• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It's cool that they're adding male characters to the Phantom of the Kill international version. It's nice to see developers striving to be more inclusive.

I'm looking forward to this, along with Granblue Fantasy.
Yeaaaaaaah I know it's your thing, but the international release is just mirroring the Japan release as an advance on content updates.

garath

Man it's kind of tough navigating the Granblue fantasy game. I think I've succeeded in making a guest account and I'm in the tutorial I imagine. Going to have to see when I actually get to pull.

Yeaaaaaaah I know it's your thing, but the international release is just mirroring the Japan release as an advance on content updates.
Well the important thing is that it's happening. It's better that everyone will have access to the content anyway.

If it's a good game, and there's a good variety of characters for everybody, then all the better.

Very nice. I'm going to have to go through these. I think somehow I ended up with two 10 pulls? Maybe a SR, no SSR for sure.

First pull gives you some Robin-Hood wannabe guaranteed, then there's another prompt that also gives you a 10-pull with another random rare and a SR weapon.

The actual rerolling comes from the free crystal you get at day one of playing the game.

Refer to this for more details

Also get the free town pull that you get when you use this "code" (you first need to claim all the rewards for it to work).

XbvttNZ.jpg

--------

Also get the JDA gems (if you can still get them) by entering these codes.

- j5pa mkru 2vcx 4cr8.
- yrwg yv8m cck2 wcbf

In the gift redeem page.

Step 1
Step 2

--------

Welcome to reroll hell, enjoy your mind numbingly boring stay.

Azusa

Finally dropped PAD after several months of just logging in and decided to drop Final Fantasy Record Keeper too. FFRK is still fun but the hardest boss is the UI. I have spend more time trying to setup a party than killing a boss. It's so bad.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, no kidding. It's getting worse and worse as more characters, etc. are added to the game.

EN version sorely needs the UI update to hit. the QoL difference is night and day.

garath

I've pretty much dropped dragon blaze now. Currently only playing fantasy war tactics and seven knights. Though even seven knights is more of accomplishing small things rather than grind all day. Still login daily to chain chronicle. I play once in awhile.

I tried to do the Granblue fantasy jp version but I think I may just wait for the international. I really like to know what the buttons mean lol.

Phantom of the kill is still on the horizon. Though winter is a broad term.

Visceir

Terra Battle and FF: Brave Exvius have been two gacha games I've put a little more time into and it's very apparent that the games feature ways to easily break the game difficulty or get OP units that make any encounter a joke.

The other day I saw a video of FF: Brave Exvius where a player 1-shot the most difficult boss in the game. Meanwhile in Terra Battle you can make your skills trigger 100% of the time and cover the entire screen with AoE dmg.

Both games feature Metal zones/Vortexes where you can easily level your characters to max which trivializes whatever difficulty curve was naturally there.

Just wondering if all other gacha games are the same in this regard and how you all feel about this. Is it just something that comes with the territory of gacha games? Is it something you all are into?

Thinking back I definitely had more fun with the games before I hopped into the metal zones to level up my characters.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finally dropped PAD after several months of just logging in and decided to drop Final Fantasy Record Keeper too. FFRK is still fun but the hardest boss is the UI. I have spend more time trying to setup a party than killing a boss. It's so bad.

I thought FFRK would be one I played a long time, but I got bored pretty fast. Just not enough variety in the gamplay, and I didn't like how it seemed the game was built around closing and opening the app in order to finish hard encounters.

Terra Battle and FF: Brave Exvius have been two gacha games I've put a little more time into and it's very apparent that the games feature ways to easily break the game difficulty or get OP units that make any encounter a joke.

The other day I saw a video of FF: Brave Exvius where a player 1-shot the most difficult boss in the game. Meanwhile in Terra Battle you can make your skills trigger 100% of the time and cover the entire screen with AoE dmg.

Both games feature Metal zones/Vortexes where you can easily level your characters to max which trivializes whatever difficulty curve was naturally there.

Just wondering if all other gacha games are the same in this regard and how you all feel about this. Is it just something that comes with the territory of gacha games? Is it something you all are into?

Thinking back I definitely had more fun with the games before I hopped into the metal zones to level up my characters.

Is this really because of the fact that you can grind EXP though? I've only played Terra Battle so I can't speak for FF:BE but I personally didn't really see anything wrong with the Metal Zones. I felt like the progress of my team was paced rather well between the story chapters and I was always challanged whenever I tried the next level (being only annoyed by Chapters like the one where a Gravity user is required).
MZ's were a nice way for me to let my new units catch up to my old party and because of the level limit I could never break the game by making it too easy.

I'd reckon that the dificulty actually lies in getting the OP units in the first place. Which makes it so that people with a large roster of characters can easily complete all the hard content.

Personally I'm not really into all the min maxing, there's this "game breaking" thing going on right now in Chain Chronicle where you can effectively grind unlimited EXP and Revives/Stamina but I haven't abused it a lot. There are also a bunch of games where I just roll for good looking cards, School Idol Festival and Starlight Stage for example.

I can see why others would like to deal a million damage in one turn though, most of these games market towards a playerbase that wants the best possible party setup after all.

Clearos

I have been having a blast with Brave Cross.

The combat can be autoed but also has some advantages to playing manually during boss fights and currently the game gives out gems at a decent rate that you don't have to throw money at it to be competitive.

There is enough to do in the game but it also has limits so you don't need to spend every second on the game. I bang out a majority of the stuff out in the morning and just check periodically while at home.
4_brave_cross.jpg

-Long campaign
-Daily guild battles
-Daily raid bosses
-Fun Combat
-Can farm mats when stamina is available at this time there are no daily events that NEED to be done to get upgrade mats.

ReaperXL7

Only ones I'm currently playing anymore with much regularity are

Fantasy War Tactics

fantasy-war-tactics3.jpg

Which I'm really enjoying because it's a really solid SRPG in which the gameplay actually requires thought and planning if you want to get SS ranks on each map. I have also been pretty impressed with how Nexon have adapted to player feedback in positive ways and has made it even better in many ways.

Chromatic Souls:

VWgIYKK6D6OkYXgneY3S6vU1dn3Sqz6niEdZihps1TcZSxFoZBq2s7YiPxGf9BsjGQ=h900

This one took me by surprise friday because gamevile games are really hit or miss for me but but I love the combat as it's very reminiscent of first person dungeon crawlers and they are pretty generous up front by giving you enough crystals to buy two additional heroes (there are 3 of each class tank/healer/dps). There is quite a bit of depth in how you choose to equip your classes with various skills and equipment. The gatcha element is light because you only really roll on skill scrolls and equipment but both are available from just playing.

And I tried getting back into monster strike but they stopped giving out gems to new players for playing multiplayer which bummed me out.

I'm really interested in Gran Blue and Brave Exivus but who knows when they are coming.

commish

I have been having a blast with Brave Cross.

The combat can be autoed but also has some advantages to playing manually during boss fights and currently the game gives out gems at a decent rate that you don't have to throw money at it to be competitive.

There is enough to do in the game but it also has limits so you don't need to spend every second on the game. I bang out a majority of the stuff out in the morning and just check periodically while at home.

-Long campaign
-Daily guild battles
-Daily raid bosses
-Fun Combat
-Can farm mats when stamina is available at this time there are no daily events that NEED to be done to get upgrade mats.

My problem with this game is that it seems just like Heroes Charge, which I did love and play for months. It's just not something I want to start over and do again, haha. It does seem cool tho.

Chromatic Souls seems interesting. I'll give it a try later.

Oh yeah I was going to give Love Live a try and I can't remember why I didn't...

*tries it, game errors out with some Japanese warning, probably anti-rooting*

Oh yeah... that's why. Sigh... Japanese games sure are terrible about that. Worst thing is? My phone is in this weird rooted/not rooted state where I don't have a super user app, and can't install one so I don't have the benefits AND I can't install it because I need SU to do so.

ReaperXL7

My problem with this game is that it seems just like Heroes Charge, which I did love and play for months. It's just not something I want to start over and do again, haha. It does seem cool tho.

Chromatic Souls seems interesting. I'll give it a try later.

It's pretty good so far, story is pretty generic at this point but I'm enjoying the gameplay.

If you start it you'll get 4 heroes when you start (the ones shown in that pic Tank, Sorceress, Cleric,Rogue. Then you'll get enough gems to pick two from the rest I chose Paladin and illusionist. You can use the gems for Skills and equipment but I recommend having at least six classes for boss raids and expeditions. I really like how you can customize each class with a good variety of different skills and gear and the combat has some depth

Here are the most of the classes

wXXNo3Isfo-pLUqg0NmHkei5cYtNQY1AzkY0hQznFMJz_cC7fo43w8FOn6kRg8QmwGMnlJipIfzLAzxmU1Ih4tA

In the middle is the knight(tank) then from left to right you have the rogue(dps) Berserker(dps) Cleric(healer) illusionist(Mage) Scout (dps) Druid (healer) Sorceress(Mage) Paladin (tank) there are two others not shown there which are the Reaver ( Female warrior tank) and the Warlock (Mage)

Some of the classes can fill multiple roles, Paladins can use some basic healing skills illusionists excel at buffs and debuffs but can use some dps magic. Some skills are exclusive to specific classes though as Cleric is the only one who can use the (Holy) resurrection Druid has a Rez also but it falls under the nature skills.

commish

It's pretty good so far, story is pretty generic at this point but I'm enjoying the gameplay.

Story? In 99% of the games I play, I hammer the skip button so fast any time any story element comes up, haha. Honestly the *only* game where I paid attention to the story is Fantasy War Tactics. Of course, I don't mean to include normal RPGs.

garath

If you start it you'll get 4 heroes when you start (the ones shown in that pic Tank, Sorceress, Cleric,Rogue. Then you'll get enough gems to pick two from the rest I chose Paladin and illusionist. You can use the gems for Skills and equipment but I recommend having at least six classes for boss raids and expeditions. I really like how you can customize each class with a good variety of different skills and gear and the combat has some depth

Here are the most of the classes

wXXNo3Isfo-pLUqg0NmHkei5cYtNQY1AzkY0hQznFMJz_cC7fo43w8FOn6kRg8QmwGMnlJipIfzLAzxmU1Ih4tA

In the middle is the knight(tank) then from left to right you have the rogue(dps) Berserker(dps) Cleric(healer) illusionist(Mage) Scout (dps) Druid (healer) Sorceress(Mage) Paladin (tank) there are two others not shown there which are the Reaver ( Female warrior tank) and the Warlock (Mage)

Some of the classes can fill multiple roles, Paladins can use some basic healing skills illusionists excel at buffs and debuffs but can use some dps magic. Some skills are exclusive to specific classes though as Cleric is the only one who can use the (Holy) resurrection Druid has a Rez also but it falls under the nature skills.

Any rerolling involved or is it safe to immediately log into hive?

ReaperXL7

Any rerolling involved or is it safe to immediately log into hive?

No need to reroll on anything, like I said you'll get stones to pick two additional classes outside of the base 4 and those are largely going to be dependent on which ones you want most as they each have strengths and weaknesses.

I picked Paladin and illusionist but all of them are completely viable.I suppose if I had to pick again I may have switched illusionist for Druid so I could have two balanced teams but I really only use my second team to farm expeditions.

The main Gatcha is for class skills and equipment but you'll get a ton of both just from playing tbh

K.Sabot

I've tried many, but none have grabbed me thankfully.

Maybe once one of these has actually fun gameplay I might get caught up on it for a spell. So far the best they've gotten is "2007 era flash game RPG" level of gameplay so they've got a long way to go.

garath

No need to reroll on anything, like I said you'll get stones to pick two additional classes outside of the base 4 and those are largely going to be dependent on which ones you want most as they each have strengths and weaknesses.

I picked Paladin and illusionist but all of them are completely viable.I suppose if I had to pick again I may have switched illusionist for Druid so I could have two balanced teams but I really only use my second team to farm expeditions.

The main Gatcha is for class skills and equipment but you'll get a ton of both just from playing tbh

Hmm. Does seem like maybe you'd want to reroll for good skills but I have no idea what's good and what's not other than rarity. Too late for me anyways. Linked it to my hive.

I like the game so far though. Has an old school phantasy star rpg combat feel.

Edit: when do you get to unlock the two characters?

commish

Hmm. Does seem like maybe you'd want to reroll for good skills but I have no idea what's good and what's not other than rarity. Too late for me anyways. Linked it to my hive.

Ugh I didnt' want to play another but you can't say "phantasy star rpg combat feel"!

ReaperXL7

Not really, some skills are interchangeable between a couple of classes, some are specific but each will have little pictures of which classes can learn that skill in its description.

The FP(I think friend point) draw can get you up to rank three skills, and the diamond pull can get you up to max which I believe is 5 but you can upgrade each skill individually. It seems like you will want to swap around skills from time to time as different monsters have different element weakness/buffs and debuffs/ etc

Also make sure you check your mail box and there will be a bunch of extra stuff in it for you. You'll get the 50 you need from that and then by the time you clear the first zone you'll have the 100 you need for your second choice

garath

Ugh I didnt' want to play another but you can't say "phantasy star rpg combat feel"!

Lol! Sorry :) that's the first thing I thought of. The downside is no auto battle that I can see. That may kill a phone game for me :(

Not really, some skills are interchangeable between a couple of classes, some are specific but each will have little pictures of which classes can learn that skill in its description.

The FP(I think friend point) draw can get you up to rank three skills, and the diamond pull can get you up to max which I believe is 5 but you can upgrade each skill individually. It seems like you will want to swap around skills from time to time as different monsters have different element weakness/buffs and debuffs/ etc

Also make sure you check your mail box and there will be a bunch of extra stuff in it for you. You'll get the 50 you need from that and then by the time you clear the first zone you'll have the 100 you need for your second choice

Ahh I see. Yeah. Guess I need to put some thought into my characters.

commish

Lol! Sorry :) that's the first thing I thought of. The downside is no auto battle that I can see. That may kill a phone game for me :(

Yup, no auto battle means I don't play. There's just no way I can keep up with these games otherwise. As I type I am burning through a few hundred dragon blaze shoes on auto. It is nice :)

Azusa

Kai-ri-sei Million Arthur – RPG sequel launches in Singapore and Malaysia!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eyedentity.ksmaen
https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/kai-ri-sei-million-arthur/id1046765287?mt=8

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oQWEOVNrvQ
A mobile strategy battle RPG, Kai-ri-sei Million Arthur is the sequel to the immensely popular and successful Kaku-San-Sei Million Arthur, developed by Japanese studio Square Enix.

Riding on the success of its predecessor, this new addition to the Million Arthur series features strengthened RPG elements such as real-time 4-player cooperative multiplayer and deep strategic and character development. Since its official release in Japan, China, and Korea, Kai-ri-sei Million Arthur has achieved massive popularity, with over 12 million downloads in these countries.

I have played it a bit (jp ver.) and liked it a lot more than the first game. I wont have time for this.

h0tp0ck3t

Thanks for the posts about Bloodline I'm totally hooked on that now. Anyone else playing I could use some active friends
001 003 63884 ign is Mike (cause I'm not paying 100 gems to change it lol)

bjork

Last few days for Initial D content in Drift Spirits, folks. I managed to beat everyone in all their powered-up versions, but it keeps repeating with even harder versions. I think I'm on loop 3, and it's nuts. But they've added a bunch of stuff to buy during this event with real money... wheels, make-specific car orders, etc. I don't like that so much, but I've managed to say at $0 spent so far. It's fun and it's in quick bursts. Perfect to play when you're supposed to be working.

desverger

Chromatic Souls took me by a total surprise too. The last Gamevil game I played was Dungeon Link, and it got real grindy on you real fast - so you can imagine my surprise when I picked up a f2p rpg that actually doesn't require you to grind.

There are a lot of positives in the game, for example portrait orientation and turn-based combat, but so far the best feature in the game is definitely expeditions - which are basically time slots where you assign your characters.

The trick here is that by completing expeditions, you can farm for resources like gold, enhance materials and whatever you want without actually grinding with autobattle like you normally would in these kind of games.

This choice has also allowed them to eliminate autobattle and have some actual thought and strategy behind the actual battles you want to fight.

Oh, and since stamina is character based, you can have your A-team doing the actual content and B-team doing the farming for you - while playing the game!

There are a lot of smart design choices in the game, which I definitely didn't expect from a Gamevil game lol.

I think you add friends by username, so anyone playing this add me up with the name "Kettle". I'm on the global server.

garath

Chromatic Souls took me by a total surprise too. The last Gamevil game I played was Dungeon Link, and it got real grindy on you real fast - so you can imagine my surprise when I picked up a f2p rpg that actually doesn't require you to grind.

There are a lot of positives in the game, for example portrait orientation and turn-based combat, but so far the best feature in the game is definitely expeditions - which are basically time slots where you assign your characters.

The trick here is that by completing expeditions, you can farm for resources like gold, enhance materials and whatever you want without actually grinding with autobattle like you normally would in these kind of games.

This choice has also allowed them to eliminate autobattle and have some actual thought and strategy behind the actual battles you want to fight.

Oh, and since stamina is character based, you can have your A-team doing the actual content and B-team doing the farming for you - while playing the game!

There are a lot of smart design choices in the game, which I definitely didn't expect from a Gamevil game lol.

I think you add friends by username, so anyone playing this add me up with the name "Kettle". I'm on the global server.

Nice. I'm still playing here and there. I like your philosophy on the auto battle with the expeditions replacing that.

Gonna load it up again right now. I'm garath I think. Will send you an invite.

What two characters did you opt for? So far I've only gotten the druid. Can't decide the second.

Kai-ri-sei Million Arthur – RPG sequel launches in Singapore and Malaysia!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eyedentity.ksmaen
https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/kai-ri-sei-million-arthur/id1046765287?mt=8

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oQWEOVNrvQ

I have played it a bit (jp ver.) and liked it a lot more than the first game. I wont have time for this.

That's neat. Good luck to anyone starting that, first few months are a bit rough till they make rerolling easier and add a lot of quality of life changes, along with knight medals.

desverger

Nice. I'm still playing here and there. I like your philosophy on the auto battle with the expeditions replacing that.

What two characters did you opt for? So far I've only gotten the druid. Can't decide the second.

Got your friend invite. Sorry for the late reply :)

I bought the Reaver and the Scout as my first two characters. I kinda wanted a second tank, and it was a tossup between the Reaver and Paladin. In retrospect, the Pally is probably the better tank but dunno by how much.

The Scout is a really useful dps/heal hybrid who can proc multistrike quite often and pop heal and damage at the same time (and gain a bonus from doing that). She doesn't replace a real healer, so I'm still using the cleric for bosses and raids, but does make the regular stages a lot faster.

At the time of writing, I already have 700 gems though and planning my next characters.Granted, I did buy the "20 gems a day" deal for 2,99€ but the game is real generous with giving gems out from achievements and such. Anyway, probably gonna buy the Illusionist next, so I can have someone who can use spirit spells and toss the occasional buff.

ReaperXL7

Yeah, the expeditions really are solid at doing what an auto battle would normally do while allowing the dead to keep the stages challenging and require some thought. They are very similar to expeditions in fantasy war tactics expect you upgrade them by getting further into the game instead of using gems to upgrade.

Got your friend invite. Sorry for the late reply :)

I bought the Reaver and the Scout as my first two characters. I kinda wanted a second tank, and it was a tossup between the Reaver and Paladin. In retrospect, the Pally is probably the better tank but dunno by how much.

The Scout is a really useful dps/heal hybrid who can proc multistrike quite often and pop heal and damage at the same time (and gain a bonus from doing that). She doesn't replace a real healer, so I'm still using the cleric for bosses and raids, but does make the regular stages a lot faster.

At the time of writing, I already have 700 gems though and planning my next characters.Granted, I did buy the "20 gems a day" deal for 2,99€ but the game is real generous with giving gems out from achievements and such. Anyway, probably gonna buy the Illusionist next, so I can have someone who can use spirit spells and toss the occasional buff.

I agree with this between this and FWT I've been pleasantly surprised by the generosity and response to community feedback.

I added both of you, account name Logain, leader is a lvl 30 paladin, I need to add Gaf to my message at some point.

My first two picks were Paladin and Illusionist. I love paladin because He's a real solid tank and he has plenty of healing and support magic that helps a lot for protecting the rest of the team. Illusionist has a a lot of great buffs and debufss and that's been helpful. The only change I might have made is taking Druid over illusionist to have two balanced teams but I have no really complaints with my main team right now which is Paladin/Cleric/illusionist.

I really only use my second team for expedition farming

desverger

I added both of you, account name Logain, leader is a lvl 30 paladin, I need to add Gaf to my message at some point.

My first two picks were Paladin and Illusionist. I love paladin because He's a real solid tank and he has plenty of healing and support magic that helps a lot for protecting the rest of the team. Illusionist has a a lot of great buffs and debufss and that's been helpful. The only change I might have made is taking Druid over illusionist to have two balanced teams but I have no really complaints with my main team right now which is Paladin/Cleric/illusionist.

I really only use my second team for expedition farming

Just added you back. I'm gonna give your paladin a try :)

It's not impossible to think that one would have all the characters at some point. I guess they'll add more though.

The only characters I might not considering buying at the moment are the Berserker (too much like the rogue), Warlock (Wizard seems better for elemental damage and shadow spells don't seem that great atm) and maybe the Mystic, since she's a pure healer/buffer with almost no damage abilities to learn.

ReaperXL7

One of the many things I really like about Chromatic Souls is that you really have to pay attention to buffs and debuffs on your party and the monsters. I wasn't in the beginning because I underestimated the possible depth the game might have (most of the gamevil games I have played have been more about grind then depth or strategy) but picking the right skills for different fights can be very important in this.

In around the third set of stages you'll have monsters that will cast abilities that will one shot just about everyone but the tank so if you don't have dispel (base skill for cleric)or Salvation (Rez) you'll lose party members very easily. You also have to pay attention to when enemies shield themselves because if you attack while its active you'll just burn through your best dmg skills but do no damage. also important to keep an eye on which party member has aggro as if you get too aggressive with the wrong party member they can take a decent beating.

I finally got Devotion for my Cleric which is a nice group heal that last a few turns but has a long cool down so now I just need to get Salvation for her so I can Rez.

I was also incorrect earlier when I said Druid had a different rez as her and the cleric both use Salvation but they are the only two who can.

commish

I decided to download and try Star Wars: Galaxies of Heroes.

Welp, I guess I have my 3rd game to rotate on my phone, despite the fact that 3 games is really too much for me.

Here's the trailer:

https://youtu.be/ILVQ-Ly392Y

desverger

Having a lot of fun experimenting with different skill setups in Chromatic Souls.

Some of my favourites:

Tank with Invincible, Revenge and Gust: Aoe tank with a crazy damage potential. Invincible helps to tank those bosses too.
Illusionist with Schizophrenia and Copy: Just bring your whale friends to a dungeon and copy their skills, best used on a mage or lock. Use Schizophrenia first to debuff for even more damage!
Ranger with Multistrike and Rapid Shot. Do 4x basic attacks in one turn!

Dandte

Had some fun with chronomatic Souls, will definitely continue to play it for a month but i really need a game like monster strike or puzzle and dragons. :/ I love the artstyle of pad but i hate it, to be behind of everyone else.

I'm thinking about downloading Kai-Ri-Sei Million Arthur from the singapore appstore.

Top Bottom