• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iconic burgers made WAAAAY better

big_z

lol that mickey nug.

What's wrong with shake shack buns :(

shake shack is the third one right? bun is wilty like its soggy and undersized for what its trying to contain.

what is the black rubber disc in the first one? thousand year egg?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
shake shack is the third one right? bun is wilty like its soggy and undersized for what its trying to contain.

what is the black rubber disc in the first one? thousand year egg?

Yeah third one.

And don't remember. The patty??

7 (henrys burger) 8 (franklin avenue) and 10 (fatz) are probably the best ones.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can't even see any meat in the first one that ponpo posted.

For the most part, if I'm going to get something like this (make an iconic burger but in a different manner/with different ingredients), I'm doing at home instead of ordering it at a restaurant.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I was actually more impressed with Sydney's burger scene than New Yorks. Five Guys and Shake Shack felt massively overrated. My guess is they are the shit if you grew up on McD and BK and the nostalgia factor kicks in and you crave something like it but a bit better. But when that's missing, they are really mediocre burgers. I had some good shit at Salvation Burger and the burgers at the Standard Grill and at Reynard's in Brooklyn were pretty solid, but nothing came close to what I had in Sydney at Five Point Burgers, Charlie & Co, BenBry's, Beautiful Burgers and Grand National.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I was actually more impressed with Sydney's burger scene than New Yorks. Five Guys and Shake Shack felt massively overrated. My guess is they are the shit if you grew up on McD and BK and the nostalgia factor kicks in and you crave something like it but a bit better. But when that's missing, they are really mediocre burgers. I had some good shit at Salvation Burger and the burgers at the Standard Grill and at Reynard's in Brooklyn were pretty solid, but nothing came close to what I had in Sydney at Five Point Burgers, Charlie & Co, BenBry's, Beautiful Burgers and Grand National.

Five points is really good but you didn't even check out Sydney's best.

Bar Luca
Chicken and Sons
Bare Grill
Fox hat burgers
Belles (the chicken sandwich is amazing)
Pub Life Kitchen
Mr Gees Burger Truck - The trufflenator my god!
Superior Burger

We are spoilt for choice if you want to be a fattie

Dizzan

MINI Member
Blame Canada from Bar Luca is consistently voted best burg in Sydney. And it won the best in Sydney/melbourne face off. I think its a touch too sweet for my liking and I prefer a little salad but I can see the attraction:

Poutine
Beef
Cheese
Maple Bacon
Maple Aioli

CFr4-p6VEAAEELr.jpg

Interior View

__sandwiches-sydney-2.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Blame Canada from Bar Luca is consistently voted best burg in Sydney. And it won the best in Sydney/melbourne face off. I think its a touch too sweet for my liking and I prefer a little salad but I can see the attraction:

Poutine
Beef
Cheese
Maple Bacon
Maple Aioli

CFr4-p6VEAAEELr.jpg

Poutine and Maple Bacon smh.

Sloppy memeburger.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Five Guys and Shake Shack are basically chains. A step above your Macass and BKs.

I got enough cooking chops to master meat grinding, but not the cash to spend on a hipster ass hipster joint selling me a Big Mac, when I can have an actual fucking Big Mac that will fill the spot of a fucking cheap-ass burger that makes you say, "that's enough for my yearly quota."

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I can't even see any meat in the first one that ponpo posted.

lol it's true, it's too small compared to everything else in the burger (what is with this amount of lettuce). Same place:

Sad because the patty itself is good and they have a charcoal grill for them.

It's not sloppy at all and isn't ridiculously large. Don't knock it til you try it.

Is it not? I figure the gravy and curds alone would be spilling outside of it. Looks good anyway but I'm not usually a fan of fries inside a burger.

Dizzan

MINI Member
lol it's true, it's too small compared to everything else in the burger (what is with this amount of lettuce). Same place:

Sad because the patty itself is good and they have a charcoal grill for them.

Is it not? I figure the gravy and curds alone would be spilling outside of it. Looks good anyway but I'm not usually a fan of fries inside a burger.

We are so stupidly burger crazy we have sushi burgers. They are shit.

Gojima.png

and Bao Burgers

Belly-Baoger-Bellybao-Goodgod-5.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Five points is really good but you didn't even check out Sydney's best.

Bar Luca
Chicken and Sons
Bare Grill
Fox hat burgers
Belles (the chicken sandwich is amazing)
Pub Life Kitchen
Mr Gees Burger Truck - The trufflenator my god!
Superior Burger

We are spoilt for choice if you want to be a fattie

That's good to know, I'll be back in the city in october/november this year to visit family, so I'll probably have some time to check out some of those suggestions, thanks! Bar Luca, Pub Life Kitchen and Superior Burger were already on my radar, but the others are new for me.

When I spent a month in Sydney in '12, I lost a truth/dare bet and lunched with a burger for a month straight and wrote a review for each one. Maybe I've still got it on Flickr somewhere, I should check that out. Had a lot of great burgers, and some pretty horrible burgers too :). I wasn't that impressed with Mary's though, and I saw a lot of Sydneysider foodies rave about it..

BibiMaghoo

I would eat OP chicken burger, but the big mac knockoff looks a bit shite. To be honest I'm happy with a regular big mac, but that is more because I wasn't really allowed that stuff as a kid. We never ate fast food, only home cooked meals, so as an adult it's all tasty goodness to me. Burger King does best though, when they get the order right.

Yeah Sydney's burger game in recent years has gotten phenomenal

It actually ruined what I looked forward to most in travelling to America cause the burgers just weren't that level above as hyped anymore

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I hate both pictures in the OP. I'll never order burgers that tall. I hate being messy when I eat. That shit is a no-go.

Dizzan

MINI Member
That's good to know, I'll be back in the city in october/november this year to visit family, so I'll probably have some time to check out some of those suggestions, thanks! Bar Luca, Pub Life Kitchen and Superior Burger were already on my radar, but the others are new for me.

When I spent a month in Sydney in '12, I lost a truth/dare bet and lunched with a burger for a month straight and wrote a review for each one. Maybe I've still got it on Flickr somewhere, I should check that out. Had a lot of great burgers, and some pretty horrible burgers too :). I wasn't that impressed with Mary's though, and I saw a lot of Sydneysider foodies rave about it..
Post the link to your Flickr if you find it. Mary's is good when you are drunk. Their fried chicken and potato and gravy are better than their burgs.

ascii42

In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, she works at a burger place that has something like a Big Mac except one of the patties is chicken instead of beef. I've always wanted to try one. I've had a McGangBang, which I suppose is similar.

I don't understand burgers so big you can't take a real bite.

My favorite burger atm is my home made one I wish I had pictures.

Ground turkey mixed with habanero cheese.

Topped with my home made bacon honey mustard spread.

Friend egg over medium.

So good.

Korey

I don't really understand the premise of this thread.

Are you looking for other restaurants that do improved Big Macs?

MsKrisp

Those look really delicious but impossible to eat. I don't get the point of making IG burgers that you can't eat with your hands. Also, too much bread. Knock out half that burger and then maybe I could eat half of the damn thing.

That homemade mcrib looks amazing too. I used to try to make popeyes chicken at home because I wanted the flavor without the sickness, but I couldn't get it quite right.

All of the burgers ITT look delicious but how are they knockoffs of other popular burgers?

Looks fake

I don't really understand the premise of this thread.

Are you looking for other restaurants that do improved Big Macs?

Same here. All I see are random burgers.
The only Big Mac rip offs that come to mind are BK's Big King and Carl's Jr's Big Carl.
Neither are great imo.

If In-N-Out counts because they do similar style burgers, then they get my vote.

Sillverrr

Most of these are so ridiculous, in terms of fillings, that I'd rather just ditch the bun and eat the meat as a regular meal. My jaw is either going to break in half, or I will end up wearing sauce all over my face, if I try to take a mouthful.

They still look delicious though, coming from someone who hardly ever eats burgers.

gamz

I like the bun. I prefer more meat and less bun. I tried Shake Shack for the first time last week and I loved it! Much prefer it over 5 guys are really any other franchise. Delicious.

Basoes

Iconic but not posting anything from Bob's Burgers

'Baby You Can Chive My Car

4A39DBx.jpg

Hit Me With Your Best Shallot
peGTqu8.jpg

Burger just means ground meat. Chicken burgers exist, but have never had a good one. A fried chicken filet between a bun is a sandwich.

nope. well you're technically right at the start.
the reason it's a chicken burger is because it is like a hamburger but with chicken.

when you can't differentiate between a chicken sandwich (chicken burger) and this chicken sandwich by the nomenclature you've got a problem

nope. well you're technically right at the start.
the reason it's a chicken burger is because it is like a hamburger but with chicken.

when you can't differentiate between a chicken sandwich (chicken burger) and this chicken sandwich by the nomenclature you've got a problem

There's no need to differentiate because that is a chicken sandwich. It does not contain a formed chicken burger patty.

I like burgers but not when the whole kitchen sink has been shoved between two (or worse, three) buns. A lot of these are too tall with too many ingredients for me.

Top Bottom