• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Yes, and Hurndall was dreadful. He didn't sound a thing like Hartnell, and the whole story was a complete mess. They also had John Guillor do a very poor attempt at pretending to be Hartnell in The Day of the Doctor. Both of those attempts were pretty bad (and Moffat was responsible for the second one). Why should I believe this will be any different?

Pretty much everyone agrees that Hurndall's casting in The Five Doctors was a disaster by this point. I can't remember the last time I even saw someone defend it. You can't recapture the magic of Hartnell without Hartnell. I just don't see the point in "bringing back a Doctor" if it's not the original actor. The Doctors are a product of the actor who played them. Peter Davison coming back for Time Crash was cool. Paul McGann getting his regeneration story in Night of the Doctor was cool (even if the script was a bit lame). Tom Baker cameoing in The Day of the Doctor was one of the few bright spots in that episode. But this is just silliness. Recasts are dumb.
You're really getting too far into territory I don't want to go. If you don't like it then switch off this Christmas.

Kevin

The
first Time Lord
will be joining
Peter Capaldi
for Doctor Who Christmas special.

Spoiler link from the Mirror.

I am really excited about this. It is scary just how much the guy actually looks like William Hartnell. I mean William Hartnell had such a distinct look to him so to see another actor pull that same look off this closely is pretty neat. Personally glad to see this so long as the writing is solid. Being Moffat's swan song, I think he will put real effort into it.

Fucking Moffat...
We really don't need to see some cheap impersonator pretending to be William Hartnell. Leave the first Doctor alone.

I totally agree with you.
William Hartnell is the first Doctor. Hurndall, Bradley or anyone else is just an impersonation. Moffatt didn't recast for 50th, but see the need here.

Sooooooo, what happened to the sample that The Doctor took?

I'm wondering if that's gonna show up later in the season.

I think everything about this opening episode's "villain" is going to come back somehow. That villain is pretty OP to just be a one & done.

Hell, I wonder if anyone's tried to do any audio editing magic on the voice of "The Pilot" to see if they can discern who the voice actor was.

edit: Wait, Ku is talking shit about McGann's return to the screen? Goddammit.

Dryk

Chips is the superior word.

In Australia, we say chips for both.

Fries = chips (aka hot chips)
Crisps = chips

No Aussie who goes into Macca's says fries.
We still use "fries" sometimes in my experience, but only ever to refer to thin cut chips. If someone called thick cut chips "fries" they'd be laughed out of the pub.

Dryk

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, misclick..

You also just reminded me that following the 50th, Moffat said the next 50 years of Doctor Who would be about running to, rather than from Gallifrey, only to have the Doctor rediscover Gallifrey three years later. :lol

So, yeah, Moffat lies.
I feel like one of the traits of the Moffat era is him setting up some huge status quo change and then throwing it away (often off-screen) once the fans have spent a few months speculating about what this means for the series going forward.

In general over time he's lent towards a more blockbuster style of plotting where it's a set of loosely connected "cool" ideas and setpieces that fall to pieces if you look at them hard enough.

Platy

This christmas episode spoiler is exactly what that twitter tweeted.... and he was somehow right with the other stuff ... I wonder if the mirror is just using that twitter as source or confirming it

I thought the whole
1st Doctor thing
was a fake rumour made from 4chans /who/ general.

There was even an image of 12 and him as well going around.

timewyrm

This is how long Moffat's reign has felt: The notion of a companion only lasting one season now feels like an anomaly.

Both Donna and Martha one one-hitter quitters.

Fair enough, but I can't remember if we knew from the beginning of the third series, that Freema was leaving ?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Thinking about it, I really like Peter Capaldi's Doctor in episode 1 of series 10. I can't help but feel that is shows how much Capaldi was hamstrung by Clara.

I also like his character arc how he develops. When S8 started, he was hardened and alien. When S9 started, he was still alien, but he got more affable and learned to be with humans better. In S10, he is still trying to blend in with people and fails miserably, but he has a kindness and gentleness that was missing, without a doubt the events from Clara softened him. Capaldi continues to be my doctor of the forever, they might have a new regeneration soon, but he will forever put a high bar for me.

I really wished he stayed for one more season, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Boem

Hell, I wonder if anyone's tried to do any audio editing magic on the voice of "The Pilot" to see if they can discern who the voice actor was.

Some of my immediate speculation when watching it. Don't know if I should spoiler this, no insider info except a returning thing later in the season (it was in the trailer):
The hissy voice is exactly what's usually associated with the Ice Warriors. Who are from Mars. We'll see Ice Warriors on Mars later this season - that puddle was very reminiscent of some of the ideas from the David Tennant episode Waters of Mars. 'Intelligent water' and all that.

Combine that with the knowledge that Gatiss' big thing this year was a female Ice Warrior, and we're getting somewhere. I'm betting that's where Heather shows up again.

I don't see your problem

Richard Hurndall also played the first Doctor after Hartnell passed away. There is prescedent here to allow another actor to fill shoes. Bradley was phenomenal in playing Hartnell that I would believe he could pull the strings together.

First time I've ever seen
Hurndall defended
lol

Is the Doctor Who Spearhead from Space Blu-Ray set worth owning?

I like it, but you should be aware that it's not the jump in quality you'd expect, simply because of the nature of the source material. Go here:

http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

Click on DVD releases, then Spearhead from Space with the BD symbol next to it. The Who restoration team are always very honest with their work.

First time I've ever seen
Hurndall defended
lol

I like it, but you should be aware that it's not the jump in quality you'd expect, simply because of the nature of the source material. Go here:

http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

Click on DVD releases, then Spearhead from Space with the BD symbol next to it. The Who restoration team are always very honest with their work.
Less a defence and more a statement that a precedent has been set in a previous multi Doctor story.

Is the Doctor Who Spearhead from Space Blu-Ray set worth owning?

I have it. It looks beautiful (It's still 16mm film) and it makes you think how much of a pity it was they didn't make more episodes purely on film. It also has different extras than either of the DVD releases (The original DVD release and the re-mastered version that was bundled with Terror of the Autons).

Depends on whether you already have it on DVD and how badly you want any of the original series in HD. Personally, it's only of my favourite stories and I've owned it at least once on videotape

Kevin

I have it. It looks beautiful (It's still 16mm film) and it makes you think how much of a pity it was they didn't make more episodes purely on film. It also has different extras than either of the DVD releases (The original DVD release and the re-mastered version that was bundled with Terror of the Autons).

Depends on whether you already have it on DVD and how badly you want any of the original series in HD. Personally, it's only of my favourite stories and I've owned it at least once on videotape

Alright I'll give it a shot. I am building up my Who Blu-Ray collection. Are any other classic serials coming to Blu-Ray?

Alright I'll give it a shot. I am building up my Who Blu-Ray collection. Are any other classic serials coming to Blu-Ray?

No, only Spearhead and "The Movie" were shot on film. But the movie BD is just an upscale as the cost is too large to reassemble the film elements.

I don't know how it looks but I think there was a Sarah Jane adventures Bluray that had Pyramids of Mars on it (I think it was just there as an extra
rather than having had any remastering process applied).

I don't know how it looks but I think there was a Sarah Jane adventures Bluray that had Pyramids of Mars on it (I think it was just there as an extra

Yeah, it was the existing MPEG-2 SD encode I think. Wasn't handled by the RT either.

Kevin

Yeah I wanted to buy the Sarah Jane Adventures but it's out of print in the US and most of it costs way more then I am willing to spend and well the DVD set from the UK is region locked. I think season 4 and 5 on Blu-Ray are still fairly affordable but I don't want to buy just part of the show. Oh well.

Platy

Some of my immediate speculation when watching it. Don't know if I should spoiler this, no insider info except a returning thing later in the season (it was in the trailer):
The hissy voice is exactly what's usually associated with the Ice Warriors. Who are from Mars. We'll see Ice Warriors on Mars later this season - that puddle was very reminiscent of some of the ideas from the David Tennant episode Waters of Mars. 'Intelligent water' and all that.

Combine that with the knowledge that Gatiss' big thing this year was a female Ice Warrior, and we're getting somewhere. I'm betting that's where Heather shows up again.

Well waters of mars is the closest we got from valleyard.... xD

Pejo

Went to a local movie theater to watch the premier last night, they prefaced it with The Class (I think that was the name?). Looks kinda interesting I guess.

Anyways, the episode proper was really good. I like Bill as a new companion, and Capaldi was great. Really excited for the rest of the season.

DeviantBoi

What are the hopes of getting a proper male companion for the Doctor?

Someone like Jamie McCrimmon

I know the new series has had several: Rory, Captain Jack, and Wilfred, but they've always been in-addition-to the female companion.

Magwik

Banned
Not particularly a fan of
recasting (even though Bradley was fab in Adventure in Space & Time)
but I did roll my eyes at
yet more Gallifrey dog shit. Can we stop now?
Isn't this
just covering in The Time of the Doctor where Capaldi briefly appeared in?

He's also "in-addition-to".

I'm talking about a companion that goes through a "it's bigger in the inside" moment.

He was the solo companion for the Christmas special preceding this season. He's basically been the Doctor's main companion for however long it's been since that episode and this one.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

I know the new series has had several: Rory, Captain Jack, and Wilfred, but they've always been in-addition-to the female companion.

I always wanted Rigsy to be the new companion. Really liked the character and the Doctor taking him under his wing would have been a great dynamic.

Davide

Is it me or has 12 not been wearing his suit from the previous series lately?

Is initial Series 8 look always looked the best to me.

JS31728473-6637762.jpg

I think the recent press reports regarding 13's casting are a controlled leak by the Beeb. They have to be neck-deep in casting deliberations right now and I think they wanted a firm "will this fly?" on another white male Doctor, or even just on the man in question.

Ideally the "mehs" spoke loudest, because god. No.

I wouldn't say Wilf was an additional companion in The End of Time- he even gets his own reaction to the TARDIS ("I thought it'd be cleaner!"). If you want to stretch the definitions a little, you might also count Jackson Lake in The Next Doctor.

If you're talking about having a solo male companion, I suspect you'll be waiting until we have a woman playing the Doctor.
I think the recent press reports regarding 13's casting are a controlled leak by the Beeb. They have to be neck-deep in casting deliberations right now and I think they wanted a firm "will this fly?" on another white male Doctor, or even just on the man in question.

Ideally the "mehs" spoke loudest, because god. No.
We always, always have a candidate who all the insiders and bookies say is nailed on to get the role, and it's only really been Tennant that they were right for. If we listened to the press, the new series would have kicked off with Bill Nighy as the Doctor, Tennant would have regenerated into Paterson Joseph, and Smith would have regenerated into Ben Daniels. It doesn't mean anything at this point.

While I'd definitely prefer a profound change in the casting of the Doctor, I'm not going to sit here and say that it'd be terrible if it was a white guy- I was in this position four years ago, and they promptly went and cast Peter Capaldi in the role. I will, however, say that if a white guy is cast, he'd have to be a REALLY interesting pick for me not to be disappointed, and Kris Marshall is absolutely not that.

Mainly talking about Flatline Rigsy, obviously the way they brought him back ruled all this out.

And, agreed overall. I liked Rigsy, and I thought he'd make a good new companion. He let me down by passing his death sentence over to Clara, regardless of how convincing she was that everything would work out.

Is initial Series 8 look always looked the best to me.

JS31728473-6637762.jpg

S8 Capaldi is so scary. He reminds me way too much of the Demon Headmaster

His red velvet Heaven Sent coat remains the definitive for me.

I don't mind the hoodie look, but I like that when he sticks the coat on in The Pilot and pulls out his cuffs you know he means business.

Boem

Jamie was never really a solo male companion though. He was either with Ben & Polly, or later with Victoria or Zoe.

I think, from memory, the only times the Doctor had a solo male companion for a bit was the first with Steven (and even there it's slightly debatable), and the fifth Doctor with Turlough (and there it was also just a couple of episodes where it was just the two of them).

Top Bottom