• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at David Harbour as Hellboy

Didn't think they were far enough along to have this. Looks pretty damn good. I'm more a fan of Del Toro's Fits though. The stone look and detail are really awesome on it. The new one looks a little too metal.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That is pretty much a rip off of Pearlman's look. Not a great start so far.

gAX48tj.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That is pretty much a rip off of Pearlman's look. Not a great start so far.

That's because that's what Hellboy looks like. Do people want a complete redesign of the character for the new movie? Otherwise any iteration that's trying to look like the comics is going to look like what Del Toro gave us because his version of the character design is already incredibly close to the comic book version.

Blader

What the fuck? That can't be his body. That's a completely different body from what I saw in Stranger Things! He's fucking huge!

Flousn

I hope they don't go all gritty and rob Hellboy of his humour. I know it's going to be rated R and the comics are much darker than the del Toro movies, but Hellboy as a Character was (in my opinion) quite true to the source material, just that the world around him was..."brighter".

Jasoneyu

What the fuck? That can't be his body. That's a completely different body from what I saw in Stranger Things! He's fucking huge!

To be fair he could just use his bulk in ST to get lean for hellboy. Lots of body builders use this method of bulk/lean phases. But I am leaning towards body suit a the moment.

Solid eyes would be cool, but there are reasons why movies tend to avoid that. Besides budgetary (which isn't all that much an issue for that effect), it's hard to emotionally connect with a character whose eyes you can't really see (this includes pupils/iris). It tends to represent coldness and inhumanity in fiction for a reason. I bet they'll use it in any situation where he goes full demonic or maybe when he gets really angry.

shaneo632

Harbour only started his workout for Hellboy 3 in June and he had a gut then so I think it's borderline impossible to get that cut without some prosthetic help

not a fitness expert

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

In Stranger Things 2 the Sheriff is going full on Rambo with the monsters from the Upside Down.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm too stupid for this now.

The eyes for once. In the comics, it's a solid color and not normal.

That's one of the things that doesn't translate well to film for dramatic scenes. A lot of acting is in the eyes, plus it lets the viewer see where the character's focus is. The solid eye thing is usually used in small doses to show a transformation of some sorts. Look at Batman V Superman. They did the solid white eyes for Batman during the Superman fight, but Affleck's actual eyes were exposed for the dramatic conclusion there.

Nebula in Guardians is one of the few film characters I've seen with fully blacked out eyes for all of her screentime. But that character is so over the top that it compensates for the viewer not being able to make that eye to eye contact.

But blacked out eyes for main characters is a no no. Don't expect it. Ever.

Dopus

Banned
To be fair he could just use his bulk in ST to get lean for hellboy. Lots of body builders use this method of bulk/lean phases. But I am leaning towards body suit a the moment.

It's quite obviously prosthetics. Look at the arms and shoulders. Look at the trapezius.

deleted

Eh, I'm not really interested in Daddy Hellboy. I hope they stick closer to the comics and don't give him a romantic interest this time.

IIRC they are taking on a storyline that involves a love interest in the comics too...

Edit: That looks really good! If they nail the feeling of the sets and atmosphere, we are in for a visual treat at least.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well ... at least it's reassuring that the title character doesn't look too far off from my mental image.

That's one of the things that doesn't translate well to film for dramatic scenes. A lot of acting is in the eyes, plus it lets the viewer see where the character's focus is. The solid eye thing is usually used in small doses to show a transformation of some sorts. Look at Batman V Superman. They did the solid white eyes for Batman during the Superman fight, but Affleck's actual eyes were exposed for the dramatic conclusion there.

Nebula in Guardians is one of the few film characters I've seen with fully blacked out eyes for all of her screentime. But that character is so over the top that it compensates for the viewer not being able to make that eye to eye contact.

But blacked out eyes for main characters is a no no. Don't expect it. Ever.
Makes performances like Urban as Dredd and Weaving as V that much more impressive

Top Bottom