• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well its not just the headphone jack, its Apples going down to one port on their laptops too. Hardly surprising givens Apples fetish. I expect apple would have no ports of they could.

I'm just surprised Apple used shitty bluetooth, rather than making their own wireless spec that worked much better for headphone audio. Especially with owning beats.
Agreed. Bluetooth surprised me the most, too. I had hoped they would make a new wireless standard and open it up for everyone. Alas. Bluetooth is awful and it's always supposed to be better the next revision. Never happening!

Quasar

Agreed. Bluetooth surprised me the most, too. I had hoped they would make a new wireless standard and open it up for everyone. Alas. Bluetooth is awful and it's always supposed to be better the next revision. Never happening!

I wonder what the Sony codec that Google is adding into Android O will be like. That could make it sound better, though you still have the underlying issues of Bluetooth connection stability.

Groof

I wonder what the Sony codec that Google is adding into Android O will be like. That could make it sound better, though you still have the underlying issues of Bluetooth connection stability.
You mean APTX? It makes music sound better not make bluetooth better. Nothing can do that

kaiyo

It's not water resistant. If it was, it would be mentioned. Some schmuck dumped I in water and it came out working so it's water resistant!

Small phones are dinosaurs. Tell him to give it up. He should just go grab a OP3T at this point.
Nope, just look at some tear down there's water resistant seals etc. And the Japanese model is advertised as ip68. For what ever reason Sony didn't advertised it as ip68 outside of Japan.

Well, this phone isn't for me, it's for a co-worker. I don't care how easy it is to flash - I don't think he wants to deal with any of that. He does want stock android and Sony brings the most close experience to that. The Pixel is the perfect phone for him, but it's never in stock and he doesn't want to wait that much longer.

That's good that it's water resistant, but a much of reviews I looked at went out of their way to specifically say that it's not.
i.e. Tech reviewers being useless??

It also has to be a compact, decently spec'd phone, which makes this harder to recommend Sony phones. The Xperia Z3 Compact that I used to own easily a better phone than the shit that's out now. I'm pretty sure that's on Nougat too.

You can flash it for him? Takes like 5 mins (+ downloading the firmware.)
The X compact is a better phone than z5 compact other than the GPU being better on the z5.
Look at this review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7TnCbEYQw

reKon

Banned
Nope, just look at some tear down there's water resistant seals etc. And the Japanese model is advertised as ip68. For what ever reason Sony didn't advertised it as ip68 outside of Japan.

You can flash it for him? Takes like 5 mins (+ downloading the firmware.)
The X compact is a better phone than z5 compact other than the GPU being better on the z5.
Look at this review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7TnCbEYQw

oh shit, I forgot how snappy Sony phones are. That thing flies. Also, according to the CNET review, the Japanese version actually has the waterproofing on top of having a working fingerprint scanner out of the box...

how badly did Sony get penalized in the US? so bizarre...

kaiyo

oh shit, I forgot how snappy Sony phones are. That thing flies. Also, according to the CNET review, the Japanese version actually has the waterproofing on top of having a working fingerprint scanner out of the box...

Only the US has the fingerprint disabled. Even Canada has it enabled. Probably (my guess) some patent having the power button double as fingerprint reader, and the owner doesn't want to lease it or it's stupid expensive.

reKon

Banned
Only the US has the fingerprint disabled. Even Canada has it enabled. Probably (my guess) some patent having the power button double as fingerprint reader, and the owner doesn't want to lease it or it's stupid expensive.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-fingerprint-sensors-us-deals

Happened to come across the comments and found this. This comment is under rated:

ORzskeD.png

Mindwipe

All the Xperia X series are waterproofed the same, and by all accounts actually are waterproof still. Sony just didn't want to put up with the warranty claims any more so removed the claim from any packaging or publicity.

My S8 is here. First impression is that Smart Switch not working with my Xperia XA isn't great. The screen is amazing though, and you can get so much text density. Die, Material whitespace, die!

ty_hot

The discounts in phones began after the S8 was released... The P10 is currently on sale at Mediamarket for only 470 euros (that is an awesome price for the device). (the whole Huawei line is on sale actually). The LG G6 is 749 but you also get a 100 euros coupon.

Compare that with the 810 euros Galaxy S8. The S8+ is 910 (2 times the P10 price almost).

So, totally newbie question. If I want a Pixel XL, and I want it today, my best bet is to go to a Verizon store? And, if I buy one there, can I get it unlocked? Like, I'm on AT&T, would it be feasible for me to buy my phone at a Verizon store and just put in my AT&T SIM?

Prices for flagship phones in Europe are stupid

At least the prices fall relatively quickly. The S7 launched for 699 and I bought it 3 months after launch for 499. Some bigger retailers sold it for 399 or 449 around Christmas.

Now that Samsung put another 100 bucks on last year's price, launching the S8 for 799, it's going to take a little longer, of course.

It's not water resistant. If it was, it would be mentioned. Some schmuck dumped I in water and it came out working so it's water resistant!

Small phones are dinosaurs. Tell him to give it up. He should just go grab a OP3T at this point.

Being fair, I've now got a 128GB OP3T and prefer my old Mi5 :( I'll be switching to a Mi6 once they come out.

Paganmoon

At least the prices fall relatively quickly. The S7 launched for 699 and I bought it 3 months after launch for 499. Some bigger retailers sold it for 399 or 449 around Christmas.

Now that Samsung put another 100 bucks on last year's price, launching the S8 for 799, it's going to take a little longer, of course.

the hell? Am looking to get an S7 for my mother to upgrader from her S4, they're still over 500 euros over here.

Mindwipe

So, totally newbie question. If I want a Pixel XL, and I want it today, my best bet is to go to a Verizon store? And, if I buy one there, can I get it unlocked? Like, I'm on AT&T, would it be feasible for me to buy my phone at a Verizon store and just put in my AT&T SIM?

If you want one today your best bet is to find someone who has one and kill them tbh. Google logistics eh?

BraXzy

Dude is getting really good at weaving in sponsorships too lol.

I think YouTubers in general are, I'm noticing more and more oh and this great case I got sent by Spigen is working really well by the way.. did I mention Spigen? Instead of the blatant "THIS VIDEO IS SPONSORED BY..." at the start.

Jeffrey

I think YouTubers in general are, I'm noticing more and more oh and this great case I got sent by Spigen is working really well by the way.. did I mention Spigen? Instead of the blatant "THIS VIDEO IS SPONSORED BY..." at the start.
Yep. Put some effort and it's less likely for me to skip

snacknuts

we all knew her
Hangouts users....what are you going to switch to when the SMS shutdown happens, or have you already switched?

The only phone number anyone has for me is my Google Voice number, so I don't have to mess with switching. If I did have to worry about it, I would probably just use the stock Messenger app. Hangouts prompted me a few days ago to pick a new SMS app and that's what I chose.

ty_hot

Man, wtf is google doing with SMS? They are dropping hangouts support... so I went and downloaded Allo.. sent a sms to test it. My gf gets a huge message: "HEY ty_hot WANTS TO TALK TO YOU IN ALL! DOWNLOAD THE APP IN THIS LINK OR ANSWER THIS MESSAGE FOR FREE!!!'

seriously, wtf
it looks like a big scam. deleting this shit right now. what is google's oter option for sms?

yyzjohn

Banned
Man, wtf is google doing with SMS? They are dropping hangouts support... so I went and downloaded Allo.. sent a sms to test it. My gf gets a huge message: "HEY ty_hot WANTS TO TALK TO YOU IN ALL! DOWNLOAD THE APP IN THIS LINK OR ANSWER THIS MESSAGE FOR FREE!!!'

seriously, wtf
it looks like a big scam. deleting this shit right now. what is google's oter option for sms?

Android messages...don't think Allo is made for SMS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

IronRaven

Seems like the Huawei p10 phone parts are sourced from various places of various speeds lol.

Inject a little more lottery irl

https://www.xda-developers.com/huaw...e-memory-chips-with-different-specifications/

That's pretty crazy. I'd be pissed if I got a phone that had worse performance out of the box when compared to other people who spent the same amount I did on the exact same phone.

It's probably not super noticeable, but it still would bug me just knowing it.

Also, kind of not great on Huawei for basically shrugging and say "Better luck next time".

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any smart company having difficulty sourcing parts should make a $50 pricier model with the better parts.

Husker86

Looking at a new portable battery charger.

What are everyone's thoughts on QuickCharge? Now that Type C is becoming the standard, the Type C charging speed of 15W will be on (all?) devices.

The reason I ask is because there are two chargers I'm looking at--one has a Quick Charge 3.0 port with a 15W Type C port, the other supports up to 30W via Type C but has no Quick Charge (just two 2.4 amp Type A ports).

So my choice is
- 15W Type C with Quick Charge 3.0 Type A
- up to 30W Type C with "standard" 2.4 amp Type A

I'm leaning towards the latter, since there is potential to use this on future, large devices, like laptops.

Top Bottom