• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Newer PSP thread of Excellent Games (Troll somewhere else you bastards.)

Shadowlink said:
I have a question, I might get Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, the problem is, I never played Metal Gear Solid 2 or 3, so does Metal Gear Solid Portable ops connect with 2 and 3?
It's a direct sequel to MGS3.

ACE 1991

ACE 1991 said:
Really considering picking one up used. I already have a ds, is it worth it to still buy a psp at this point?

Also, should I go with the 2000 or the 3000? I hear the 3000 has interlacing issues...

ACE 1991 said:
Also, should I go with the 2000 or the 3000? I hear the 3000 has interlacing issues...

Unless you're looking at CFW, just go with the 3000. I have both a 2000 and a 3000, and the colors are just more vibrant on the 3000. The interlacing issues with the 3000 were overblown imo.

Sipowicz

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Really considering picking one up used. I already have a ds, is it worth it to still buy a psp at this point?

it's always worth buying a PSP dawg

in my humble opinion the exclusives coming to the PSP next year smoke almsot everything coming on consoles. stuff like peace walker, last ranker, resident evil portable, valkyria chronicles 2, kingdom hearts and ushiro rank amongst my most wanted games

get yourself a cheap 2000 (still the best model). put some cfw on it and youll be able to play all your old PS1 games too

ACE 1991

Auron_Kale said:
Unless you're looking at CFW, just go with the 3000. I have both a 2000 and a 3000, and the colors are just more vibrant on the 3000. The interlacing issues with the 3000 were overblown imo.

I'll want CFW... So I guess I'll go with the 2000.

ACE 1991

My silver 3000 just came in (decided i didn't care TOO much about CFW.) And holy crap is it LIGHT. That mixed with the finish makes the unit feel really cheap. =(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Really looking forward to Patchwork Heroes (aka 100 million ton bara bara). :D

Definitely a lot of good stuff coming out this year. Already on my list are:

SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3
Patchwork Heroes
Hot Shots Tennis
Block Cascade Fusion (Minis)
Monopoly (Minis?)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (Konami won't let us PES fanboys down again, will they?)

Great thread! I picked up a 3000 at Christmas (sorry, GO, the lure of all those 2005-2007 UMD based games going for $5-$10 right now was too strong).

I immediately replaced the stock 2gb memory card with a 16gb one. Thus far, I can wholeheartedly recommend:

- The Warriors
- Killzone: Liberation
- MGS: Portable Ops
- Football Manager Handheld
- Pinball Heroes (all the tables are great, but like the Uncharted one the best)
- SWB: Renegade Squadron
- SF: Dark Mirror

Games I can't really recommend:

- Field Commander
- The GTA Stories games (they feel too dated after 4 and Chinatown Wars)
- Untold Legends

bonesmccoy said:
Great thread! I picked up a 3000 at Christmas (sorry, GO, the lure of all those 2005-2007 UMD based games going for $5-$10 right now was too strong).

I immediately replaced the stock 2gb memory card with a 16gb one. Thus far, I can wholeheartedly recommend:

- The Warriors
- Killzone: Liberation
- MGS: Portable Ops
- Football Manager Handheld
- Pinball Heroes (all the tables are great, but like the Uncharted one the best)
- SWB: Renegade Squadron
- SF: Dark Mirror

Games I can't really recommend:

- Field Commander
- The GTA Stories games (they feel too dated after 4 and Chinatown Wars)
- Untold Legends

Hey, Field Commander is solid ;)

Of the Pinball Heroes tables, I only have High Velocity Bowling and Hot Shots Golf. I'll be sure to check out the Uncharted table.

I'd love to get Killzone Liberation as well. The demo I played was pretty cool.

As for GTA Chinatown wars, once it hits $19.99, I'll give it a shot.

The Rizza

A really under appreciated PSP game is Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner. It's very similar to pokemon but I really enjoyed the battles in this game and the story as well. Tons of gameplay and great graphics. The evolution system is really cool too.

92983820070108screen005ce6.jpg

The Rizza said:
A really under appreciated PSP game is Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner. It's very similar to pokemon but I really enjoyed the battles in this game and the story as well. Tons of gameplay and great graphics. The evolution system is really cool too.

92983820070108screen005ce6.jpg
who developed this?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Even though it's not out yet, the impressions for the game are glowing from Japan, and the sales have beat out Mario for 2 weeks I believe. Would it be wrong to recommend Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep?

Dogenzaka said:
Even though it's not out yet, the impressions for the game are glowing from Japan, and the sales have beat out Mario for 2 weeks I believe. Would it be wrong to recommend Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep?
It's brilliant

Takao

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
who developed this?

A company called Gaia, started by one of the co-creators of Shin Megami Tensen (!). I missed out on the UMD release way back when Atlus brought it over, so I'd love it if it would make its way to PSN. But considering how many composers, etc. are involved, not to mention that it was a second-party game in Japan (published by SCEJ) there might be too many legal issues for it.

Apparently Folklore on PS3 was a semi-followup in the same universe. That makes my interest in this game increase even more, as I loved Folklore.

Takao said:
A company called Gaia, started by one of the co-creators of Shin Megami Tensen (!). I missed out on the UMD release way back when Atlus brought it over, so I'd love it if it would make its way to PSN. But considering how many composers, etc. are involved, not to mention that it was a second-party game in Japan (published by SCEJ) there might be too many legal issues for it.

Apparently Folklore on PS3 was a semi-followup in the same universe. That makes my interest in this game increase even more, as I loved Folklore.
o really? interest+10000 Folklore was my favourite game in 2007

isitstill

Gaia, huh? I wonder if this is the same Gaia that developed Sword and Poker, an iPhone game that's kind of Puzzle Quest+poker.

isitstill said:
Gaia, huh? I wonder if this is the same Gaia that developed Sword and Poker, an iPhone game that's kind of Puzzle Quest+poker.

I believe so. I remember they were working on Mahjong games for the iphone before. My interest in Sword and Poker has increased.

Gamecocks625 said:
Definitely a lot of good stuff coming out this year. Already on my list are:

SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3
Patchwork Heroes
Hot Shots Tennis
Block Cascade Fusion (Minis)
Monopoly (Minis?)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (Konami won't let us PES fanboys down again, will they?)
Anyone have a US release date for Hot Shots Tennis?

DR2K

Banned
darkjedi187 said:
So what RPG should I get for my psp. Really want to play something on it? Tales series, Valkyrie or starocean. Suggestions?

Valkyrie Profile first and foremost. It's truly one of the most unique rpg experiences you'll ever come across. Star Ocean 2/ToE next, either one is really good arpg. Then So1/ToRM, both also very good, but not better than their above.

Tailzo

darkjedi187 said:
how is crimson gem saga?
It's beautiful. The story is not anything special, but I appreciate that none of the characters behave like typical heroes. The battlesystem is simple and good, but has some skills that you don't really need. + you need to get the speed boost shoes as early as possible in the game, otherwise you'll have a hard time running away from foes. (You see the ennemies on the map).

It's long enough. But, the battles get tedious towards the end of the game though. You have to grind a lot (unless I did something wrong). Also, some of the attacks were so powerful that I could just spam them to win the fight, while others were useless.

darkjedi187 said:
So what RPG should I get for my psp. Really want to play something on it? Tales series, Valkyrie or starocean. Suggestions?
Depends on what kind of rpg you want for it. Of tactical rpg games, FF tactics, Jeanne D'arc and Disgaea 1+2 are all great.

If you like goofy parody, go for Half minute hero. If you want a high budget SE rpg, go for FF7 Crisis Core or even Dissidia, if you don't mind battles being the core experience.

If you don't mind remakes or ports, Final Fantasy 1, FF2, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile and most of all Popolocrois will fit the bill.

Or you can go for more multiplayer focused rpg-ish games like Phantasy Star Portable or Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

has anyone played Creature Defense? I saw it was one of the games on sale, and I love TD, but not sure how the card-battle aspect plays out.

picked up Crystal Defender on that sale, its average for a TD game, but its SquEnix and for $5 a great value.

phinious

I just traded in a DS lite towards a psp 3000. With my luck psp2 will be announced and released this year haha.

This thing is sweet though. There are so many used games from the OPs list available for under $20 used. Its awesome.

Sipowicz

Banned
darkjedi187 said:

dont even consider crisis core. it is the worst rpg ever made. jean d'arc is ok and ff tactics is great

i'd just wait for the new ones to be honest

phinious

Sipowicz said:
dont even consider crisis core. it is the worst rpg ever made. jean d'arc is ok and ff tactics is great

i'd just wait for the new ones to be honest

Dang I almost bought Crisis Core today. It got good reviews... Maybe ill just DL FF7 from PSN.

I did get Jeanne D'arc though and so far its awesome(45 min in). I also picked up Killzone: Liberation and Ratchet and Clank:Size Matters.

I wish we had a more up to date thread than this, but I cant find one searching through google.

phinious said:
Dang I almost bought Crisis Core today. It got good reviews... Maybe ill just DL FF7 from PSN.

I did get Jeanne D'arc though and so far its awesome(45 min in). I also picked up Killzone: Liberation and Ratchet and Clank:Size Matters.

I wish we had a more up to date thread than this, but I cant find one searching through google.

Don't listen to the dude above. He is one of those guys who thinks his opinion somehow is relevant to complete strangers. Many people liked Crisis Core. I didn't love it, but i thoguht it's a fine time killer. Don't play on hard, don't do extra missions. The game is cheap as fuck anyway.

Apath

phinious said:
I just traded in a DS lite towards a psp 3000. With my luck psp2 will be announced and released this year haha.

This thing is sweet though. There are so many used games from the OPs list available for under $20 used. Its awesome.
That's the only reason I haven't gotten one yet.

phinious

Kenak said:
That's the only reason I haven't gotten one yet.

Dude, you can get like 10 of the best games used for under $100 bucks though. Thats why I got it. I hope PSP2 doesnt come out till Christmas 2011!

I traded in MAG=$36, Modern Warfare 2=$36, DS lite=$75, and a $25 gift card on the Gran Turrismo pack($200) Then I traded Gran Turrismo in at gamestop for $26 and got 3 games.

Not too bad I guess. My fiance says I can use her DS whenever I want, so whatever.

CartridgeBlower said:
Chinatown Wars being only 9.99 on iphone has to make me think the price will continue to drop quickly on PSP.
The game does look and play much better on the PSP, so the price difference is acceptable. Easily one of the best games on the system.

phinious said:
Dude, you can get like 10 of the best games used for under $100 bucks though. Thats why I got it. I hope PSP2 doesnt come out till Christmas 2011!
Why? You've waited five years to get a PSP, you clearly won't get/want/need a PSP2 for a while even if it comes out tomorrow.

phinious

toythatkills said:
Why? You've waited five years to get a PSP, you clearly won't get/want/need a PSP2 for a while even if it comes out tomorrow.

Well, because I want new psp games to continue being made. Then I can continue to get them used for <$20.

I do see your point though=(

sphinx

the piano man
Hi everyone.

So I have birthday on december the 22nd and I suspect I am getting a PSP from my best friend. On preparation for that, I would like to know what games should I be looking for in stores, excluding RPGs and MGS games. (In case anyone is wondering, I have like 8 300-hour long RPGs in my backlog, so no more RPGs for me until those are played and completed, besides I know already the PSP's major attraction is its RPG library. As for MGSs games, just not my thing.)

So, I know I want Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins but other than that I am not very sure what I should be buying that is an absolute must. I guess the god of war game but I am not very fond of the Devil may Cry/Ninja Gaiden/Castlevania:LoS kind of gameplay..(Unless I am wrong and battle mechanics aren't at all like that?)

so...any suggestions?

EDIT: FUCK, I wanted to open a new thread...

Very much enjoyed (enjoying actually, still playing Ghost of Sparta) God of War games on PSP. I wouldn't have said those kind of games were really something was into prior to playing through God of War II earlier in the year (I picked it up back in the day, took me 3 years to wade through my backlog to get round to it). Since then, I've picked up I, III and both PSP games and while they have plenty of combat, I think it's the... lore isn't the right word as I'm sure it's pretty far removed from Greek mythology, but the scale, environment and situations Kratos is placed in. They are definitely worth checking out and Chains of Olympus is probably pretty cheap.

Resistance: Retribution is a solid addition to the series that fills out the story a good bit. It feels closer to the first game than it's sequel did.

Chinatown Wars I played on DS but it's fantastic and I assume the same is true on PSP.

Crush is particularly good as well. Somewhat bias on that one as I worked at Zoe Mode at the time :) - I'll let others talk of it's qualities.

Patapon 1/2.

There are plenty of great RPGs obviously as well - I'm sure you can catch up on those once you've cleared your backlog. Tactics Ogre is releasing next Febuary (or March?) as well - you can break your stance for that :)

Who cares about gimped GoW? :lol PSP exists only for the purpose of playing DJ Max Portable, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Persona 3 Portable. Why would you like anything else? :lol

Grayman

sphinx said:
Hi everyone.

So I have birthday on december the 22nd and I suspect I am getting a PSP from my best friend. On preparation for that, I would like to know what games should I be looking for in stores, excluding RPGs and MGS games. (In case anyone is wondering, I have like 8 300-hour long RPGs in my backlog, so no more RPGs for me until those are played and completed, besides I know already the PSP's major attraction is its RPG library. As for MGSs games, just not my thing.)

So, I know I want Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins but other than that I am not very sure what I should be buying that is an absolute must. I guess the god of war game but I am not very fond of the Devil may Cry/Ninja Gaiden/Castlevania:LoS kind of gameplay..(Unless I am wrong and battle mechanics aren't at all like that?)

so...any suggestions?

EDIT: FUCK, I wanted to open a new thread...
Crush is an incredibly awesome puzzle game. Easier to be seen than explained http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEywtrjBkw
There are enemies in later levels but the game is definitely a puzzle style game with tons of levels.

Killzone Liberation is a top down view stop and pop cover shooter. I think it is a better game than killzone 2. There are lots of collectibles and unlockables. The game can be nintendo hard but has unlimited continues at any checkpoints, ie after a hard level be stuck on a boss for multiple play sessions(using sleep mode).

I liked Liberty City Stories. GTA makes a good pickup and play game if you play far enough into the story that you can race around the islands.

The Wipeout games are great but Wipeout HD exists now.

I also played a lot of Castlevania Symphony of the Night from PSN. Is LOS the new console castlevania? SOTN is a 2d metroidvania that has nothing in common with DMC.

Top Bottom