• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| The offseason thread - Season 3 returns March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
xjFimmJ.jpg

***Please read the rules regarding spoilers below.***

Game of Thrones is a television series on HBO based on the best selling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

Why this thread you say?
Due to the nature of this show being an adaption of George R.R. Martin’s novels, there has been a ton of discussion in-between the seasons on the adaption of the book to the screen and people following the casting of new characters and the tidbits from the lengthy filming schedule. The offseason thread is designed for that discussion.

hMFzQ.jpg

Cast
Season 3 will see a number of new cast members, you can see the new cast members in this section. It will updated as new casting announcements are made. To see the full cast for the first two seasons, check out WiC.net's cast page and
HBO’s cast page.

New cast for season 3:
Diana Rigg (Lady Olenna Tyrell), Mackenzie Crook (Orell), Clive Russell (Bryndon “The Blackfish” Tully), Nathalie Emannuel (Missandei), Kerry Ingram (Shireen Baratheon), Paul Kaye (Thoros of Myr)
nGrTe.jpg
pdyoy.jpg
dvfV1.jpg
qMoRE.jpg
3Y8ga.jpg
DV6tX.jpg

Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed), Ellie Kendrick (Meera Reed), Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrion), Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane), Philip McGinley (Anguy), Tara Fitzgerald (Selyse Baratheon)
sJI6b.jpg
2IQJC.jpg
Rz63R.jpg
HSgkB.jpg
Rqbhp.jpg
kXJPa.jpg

Tobias Menzies (Edmure Tully), Anton Lesser (Qyburn), Iwan Rheon (Boy), Noah Taylor (Locke), Ciaran Hinds (Mance Rayder), Dan Hildebrand (Kraznys)
9a0mB.jpg
qcAI6.jpg
qAjoY.jpg
htWJd5i.jpg
CyDslat.jpg
4g1ZIw0.jpg

Ramon Tikaram (Prendahl), Ed Skrein (Daario Naharis), Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm)
IPYkW82.jpg
0wto1MP.jpg
gPDsFyF.jpg

HBO released a video at SDCC highlighting some of the new cast members.

Crew
The same writing staff from season 2 will return to write season 3 including David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, Vanessa Taylor, and George R.R. Martin. The directors for season 3 is a mix of returning and new directors. Returning directors include Dan Minahan, David Nutter, and Alik Sakharov. New directors to the series include Alex Graves (The West Wing), Michelle MacLaren (Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead), and show runners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss.

obTUa.jpg

Season 3
Game of Thrones returns for its third season on March 31st, 2013. The season will once again consist of 10 episodes. For those that have read the novels, the third season will cover roughly the first half of A Storm of Swords.

Episodes

301: Valar Dohaeris (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Dan Minahan)
302: Dark Wings, Dark Words (Written by Vanessa Taylor, Directed by Dan Minahan)
303: Walk of Punishment (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss)
304: And Now His Watch is Ended (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alex Graves)
305: Kissed by Fire (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Alex Graves)
306: The Climb (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alik Sakharov)
307: The Bear and the Maiden Fair (Written by George R.R. Martin, Directed by Michelle MacLaren)
308: (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Michelle MacLaren)
309: The Rains of Castamere (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter)
310: Mhysa (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter)

yJFeE.jpg

Links

Recent News

GAF Threads
TV Threads:

Book Threads:

hgJ45.jpg

In this thread we will use the spoiler rules that have been in use the tagged spoilers TV threads. Your spoilers are allowed in the thread, but please tag them with the appropriate book or tag “series” for series spoilers for something that would give away if a character is still alive or dead at a certain future point in the series.

Properly using spoiler tags:
Good usage:
  • [ASOS]
    Put your spoilers from A Storm of Swords here and talk about whatever you want from that book.
    It’s obvious which book you’re talking about and all content is tagged.
Poor usage:
  • Example #1:
    There's no label on this one, so no one knows what books it's from.
    Label which book you’re talking about.
  • Example #2:
    Hodor’s best Hodor is when [ASOS]
    HODOR
    Don’t confirm which characters are alive in which books. Always put the character name and content inside a spoiler tag.
  • Example #3:
    I don’t like it when Hodor does the Hodor in that scene.
    [ASOS]
    HODOR
    This is the same problem as above. We know which character you're talking about because of what you quoted, and then you confirm that he's alive in the third book. Your best bet is to just label it as a [series spoiler] and leave it at that.

x19pm.jpg

• This thread is for discussion of the upcoming third season including adaption speculation, casting, filming, etc.
  • Game of Thrones returns on March 31st, 2013.
  • Winter is Coming.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Oh man can't wait for [ASOS spoilers]
EVERYONE TO DIE. I think red wedding will happen at the end of this season.

Levi

Banned
I hate hate hate the (rumored) Ramsay casting. First time I've felt let down by the casting in GoT. However, I hope I'm wrong and their guy doesn't just do a reprise of his Misfits role (noting that season 1 is the only one I've seen).

I also hope that they add back to Roose some of the character touches they cut from ACOK. The leech lord needs his leeches.

ASOS
Seeing as how Roose and Arya are important to the overall story and Tywin dies on a toilet, putting him over at the expense of of those two characters seems pretty dumb.

Venfayth

I've finally finished reading all the books! Hooray! I can read all the spoilers!

[ASOS]
Ugh, the red wedding. I kept hoping that was like a dream or something.

suzu

Excited about Iwan Rheon. lol.

Even though (ASOS? series)
I hate the fucking character he might be playing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Guy playing Tormund reminds me of Mastodon's Brent Hinds.

Haven't seen Iwan Rheon in anything, but looks-wise he seems a good fit for Ramsay. The recent set leak has me really excited for his scenes.

haha yeah, "Boy" casting looks perfect.

Why do the producers do this shit? Same thing happened with Jeyne Mystery Last Name last year.

haha yeah, "Boy" casting looks perfect.

Why do the producers do this shit? Same thing happened with Jeyne Mystery Last Name last year.

Series spoilers/season 3 speculation
I assume it's because it's not revealed who he is in the show right away. I thought I read somewhere that it says the character "befriends Theon", so I assume he basically pulls a Reek on Theon and later reveals himself (maybe after the RW).

Any word on when the Season 2 DVD comes out? I don't have HBO so I can't use On Demand or HBO Go.
Next February/March is a good bet. A few weeks to a month before the new season starts.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Any word on when the Season 2 DVD comes out? I don't have HBO so I can't use On Demand or HBO Go.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Man, Clive Russell in that picture looks 100% how I pictured Blackfish Tully in my head. It's eerie. Same with Anton Lesser as Qyburn and the dude who is Giantsbane.

I don't get the Orell casting though. [ASOS]
I mean he got ambushed, killed quickly and has more book-time as a disembodied spirit inside an eagle than an actual human being. So unless they give a voice to the eagle then it seems they'll give a much bigger part than he played in the book. Not sure why they'd do that since he was relevant as an eagle and not a person. Unless it's a red-herring and the dude playing him is actually Mance Rayder.

Levi

Banned
Why would they make Ramsay a mystery character? He's already been revealed as leading the Northern contingent who head out to liberate Winterfell.

And they could have announced Oona's character as Talisa or whatever. There was no reason not to. All these rumors that she'd be Jeyne Lannister or whatever turned out to be bullshit. asos
Not every doomed romance has to be Romeo and Juliet.

suzu

I don't get the Orell casting though. [ASOS]
I mean he got ambushed, killed quickly and has more book-time as a disembodied spirit inside an eagle than an actual human being. So unless they give a voice to the eagle then it seems they'll give a much bigger part than he played in the book. Not sure why they'd do that since he was relevant as an eagle and not a person. Unless it's a red-herring and the dude playing him is actually Mance Rayder.

Probably going to (ASOS/ADWD)
combine Orell and Varamyr together as one person.

UraMallas

ASOS
Seeing as how Roose and Arya are important to the overall story and Tywin dies on a toilet, putting him over at the expense of of those two characters seems pretty dumb.

Series
Except that the other two mentioned are still alive where as any development for Tywin has to be done now.

Levi

Banned
Why would they make Ramsay a mystery character? He's already been revealed as leading the Northern contingent who head out to liberate Winterfell.

And they could have announced Oona's character as Talisa or whatever. There was no reason not to. All these rumors that she'd be Jeyne Lannister or whatever turned out to be bullshit. asos
Not every doomed romance has to be Romeo and Juliet.

Enosh

Oh man can't wait for [ASOS spoilers]
EVERYONE TO DIE. I think red wedding will happen at the end of this season.
asos/acok
valar morghulis ^^

reading ADWD right now
who the fuck is this new martel guy and why should I care, why the hell does everyone and their grandmother want to marry and or fuck Kelly C, why the fucking fuck does Tyrion want to kill Jaime? seriously the fuck is up with the imp, I am starting to hate him -.-

otoh Jon and Stannis are the best bro team ever, paraphrasing:
"his majesty is starting to like you"
"I noticed he only threatened to behead me twice"

more Jon and Stannis less whiny Tyrion and Dany!

jayb

asos/acok
valar morghulis ^^

reading ADWD right now
who the f*** is this new martel guy and why should I care, why the hell does everyone and their grandmother want to marry and or f*** Kelly C, why the f****** f*** does Tyrion want to kill Jaime? seriously the f*** is up with the imp, I am starting to hate him -.-

otoh Jon and Stannis are the best bro team ever, paraphrasing:
"his majesty is starting to like you"
"I noticed he only threatened to behead me twice"

more Jon and Stannis less whiny Tyrion and Dany!

ADWD
Quentyn Martell was talked about in AFFC, so he's not really new. But new as a POV character, yes.

Enosh

ADWD
Quentyn Martell was talked about in AFFC, so he's not really new. But new as a POV character, yes.
adwd/series
ooooh yeah the brother the sister was whining about thinking he wanted to take her position, completely forgot, somehow tried to block the martel chapters out of my memory :p

but this brings me to another point, why the fuck are the martels still holding a grudge? Tywin is dead, gregor is dead, armory is dead, do they want to kill all lannisters for what happened? by that same logic the lannisters, baratheons, starks etc would be completely within their right to kill all the martels because they sided with the loosing side during roberts rebellion...

Provided the rumours are true, I am glad that the show expands on bits that we never experienced in the books. Looking forward to see the third season in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom