• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2017 (Aug 07 - Aug 13)

Oregano

The relationship is so opposite, that I wonder why capcom didn't just panic pr saying that world was also coming to switch

The obvious reason would that World isn't coming to Switch?

Sure, i know, thats why i said that its a different arguement than what i had. The discussion above here talks about advertisement, and saying that its a bad idea to do a different release in the same IP. Thats why i think MHXX for Switch feels like a non-event. Its doesnt really seem like a big deal, even if it gets more advertisement than indicated, and it doesnt seem like the port and MHW affects eachother much.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. MHW's announcement and promotion pre-XX release has a direct adverse effect on MHXX's potential because instead of pushing people into buying a Switch and MHXX with the hope of future MH it tells them to skip Switch and XX because future MH is elsewhere.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't see how you come to that conclusion. MHW's announcement and promotion pre-XX release has a direct adverse effect on MHXX's potential because instead of pushing people into buying a Switch and MHXX with the hope of future MH it tells them to skip Switch and XX because future MH is elsewhere.
A lot of people have already bought and played the 3DS version. I dont think there is much untapped potential in the Switch version, regardless of MHW.

Yagami_Sama

I wonder how many units of the Monster Hunter XX Switch bundle were done. I was interested in one, and was not able to purchase it from eCapcom, and a few stores I saw, the prices are like U$ 450,00.

Or release the switch version at launch like people were expecting in the first place. The same period where said 3DS game came out the same time as the 3DS successor was launching. Would have avoided the crossover and sold a lot more of the switch version.
Yeah, that would've been the way to do it.
Either that or May which lacked a big 1st party release and was a month away from World's announcement
Seems like they want 3DS owners to double dip despite not offering many incentives and it doesn't benefit from being the a big HD MH with World announced

It could sell a bunch depending on how many bundles sold, tho.

It's pretty clear Capcom wrote Switch off before launch, which is a shame. We'll see how their late port tests work out

Vena

A lot of people have already bought and played the 3DS version. I dont think there is much untapped potential in the Switch version, regardless of MHW.

Well, yes, this underlines the whole mismanagement part. Had this released simultaneously, we'd not be discussing this OR the adverse affects of World (and World videos) on XX prior to launch. World wouldn't have even been announced.

I think the point is that its just a mess, nothing more or less. You're only really further raising points on how much of a mess it is because it laggs on the 3DS release by many months, which is just more evidence of it... well, being a mess.

Whatever Capcom was doing/expecting, wasn't what reality shook out to be. They're reactionary and slow, simple as that. If in the long-term is bites them in the ass, they have no one to blame but themselves (and Capcom's NA PR which was just a total mess on World/XX).

Kinda switching gears, I am curious how Fire Emblem and Xenoblade will perform on Switch. Xenoblade has come close to hitting 200K on Wii, 3DS and Wii U. Releasing Xenoblade 2 during the Switch's first holiday season is about the biggest push they could give the series. I could see Xeno 2 selling 400k. As for Fire Emblem, Fates had 3 separate versions and was on 3DS and was reaching for 600k. I'd like to see the series continue to grow but even 500k would be really good for the series.

Kinda switching gears, I am curious how Fire Emblem and Xenoblade will perform on Switch. Xenoblade has come close to hitting 200K on Wii, 3DS and Wii U. Releasing Xenoblade 2 during the Switch's first holiday season is about the biggest push they could give the series. I could see Xeno 2 selling 400k. As for Fire Emblem, Fates had 3 separate versions and was on 3DS and was reaching for 600k. I'd like to see the series continue to grow but even 500k would be really good for the series.
It will sell 200k again if that.

Most people interested in Xenoblade don't own a Switch yet. Maybe some that bought Zelda and soon Fire Emblem Warriors.

If it's a great game it might have some legs, as more people pick up a Switch for Tales and Dragon Quest.

Oregano

It will sell 200k again if that.

Most people interested in Xenoblade don't own a Switch yet. Maybe some that bought Zelda and soon Fire Emblem Warriors.

If it's a great game it might have some legs, as more people pick up a Switch for Tales and Dragon Quest.

Ain't no one buying a Switch for Tales.

I'm not sure about FEW WW sales. Don't think it'll have as much pull as HW despite being on Switch. It's one of the dullest exclusives in the line up and I'm not sure how many people care about individual FE characters. I think Nintendo might overestimate their demand seeing as they got like 5 slots in Smash. Kind of like AC amiibo

Xenoblade's best chance will probably be 2 early on Switch's life cycle. An open world JRPG of its size might impress people on the go.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
An enhanced port of World will more than likely come to Switch in late 2018. If it's not a direct port then it will be a new game using much of the same art assets built for PS4 then scaled down for Switch.

No one wastes assets on one game like that anymore due to the cost of developing them. It's basic business sense.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, yes, this underlines the whole mismanagement part. Had this released simultaneously, we'd not be discussing this OR the adverse affects of World (and World videos) on XX prior to launch. World wouldn't have even been announced.

I think the point is that its just a mess, nothing more or less. You're only really further raising points on how much of a mess it is because it laggs on the 3DS release by many months, which is just more evidence of it... well, being a mess.

Whatever Capcom was doing/expecting, wasn't what reality shook out to be. They're reactionary and slow, simple as that. If in the long-term is bites them in the ass, they have no one to blame but themselves (and Capcom's NA PR which was just a total mess on World/XX).
I dont think it would have made much of a difference anyway actually. The Switch has basically been sold out since launch, so having MHXX at launch wouldnt have made any difference in hardware sales. I dont think software sales would have been any different either, besides the Switch version "stealing" sales from the 3DS version. MHW would have been announced a few months later, and things would have been like they are now.

Sandfox

That's another way of saying "it doesn't have THE most popular characters in the franchise."

Cast is definitely an issue.

It's basically just missing Ike and Lyn, who based on past Warriors games will either be DLC or in another release. The game is pulling from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates, which is where a vast majority of the popular characters are from. The game is also looking like it will have more characters than previous Warriors collabs.

Fire Emblem Warriors Cast is not really as big an issue people think it is.

You realize that these collabs are nothing but fan service right?

Also the game looks boring, where's the Adventure Mode that we saw in Hyrule Warriors? There's nothing like it in Fire Emblem Warriors.

Overall, the game is a huge misstep.

I still have faith in it though. There's much to be revealed yet? (Tharja?)

It's basically just missing Ike and Lyn, who based on past Warriors games will either be DLC or in another release. The game is pulling from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates, which is where a vast majority of the popular characters are from. The game is also looking like it will have more characters than previous Warriors collabs.
Roy is probably just as big as those two. Smash made Roy popular

I remember any Fire Emblem game that released after Smash here in the states, the first question in the FAQ would be "is Roy/Marth in the game?" Pretty amusing.

noshten

One thing I wondered about in light of software on the Switch not getting a major bump with the release of Splatoon 2 is how many ProControllers they've sold and how buying a ¥ 9,920 accessory might effect other software.
I think that Splatoon themed ProControll hasn't exited the Amazon top 10 since the release of the game, while the standard controller has always been pretty high in the chart as well.

Perhaps that's one of the factors having an adverse effect on new buyers purchasing more than Splatoon 2 with their Switch. Wonder if we will get any data on accessories and specifically the ProController sales at some point.

Sandfox

Roy is probably just as big as those two. Smash made Roy popular

I remember any Fire Emblem game that released after Smash here in the states, the first question in the FAQ would be "is Roy/Marth in the game?" Pretty amusing.
He's popular, but I'm pretty sure that's more of a western thing and I wasn't really thinking about the west there.

(there are no popular characters other than Marth from Shadow Dragon let's be real here)

LordKano

People need to get out of their bubble and learn what the real FE fanbase is looking to.

Also the game looks boring, where's the Adventure Mode that we saw in Hyrule Warriors? There's nothing like it in Fire Emblem Warriors.

We don't know about the whole content of the game. Overall it's shaping to be better in every way than Hyrule Warriors, and that one was a massive success.

Sandfox

Adventure Mode was revealed in a Nintendo Direct a week before the game released.

sense

Or release the switch version at launch like people were expecting in the first place. The same period where said 3DS game came out the same time as the 3DS successor was launching. Would have avoided the crossover and sold a lot more of the switch version.
Maybe the switch version was just not ready and/or Nintendo's network was not ready at launch. Capcom probably wanted to release 3ds version before fiscal year and announcement of monster hunter world for other consoles at e3. It is amazing people in here assume the worst possible reason and call them dumb.... no company is knowingly going out of their way to sabotage their game. Mhw being promoted around gamescom considering their desire to grow the brand overseas isn't some crazy idea. They have already announced mhw for other platforms and people in Japan are aware of its existence so somehow this promotion isn't going to stop someone from picking up mhxx on switch if they planned to.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The obvious reason would that World isn't coming to Switch?

No shit

ggx2ac

(there are no popular characters other than Marth from Shadow Dragon let's be real here)

But characters from Shadow Dragon have appeared in the first two to three Fire Emblem games and remakes. Which means they should have some popularity from having been around for a while.

Off the top of my head.

Caeda, Tiki, Minerva, Palla, Catria, Est, Ogma.

Camus, Zeke, Sirius although I know they're one guy. lol

I know they may not be lord levels of popular but you can expect these guys to fill out the cast from Shadow Dragon.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
. They have already announced mhw for other platforms and people in Japan are aware of its existence so somehow this promotion isn't going to stop someone from picking up mhxx on switch if they planned to.

Its more that we're less than a week before launch and it does not appear that Capcom is giving XX Switch much, if any marketing.

I'm still not convinced by this, when in I keep hearing that the reason Japan plays Monster Hunter is portability. If we're to take this argument as absolute, then why would a Monster Hunter game for a console that by all accounts in Media Create threads is surely to sell less than even MHXX on the 3DS have an adverse impact on XX on Switch? MHXX on Switch will underperform because it should have launched alongside the 3DS ver. but didn't and because the series is all up experiencing a slow decline. Taking all of this into account + relatively small Switch install base, there's only one way this is going to go.

Setting up MHW as some kind of scapegoat is just...weird. It's no more of a factor than anything else I mentioned above. In fact, it's less of a factor than what I mentioned above.

An enhanced port of World will more than likely come to Switch in late 2018. If it's not a direct port then it will be a new game using much of the same art assets built for PS4 then scaled down for Switch.

No one wastes assets on one game like that anymore due to the cost of developing them.
It's basic business sense.

Yes.

ggx2ac

Tiki is popular lol. Awakening and Fates are definitely doing the heavy lifting there though.

And we also forget how Tokyo Mirage Sessions had a lot of Shadow Dragon characters, Caeda, Draug, Tiki, Navarre and Cain. The rest were Awakening characters.

Its more that we're less than a week before launch and it does not appear that Capcom is giving XX Switch much, if any marketing.
"Monster Hunter XX for Switch? never heard of it"-Capcom
And we also forget how Tokyo Mirage Sessions had a lot of Shadow Dragon characters, Caeda, Draug, Tiki, Navarre. The rest were Awakening characters.
just because they were featured elsewhere doesn't make them popular, only Caeda and young Tiki are even kind of popular, the other FE11 people uh.....

sense

That probably has more to do with them not expecting the port to do all that well and not wanting to waste any marketing spend on it which could be used for their big bet in mhw. Another reason could be Switch is popular enough that marketing isn't needed at the moment as well for a well known brand like Mh plus Nintendo is going to be promoting the bundle anyways which is going to sell out and by association the word spreads out anyway.

suicreeps

"We will be releasing Monster Hunter: Dancing and Monster Hunter Stories 2: Electric Boogaloo for continued support on Nintendo Switch, of which both will be released only in Japan. We plan to release 'Monster Hunter' on PS4, Xbox One, and PC, which is a follow up to Monster Hunter World and is Monster Hunter 6 even though not in name.(Keep in mind this will release a month before the release of PS5 and Nextbox). To keep investors happy we will be including highly monotized gear such as skins and farming special felynes, Thank you."

Gradivus

Where's the preorders though?

On Amazon the game has around twelve different entries (3DS & Switch, Limited editions, amazon deals) Comgnet probably has about 6. Probably not going to see it rank up high until release date due to the sales split between entries.

ggx2ac

just because they were featured elsewhere doesn't make them popular, only Caeda and young Tiki are even kind of popular, the other FE11 people uh.....

But at some point, these Shadow Dragon characters that have appeared in multiple mainline and spin-off games would surely increase in popularity from being more well known.

As I said, I know they are not 'Lord' levels of popular. Just that there's no way Marth can be the only recognisable character from Shadow Dragon.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
That probably has more to do with them not expecting the port to do all that well and not wanting to waste any marketing spend on it which could be used for their big bet in mhw. .

Its a portable Monster Hunter on a console currently tracking above the 3DS (and is more expensive).

I mean, yeah, its a late port but its not like its fate/excella or One Piece we're talking about- its still in all likelihood the biggest 3rd party Switch release in its first year.

Assuming Capcom has plans for the series on portables in Japan going forward, I don't know why you'd just half ass it.

D.Lo

The only reason the 3DS is not the worst selling Nintendo handheld is because the GBA's life was cut in half. The 3DS is only gonna end up outselling the PSP by a few million Also the PS4 is selling at the same rate PS3 was. PS3 for the first half of its life was competing against the Wii. PS3 up until the Slim/FF13 release was widely regarded as a failure and PS4 is performing on pace with it. There's no excuse this time of a console like Wii taking away from its sales. The Handheld market last gen was around 53 million userbase, while this gen will likely end in a 30 million userbase for handhelds. The console market last gen had a 24.5 million userbase. This gen the console market will likely end up with ~15 million.
I have no idea what you are saying here. And you're wrong, 3DS is was ahead of GBA, aligned, even before the legs cut off.

Reality is, console home market HAS collapsed, largely because there was no Wii, and PS4 is selling the same as PS3, which was last gen's loser console. 3DS has held onto 80% of the DS's market, the big difference in handheld os the Vita was a crater as well, like the Wii U.

We don't know about the whole content of the game. Overall it's shaping to be better in every way than Hyrule Warriors, and that one was a massive success.
I know that, and I like some of the things they are doing (multiple characters on the map) but overall it lacks fan service (more popular characters ACROSS the series) and content (modes, costumes, etc).

Adventure Mode was revealed in a Nintendo Direct a week before the game released.
That's reassuring.

The official site IS barebones. They better be revealing more stuff soon. We are a month away from launch.

NimbusD

Total Software Comparison

total.jpg

I mean, I also imagine more and more people are buying digital, I wonder what the real decline is with that taken into account

Top Bottom