's least articulate community manager. You always have a short, nearly content-free refutation of any criticism. I saw it in the UC3 thread, and you're doing it here, too.

Did you guys even read the post? I didnt see anything that conveyed that ND thought they are making a game on the level of those films only that they were inspired by them. A lot of the comments they make are completely doable in the game. No Country for Old Men = Use music sparingly and only to complement the tension. Children of Men = A more realistic bleak world. Walking Dead = Focus on the effects this world is having on the characters. All those are great areas for ND to focus on and based on the emphasis they are placing on duplicating the excellence of the Tensin level makes me confident in them. You guys are just sounding negative for the sake of being detractors at this point.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Did you guys even read the post? I didnt see anything that conveyed that ND thought they are making a game on the level of those films only that they were inspired by them. A lot of the comments they make are completely doable in the game. No Country for Old Men = Use music sparingly and only to complement the tension. Children of Men = A more realistic bleak world. Walking Dead = Focus on the effects this world is having on the characters. All those are great areas for ND to focus on and based on the emphasis they are placing on duplicating the excellence of the Tensin level makes me confident in them. You guys are just sounding negative for the sake of being detractors at this point.

There's nothing in it for me to be a detractor of this game. I genuinely think it's risky to make so much of their influences because it creates an implicit comparison between their work and these movies/shows.

The things you have cited are indeed plausible and even laudable ideas. That doesn't mean I can't be skeptical of their hype. When I see more of the game and can judge for myself whether those influences are apparent and well-implemented, then I might change my opinion, but for now I'm just musing based on the available info. Note that I am not trying to stifle discussion on a discussion board, as some others are.

Loudninja

Yep I dont get it anymore.

Anyways I cant wait to see the game in video form should be really interesting.

There's nothing in it for me to be a detractor of this game. I genuinely think it's risky to make so much of their influences because it creates an implicit comparison between their work and these movies/shows.

The things you have cited are indeed plausible and even laudable ideas. That doesn't mean I can't be skeptical of their hype. When I see more of the game and can judge for myself whether those influences are apparent and well-implemented, then I might change my opinion, but for now I'm just musing based on the available info. Note that I am not trying to stifle discussion on a discussion board, as some others are.
I can understand feeling that way if they were making a grandiose claim here but their really not. The things they mention have already been done well in other games. Tomb Raider utilized music sparingly in brilliant fashion. I have looooonged for a return to that. It is so helpful for the immersion of the game. Half life and others have also mimicked aspects of what they are talking about but citing the inspiration allows me to get a better sense what they are going for. I haven't really felt burned or betrayed by anything ND has said in relation to their games so maybe that's why I am more trusting of them.

Let me get this straight. A developer can describe their game and show off trailers and people can make connections to other works that they're reminded of.... but the dev can't admit inspiration lest they live up to it? What the fuck kinda I don't know what is this shit?

Person A: "I'm making a LBP level inspired by Adventure Time."

Ami...err Person B: "Shit better be exactly like it OR ELSE!"

I fail at strikeouts =[

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
What i'm hoping for .. which i'm confident about for this game is the feeling of gunplay being a dangerous last resort. Not the way you open the fights.. for the NPCs or the player... To be in a hardcore fight... picking up rocks and swinging bats and then running and picking up glass and stabbing someone before you run out a door and turn the corner trying to put distance between you and the looters... then you stop and see someone in front of you about to box you in and you pull out that revolver swing from the hip and hit someone in the chest... they drop solid dead... their friends skid to a stop, turn on their heels and bail cause they don't have a gun. You limp away and regroup then fucking bounce before they come back or the noise attracts any spore-people.

Imagination is running wild with this concept. Day 1 most likely.

Amir0x

Banned

It's not a big deal, every artistic creation in history takes inspirations from a variety of sources and iterates w/ it. Not that they are making, No Country for Old Men the game. And we get it, you think SO little of Naughty Dog -- can you move on now? I never understood why people that dislike something so much hang around in that thread that directly relates to it.

Most of the time, I post an opinion that is extremely detailed. Then, someone else doesn't like what it says, usually because it is dissenting from whatever view they have. They will respond with vapid one liners dismissing the exercise, and then blame me for derailing the topic. It's a vicious cycle. These people don't know how to simply ignore posts they don't like (protip: you don't even need to use ignore, you can just... JUMP over a post you don't like and continue a conversation with someone else) and in fact it irritates them to no end to even have to see the remnants of a conversation with a dissenter. It's a sad state of affairs ;)

I agree everything takes its inspiration from somewhere, and I am not claiming it is a big deal. I am saying that I'm not sure what precisely is the benefit to Naughty Dog to list such masterpieces which people associate lots of positive with as a reference to The Last of Us. They obviously want us to take something away from the fact that they're telling us these movies are artistic inspirations, otherwise why tell us at all?

So the take away is that they want to have a game that shares a similar tone, or maybe a similar intensity, or whatever the case may be. It is then completely realistic to then adopt some expectations relating to what this game is being inspired by. My point is that these movies are so great, and the game industry as a whole is so thoroughly incapable of even coming in the same ballpark, that I'm wondering aloud if this is really a good thing for them to start. The expectations games gets started, rolls down a hill and gets a life of its own.

It's a little intellectually dishonest to say we should have no expectations associated with something they clearly mentioned so that we would associate expectations with it :p

That's not precisely accurate. I have stated that I prefer to participate in discussions with people who don't agree with me, because those conversations are far more interesting and I learn more from them. Talking with people who agree with me on everything is almost like an exercise in masturbation or something. I already know what I feel, why would I need to participate in a circle jerk?

It's not the same as "I like bitching and arguing." I like intense intellectual debates because it tends to bring out the true, unfiltered opinions in people, and tends to force people to look inward and critically analyze their points of view. A lot of people lazily say "I enjoy this" and then never actually take the time to ask why they enjoy it. So this sometimes lead to a ton of people being almost at a lost for how to defend their positions. That's why I ask: it generally gauges just how much someone really believes in what they say.

I genuinely believe in everything I post, I am as passionate in real life as I am on these forums. I frequently participate in lively debates in work and with friends.

EDIT: It's hard to tell how much of this is the GI writer indulging himself in a little movie writing on the side and how much ND wanted this information conveyed. So maybe we shouldn't blame ND so much.

Yup, I agree with your edit. Again, I'm not saying they can't list their inspirations. I find it curious myself. I just question what the benefit is to Naughty Dog. If I was in their position, I'd keep that sort of information to myself because it does start an expectations game whether people like it or not. They didn't arbitrarily provide that info for no reason. They wanted those masterpieces to evoke a certain feeling in the readership and thus by association get more excited for The Last Of Us.

Let me get this straight. A developer can describe their game and show off trailers and people can make connections to other works that they're reminded of.... but the dev can't admit inspiration lest they live up to it? What the fuck kinda I don't know what is this shit?

Person A: "I'm making a LBP level inspired by Adventure Time."

Ami...err Person B: "Shit better be exactly like it OR ELSE!"

I fail at strikeouts =[

They can do whatever they like, once again. I'm just saying because it's clear the game industry is utterly incapable of matching the work of these geniuses, let alone Naughty Dog, I think if I was the developer I might just let fans wonder aloud and keep it to myself until after the game is out. There is no way the game is ever going to come within the same galaxy of narrative or tension quality of Children of Men or No Country for Old Men... so it's an interesting bit of expectations setting that could backfire for them.

That said, I find it curious and I always prefer the developer's honest assessment of their work, even if it is crazily out of touch with the reality of the project. I am just wondering aloud at the wisdom of such a thing. To try to act like there is no expectations associated with the mentioning of such films is a little silly.

Btw, people should watch that video. They do talk about how they were throwing around different gameplay ideas before even considering a story, and weren't even sure if they would have much of a story at all at first. Maybe that will help assuage some of the fears some people seem to have about them trying to make a movie and not a game.

Well, it seems to me that they were considering not having a story before but that they very much settled back into a cinematic style of storytelling and narrative. So I don't think that would assuage fears, if gamers have them

Ricky_R

See... I spend the effort to really flesh out my thoughts, and then this ;)

haha seriously though.

I find myself disagreeing with you many times, but I can't fault you for expressing your opinions with passion and proper articulation. I try to argue what I can when I feel like I can sound somewhat intelligent. I can't keep up with you though.

Amir0x

Banned
haha seriously though.

I find myself disagreeing with you many times, but I can't fault you for expressing your opinions with passion and proper articulation. I try to argue what I can when I feel like I can sound somewhat intelligent. I can't keep up with you though.

I think you and many others keep up just fine. You guys are engaging. A general rule is that if I ignore your posts or your points, it is because I don't find you engaging or intelligent. And sometimes that also means you probably don't have my respect. I only talk to people I respect* :)

*exception being when someone tries to call me out using extremely misleading or false information. Clarity is important!

Irish

haha seriously though.

You can, however, fault him for having awful opinions though. Of course, I can't really say anything about that seeing as how I often find myself disagreeing with everyone else on GAF about Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Assassin's Creed, 'cinematic' games, setpieces, and just about everything else.

I am rather curious as to how ND plan on presenting the gameplay to the public. I wonder what type of scene they will end up showing off.

Amir0x

Banned
You can, however, fault him for having awful opinions though. Of course, I can't really say anything about that seeing as how I often find myself disagreeing with everyone else on GAF about Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Assassin's Creed, 'cinematic' games, setpieces, and just about everything else.

I am rather curious as to how ND plan on presenting the gameplay to the public. I wonder what type of scene they will end up showing off.

You can indeed, but it's kind of empty words if you yourself don't put yourself out there to describe how said opinions are awful and don't in fact engage in the debate. It's easy to call others out; much more difficult to articulate why and then put yourself out there :D

KingK

What i'm hoping for .. which i'm confident about for this game is the feeling of gunplay being a dangerous last resort. Not the way you open the fights.. for the NPCs or the player... To be in a hardcore fight... picking up rocks and swinging bats and then running and picking up glass and stabbing someone before you run out a door and turn the corner trying to put distance between you and the looters... then you stop and see someone in front of you about to box you in and you pull out that revolver swing from the hip and hit someone in the chest... they drop solid dead... their friends skid to a stop, turn on their heels and bail cause they don't have a gun. You limp away and regroup then fucking bounce before they come back or the noise attracts any spore-people.

Imagination is running wild with this concept. Day 1 most likely.

Yeah, the concept has a lot of great potential. It sounds like they're heading in the right direction from what little we've heard about scarce ammo, melee with various objects, and enemy AI that behaves according to the situation (i.e. they will hide if you have a gun and they don't, or swarm you if you don't have a gun and are outnumbered). I'm really anxious to see some gameplay to see how closely they deliver on these ideas. I'm guessing we'll have to wait until E3 for that though.

Top Bottom