• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

Gestault

Do we have any correlation for the menu/loading stutter between SSDs and standard HDDs? I actually installed this on my standard hard drive instead of the SSD, and I haven't seen menu stuttering in an amount worth mentioning.

Every game should copy Assetto Corsa and provide a "factory" setting for assists.

I've wanted this since almost the start of the series. It seems like it would be such a small change in terms of dev effort, but it could really bolster the sense of authenticity (without messing with starter players, since it's a toggle).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Do we have any correlation for the menu/loading stutter between SSDs and standard HDDs? I actually installed this on my standard hard drive instead of the SSD, and I haven't seen menu stuttering in an amount worth mentioning.

I've wanted this since almost the start of the series. It seems like it would be such a small change in terms of dev effort, but it could really bolster the sense of authenticity (without messing with starter players, since it's a toggle).

Mine is on a standard hard drive and stutters

I have an SSD and the menu drops to around 36fps and stutters. Racing is fine. In fact I can get 200% resolution @4k and hit 60fps while racing, though I don't think it's reliable as particle effects near the camera always hurts fps in 4k in pretty much every game I've played. Something that people should be aware of. That , or there's something up with my PC.
Hopefully the menu isn't this bad in the full game as it looks like pretty much no one on PC has a good, stable menu.

JamboGT

Agreed. Isn't the real life default ABS ON, TCS ON, Traction Control ON for any car post 1990 though?

Well obviously most sports cars have different options however let's say they do have all those things on. Every vehicle would have it tuned for that vehicle.

TC on for a ford fiesta is not the same as TC on for a Civic Type R for example.

Just as a comparison FH3 performs really well now. This is the worst area and most of the time I'm into the 80s on i7 930. Before this was an erratic 40-60fps slide show zone.

OW4c.jpg

So there are issues in the demo. I hope they are only in the demo. For example, I'm at 175% resolution scale@4k. In the menu with the driver standing by the cars the fps is around 41, GPU is around 98% and one of my cpu's is at 100%. For some reason selecting the Dubai track leads to it simply not loading. I waited for a good 5 minutes and nothing. It has loaded before but not at this res scale.
In the race at the beginning when the camera swoops by the car the fps is around 40. When it begins (and I assume when the lod of the cars have been changed) it's fine. At 175%@4K I still only use 75% to 80% of my GPU. And it looks like my cpu's are being used fairly equally. I did have one case of slow down on the Nurb rain race near the end at the coca cola corner for some reason.
Also HDR works and I'm not a windows insider.
And of course the auto widescreen bug. I have to press alt+enter during the Turn 10 logo. If I let the game do it it always CtD's.

I'm looking forward to the game but as is often the case with PC games there are issues.

Clockwork

So there are issues in the demo. I hope they are only in the demo. For example, I'm at 175% resolution scale@4k. In the menu with the driver standing by the cars the fps is around 41, GPU is around 98% and one of my cpu's is at 100%. For some reason selecting the Dubai track leads to it simply not loading. I waited for a good 5 minutes and nothing. It has loaded before but not at this res scale.
In the race at the beginning when the camera swoops by the car the fps is around 40. When it begins (and I assume when the lod of the cars have been changed) it's fine. At 175%@4K I still only use 75% to 80% of my GPU. And it looks like my cpu's are being used fairly equally. I did have one case of slow down on the Nurb rain race near the end at the coca cola corner for some reason.
And of course the auto widescreen bug. I have to press alt+enter during the Turn 10 logo. If I let the game do it it always CtD's.

I'm looking forward to the game but as is often the case with PC games there are issues.

Lol@ 175% resolution scale at 4k.

I mean I understand your concern but come on...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How can I get more resolutions besides 1080, 1400p and 4k?

Wouldn't mind trying it at 1800p for improved performance

This may help regarding the inability to load at times.

Lol@ 175% resolution scale at 4k.

I mean I understand your concern but come on...
The races are fine, which is the most important bit. It's the menu that is particularly bad as well as Dubai race simply refusing to load. And as my GPU is only at 80% max there shouldn't really be any frame drops. I think when it did was a bit of an anomaly. It's the menu and the Dubai race refusing to load which hurts the experience. And the CtD when the game auto fullscreens (which was an issue in FH3 too). Otherwise everything else is absolutely fine. And it could be that in the full game these issues are not a problem. I'm hopeful.

JapeMincers

I've downloaded this on PC but at the title screen it keeps asking me to sign in to my Microsoft account and I don't want to. Is there any way around this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aside from the performance issues on PC, does anyone find the demo making them less likely to pick up the full game - eg issues with handling or AI etc?

Izuna

Banned
How is the framepacing without Vsync? Any framerate locks in-game?

RTSS suitable? I want to target 73hz when I get back home today.

Okay I'm not sure how to use RTSS with the demo as I can't get to the exe of the demo (I'm not allowed access). So does the RTSS cfg just supposed to work in the background?

Bydobob

How is the framepacing without Vsync? Any framerate locks in-game?

RTSS suitable? I want to target 73hz when I get back home today.

With or without VSync it's fine when you cap with RTSS. To get 72fps (assume you have 144Hz monitor) set to 60fps VSync in game menu.

Okay I'm not sure how to use RTSS with the demo as I can't get to the exe of the demo (I'm not allowed access). So does the RTSS cfg just supposed to work in the background?

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-access-windowsapps-folder-in-windows-10/

Although you don't need access to Windows Apps folder to use RTSS.

Controls terribly with my G25 on PC, turning is too slow, its like the wheels turn at a third of the radius they should. Car also wobbles a lot. Tweaked some settings like toggling ABS, break lock, wheel turn radius and other wheel settings and still feels shitty. Tried both the Porsche and the Nissan.

Went and played some Project Cars on Steam again to see its not my wheel, feels like a dream without messing with settings.

I had the same problem with a G920 and Forza 6 on an X1 back when that came out too. Forza with a wheel just doesn't feel right to me even though GT and Project Cars do.

Anybody here have some good Controller pre-sets because I'm struggling to keep the cars in a straight line.

So it's not just me.

Gek54

This is why there is only one manufacturer that still makes a rear engine car. Most people can't drive them properly.

Neo 007

Anybody here have some good Controller pre-sets because I'm struggling to keep the cars in a straight line.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
This is why there is only one manufacturer that still makes a rear engine car. Most people can't drive them properly.

Ferraris and Lambos have front engine now? and i can drive rear engine cars on AC, PC1, rFactor2 and R3E. so they all have bad physics while F7 is accurate? plus no matter the circunstances, the car always spins the same way, like a "scripted spin"

This is funny :) maybe it's just better to acknowledge physics exists rather than trying to engineer around it? :)

Most people put engines in the front because that's the best place to put them.

Could you explain how to drive a rear engined car "properly" ?

Izuna

Banned
With or without VSync it's fine when you cap with RTSS. To get 72fps (assume you have 144Hz monitor) set to 60fps VSync in game menu.

I do also have a 144hz monitor, but I am really targeting 73fps because I have a Gsync 75hz on the laptop.

I fucking hate Vsync for input lag, so I hope RTSS doesn't cause issues like it did in FH3. Regardless, I can't wait.

Well I've solved my PC performance issues. It was the Crashplan background service. Even though it wasn't backing anything up it was the reasons for my low framerates, stutter and slow track loading. If I disable it the game is smooth as butter at 1440p60.

Just seen the "caution ahead" warning for the very first time. Was doing the wet race and a car ahead of me spun out.

After F1 2017 being the only racing game I've played for a looping time, getting used to driving not so beastly cars took me all of one race to get used to without any assists.

The dusty, low grip track and high power car mean you can barely go full throttle and have to be careful round the corners.

But that's just this car, with this setup, on this track.

Also, how in the world do people play racing games without rumble triggers? The direct, unambiguous feedback about what you are doing to the tyres during acceleration/braking is invaluable imo.

Yeah I just ran 2 laps on my controller and I cut 2 seconds off my wheel time.

Dont wanna question your skill level but its very controlabe with traction and stability control on.

The only setting that even made a real difference was changing steering to normal instead of simulation. But that's not a change I would make during regular play.

Maybe its your play style? Are you feathering the gas or slamming it down?

I play with sim steering also and didnt have any issue with the handling once I turned those assist on.

Also the road isnt level in many locations heading into turns, if you aren't hitting the apex correctly it can fuck you up.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah I just ran 2 laps on my controller and I cut 2 seconds off my wheel time.

Dont wanna question your skill level but its very controlabe with traction and stability control on.

everything off or burst, like in every "supposed to be" sims.

Top Bottom