• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS, Dreamrift)

Erethian

Those are scans, not direct-feed screenshots, so you might want to remove them from your post.

Edit: As well as the link to the scans.

mickeycollection.png

I would buy this so fast.

I loved Castle of Illusion. I remember being so excited when Fantasia was coming out, and I bought it day one. Terrible game, control was so bad. Thankfully World of Illusion made up for it.

Ah, the Genesis days.

Not everyone has to like everything.

Yes, thanks. Not saying nothing has come out, but I have pretty much all the consoles and a PC, so there is plenty of competition. Nothing has been worth playing to my tastes yet since a couple of launch titles. My daughter on the other hand plays nintendogs constantly.

However this game might make me steal it back off of her. My only concern is they would make it too short or too easy (trivial boss battles for example). Assuming there is a bit of an edge to it, I'm all in.

Despite playing like all the other ones of the time, I never played Fantasia back in the days. I would look at the cover in a shop or videostore and be like well this looks like something I'd like but for whatever reason just skipped it thankfully lol.

If there was a Master System version I probably would have at least tried it, but I just never ended up with a Mega Drive copy till I started collecting games just for the sake of it years later.

QuackShot is real talk awesomeness.

QuackShot on Sega, Duck Tales on Nintendo.

Ducks ftw.

Maedhros

Despite playing like all the other ones of the time, I never played Fantasia back in the days. I would look at the cover in a shop or videostore and be like well this looks like something I'd like but for whatever reason just skipped it thankfully lol.

If there was a Master System version I probably would have at least tried it, but I just never ended up with a Mega Drive copy till I started collecting games just for the sake of it years later.

Ducks ftw.

YES, the ducks are far, far more awesome than Mickey. Even Goofy is better than Mickey for me (Goof Troop is amazing, and we never we'll get something like it).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
They should just call this Epic Mickey: The Real Deal, and cancel all the console versions. :p

Yep. After this, who's gonna give a shit about the console versions anyway?

I think I might dig out my Master System to play Castle of Illusion again. That game is sogood.gif

Shion

Ducks ftw.

Oh yes.
Ducks > Mickey

Master System also had Donald Duck: Deep Duck Trouble and Donald Duck: The Lucky Dime Caper. They weren't as awesome as the Illusion games, but were still pretty damn good.

570229_87274_front.jpg

588055_87379_front.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh yes.
Ducks > Mickey

Master System also had Donald Duck: Deep Duck Trouble and Donald Duck: The Lucky Dime Caper. They weren't as awesome as the Illusion games, but were still pretty damn good.

570229_87274_front.jpg

588055_87379_front.jpg

I played the last one on Game Gear and it was AWESOME!

Y'know, as long as we're fondly regarding creation old Sega Disney games, I always really liked Goofy's Hysterical History Tour.

Okay, fine, it wasn't made BY Sega like the Illusion games and Quackshot were, but I still found it a fairly solid (if rather brutal at times) platformer.

Boney

Banned
Yeah, ok.

It's one of the worst map designs I've seen in my life. Perfect example of how to do open ended game's the wrong way, complete boring, pointless and time waster. Monster mechanic wasn't anything to write home about and was especially lacking when compared to Hatsworth puzzle gimmick. Then there's the lack of humor the game had compared to Hatsworth because MT was obviously aimed at children. And of course, the completely subpar beat 'em up mechanics return.

Game has very nice sprites and good music though.

Does anyone know when there'll be an official announcement? It's odd that they present Epic Mickey 2 with events here and there, and there are still no words on this title.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Did anyone else not know that Sega made FOUR Illusion games and THREE Donald games? I mean, I knew that Castle of Illusion and Quackshot got 8-bit companion titles (Land of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper) but I only just found out they each got another 8-bit entry - Legend of Illusion and Deep Duck Trouble. I'm guessing they suck, but whatever, time to fire up the emulator!

Combichristoffersen

Did anyone else not know that Sega made FOUR Illusion games and THREE Donald games? I mean, I knew that Castle of Illusion and Quackshot got 8-bit companion titles (Land of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper) but I only just found out they each got another 8-bit entry - Legend of Illusion and Deep Duck Trouble. I'm guessing they suck, but whatever, time to fire up the emulator!

The 8-bit version of Castle of Illusion is actually superior to the 16-bit version IMO, and Lucky Dime Caper is great. Deep Duck Trouble is kinda mediocre though, and I haven't played Legend of Illusion and Land of Illusion, so I can't say anything about those.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The 8-bit version of Castle of Illusion is actually superior to the 16-bit version IMO, and Lucky Dime Caper is great. Deep Duck Trouble is kinda mediocre though, and I haven't played Legend of Illusion and Land of Illusion, so I can't say anything about those.

Wait, so there's an official 8-bit version of Castle of Illusion, in addition to Land/Legend of Illusion?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Well there you go. I think I actually own that game, too, yet I can't remember ever playing it... maybe the game I thought was Land was actually 8-bit Castle. Hmm. Either way, more classic Sega for me, I guess.

Tizoc

If you don't mind me asking, but what is the best console/system ver. of each of the mickey mouse Illusion series video games?

@MUWANdo

Banned
If you don't mind me asking, but what is the best console/system ver. of each of the mickey mouse Illusion series video games?

From the sounds of things, Castle of Illusion is the only game that actually had a multi-platform release - the original Megadrive version, and the 8-bit version for Master System (and probably Game Gear). Here's a list of all the Sega Mickey/Donald games:

Castle of Illusion - Megadrive (1990), Master System/Game Gear (1991)
Land of Illusion* - Master System/Game Gear (1992)
World of Illusion - Megadrive (1992)
Legend of Illusion* - Master System/Game Gear (1995)

QuackShot - Megadrive (1991)
Lucky Dime Caper - Master System/Game Gear (1993)
Deep Duck Trouble* - Game Gear (1993)

(*developed by Aspect, the same devs who did the 8-bit Sonic games)

There are other Mickey games from that era, like Mickey Mania and Fantasia, but they have nothing to do with Sega and aren't any good.

Combichristoffersen

From the sounds of things, Castle of Illusion is the only game that actually had a multi-platform release - the original Megadrive version, and the 8-bit version for Master System (and probably Game Gear). Here's a list of all the Sega Mickey/Donald games:

There are other Mickey games from that era, like Mickey Mania and Fantasia, but they have nothing to do with Sega and aren't any good.

Fantasia was published by Sega. But yeah, it's a stinker.

Tizoc

^Hah beat me to it XD.

Thanks for the link, so these are the best versions of those games huh? Will try them out someday ;3

Ducks in general > Mickey

Mickey is a disgusting little goody twoshoes.

QstvM.jpg

Anyone know the name of that European Mickey Mouse comic where he deals with ghosts and such?

Combichristoffersen

^Mickey was ace in some cool noir stories from italy I stumbled upon by mistake in Camden

cover_mm-02.jpg

seriously, i'd pay for a game in this vein

Those detective comics were good, but Mickey's personality was still too clean-cut for me. Donald and Scrooge are more morally ambigious (especially the final parts of The Life & Times of SMD paints Scrooge's morals as rather debatable).

Console... only... gamers...

*shivers*

I don't think even console only gamers are gonna give a shit about the inferior console version.

Javier

Best Duck game:

jClW5.jpg

While the controls were a little weird, I always found this game fun as hell to play. Not to mention one of the best soundtracks EVER.

Which I would have played the Disney Sega games. Never had a chance.

Combichristoffersen

Best Duck game:

jClW5.jpg

While the controls were a little weird, I always found this game fun as hell to play. Not to mention one of the best soundtracks EVER.

I don't know about the console versions, but the PC version of Maui Mallard was.. not very good. Largely due to the shitty controls.

zroid

Banned
Best Duck game:

jClW5.jpg

Ooooh I think I rented this game at some point. I don't remember much about it, but I vaguely recall a favourable opinion emerging.

Combichristoffersen

BUT HOW CAN YOU BE TALKING ABOUT THE CHARACTERS IF YOU'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE CARTOONS MAN!?

I agree.

I am talking about the characters from the comics :p For the cartoons, it's nearly a tie between the old Mickey cartoons and the Duck cartoons, but the Ducktales series pushes in favour of the Ducks. If we're talking video games, then Mickey wins hands down, yeah.

Top Bottom