• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's important to recognize how the last few days will affect the forum long term

Compsiox

Banned
I've been a member here for a while and would say that I'm a pretty avid poster.

I found neogaf by seeing it sourced in articles and hearing about how developers and reps liked to come discuss games with the people who play them.

It felt good knowing that so many people in the industry were here to discuss games, but now with everything that has happened, I feel that gaf will no longer see that. It's going to be missing a big part that made it unique and allowed it to be influential in the industry. Developers and reps may be fearful of the public perception and no longer mention neogaf.

I'm going to stick around but this was a big deal to me as a poster. Not necessarily the influence but just interacting with those in the industry.

I can't really see this changing in the future.

I've been a member here for a while and would say that I'm a pretty avid poster.

I found neogaf by seeing it sourced in articles and hearing about how developers and reps liked to come discuss games with the people who play them.

It felt good knowing that so many people in the industry were here to discuss games, but now with everything that has happened, I feel that gaf will no longer see that. It's going to be missing a big part that made it unique and allowed it to be influential in the industry. Developers and reps may be fearful of the public perception and no longer mention neogaf.

I'm going to stick around but this was a big deal to me as a poster. Not necessarily the influence but just interacting with those in the industry.

I can't really see this changing in the future.

Neogaf will be a gaming forum no longer the gaming forum. Devs and insiders had already mostly abandoned it and given the current situation probably won't be back. Who stays, who goes and what direction moderation will lead this place to remains to be seen. But it's status is all but lost.

DogDude

There were next to no devs left thanks to what off topic became. Now that it's gone I'd say that aspect may actually improve longterm.

ViolentP

GAF will be fine. It just pivoted it's direction. For better or worse is yet to be known. But with the behavior some are demonstrating in their departure, I'm leaning towards the former.

border

As of October 1, what people in the game industry were really still actively posting here? I can think of one guy who spent most of his time in the OT anyhow.

Foshy

everyone who actually made valuable contribuitions is leaving and only the tunnel vision “bu-bu-bu i just wanna talk gaaaaaaames” ppl are staying, and they aren’t gonna be the ones keeping the high level of discourse up. no, the site isn’t gonna be the same. it’s dead and rightfully so.

fuck you evilore.

Compsiox

Banned
As of October 1, what people in the game industry were really still actively posting here? I can think of one guy who spent most of his time in the OT anyhow.

I mean there were a few but that's better than devs never posting on here ever again.

Developers and reps may be fearful of the public perception and no longer mention neogaf.

You say this like the well isn't already poisoned. If so many people are committing account suicides bc they don't want to be associated with Evilore, then what makes you think developers and companies will want to? Especially with their bottom line at stake.

You're right. I just felt the politics from ot crossing over when people dog piled on shinobi for liking a game.

I noticed the transition in gaming before I saw it in OT starting with Gamergate. That's not OT's or even GAF in generals fault GG happened, but the discussions happened there first.

Compsiox

Banned
You say this like the well isn't already poisoned. If so many people are committing account suicides bc they don't want to be associated with Evilore, then what makes you think developers and companies will want to? Especially with their bottom line at stake.

I'm saying they won't. Also long term means even after all of this blows over.

I'm saying they won't. Also long term means even after all of this blows over.

And just like Evilore's history being brought up over and over back then (and promptly banned and locked), it'll continue to be brought up.

I really don't know if this site will be back to what it was even after all of this is gone.

Trey

I imagine the accuser is going to get sued for libel big time.

she never specifically named evilore, and her actions to hide her facebook directly in the aftermath are consistent with her claims that she never wanted this to blow up like it did. if anything, evilore's comments in the waypoint article are salacious and aggressive, which will make it pretty difficult to prove that the accuser was misrepresenting him or the situation at hand.

He can certainly try, but I don't see much of a libel case for him.

The strength of NeoGAF to me is the crowdsourcing of video game news. Generally I know what is going on in gaming before my buds who don't read gaf. Plus the discussion here is usually pretty insightful and, at the very least, entertaining. While I understand your point, I feel like the amount of times a develop has revealed something huge on GAF can be counted on two hands. I just want NeoGAF to be the first place I check for video game news when I wake up in the morning, so hopefully the "ban me" craze will die down in a few days.

Apath

she never specifically named evilore, and her actions to hide her facebook directly in the aftermath are consistent with her claims that she never wanted this to blow up like it did. if anything, evilore's comments in the waypoint article are salacious and aggressive, which will make it pretty difficult to prove that the accuser was misrepresenting him or the situation at hand.

She did specifically name Evilore, though by the pseudonym and not by his real name.

Compsiox

Banned

Is a username clearly associated with a person not good enough?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I just hope there are still people posting threads for all of the breaking game news every day. As long as that still happens and people still discuss it, I think we'll be alright.

Very few devs liked gaf. I don't think they will return, but you are oblivious if you think they loved this place

Makes sense, it's a forum full of passionate consumers. If you're a dev it's not going to be a fun environment unless you're lucky enough to work on great game or have thick skin.

I never saw NeoGAF as being particularly toxic to devs. Look at discussions about crunch. Look at creative threads like the GAF Collection. GAF was a shark pool for sure, but there was also plenty of people clearly passionate about games.

TLZ

Banned
So why did you feel the urge to post this off topic post in the gaming discussion section?

Please spare us this bullshit. I'm not here for this.

Can the mods please keep the gaming discussion forum clean of this rubbish?

Compsiox

Banned
So why did you feel the urge to post this off topic post in the gaming discussion section?

Take a look around bucko.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It’s just all incredibly disappointing. You’re right, OP. No devs will touch GAF with a barge pole. There’ll be no insider information.

Already it feels like just other gaming forum. I’ll see how it plays out over the next couple of weeks.

Bishop89

He should have posted it in O.... Oh wait

Yes and? We need more rubbish contaminating this GAMING forum? Is that your philosophy?

I'm out.

Modbot, please close.

More and more posts and threads are starting to look like this... If you think this is how you get the forum back on topic and moving forward, you're wrong. All you're doing is stirring shit up. If you don't like the topic, as always you can leave and not reply to it. If you think it violates the rules, report it... But take your back seat moderation out of here.

Megatron

The strength of NeoGAF to me is the crowdsourcing of video game news. Generally I know what is going on in gaming before my buds who don't read gaf. Plus the discussion here is usually pretty insightful and, at the very least, entertaining. While I understand your point, I feel like the amount of times a develop has revealed something huge on GAF can be counted on two hands. I just want NeoGAF to be the first place I check for video game news when I wake up in the morning, so hopefully the "ban me" craze will die down in a few days.

I agree with this completely. To get my gaming news I went from 1uo to joystick to gaf. At the moment it's hard to think gaf will get back to what it was. Maybe the new site the former mods are making will be the new destination, I don't know. I didnt enjoy the twitter comments this weekend, reading all the hatred this site has built up in the minds of some over the years. I guess we will see what will happen.

Compsiox

Banned
Have a good day/night guys. I don't know when I'll post again.

Thanks for taking the time to read my concerns.

SpokkX

This is a valid point, will this make neogaf less influential? it bet it WILL, but by how much? Time will tell guess

At least real competition is suddenly here. I will give the new forums a try (resetera and opencritic forums seems like the ones to watch) but I will also not leave neogaf as long as the gaming forum still delivers good news

If it is just haven for 4 chan and Reddit then yes, it will go down hill. Ignorant people ruin everything. It will spread here, that's why proper discourse and proper moderation were things I valued. I doubt that will continue now that Evilore is outed.

GAF is dead. This piece of shit had to apologise and step down, instead he accused victim of lying. I cant believe there is people, who are still want to stay after this.

Top Bottom