• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game currently in your possession?

I bought Rumble Roses XX years ago for the T&A.
Even though the girls looked really good, the actual gameplay was really stiff/clunky and was just overall super boring. That'd be my my pick.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Probably Anarchy Reigns - i tried to enjoy it, but it's such a dud with high expectations. I was looking forward to it too.

I threw away Hellgate London and STALKER Clear Sky

ShodanMAN

Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

So infuriatingly bad, not to mention an early look at David Cage's distiurbing and questionable decisions as a game designer.

Probably Final Fantasy XII, but that's a very personal opinion.

You’re a bad boy, aren’t you?

No hard feelings. (I love that game.)

—

A couple real purchases come to mind. (I also have a small handful of games from my reviewing days for a small PC game site, and those sometimes sucked, but they don’t count as games I intentionally own.)

1, LOST (PS3). In my defense it cost me $2. However, I still gambled thinking I might somehow enjoy it. Rest assured, even as a huge LOST fan and someone who even admits the game has pretty nice graphics, that I find this game to be horrendous on every essential level.

Side note, it has Sawyer voiced by some random guy, sounding like the rapists from Deliverance. (It DOES have some real LOST actors in key roles.)

2, Frank Herbert’s Dune (PC). This was an impulse buy before I knew about Internet reviews and, like, the first time I had money I earned transfer this could freely spend on a video game. It looked interesting, and I love the source material, not to mention that classic Dune 2 (the innovative RTS from Westwood).

This game is absolutely inane on every level. Jesus. I’m not even a guy who likes to criticize stuff. But I mean wow, what the hell?! I don’t even know how to describe the genre, it’s so utterly generic.

—

Over the past couple of generations I’ve generally geek careful about buying fairly highly rated games, so honestly ending up with actual bad games is not that likely. Disappointing, sure. Mediocre, sometimes. Overrated, yes. But not actually bad.

With one more exception.

3, Assassin’s Creed 3 (X360). Motherfucker, this game was actually bad. Story, not good as a finale. Main story missions, both awfully linear and shockingly buggy somehow. Main character, not a pleasant fellow to find oneself controlling. Side content, totally run of the mill.

Worst of all, it squandered the American revolution by presenting it amateurishly. That’s a horrible sin (which they reportedly repeated with Unity, which was supposed to cover the French Revolution, probably the most interesting piece of history EVER).

Yeah, normally reviewers are more or less okay in my book... but AC3 is not an 80s game. Come on.

Garnox

Man, I must not be too picky because I’ve yet to play a game where I absolutely just hated it and had to put it down. Like honestly I didn’t care for FF12’s battle system, but I gutted through it to enjoy the story.

So if I haaaaaad to designate a game... Vagrant Story. Didn’t like the gameplay and style of the game itself.

Fbh

I'd say DMC2 but that's part of the HD collection (and the other 2 thirds of it are great) so I don't know if it counts.

If not. Then probably the Division. Way too many bullet sponges, unexciting progression , really disappointing story, etc

Finished the story in cool and never felt like returning to it. Sadly got it digital so I couldn't even sell it to get some money back

Shotpun

I've always gotten rid of games I don't want to keep so I don't own a single game I don't like at all, but of the games I have Postal 2 must be the worst. It is kinda so bad it can actually be pretty entertaining, but yeah, it's the worst.

EricB

If digital is included, god who knows.

I don’t make it a practice to buy physical versions of bad games, and it really isn’t difficult to avoid truly bad games these days, so really this question amounts to “What’s your least favorite game in your possession.”

Until recently, it would have been the copy (Dragon Edition) of Ultima IX I had until it was released on GOG and I threw out the physical version.

Now, I guess it would have to come down to:

Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast
Metroid Other M on Wii
Pilotwings Resort on 3DS
Megaman ZX/ZX Advent

None of these (in my opinion) are even close to being bad games (some may even be considered great), but as I said, I don’t make it a practice to buy bad games so these are the worst I’ve got.

woopWOOP

I probably have some real garbage in my Steam library from back when I randomly bought cheap Steam deals for the sake of it, but I can't really recall any.

I have a physical cartridge of Urban Champion, tho I never really loathed it myself. Super simple and not worth more than $1 at most, but I have some fond memories of it.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on the other hand I still loathe. Cost 80 bucks because of that damn GBA link pack in, gameplay was dull as hell and multiplayer locked behind GBA links was the worst decision. For some reason I still have it lying around.

Shifty

The world design didn't interest me as much, the controls felt heavier than the other games (iframes being tied to stats, slow backstab windup, etc.), and it seemed like there were more bullshit 'lol gotcha' moments in terms of enemy and trap placement.
I also didn't like what they did with the healing system relative to Dark 1. I can level that criticism at Bloodborne's vial farming as well, but I have an especially large bone to pick with 2's hollowing.

The idea of reducing the player's maximum health as punishment for dying, particularly when a rare or limited item is required to restore it, is straight up bad game design in my book.
It punishes the inexperienced and makes it feel like your opportunities to learn the system and progress are tied to finite resource in your inventory, artificially increasing the difficulty before the player is ready for it.
Granted it can't be that big of a deal since the game isn't widely considered more difficult than its peers, but from a game-feel standpoint it's straight trash.

For context, I remember the intro, majula, heide's tower of flame, the first pursuer encounter, beating the last giant, and reaching no man's wharf. I think I banged my head against that area for a while before deciding that was I done and not coming back.
FWIW I was playing scholar of the first sin, which I've heard is a bit divisive with its remixing. Dunno if playing vanilla would have made me stick with it though.

And of course, all of this is very subjective. Dark 2 is probably fine, but it takes the top spot in terms of disappointment relative to my expectations.

Also Dark Souls 2 came out before bloodborne

Sure, but that doesn't mean I played them in release order.

bowld

Mankind Divided. Cannot get into it to save my life. Think I got to the 4th main quest and had to call it quits for good

Gafito

Neo Member
I know its a subjetive matter, but i really think that last guardian is by far the worst game ever made and those who like it are wrong
the game is unfinished and doesnt work as a game. I paid full game and some coworkers bet me i couldnt platinum it and... damn i tried but is soo boring i couldnt finish "all talked out" it is just a troll game that propose being bored and frustrated all the game.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Call of Duty WW2 is the worst and best game in my collection but than again it’s my only game.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
You’re a bad boy, aren’t you?

No hard feelings. (I love that game.)

Thank you for being so nice about it.
People have ripped me to shreads many times because I didn't like that game.
It isn't a bad game, it's just a very personal taste thing.

I loved Final Fantasy from one to X,
but for XII they changed the essence of the game way too much.
Some people really liked the new approach, others couldn't, and I was one of them.

Besides, the writing style was completely altered.
If you were used to classic FF story-telling this one was incredibly boring.
I don't even remember any of the characters or the story anymore,
and I spent A LOT of time playing it..

bbylean

Neo Member
Besides obvious bundle games I'd say it's Destiny 2. Not a poor game per say but the lack of content gave it a bitter aftertaste

Osukaa

psx-1337741063.jpg

Jesus... This game...
I honestly don't remember how it came to be in my collection. I didn't pay for it and I don't remember it being a gift but yet there it is.. I have accepted it now as a possibility that it's a curse placed on me for the wrongs I may have done in a previous life :(

kaydigi

2nd game is Overcooked on the switch. I haven’t bought another 3rd party game on the switch since overcooked came out. Frame rate drops and missing features from the PS4 version made for a poor experience. I bought the PS4 version and it was like and day.

MAtgS

Well I just bought Mighty Number 9 on the OSN holiday sale. Haven't played it yet but I assume it's the new worse game I own.

probably Ark

I had bought it in early access some time back, played it a couple of times and then got a refund. i got it again via a humble monthly recently

Top Bottom