• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Juan

I think it's going to be quiet around here for some months, since there isn't much to say about Halo 5, as I'm sure the regular now on Reset will be talking more than we would do here, but I'm hoping HaloGAF will flourish once again when we will hear more about Halo 6.

yeah THANKS dany for jinxing us :p

but seriously halo ots haven't been the same ever sense the dumb mods at the time shut down HaloGAF a good while ago

at least we have it back in the other place

Juan

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedesign...vidual_empowerment_in/?st=1Z141Z3&sh=b64dd7cc

Figured I’d post this here as well. It’s s great look st individual empowerment and touches on why H5 feels sweaty, and how people falsely attribute the issue to “competitive focus”.

Also, does Gaf have a way to jump to the first unread comment in a thread? It’s something I love about TB and Resetera, but can’t figure out here...

It's on top of the page:

1509298483-capture-d-ecran-2017-10-29-a-18-34-14.png

Saw this on Reddit, but I didn't take a look until now, I'm going to read it now (and answer here or on Rest, I don't know yet).

Trup1aya

It's on top of the page:

1509298483-capture-d-ecran-2017-10-29-a-18-34-14.png

Saw this on Reddit, but I didn't take a look until now, I'm going to read it now (and answer here or on Rest, I don't know yet).

Yah I see that on PC, but on mobile that button doesnt exist, and the arrow always takes me to the last page.

Edit: just did a double check and it doesn't work on either of my mobile phones.

The best thing is being able to see who quoted you. Why this place never implemented that is beyond me.

That, coupled with the fact that I can't jump to the last read on mobile has caused me to miss debates.

And y'all know I love my debates.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yah I see that on PC, but on mobile that button doesnt exist, and the arrow always takes me to the last page.

Edit: just did a double check and it doesn't work on either of my mobile phones.

That, coupled with the fact that I can't jump to the last read on mobile has caused me to miss debates.

And y'all know I love my debates.

Preferences > thread arrows go to > first unread

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You discovered the holy grail, just as the world collapses. Not sure if this is good or just sad

Madness

I'm looking forward to the return of The Great Sprint Debate™ once Halo 6 is revealed.

What's crazy is adding spartan charge and making sprint unlimited made it be used far more than it ever was in Reach or Halo 4. The no shield recharge while sprinting delay is not as risk vs reward as an almost 5 foot melee range, one hit kill from the back or unlimited sprint to across the map where you can hide and let it recharge. Another of those work on paper/theory mechanics but not in game just like global ordnance. Remember how many defended it saying it would add variation and allow full map usage blah blah if power weapons dropped over the map randomly.

Trup1aya

Random ordnance drops were a mistake, but I liked the animation in which weapons would drop in from the sky.

I wish Warzone had ordinance drops instead of requiring trips to a req station.

Capture bases to establish control over sections of the map. This enables your team to drop ordinance within those sections.

Players would have to consider whether it's worth it to give away their position in exchange for the weapon. Or they could intentionally use the drop to draw enemy attention into a trap.

Req stations and loadouts would still be available as safer options, but i think ordinance drops would benefit the action.

As much as it would make me happy to see sprint gone, I give Halo 6 a 0.01% chance that sprint is removed. Aim needs to be improved upon and there needs to be more and better maps, especially in BTB. Lastly, 1-side objective games need to return in a huge way. I think those are probably the biggest needs for Halo 6, at least in matchmaking. Campaign is a different story - obviously split screen.

Secondary improvements are more debatable. I'd love sprint to be gone and for there to be less abilities in Halo 6. I think you should be able to use a controller without paddles and have zero disadvantage, competitively. But most people agree that Halo 5 is still pretty fun regardless.

Hopefully 343 is smart about what they do to improve Halo 5 with Halo 6. By the way, is Stinkles gone? I just assume most devs have gone, but didn't know for sure.

Trup1aya

I saw that. I might have to actually turn on halo 5 again just to see how it feels. I love that people didnt like the assault rifle being nerfed. Gotta have that crutch weapon lol. Aww man my pray and spray weapon isn't getting me cheap easy kills anymore. Fix it! ;D

People are just silly, the gun still wrecks, you just have to put an effort to be good with it. I'll never understand why people wouldn't want a gun to have skill gap in pvp. Getting killed by something that I know has no counter is frustrating.

stk-dbea5c1813784409a18fdd1f8bc11376.jpg

This chart above represents all of the perfect kill times as well as the least efficient or suboptimal kill times. Suboptimal is defined by landing every single shot from a weapon but never landing a headshot.

If anyone ever doubted the absolute BEASTliness of the Storm Rifle, not only does it have the fastest kill time, it is the only weapon which doesn't require head shots to achieve the perfect kill time.

Juan

I wish Warzone had ordinance drops instead of requiring trips to a req station.

Capture bases to establish control over sections of the map. This enables your team to drop ordinance within those sections.

Players would have to consider whether it's worth it to give away their position in exchange for the weapon. Or they could intentionally use the drop to draw enemy attention into a trap.

Req stations and loadouts would still be available as safer options, but i think ordinance drops would benefit the action.

Isn't this the definition of Dominion from Halo 4?

Btw, I will never understood why we lost gametypes like Invasion and Dominion when transitioning to new games.

If anyone ever doubted the absolute BEASTliness of the Storm Rifle, not only does it have the fastest kill time, it is the only weapon which doesn't require head shots to achieve the perfect kill time.

I've got to be honest, I never gave Storm Rifle a chance as I don't like to use it, but seeing this chart, I will now rush for this weapon when it's available on the map!

Btw, downloading Halo 5 once again to see how the final tuning ended up being. I can't really feel the change just by reading the bulletin on Waypoint, but if I like this as much as liked the tuning test, then maybe, Halo 5 will stay on my Xbox One.

PS: I definitely prefer the design of NeoGAF, can't say the same for Reset.

Trup1aya

Isn't this the definition of Dominion from Halo 4?

Btw, I will never understood why we lost gametypes like Invasion and Dominion when transitioning to new games.

Warzone is essentially the evolution of Dominion, as far as I can tell. So this would further evolve the idea.

Each base would represent control of 1/3 of the map. So long as you were within your own territory, you could air drop your req items to your position. This way you don't have to go find a req station.

In dominion, you are limited to the ordinance dictated by the map, and it drops at the base on set intervals.

Dominion had base fortifications; it made the mode special and unlike anything we've played in Halo before. It's too bad it didn't stick around.
Uhh excuse me, Mr. Sentinel Beam would like to have a word with you.

SaylorMan

Curious; anyone in the Australian/New Zealand region still actively playing this game online? If so how long are your wait times? Whats the quality of matches like?

What's crazy is adding spartan charge and making sprint unlimited made it be used far more than it ever was in Reach or Halo 4. The no shield recharge while sprinting delay is not as risk vs reward as an almost 5 foot melee range, one hit kill from the back or unlimited sprint to across the map where you can hide and let it recharge. Another of those work on paper/theory mechanics but not in game just like global ordnance. Remember how many defended it saying it would add variation and allow full map usage blah blah if power weapons dropped over the map randomly.

I've given up hoping sprint will be removed. Spartan Charge needs to die though. I don't mind anything that increases movement but SC is cheap and it pisses me off winning a 1v1 when some cheeky fuck Spartan Charges me from behind.

Gundy

Neo Member
Anybody still playing H5?

I've been getting back in to the swing of things and all my past friends that I used to play with don't play halo anymore.

BizzyBum

Anybody still playing H5?

I've been getting back in to the swing of things and all my past friends that I used to play with don't play halo anymore.

I play occasionally, but not as much as I used to.

I've been playing Oddball when I do get on and it's fun.

pieface

So I got my nice new Xbox One X. Thought I'd see how Halo looked, jumped online for the first time in about 6 months, had one game, we won.

Straight after got as message from a team mate...

"your so butt".

WTF. No wonder Halo has gone to shit.

BizzyBum

So I got my nice new Xbox One X. Thought I'd see how Halo looked, jumped online for the first time in about 6 months, had one game, we won.

Straight after got as message from a team mate...

"your so butt".

WTF. No wonder Halo has gone to shit.

Stuff like that is not exclusive to Halo. lol

Top Bottom