• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say as a plain looking guy the whole idea of messaging gets cray anyway

Be sincere: no response
Try to get to know the other person: no response
Try to start conversation from someone's profile: no response
Try to start a convo from someone's status update: one terse response

Very soon I just said fuck it and began to keep things short. Although I would never write about my peeing tho

I thought the first one was kind of cute. The guy really wanted start a conversation lol. Since you are here, what's your overall experience with that site?

First one was okay, kind of trying too hard but not terrible. I don't understand the one liners the most, since they seem the most pointless. Then I chalk it up to maybe people just getting up the nerve to say anything. Still I'm less likely to engage someone who just sends a "hi" or "hello".

The worst generic one I've got so far has to be this one:

Based on the profile I've read, I'd very much like to know more about you :)

It just seems so robotic.

The idea that we all are devolving is kind of fun to think about, I was just talking to my cousin about this like 4 hours ago. We started from Pangaea, and as the continents split apart we all evolved, and now as the continents are all coming together we all are devolving. Well that's what your screen name reminded me of, so what does it really mean?
I always cringe when I see people talking about evolution and they've got it all wrong.
Apart from that, that one wasn't so bad.
Maybe you (or another member of girl-gaf) could post what a good message could be like?

Based on the profile I've read, I'd very much like to know more about you :)

Pretty sure that one was a T-800 infiltrator unit.

Ferrio

Banned
First one was okay, kind of trying too hard but not terrible. I don't understand the one liners the most, since they seem the most pointless. Then I chalk it up to maybe people just getting up the nerve to say anything. Still I'm less likely to engage someone who just sends a "hi" or "hello".

What's your OKcupid account, I wish to try my luck!

I always cringe when I see people talking about evolution and they've got it all wrong.
Maybe you (or another member of girl-gaf) could post what a good message could be like?
You should see Timedog's OKC profile if you haven't already.

These are the most decent in my in box at the moment:

Ah, I don't normally feel OK messaging people who are seeing someone but you seemed like a genuinely honest person that I'd like to meet in person. And yeah, cute eyes too but really, it was the honesty.

So that's that. Just wanted to say hi. Let me know if you are interested to talk.

Hahaha! Your profile is pretty awesome. Don't give a shit much? :) I play Halo as well. I really am amused by these Dating sites. What the hell happened to the days where we just went up to people and were like "hey, you look like fun, let me buy you a drink." But that's the sweet irony of technology. My name is Danny. If ya care to message me, I'd be down to chat. Later.

"I don't know what I could possibly write about myself that doesn't sound hackneyed, hokey or pretentious. Hell even that sentence sounded uppity."

I thought the same thing, so I went with pretentious. Probably neither of our personalities really shine through here. Anyway, hello.

Cheers,
Josh

This guy gets witty points:

Are we not men?

I've concluded that mine are going to be weird due to the fact that I'm not listed as single. The rest of 'em are written terribly or just complimentary without getting to any point.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Looking at Okcupid in my area (Jacksonville), i'm actually kind of surprised that they're so many pretty women on the site. Although they're ALSO combination of fat, unattractive and pregnant (dating while pregnant? really?)/already have kids at fucking 21-22 women on there.

Those free dating sites are not very good. The quality of woman you meet is much lower than on one like match.com in my experience. The decent looking women just get way too many responses on those so return is low. Also, I've found that alot of the women are not as serious on the free ones and just playing around. Writing out long thoughtful messages to women on them is pointless as well. Just write a small message and cut and paste to as many women as possible for best results. Writing out something more is a waste of time. If they respond then go from there. I have found that most women that go out with you on the sites will have sex on the first date though as long as you keep them interested conversation wise and don't act awkward on the date. I'd say atleast 80% of them in my experience.

Ferrio

Banned
Match is bullshit. People not paying should be able to read messages. What's the point of paying to send messages when you don't know the person is even receiving them.

Such a scam.

Looking at Okcupid in my area (Jacksonville), i'm actually kind of surprised that they're so many pretty women on the site. Although they're ALSO combination of fat, unattractive and pregnant (dating while pregnant? really?)/already have kids at fucking 21-22 women on there.

I'm sure a lot of them are strippers too.

These are the most decent in my in box at the moment:

This guy gets witty points:

I've concluded that mine are going to be weird due to the fact that I'm not listed as single. The rest of 'em are written terribly or just complimentary without getting to any point.

Thanks!
So the message (lol) is: make your message creative and context-sensitive, right?

Thanks!
So the message (lol) is: make your message creative and context-sensitive, right?

Yes. If I get a chuckle out of reading it, dude's done good. A great witty line means more to me than a paragraph of compliments. It might be different for some women but if she's just interested in hearing how fabulous she is, then she's probably not worth the message sent anyway.

Holy fucking shit, this is amazing. Sadly, I don't have the massive amounts of confidence required to back this kind of profile. I'd just be setting the bar too high and disappointment would follow when we actually meet.

Oh and best of luck to you guys, just saw the pics in the other thread. So sweet.
Yeah, for once I'm trying not to be a bitter asshole

It might be different for some women but if she's just interested in hearing how fabulous she is, then she's probably not worth the message sent anyway.
Not only that, women hear that one ALL the time.

Here's the explanation:

lol, such a simple explanation. That one seriously bugged me, now I can finally sleep. Thanks.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Warning: OKCupid girls are flaky.

Be sincere: no response
Try to get to know the other person: no response
Try to start conversation from someone's profile: no response
Try to start a convo from someone's status update: one terse response

These have been my experience more or less.

I don't even send messages out anymore, and perhaps my profile reads a little bit jaded. But as a "decent" looking dude (or so I've been told), I get about 2-3 messages a month on average.

And of those maybe 2-3 times a year there will be a girl worth responding too.

The worst is when you actually get into a decent conversation with someone, go back and forth for a bit, and then they straight up delete their account and vanish for seemingly no reason.

It's hard not to be jaded

entremet

Match is bullshit. People not paying should be able to read messages. What's the point of paying to send messages when you don't know the person is even receiving them.

Such a scam.

Higher quality dating pool. It's not even close. But I did the free trial lol.

I've been using the site on and off for a little over a year... it works really well for getting dates.

You have to go at it the right way though. Don't expect a matchmaking service or a site that's going to set you up with your future spouse. It's simply a tool to exchange phone numbers with other singles who are looking for a date, not even necessarily a real relationship, but a date. It works well if your expectations are in check and you realize the website has absolutely zero play once you actually meet in-person. I've met some really cool chicks who were on that site, and a shared a real spark with a few of them.

Now we need to see Timedog's message :0

Timedog on OKC said:
i see that you gave me 5 stars. Wanna fuck?

Holy fucking shit, this is amazing. Sadly, I don't have the massive amounts of confidence required to back this kind of profile. I'd just be setting the bar too high and disappointment would follow when we actually meet.

Oh and best of luck to you guys, just saw the pics in the other thread. So sweet.
Yeah, for once I'm trying not to be a bitter asshole

=)

omg gurl TD and I are a 75% match

watch yo backkk

99%.

These have been my experience more or less.

I don't even send messages out anymore, and perhaps my profile reads a little bit jaded. But as a "decent" looking dude (or so I've been told), I get about 2-3 messages a month on average.

And of those maybe 2-3 times a year there will be a girl worth responding too.

The worst is when you actually get into a decent conversation with someone, go back and forth for a bit, and then they straight up delete their account and vanish for seemingly no reason.

It's hard not to be jaded
Yea I don't understand online dating well, not to mention lack of photos and it's real hard for my personality to shine through. Can't think of any witty comments

I was trying to just have a conversation they this other woman on this book we both like. Yea after 3 single-sentence messages I gave up

omg gurl TD and I are a 75% match

watch yo backkk
78% match
GD4a8.gif

Edit:

Damn...

I guess you two really are soul mates.

Sai-kun

Banned

aw what the fuck? #shotdown

dayum.

OKC is weird. I've exchanged a few messages back and forth but nothing really ever pans out. :| I only just signed up a couple weeks ago because my friend did as well. I'm not really sure what my profile should look like but eh, whatever.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Yea I don't understand online dating well, not to mention lack of photos and it's real hard for my personality to shine through. Can't think of any witty comments

You really need to have at least one photo.

Though I've seen enough profiles with just plain bad photos, and I don't understand why people would want that to be what represents themself

The idea that we all are devolving is kind of fun to think about, I was just talking to my cousin about this like 4 hours ago. We started from Pangaea, and as the continents split apart we all evolved, and now as the continents are all coming together we all are devolving. Well that's what your screen name reminded me of, so what does it really mean?

Okay this one is hilarious after Devolution told me what her username meant (basically it's meaningless).

I was trying to just have a conversation they this other woman on this book we both like. Yea after 3 single-sentence messages I gave up
You probably should have changed the subject instead of trying to force it. Just because someone enjoyed something doesn't necessarily mean they have a lot to say about it.

You probably should have changed the subject instead of trying to force it. Just because someone enjoyed something doesn't necessarily mean they have a lot to say about it.

You are most certainly right. It was hard tho because anything I asked garnered a one sentence response. She most likely wasnt interested

-PXG-

I've met quite a few girls off OKC. Most were normal, polite and fairly attractive. Some were crazy, but a lot of fun. I've had a few relationships too, but nothing long-term. The ones that I ended up having relationships were freaks...in a good way ;)

I really wish I lived in NYC though. It's almost too easy there. Fuck. Jersey sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom