• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Think I might switch my region to US and grab that digital version. I think the local digital copy is more expensive than physical (and doesn't come out until May), and both are more expensive than MK8 physically due to some weirdness.

Mario Kart is a bigger game; retailers need to leverage their prices over their competitors in order to bring customers to their stores. The hope with bigger dept stores, such as Big W and Target, etc, is that the money you save on their reduced Mario Kart copies will be spent within the store. Puyo Puyo Tetris is not as big a drawcard, so the price will land much higher. To further illustrate the point, we're receiving 62 copies of Mario Kart, yet only 4 copies of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

RedToad64

Getting both the physical and digital versions to support the game. I have been waiting for a localization for years.

Yeah, I'm crazy.

timshundo

I've had a record number of fuck-ups in tetris thanks to the non-directional pad on the L-Joycon with the demo. Anyone else?

DSi had the best directional pad to play tetris with rip

Unicorn

Man, I'd love a new Puzzle Fighter. Tetris Attack has always been my favorite (Kirby Star Stacker!) followed by Rotohex/Dialhex.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've had a record number of fuck-ups in tetris thanks to the non-directional pad on the L-Joycon with the demo. Anyone else?

DSi had the best directional pad to play tetris with rip

From what I've tried so far, single-Joycon play is the only control type that I found to be flat-out miserable. I can't come to grips with the small form-factor, and analog sticks are just a non-starter for me in games like this anyway.

I felt that dual-Joycon w/ grips and the pro controller were fine, though. Do the Switch pro controllers have quality control issues like the Joycons do? I've heard that other people sometimes had issues getting accidental d-pad inputs but the one I've tried seemed fine.

Inumbris

Aw, I thought I was going to be able to pick this up this week as well. Bummer.

Why such a delay for the Australian release? It's bad enough that the price here is such a stinger ($60, with no keychains :/ )

Dazzler

I imported the JP version and I'm double dipping on Tuesday. It's the only game my gf plays so we're very excited to finally know what the language in the menu means

Why such a delay for the Australian release? It's bad enough that the price here is such a stinger ($60, with no keychains :/ )
Shipping issues, if I had to guess? Maybe SEGA AU didn't want it to come out on the same day as MK8DX.

alf717

Enjoyed the demo in both Japanese and English. Wish it had dual audio but I'm still getting it. Picking this over Mario Kart hope I didn't make a mistake.

Does physical only PS4 mean that it's going to be dead online? It's not like people are going to be able to pick this up at retail in 6 months time.

galvatron

Somehow, I thought this was coming on the 28th in NA. This is a nice surprise!

I'll be there day one stinking up the joint online

Inumbris

Shipping issues, if I had to guess? Maybe SEGA AU didn't want it to come out on the same day as MK8DX.

Yeah you could be right on either of those accounts.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to keep enjoying the demo. Might end up double-dipping on MK8 as well haha.

1upsuper

Got the 3DS version a couple years ago but I'm double-dipping for the Switch version. This is a stellar game. For the record, I'm team puyo, but I love Tetris as well.

KeRaSh

Oh boy! Do I get the US release tomorrow or do I wait for the EU release? My week is already pretty packed so I might wait a few more days. I'd totally get the physical version if they came with the key chains in Germany but Amazon seems to not have them (judging by the pictures of the product page).

XaosWolf

Getting both the physical and digital versions to support the game. I have been waiting for a localization for years.

Yeah, I'm crazy.

Crazy like a fox.

Actually double dipping on the same console too. Digital to always have it with me and Physical (as a birthday present!) because I want that guarantee that Ubisoft and/or Tetris don't pull something regardless of Sega being involved.

Anyone know what the lower ranks of the online community is like?
#TeamTetris

aa4EwzC.gif

Rebutaaa! Man, gonna miss the JP voice.

Buying this since it's the closest thing to a Tetris Attack sequel (story mode and all that) we'll ever get.

RIP Tetris Attack ;(

Buying this since it's the closest thing to a Tetris Attack sequel (story mode and all that) we'll ever get.

RIP Tetris Attack ;(

H-Huh? If you mean puzzle games in general, Puyo Puyo has always had a story mode and has been around for a long time now, with a lot of games after the SNES era...

Tetris Attack was also Panel de Pon/Puzzle League, which is not present in this game in any form

Raysoul

I don't have any plans to get this, but since my OT title suggestion got chosen, I guess I have to buy it soon.

OK I hope you've been practicing since the last time we've fought.
Some, I can actually set up GTRs and transitions and make combos a bit longer than 3 if i actually focus. Chronicles has been helping tbh, well worth it (not touching online on that tho after what happened the first time...)

I think if i just play more and learn actual patterns ill eventually be able to pair things with the transitions to make long combos. Have ppts open right now on my lap actually :p

XaosWolf

I played a bunch of this yesterday on PS4 and it showed me how garbage the d-pad is on the DS4. (And the DS4 is one of my favourites controllers) Should have used a bigger version of the god-tier Vita one.

Kept missing button presses and not going far enough right or left and making me missdrop my tetriminos.

Luckily the Switch d-buttons are just as amazing as the Vita's pad for this game so no more missdrops from me. =P

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Debating if I should sell the Switch version after getting the keychains, then get the PS4 version for the trophies. Already have the Vita version, so I already have a portable version.

Bummer the Japanese audio wasn't kept, would've been nice as an option.

ShyGuy

I think you mean $70

Which sux for us Aussies

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

RIP Tetris Attack ;(

They added Puzzle League (what Tetris Attack is called now) for free to Animal Crossing New Leaf in the recent update.

Considering buying this from the US eShop as having Tetris digitally does seem appealing. That and it should come out cheaper due to the EU eShop prices being the same as retail.

Is it better to change my accounts region so purchase history is tied to one account or to make a separate account for the US eShop?

I played a bunch of this yesterday on PS4 and it showed me how garbage the d-pad is on the DS4. (And the DS4 is one of my favourites controllers) Should have used a bigger version of the god-tier Vita one.

Kept missing button presses and not going far enough right or left and making me missdrop my tetriminos.

Luckily the Switch d-buttons are just as amazing as the Vita's pad for this game so no more missdrops from me. =P
If you mean the Pro Controller, then I have some bad news for you.

Moraizen

By the way, my PS4 Japanese version that came out years ago received a new patch yesterday, does anyone know what was changed? Can't read those patch notes in Japanese unfortunately.

By the way, are there any changes between that version and the new one besides the english dub? I assume not since it's the same game, but with such a huge time gap between releases they might have added some extras or improvements.

Protome

They added Puzzle League (what Tetris Attack is called now) for free to Animal Crossing New Leaf in the recent update.

Considering buying this from the US eShop as having Tetris digitally does seem appealing. That and it should come out cheaper due to the EU eShop prices being the same as retail.

Is it better to change my accounts region so purchase history is tied to one account or to make a separate account for the US eShop?

Separate accounts unless you have a US credit/debit card. You can't change the region on an account that has money in its wallet, so if you changed region to buy Puyo Puyo and funded it with a giftcard you'd be stuck on that region.

Really annoyed this got delayed till the 12th of May for Australia >.<

I want to support the local market but then I also want to play it and could just get with my Canadian eShop account on the Switch.

On the plus side it won't get overtaken with the Mario kart 8 hype here at least.

XaosWolf

If you mean the Pro Controller, then I have some bad news for you.

Dear god no. The rest of my Pro Controller is solid, but the dpad has awful travel time even without the over sensitivity issues.

I mean the separate button dpad on the joycons. They have some great tactile feedback for precise Tetrimino placement.

Dear god no. The rest of my Pro Controller is solid, but the dpad has awful travel time even without the over sensitivity issues.

I mean the separate button dpad on the joycons. They have some great tactile feedback for precise Tetrimino placement.
Agreed. I'm surprised how much I like the separated d-pad on the left joy-cod for Tetris.

XaosWolf

Agreed. I'm surprised how much I like the separated d-pad on the left joy-cod for Tetris.

Just wish there was a single joycon control scheme that lets you flip the controller and use the dpad to move/drop and the the joystick to rotate. (Possibly use one of the L buttons for hold instead of up or down on the stick)

I laughed.

Joycon has the d-pad, Pro controller has the d-bad.

Lucifon

Think I'll grab this digitally. Cheapest you can find it on Switch is around £32 which is only £3 quid less than digital and digital for a game like this makes a whole lot more sense.

As a result I'll probably hold off on MK8D, already got a pretty big fill of that on the WiiU.

Top Bottom