• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

Oh heck yeah i'm glad someone made a thread

Either I haven't seen them or they've gone without me noticing but where in tarnation is the PR for this game? I've seen exactly two things; one small livestream from IGN and one from GameXplain.

Basically, I'm trying to find out what exactly is included in the game skin/map wise.

GameXplain shows the menu for a few seconds and It looks like there's Battle and Beasts, Battle and Beasts 2, one of the Festive sets, and Greek Mythology skin packs are unlocked, with the others showing the locked icon (which I'm guessing will be purchaseable ones)
The guy from the one review site in the other thread mentioned that there's a Marvel set that seems to be purchaseable...but I haven't seen any pics. There's also some other ones that I don't see like the Doctor Who ones.

Map wise, I'm assuming the City, Natural and Medieval map skins will be available like the Wii U..and obviously the Mario one. But that's the biggest problem, is that I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything about the stuff the game has besides Mario skins.

You can play online now for free, but Nintendo is doing something with online stuff in the fall. Since there's no voice chat online, I recommend getting Hangouts or something similar to use.

No music controls, its just one long continuous soundtrack, although there's jukeboxes you can craft to change the music. I usually turn the music down or off.

If you're doing creative mode, you can put blocks down anywhere and kind of make your own map, especially on a "Superflat" world (where there's one solid block base). In Adventure mode you can make it so you can't break blocks, but that's mainly if you're showing it off to someone.

And yep, you can play on anyone on your friend's list's world in their choosing of mode. For instance, if someone makes a Creative World, and you go and play, they can convert you to Survival while they remain in Creative, allowing a sort of "dungeon master" scenario.

Achievements were in the Wii U version. They basically activate after doing something in survival mode (like...i think one was taming 5 wolves or something). They're more "in game achievements" than anything system based.

Alright sounds great. Thanks for the answers!

Ninja Dom

I've just seen on the eShop preview page that this version supports the Touchscreen.

Do you reckon it'll be able to be played in the way that the phone/tablet versions can be played?

Cerium

I've just seen on the eShop preview page that this version supports the Touchscreen.

Do you reckon it'll be able to be played in the way that the phone/tablet versions can be played?
On the last page we have impressions saying it works like the Vita touchscreen features; menus and inventory selection.

Vidiot

Have you heard of survival mode? No creativity required, and a great timesink. I'd at least recommend looking into it, it's the only reason I touch Minecraft.

I'll check I it out. I mean I'm interested in the game because of how much everyone seems to love it. I feel like i should at least give it a chance.

GameXplain shows the menu for a few seconds and It looks like there's Battle and Beasts, Battle and Beasts 2, one of the Festive sets, and Greek Mythology skin packs are unlocked, with the others showing the locked icon (which I'm guessing will be purchaseable ones)

It's the same as the Wii U and PS4/Xbox One Fan-Favorites packs. Switch out those versions' LittleBigPlanet and Halo Packs with the Mario Mash-Up and you'll see what's tin the Switch version.

Currently, trying to buy any other skin pack takes you to the eShop, which doesn't have entries for those items up yet.

Is that possible? I don't know how Minecraft servers work.

Currently, online play has you creating a world with online enabled and that world staying up for people in your Friends List to join as long as you're online. Actually not sure if there's a handshake if you start a world, someone joins and then you leave. Should try that.

Is that possible? I don't know how Minecraft servers work.

I don't think it does at least for this version. You can get a "Seed" number which replicates a already generated seed for a world; basically the layout when the world was first generated.

If they implement Realms anyone could go on anyone's world even if they weren't on (as long as they're friends of course) which seems like it'd replicate a dedicated server that the PC versions use

NMFried

Ok, thanks for the info.
Now we just need to bug them in the official forum for a proper implementation....

Not a bad idea. The community managers are some of the nicest I've ever worked with for a game, and they definitely do listen. Here's hoping!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As someone who hasn't played since...Uh...Well, before the game got big, how much of an issue is the size compared to PC? Like, will I ever really notice the smaller map limits?

As someone who hasn't played since...Uh...Well, before the game got big, how much of an issue is the size compared to PC? Like, will I ever really notice the smaller map limits?

Idk if there were maps when you played or if you remember how much ground the maps covered, but if im correct it should be big enough to fill 24 maps.

U2NUMB

Will be my first ever purchase off any Nintendo online store. Do they accept paypal?

Looking forward to creative mode on this version.. should be fun.

Piggus

Aren't iPad minecraft world sizes infinite now?

Yes, but it's mainly meaningless without all of the mods and resources that the PC version has. The PC version allows a community with hundreds of players to develop around and build massive worlds with tons of options that protect people's work and make building more streamlined. It's a different game entirely. So unless consoles and mobile were to get that level of support, the world size doesn't mean nearly as much when it's just several people messing around.

MrGerbils

Does this support local ad-hoc multiplayer between multiple consoles? A buddy and I ride public transit to work together, both have switches, and would be great to play. Or do you have to connect online?

Doffen

Yes, but it's mainly meaningless without all of the mods and resources that the PC version has. The PC version allows a community with hundreds of players to develop around and build massive worlds with tons of options that protect people's work and make building more streamlined. It's a different game entirely. So unless consoles and mobile were to get that level of support, the world size doesn't mean nearly as much when it's just several people messing around.

Isn't that what realms is about.

Versions of Mincraft I own:

PC (original)
Windows 10 Edition
Xbox One Edition
Xbox 360 Edition
PS4 Edition
Vita Edition
Wii U Edition
Pocket Edition (iPhone)
Pocket Edition (Windows Phone)
Pocket Edition (Google Play Store)
Pocket Edition (Gear VR)

And after tomorrow:

Nintendo Switch Edition (Daughters Switch)
Nintendo Switch Edition (My Switch)

I thought I was bad for quadruple dipping, lol :p

PC (original)
Windows 10 Edition
Xbox One Edition
Xbox 360 Edition
PS4 Edition
Vita Edition
Wii U Edition
Pocket Edition (iPhone)
Pocket Edition (Gear VR)

And after tomorrow:

You ain't the only one. I own all of these:

PS4 Edition
PC Edition (Original)
Windows 10 Original
Xbox 360 Edition
Xbox One Edition

After tomorrow: Nintendo Switch Addition

Really excited for this as if I'm going into it for my first time, maybe it's just being able to play this portably. Anyways, super happy for this and I've been looking forward for this since it was announced.

Don't understand why people want a physical copy of a 500MB game that will see a bunch of patches so that what's on the game card isn't even the full game anymore. Never played it before, but minecraft seems like the perfect "always on your system" game.

Cerium

Heads up: According to the eShop page the game is coming 9 hours later than usual.

5fXhhWP.png

That will be 6PM PST / 9PM EST.

Don't understand why people want a physical copy of a 500MB game that will see a bunch of patches so that what's on the game card isn't even the full game anymore. Never played it before, but minecraft seems like the perfect "always on your system" game.

Yup, Overwatch and Smash Bros/Pokemon fits that category also.

When I get a Switch, Oddly I do think I may have a decent portion digital games simply because of the convenience of the Switch form factor.

I really hope Nintendo gets it right. Minecraft is a perfect game for the Switch.

PC (original)
Windows 10 Edition
Xbox One Edition
Xbox 360 Edition
PS4 Edition
Vita Edition
Wii U Edition
Pocket Edition (iPhone)
Pocket Edition (Gear VR)

And after tomorrow:

Damn. 👏👏👏

And I thought I was overdoing it owning it on iOS, PS4,xbox360,Xbox one, vita x2

It's more of a collectors thing really. Not saying I necessarily want this game physical but I just like game carts. It depends on the platform, on PC I wanted everything digital but on switch I want everything physical.

molnizzle

Bummer. Just got back from bar hoping to spend $30 to buy Minecraft again. I'll probably have come to my senses by tomorrow.

Piggus

Isn't that what realms is about.

No. Realms supports up to 11 people on the server. Some PC servers, such as Hypixel, support literally thousands of players at once (Hypixel has 11,000 people on it right now can max out at 59,000). That, plus endless server mods and customization, completely changes the game from a co-op survival adventure game to essentially an MMO.

https://hypixel.net/

Top Bottom