• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo intends to maintain a steady stream of releases for Switch

Waji

and even managed to get xenoblade chronicles 2 into 2017 despite alot of doubt from gamers
What ??
How can doubt from totally unrelated "gamers" could have anything to do with Xenoblade 2 being released with or without delay ?

And really, people should stop thinking this is a miracle. The worst that could have happenned is a very small delay for localisation if there reaslly has been a big problem or something. If they made it while Monolith was working on the game, it's exactly so it could be a worldwide release, it's not "luck".

EDarkness

What ??
How can doubt from totally unrelated "gamers" could have anything to do with Xenoblade 2 being released with or without delay ?

And really, people should stop thinking this is a miracle. The worst that could have happenned is a very small delay for localisation if there reaslly has been a big problem or something. If they made it while Monolith was working on the game, it's exactly so it could be a worldwide release, it's not "luck".

There were folks hell bent on saying that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would be delayed until next year. Lots of folks just wouldn't believe it, and some folks didn't believe it when they announced the official release date.

Waji

There were folks hell bent on saying that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would be delayed until next year. Lots of folks just wouldn't believe it, and some folks didn't believe it when they announced the official release date.
Just because of XenobladeX they began to think any Xenoblade title would take up to 4 years of development and at least 6 months of localisation.

But that would be forgetting... A LOT of details, like how the game was their first HD title, or how it wasn't a classic RPG but Open World game focus on background and so on...

But Monolithsoft is capable of producing amazing games in ~2 years, we kinda knew that already. And relaively early, Nintendo announced they were aiming for worldwide release.
It's not the Wii U anymore. They don't have to announce projects ahead of schedule in panic anymore. They have the experience and just need to expand their communication and user base.

I need Metroid and Pokemon!! Release them steadily into my veins Nintendo!! I die inside seeing no release dates on all my switch game preorders

Arion

I'm pretty close to buying a swtich, just need a few more games to win me over. Hopefully an action game from platinum,

Waji

The good thing is that Nintendo seems to prioritize third party over "too much Nintendo" and I'm actually happy there's no virtual console yet.
We need more diversity before focusing on "too much" Nintendo games.

Yet, there are still people crying theres nothing to play on the switch, sure.

That being said, its only been 7 months, and the Library has some pretty amazing games, and even more to come this year and next.

Odyssey of course,
Doom is coming in less than 20 days,
Xenoblade Chronicles 2,
Lest we forget Rocket League, that will be insane for those people who are insane and play that game.
Wargroove is supposed to be out this year, lots of hype for that.
Bloodstained,
Kirby,
Fire Emblem proper sequel,
Wolfenstein II,
Octopath Traveler
BlazBlue,
Metroid Prime,
Pokemon (doubtful 2018)
Pikmin,
and god knows what else that will be announced in the next few months

pswii60

It'll be impossible for Nintendo to match 2017 in terms of quality next year - with the best Zelda and Mario titles in years launching within 8 months of each other. I expect next year the unannounced titles might be things like Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Pokémon etc - games which will be hugely popular but sadly I have zero interest in.

The next game I'm craving for my Switch is MP4 but it'll be a huge surprise if that releases in 2018, given they said the game is still very early in development back at E3.

Perhaps there will be some interesting third party exclusives too though, hopefully something from Platinum that isn't more Wonderful 101.

epicnemesis

I'm sorry but I don't see what was so amazing about 2017 as far as first party output is concerned.

1-2-Switch
Arms
Fire Emblem Warriors
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey

Mario and Zelda are/will be top notch. Everything else is just kind of eh or it's been played to death because it's a port.

I would say that is the greatest 1 year line up there has ever been from any developer ever. No joke or hyperbole. And its only been 8 months.

I mean I knew they would do this and I find it hilarious people who think Nintendo released almost all their IP's this year. I guess most gamers don't know Nintendo.

I would say that is the greatest 1 year line up there has ever been from any developer ever. No joke or hyperbole. And its only been 8 months.

Snipperclips is first party also.

18-Volt

So, confirmed 2018 full price titles are;

Kirby
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Attack on Titan 2
Atelier Lydia
Penny Punching Princess
One Piece PW3
Wolfenstein 2
Dragon Quest Builders 1-2
Blablue Tag Team
Octopath Traveler
Lost Sphear

Ok lineup but needs more hard hitters. Many of those titles will have stealth releases that only a few people would care. Switch needs more big ports like Wolfenstein, preferably from other publishers. Maybe Bethesda could bring their other titles (I 100% expect Fallout 4 at some point, I think they're giving Skyrim a breathing space right now), or those rumored ports are actually real (GTA5, Dark Souls). Ports are quick and safe schedule fillers, and they're much better than shovelware Nintendo puts out (broken Mario sports and party games, 2D spinoffs of normally 3D games)

Also absence of Namco and Capcom is baffling, a Nintendo platform without both feels broken. Namco has lots of PS4 software coming in 2018 and none of them is having a Switch version. And Capcom is going all in with cool remasters but leaving Switch out in cold. I hope both change their strategies and see Switch as a current gen console instead of a novelty handheld with an untrustworthy audience.

F34R

I'm sorry but I don't see what was so amazing about 2017 as far as first party output is concerned.

1-2-Switch
Arms
Fire Emblem Warriors
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey

Mario and Zelda are/will be top notch. Everything else is just kind of eh or it's been played to death because it's a port.

Maybe not with first party titles alone... however, 2017 has been really good for me and my Switch.

6 1st party games and 21 3rd party/indie games for me. My Switch has been abused lol.

Bunga

What do we reckon the chances are of Switch getting more 360/PS3 ports a la Skyrim? I'd be down for that but not sure it'll happen. Suppose it might depend on how much success Skyrim has?

iswasdoes

My predictions:

In addition to all the Kirbys and Yoshis there will be a high profile franchise or two surprise release next year that elevates the current first party line up i.e. Smash and maybe Mario Maker or Pikmin

There will also be a bunch of Wii U ports, I reckon under a 'Classic' type sub brand, with the likes of Captain Toad, Zelda HD remakes etc getting re-releases.

There will also be whatever VC turns out to be, with gamecube and wii games making that a more exciting announce.

Next year is gonna lack titles of the stature of Zelda and Mario (once in a generation games), but will make up for it in a volume of quality that raids the vaults of the nintendo ip back catalogue.

Then 2019 will have your metroids, your F-Zeros, and your all new IPs.

NahaNago

I'm really hoping Nintendo opens up the flood gates with vc games and puts pretty much everything from wii u to nes and 3ds to gameboy on the switch ( at a reasonable price) but i guess we won't get anything until their subscription starts up. I really need to get my lazy self to hook up my switch.

Majukun

I wodner if they can,they have already spent plenty of ammo and they are already using the lesser known or prestigious franchises on the second year

18-Volt

I would have to imagine with the way Nintendo has been revealing games, most of the 2018 lineup has not been revealed yet.

That's true but it's kind of too late for first half of 2018. From now on, any brand new game reveal from Nintendo, would be slated for late 2018 release. First half could get new releases but they might be mostly ports. I suspect Bayonetta collection to be one.

What do we reckon the chances are of Switch getting more 360/PS3 ports a la Skyrim? I'd be down for that but not sure it'll happen. Suppose it might depend on how much success Skyrim has?

I think we'll see more current gen ports than last gen ports. Bethesda seem to be mastered the porting to Switch with Doom and Wolfenstein, I expect others to try their hand.

That's true but it's kind of too late for first half of 2018. From now on, any brand new game reveal from Nintendo, would be slated for late 2018 release. First half could get new releases but they might be mostly ports. I suspect Bayonetta collection to be one.

I think we'll see more current gen ports than last gen ports. Bethesda seem to be mastered the porting to Switch with Doom and Wolfenstein, I expect others to try their hand.

Why would games be announced now mean they would be late 2018 release?

18-Volt

Why would games be announced now mean they would be late 2018 release?

Publicity. Nintendo needs more than a couple of months to hype up the game after its initial announcement. There is only 8 months between now and last day of first half of the 2018, and it's not enough for Nintendo to have exposure for a big title. And I also thing we're nowhere near to next Nintendo direct.

Smaller stuff doesn't need big publicity though, that's why I believe first half will be filled with them. Like ports. Wii U ports.

Scrawnton

I’m curious what they will have before E3 next year that isn’t Yoshi and Kirby. I’ll be disappointed if that’s all we get from first party.

Publicity. Nintendo needs more than a couple of months to hype up the game after its initial announcement. There is only 8 months between now and last day of first half of the 2018, and it's not enough for Nintendo to have exposure for a big title. And I also thing we're nowhere near to next Nintendo direct.

Smaller stuff doesn't need big publicity though, that's why I believe first half will be filled with them. Like ports. Wii U ports.

June is halfway through the year. A couple of months isn't 6-7 months. They can announce a big game for May in January just like they announced Super Mario 3D World in June and released it later that year.

You don't know Nintendo if you don't think a Nintendo Direct isn't coming in December/January. We always get one.

They announced ARMS last year in January and it released before June.

Nintendo is really kickin' it this year. So many great first party games and a lot more are coming. This year alone destroys the Wii U in its whole life, it is really amazing how much they have changed in just one year.

Scrawnton

Nintendo is really kickin' it this year. So many great first party games and a lot more are coming. This year alone destroys the Wii U in its whole life, it is really amazing how they changed in just one year.
I think what we are seeing is a highly efficient and streamlined version of their engines and how the devs are able to push out HD games at a rapid pace. Nintendo has always been a well oiled and managed collection of development studios and I think the hurdle of HD held them up. I mean, look at the Wii U vs. the 3ds. Now that hd development is streamlined internally, they’re output will be insane.

Santar

I mean I hope they do, but they say this every single time and the results have been very unreliable to say the least when it comes to their previous consoles.

RobotVM

This time last year the only title we were aware was releasing on Switch was Breath of the Wild. So people shouldn't panic yet about their lineup. I think a lineup for Switch's 2nd year could look something like this:

February-Kirby
April- Yoshi
May- Pikmin 4
June- Super Smash Bros. 4.5
July- Animal Crossing Switch
August- Fire Emblem Switch
September- Mario Maker Switch
October- Retro Studios game
November- Bayonetta 3
December- 2D Zelda
February- Pokemon Gen 8

There will be surprises and curveballs but, I could see something like this for the Switch's 2nd year.

This list is as good as year 1.

What we assume for first party 2018:

Likely:

Yoshi
Kirby
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Smash
Pikmin
Wii U ports ( Bayo 2, Mario Maker, DKC, Star Fox Deluxe, or Paper Mario seem likely at some point)
New IP

Possible:

Pokemon
Metroid
Switch Sports or some other casual title.
Retro games
3ds HD Deluxe ports.
Cruising World Arcade
Gamecube + Wii HD remakes

Nintendo and consumers will be fine 1st party wise, they just need some big 3rd party titles. Nintendo also needs online multiplayer to justify launching the paid online service.

Scrawnton

I mean I hope they do, but they say this every single time and the results have been very unreliable to say the least when it comes to their previous consoles.
My only saving grace is this: Nintendo has a heck of a lot of studios that were spread across Wii U and 3ds. They’re currently no longer making 3ds games and haven’t been for a while so we must be in store for a huge 2018...

At least I hope..

Santar

My only saving grace is this: Nintendo has a heck of a lot of studios that were spread across Wii U and 3ds. They’re currently no longer making 3ds games and haven’t been for a while so we must be in store for a huge 2018...

At least I hope..

We can only hope and pray those 3ds studios won't be switched over to mobile games (shudder).

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I think Luigi's Mansion 3, Pikmin 4, Smash Bros and Retro Studio's game will be the main four games with Yoshi, Kirby and a couple of unannounced third party exclusives being the other four for 2018. Eight exclusives per year with a couple of remasters and very small budget games is the most I can see Nintendo outputting with the development teams they have.

Top Bottom