• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Fire announce new album Everything Now, out July 28, titular single out now

Blader

Saw them tonight. Fucking great show. I had seen them once before, three years ago, and that was a great time but I think they topped themselves with this one. I was skeptical of the 360 degree stage at first, but tonight sold me on it -- doesn't hamper the presentation/light show at all, and gives you a way closer view of the band, whether you're on the floor or in seats, than you normally would.

Too many highlights to name... Haiti, Neon Bible, The Suburbs, Ready to Start, Sprawl, Reflektor, Afterlife, Creature Comfort, Put Your Money on Me, Keep the Car Running. And after missing it last time, finally got to see No Cars Go!

The band's energy is infectious, especially Regine. Good crowd too. Just an awesome night. Anyone going to one of their shows on this tour is in for a hell of a time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Saw them tonight. Fucking great show. I had seen them once before, three years ago, and that was a great time but I think they topped themselves with this one. I was skeptical of the 360 degree stage at first, but tonight sold me on it -- doesn't hamper the presentation/light show at all, and gives you a way closer view of the band, whether you're on the floor or in seats, than you normally would.

Too many highlights to name... Haiti, Neon Bible, The Suburbs, Ready to Start, Sprawl, Reflektor, Afterlife, Creature Comfort, Put Your Money on Me, Keep the Car Running. And after missing it last time, finally got to see No Cars Go!

The band's energy is infectious, especially Regine. Good crowd too. Just an awesome night. Anyone going to one of their shows on this tour is in for a hell of a time.
I was there as well. Great show, good setlist. Sprawl II then Reflektor then Afterlife was my favorite stretch.

I had cheapo balcony seats and got upgraded to really good loge seats for free, and I don't really even know why. Maybe because I bought them during the pre-sale? Either way, it was nice.

I was there as well. Great show, good setlist. Sprawl II then Reflektor then Afterlife was my favorite stretch.

I had cheapo balcony seats and got upgraded to really good loge seats for free, and I don't really even know why. Maybe because I bought them during the pre-sale? Either way, it was nice.
In all honesty it's probably because outside of a few places like LA or NYC they shouldn't be playing such large arenas just yet.

New album is ok, but even divorced from that I don't think they had enough appeal even before it to fill the arenas they booked on this tour. Over here tickets are still available basically at every level and a friend I'm going with in pit let me know more of our friends will be going because barring maybe the last few rows before the floor and pit any ticket in the arena was now on sale at $21 and the show is in about two weeks.

Hyped they seem to be putting on a good show and to finally be seeing them upclose after being in the nosebleeds for the Suburbs tour but I just hope it's not to a half empty arena.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
In all honesty it's probably because outside of a few places like LA or NYC they shouldn't be playing such large arenas just yet.
That's true but there were still people sitting in the section my original seats were in. I was just wondering why some people got upgraded while others didn't. I'm sure the intent was just to fully fill in the lower bowl.

Blader

The lower level seating seemed pretty filled out to me. The floor less so but it's hard to tell because you can only see like half of it unless you've got a bird's eye view from the nosebleeds or something. In any case it definitely doesn't feel half empty but I also liked that it wasn't claustrophobically packed.

Yeah I think so too. Maybe I'd say Neon Bible to Afterlife for me, though that's about a third of the whole set, heh.

vatstep

I think a lot people who didn't like the new album but see them on this tour may have a different appreciation for it afterwards. It made me realize that We Don't Deserve Love is an amazing song, at least.

chaislip3

I've seen them three times, and this was definitely the best. Wow wow wow. Wake Up with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band was life changing.

Travo

Has anybody seen this tour yet? I'm going Thursday in Georgia.
Edit: never mind, I see this thread was bumped already. I kind of wish Preservation Hall Jazz Band was our opening act.

Travo

The show was amazing, best concert I’ve ever been to. They played every song I really wanted to hear. I was on my feet the whole. I love the energy that they have while performing, especially Will. He really got the crowd going during Rebellion.

mojiimbo

How does the 360 stage work? I was hesitant to buy seats because I didn't want to watch them play with their backs turned to me and the floor seats sold out pretty much immediately.

Travo

THe middle part of the stage rotated around, really cool . The members of the band shift around so it’s constantly changing.

Blader

How does the 360 stage work? I was hesitant to buy seats because I didn't want to watch them play with their backs turned to me and the floor seats sold out pretty much immediately.

The band moves spots in between songs and Win will move around the stage a lot during songs. Regine usually sticks to the same place when she's just playing an instrument, but when she's singing she makes her way around the stage.

I wasn't sure about how the 360 stage would work out either because I had seats too, but it really worked out in my experience. I had a way better way view of the band than I had on their last tour (where I also had the seats) because the center stage puts them so much closer to you. Frankly, I think you're better off with lower-bowl seats than being on the floor, because you'll get a wider view of the band/stage and all the production happening around them than from down on the floor.

Hey, if anybody is looking for tickets for the Seattle show in October - I've got four 121 level seats that I'm looking to sell for cost. Still going to the show, just decided to spring for floor tickets instead.

To people who have seen the show, how long is Arcade Fire's set?

Support time is obviously harder to predict, but I'm just wondering because I have a 7:30pm show, and I have a class early next morning. I will probably skip it versus not going to the show though.

Blader

To people who have seen the show, how long is Arcade Fire's set?

Support time is obviously harder to predict, but I'm just wondering because I have a 7:30pm show, and I have a class early next morning. I will probably skip it versus not going to the show though.

From about 9 to 11.

Yeah they came on at 9 on the dot in NYC—Grandmaster Flash actually started 10 or 15 minutes late due to tech difficulties and was very awkwardly and unceremoniously cut short by the schedule.

So you can expect the whole thing to be done by eleven.

Travo

From about 9 to 11.

Yeah, Wolf Parade was finished before 8:15 and it took 45 minutes for Arcade Fire to start. The cowboy personality that appears on the video screen got really annoying real fast.

I just want to say how phenomenal the lighting was.

From about 9 to 11.

Thanks!
Yeah, Wolf Parade was finished before 8:15 and it took 45 minutes for Arcade Fire to start. The cowboy personality that appears on the video screen got really annoying real fast.

I'm really jealous that Wolf Parade played at your show.

Hands down one of my favorite bands, and I haven't had the opportunity to see them live yet. :/

Neifirst

This show was phenomenal - Signs of Life, Put Your Money on Me, We Don't Deserve Love, and Creature Comfort were especially great. Thanks to a typical late arriving Miami crowd, we managed to be right at the front of the stage and got fantastic views of the whole band. Win even came out during Wolf Parade's set and walked among the crowd - got to shake his hand and say a quick "hello!". Also got to tap boxing gloves with Will as the band entered the arena.

Blader

The lights + disco balls on Sprawl are so good.

Saw them last Night in Seattle, great show, and Phantogram was a great opener.
Was at the same show, first time seeing them live. Absolutely perfect setlist - good mix of all five albums (could've done with one more Reflektor track) - and the presentation was AMAZING. Best 'in the round' concert I've ever seen - we were on the 'wrong' side of the stage (opposite Phantogram), and still got a stunning show. Got really good positioning on the floor, and my roommate even caught a drumstick.

If you get a chance, absolutely see it. Even if this album isn't Arcade Fire at their best, this tour absolutely is.

Chris R

fuck i forgot it was tonight, i was going to buy cheap tix :/

i really didn't expect it to sell well, SD has shitty concert crowds

I'd guess the stands were maybe half full at best. There were a few hundred people on the floor.

Terrific show even if it was just a little too loud for my personal tastes. The boxing ring really works for them, so high energy and bouncing all around, you won't miss a thing from any seat. WTF at people leaving before the encore though, they missed Wake Up!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
lucky San Diegoans getting Tunnels last night.

also the crowds for this tour tie into Win talking about them not doing a giant production like this again for a long long time

lucky San Diegoans getting Tunnels last night.

also the crowds for this tour tie into Win talking about them not doing a giant production like this again for a long long time
It's a shame. They curtained off about half of the 200 levels seats at KeyArena, meaning they probably only sold about 75% of a 17,000 venue. Going in the round is a bold choice, but I really feel like rock acts rarely have the pull to make it worthwhile. Muse did something similar last year, and their Portland show had huge gaps on the floor.

This is a big production that brings out the best in their catalog, but it's happening on a down album for them.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It's a shame. They curtained off about half of the 200 levels seats at KeyArena, meaning they probably only sold about 75% of a 17,000 venue. Going in the round is a bold choice, but I really feel like rock acts rarely have the pull to make it worthwhile. Muse did something similar last year, and their Portland show had huge gaps on the floor.

This is a big production that brings out the best in their catalog, but it's happening on a down album for them.

I mean, if Arcade Fire sold 13000 tickets in San Diego, that's still pretty spectacular in this day and age for a band that doesn't have a huge hit and is on a down album.

I'll be curious to see what the Forum looks like tomorrow night. During Reflektor they played it two nights, and the schedule originally made it look like they could add a second night if needed, but it sounds like their shows have been slow in general.

On one hand, I wouldn't really mind seeing them go back to a more stripped down production and slightly smaller venues tho.

Top Bottom