• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

Razor210

MickeyKnox said:
MoveIt.gif
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Tobor

BigNastyCurve said:
I love my 360 but I'm much more excited about this than Natal. I just can't see Natal being fun.

Agreed. Hopefully all first person shooters and action games support this going forward.

Godfather Wii controls on PS3? Yes please!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So how does this magnetic thingie work?

Do you need something that creates a magnetic field?

The sixsense tech is based on detecting changes in a magnetic field, and it has an emitter that creates said field.

And what does this bring anyway beyond the gyro/accelerometers etc? Or is it overlapping data to reinforce confidence in precision?

All I know is that I can play Wii games on PS3 in HD while having my awesome PSN (AJ, I love you!) without owning a Wii. I can't wait for GAF's online gaming lagfest with this shit! It's a superb ripoff Sony. Thank you for ripping off Nintendo!

Takao

Banned
That other thread is crazy. When's Destination PlayStation? That's the best non-E3 shot at hearing more news about Move games that have yet to be announced.

DiscoJer

Oh great. Every time I see this mentioned, I am going to get the song "Do Ya" (originally done by The Move, precursor to ELO) in my head

I will say that apart from the D-pad and possibly the....(ugh) PMS X/O, I prefer their button placement over the Wiimote/Nunchuk's. Placing Select and Start on the sides seems much more convenient than the Wiimote's placement of the - and + buttons.

But I don't know if that makes up for how stupidly awkward it's going to be for your thumb to hop off of the PMS' joystick for X/O/D-pad usage.

Stencil

I'm sure SOMEONE has mentioned its striking resemblance to a sex toy already, so I won't mention that, but Arc was way cooler. Move? Fuck that. Move away from this peripheral is more like it. Just kiddin' guys.

shagg_187 said:
All I know is that I can play Wii games on PS3 in HD while having my awesome PSN (AJ, I love you!) without owning a Wii. I can't wait for GAF's online gaming lagfest with this shit! It's a superb ripoff Sony. Thank you for ripping off Nintendo!

You dont like it? dont buy it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Massa said:
Adding motion controller to games like SOCOM, Killzone and Resistance has the potential to ruin their online modes.

Ruin? How about making the playing field more even? I'm pretty good at PC L4D, but I went to a buddy's house and we played some 360 L4D online, and it was like doing jumping jacks in a sleeping bag. Controllers have never been that great for FPS', because the fine control isn't there. I'm very much looking forward to this.

Platy

....anyone care to explain if the X and O in the "nunchuck" are the same X and O on the "wiimote" ?

or they will be nicknamed sX and mX ?

DoomGyver

I really want to see how a FPS with cross hairs dedicated to the center of the screen would work with the move. How would one turn 360 degrees?

surly

Banned
Dr.Acula said:
Ruin? How about making the playing field more even?
Yeah, having 2 different control schemes where only a fraction of players will use 1 of them really levels the playing field.

Raist

Banned
gofreak said:

The sixsense tech is based on detecting changes in a magnetic field, and it has an emitter that creates said field.

And what does this bring anyway beyond the gyro/accelerometers etc? Or is it overlapping data to reinforce confidence in precision?

Hmmm... the pseye's microphones?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:

Earth? :lol

soldat7 said:
Does this thing have vibration?

Yes.

beast786

I really like the table tennis. That look sweet, Especially the variations in the shots. Played it through my Undergraduate years and never since then. Didnt have a room for the table :lol

Couple of questions. People are complaining about the street fighter demo as if it wasnt responsive .. Is that true?

2nd question.... During the sword demo. He talked about the way he was standing. My question is was the PSEYE also mapping his position or stand?

Platy

Stencil said:
I'm sure SOMEONE has mentioned its striking resemblance to a sex toy already, so I won't mention that, but Arc was way cooler. Move? Fuck that. Move away from this peripheral is more like it. Just kiddin' guys.

As a friend said ... they had 3 options

Square like a remote controler
Round like a sex toy
or triangular like a Toblerone ....

remote was already used and toblerone don't have a confortable grip ... so ...

Dr.Acula

Banned
surly said:
Yeah, having 2 different control schemes where only a fraction of players will use 1 of them really levels the playing field.

I imagine pretty widespread adoption right after you hop on Straight-Up Dog Time and get move'd. Who's not buying one of these after they was murdered by the other team, who went on to win, 50-nil?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Subcontroller? I know that Sony is saying that this isn't a Wii Remote knockoff, but damn, I don't know whether to believe them or not.

SOCOM 4 using the controller is cool, though. :D

Am I the only one that's excited about the fact that the trigger is an actual trigger instead of the slippery L2/R2 on the DS3? Thank goodness for those "real trigger" add-ons.

Yagharek

TTP said:
Earth? :lol

:lol :lol lovely response.

I'm quite intrigued as to how accurate it will be, sounds like it has quite a few reference points and sensors. Should be great.

Only problem is how playable it will be with a highly variable magnetic field orientation in Antarctica.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
OK, a resume from the tech discussion we had earlier, form Engadget:

We hate to say this about "pre-alpha" software, but we're feeling lag. An on-rails shooter we tried out, dubbed The Shoot, was discernibly inferior to shooting experiences we've had on the Wii, both in precision and refresh rate of the aiming cursor.

Lets see how this evolves. ANyone got more feedback about the issue?

gofreak said:

No, it's a "terrestrial" magnetic field sensor, which is a fancy way to say "compass". I suspect it's used to aid calibration of the gyros to increase the accuracy of the orientation data.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:

My (trained) technical intuition tells me that this gives a permanent and reliable point of reference, the earth magnetic field, for Move. Along with Eye, this seems to be the thing that gives Move its awezome spatial tracking.

Kronotech

Looks pretty but "let's use the Move" doesn't sound good. How can they use a verb for the name of their controller? At least call it... Jump or... Somersault... something more active.

cakefoo

Lonely1 said:
Okay guys, my Two sents about pointing. In the LBP demo, It clearly was using the absolute position of the ball rather than the posiiton and the angles.
my sensible guess is, the lbp way makes sense for lbp because it's like you're reaching out in front of the tv to interact with it like a touchscreen. plus you have better control this way. think of it like drawing something on a chalkboard right in front of you compared to drawing on a distant wall with a laser pointer. the latter feels unnatural and you have much more artistic control with the former.

Apath

They changed the name to Move? Sounds horrible to me ;_; I really liked the name Arc. Then again I thought the name Wii sounded much worse than Revolution, and now I can't understand why I ever thought that way.

And that demo pic holding the wand and sony-nunchuck looks aces. That's how the Wiimote should have been done.

EDIT: NM, thought the big button on the main wand was an analogue stick.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CosmicGroinPull said:
Controllers look very nice, but anyone know whether the triggers are real ones (a la 360 controller) or the sixaxis' fake squishy type?

Dunno about the feel, but the shape is promising. I'm not sure what you mean by squishy tho? You mean they don't oppose as much resistance as the 360 controller ones?

mugwhump

Hmmm... I wonder what they'll do about no motion in the nunchuck? Two-handed stuff is really satisfying, and it's possible with the sixaxis. But they probably don't want to increase the price any more...

Lonely1 said:

The wiimote pointer senses light, which moves very fast according to scientists :p
Gyroscopic pointing can be good, but I doubt it'll ever be quite as good as the wii's solution.

Though using move (or WM+ I guess) to point gives less sensitivity, you have a much wider range of motion. Also, if the terrestrial magnetic sensor and the ball+camera do indeed offer some kind of orientational reference point, that'll be a huge benefit. Though there was some calibration in the vids.

TTP said:
Dunno about the feel, but the shape is promising. I'm not sure what you mean by squishy tho? You mean they don't oppose as much resistance as the 360 controller ones?

Yeah, resistance as well as type. Sixaxis' triggers are basically a bigger version of its analog buttons (ie a rubber blob that makes more contact on circuit board the more you squish it) while 360 triggers use proper variable resistors.

KevinCow

Banned
Lonely1 said:

From the Socom videos there, it looks like it does pointing pretty well. Maybe a bit of lag, but I'm sure that could be sorted out with a smoothing algorithm like in later Wii games.

I'm disappointed with what I've seen so far, but one smart thing about Move? You basically have all the buttons of a Sixaxis except for the second analogue stick. That means that the motion sensor could be used to replace the functions of the 2nd stick i.e. it would be how you would have motion in an FPS.

ElFly

somuchwater said:
I'm disappointed with what I've seen so far, but one smart thing about Move? You basically have all the buttons of a Sixaxis except for the second analogue stick. That means that the motion sensor could be used to replace the functions of the 2nd stick i.e. it would be how you would have motion in an FPS.

I was thinking the same thing; maybe it can function as a standard controller for regular games, which would be nice, as the wiimote/nunchuck combo is really comfortable as a split controller.

But I doubt it'll happen.

Mik2121

Kronotech said:
Looks pretty but "let's use the Move" doesn't sound good. How can they use a verb for the name of their controller? At least call it... Jump or... Somersault... something more active.
Because "let's use the Wii" sounded super hot back when the Wii was announced, right?.

Seriously, I just can't shake my head anymore with you guys.. It's like nobody here learnt with the whole Wii thing... :|

Top Bottom