• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Thief (4) screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuya

Banned
I hope those are current-gen screenshots, because if those are next-gen screenshots (or even PC) then that is disappointing.

My first impression is that it does not look like a next gen game, more like the PC version of a current gen game. If that is the case though, it won't stop me from being interested in it. It still looks like it could be an awesome game.

Derrick01

Banned
Exactly. And I really hope most of the focus went into developing a more complex level design instead of wasting their budget on "next-gen visuals".

Yeah this game is one that cannot afford a crippled level design due to insane high budget graphics. This game like Deus Ex will live and die based on its level design and how complex it is, although this needs deep stealth mechanics too. None of this hybrid bullshit that's in "stealth" games now like in Dishonored and HR.

Current gen then.

This is exactly what the next gen console makers fear. Not being able to differentiate between the coming generation and this generation of games.

(Off Topic Point: I think this is another reason why you are going to see the companies pushing new things i.e. Wii U tablet, Move controller, forced Kinect, PS4 camera, etc.)

I think the screens look pretty good. The only fear I have with games like these are animation and control.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've never played a thief game. I hate FPS games, but love Mirror's Edge and Stealth games. What's my best option to try one out if I can't do mouse and keyboard?
Dishonored sounds like it'll be up your alley. Huge focus on traversal and stealth.

Dishonored?

Uh I must be missing something. Game doesn't look anything like Dishonored. Have you guys never played a Thief game?

Raven77

Although I'm a HUGE Thief fan, this games visuals are ass IF next-gen.

Hey, maybe that rumor about the Xbox 720 only being 3X more powerful than a 360 are true after all if these actually are 720 shots.

ys45

Hype !

Look good so far , i really don't care if it look like next gen or not i just want a good Thief game .

I wonder if it's still Garret , i hope so .

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Oh my lord fucking gorgeous. Does remind of Dishonored in certain screens though but thats to be expected.

Can't wait to see it in motion. Loved the originals.

lefantome

Unlucky game: disonhored came out last year and it looks like a current gen game ported on next gen.

Still interested though.

Derrick01

Banned
Although I'm a HUGE Thief fan, this games visuals are ass IF next-gen.

Hey, maybe that rumor about the Xbox 720 only being 3X more powerful than a 360 are true after all if these actually are 720 shots.

It's more like game that was worked on for current gen consoles for ~4 years was recently switched over to next gen. You weren't expecting them to scrap the whole game and re-do it entirely for next gen consoles were you?

I know some people may beg to differ but I would really like it if the character does indeed movies like a ninja. An expert thief would have to be fast and agile and not crawl like snail.
Imagine jumping up to the ceiling River Tam style or parkour across rooftops.

But don't turn me into a killer. Give me a knife for defense against rats and to use as a tool. I am not the dude from Dishonored.

Am I the only one to think it is a sick burn on Thief to call it Dishonoured?

Dishonoured was surely reskinned Thief 3, no?

Dishonored was influenced by both Thief and Deus Ex, and didn't hit the highs of either. I still welcomed it considering the alternatives in the AAA market, but I'd like to have a true old-school Thief game even more. That said, Thief 4 won't be able to avoid comparisons to the other current-gen stealthish game in a similar setting.

Hey, this game that has been in development for who knows how many years doesn't look 'next gen' enough. I'm not quite sure what 'next gen' is supposed to look like, since we haven't really seen much in terms of gameplay, since, you know, all the new consoles haven't been announced, but I'm pretty sure this ain't it. That's important, because this thing needs to look pretty. It's not like it's meant to be played in any capacity, so all that matters is how pretty it is.

DaBuddaDa

The only thing I don't like is how Garrett looks so angry, pissed off, possessed even. I'm sure they're going for the typical US "look how bad ass YOU are!" like Assassin's Creed, but it's a little bit over the top in these shots. I worry that they are going to make you too bad ass and have getting discovered/combat be a breeze, overloading you with bad ass super dudebro hyper stylish abilities, ruining everything that made Thief great.

Durante

People, look at those shots again. The game, with those assets in terms of geometry and textures, is not running on current-gen consoles. It could be cross generational, but the PS360 version won't look like that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
People saying this doesn't look next gen need to realize this is most likely cross gen. Cross gen games are going to be a reality for many more games and for longer next gen than ever before. We'll see a huge difference in cross gen titles and games built for the ground up on next gen hardware. Once multiplats drop the current gen versions it'll be a mid gen boost to visuals for everything.

Looks like Dishonored was a proof of concept for Thief 4.

Dishonored?

Uh I must be missing something. Game doesn't look anything like Dishonored. Have you guys never played a Thief game?

If those screen shots came out and the thread title was "Dishonored 2," especially the London Bridge shot... Nobody would question it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I know some people may beg to differ but I would really like it if the character does indeed movies like a ninja. An expert thief would have to be fast and agile and not crawl like snail.
Imagine jumping up to the ceiling River Tam style or parkour across rooftops.

But don't turn me into a killer. Give me a knife for defense against rats and to use as a tool. I am not the dude from Dishonored.

Honestly I'd be fine with this as well. As long as it doesn't turn into a "then drop from the shadows and strangle people from behind" I would love for an "evolution" of the series to be more surface mobility.

Sibylus

Banned
there are more shots through the links.

locks

2f3eaa0876df7fb615f5688facb81141.jpg

I like the details.
Nice attention to detail.

Holy crap, if I read one more Dishonored comment I'm going to flip out. I thought this place was at least a little more knowledgable about games. This is Thief people. Reading about how this reminds them of Dishonored is a little like people saying that GTA reminds them of Saints Row.

Can't wait for this.

Derrick01

Banned
I object! My dude from Dishonored didn't kill anyone.

At least if everyone is forced to not kill or kill minimally then maybe the level design won't be as butchered as it was in Dishonored. The advantage of building a game around stealth and only stealth.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah this game is one that cannot afford a crippled level design due to insane high budget graphics. This game like Deus Ex will live and die based on its level design and how complex it is, although this needs deep stealth mechanics too. None of this hybrid bullshit that's in "stealth" games now like in Dishonored and HR.
This 100%

Thief is not a series to "let you play how you want" except only in what way you want to carefully sneak around. If they try to action/cinematic this up and cheap out on level design and clever gameplay dynamics with it, it will be a total failure. Not that the majority of people would notice (look at the positive Tomb Raider response) but some of us will know.

People, look at those shots again. The game, with those assets in terms of geometry and textures, is not running on current-gen consoles. It could be cross generational, but the PS360 version won't look like that.

I agree, but the last generation gap included a move from SD to HD gaming, so I think some people are--mistakenly--expecting a similar, clear visual leap out of the gate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The game does look like it was built around the constraints of current gen though.

Everything is a small box despite it being a large city, and you can't see too much of the city at any given time.

The assets within those small boxes have been improved, but the scope there is still small.

DaBuddaDa

Exactly, throw in some higher level texture and bam its a next gen game. People need to adjust their expectations.

Some games will look better than others. A lot of games will have been in development for a while, such as Thief 4, and they will not get a big graphical update for release on PS4/720. You can't expect them to. Then, there will be games built from the ground up for PS4/720 which will look a whooooole lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom