• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bento

Anyone having problems booting up the game? I get a message that says "preparing to start" but nothing happens after that :s

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Would be nice, I'd imagine they could just automate the update, but if there any issues they'd be unable to do anything.

Venfayth

Played another game this morning, did mediocre with Huskar (my first time using him since playing original dota like years ago -.-)

Am again reminded of how intolerant the general population is of newer players. It wasn't me, but we had two really terrible teammates playing slardar and lina, I'm pretty sure they hit 0 stuns all game long. We lost, but our weaver and shadow fiend talk shit about them the WHOLE game long. What's the point of shittalking your team all game long?

Swag

What's the point of shittalking your team all game long?

Gotta vent your frustration somehow, the problem is exacerbated in Dota 2 because there is no visible rating, so people expect teammates to play at their level and get upset when they don't.

In HoN at least if you see someone is 1600 rated, you know what to expect, opposed to someone who's 1800+

Gotta vent your frustration somehow, the problem is exacerbated in Dota 2 because there is no visible rating, so people expect teammates to play at their level and get upset when they don't.

In HoN at least if you see someone is 1600 rated, you know what to expect, opposed to someone who's 1800+

This happens to me all the time, it's insanely frustrating. Hopefully valve doesn't pull one of their crazy stunts and keeps MMR values hidden.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Unranked and Ranked games. I'm sure they are bound to have this. Both of their competition does.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I just don't want shit like KDR showing up in a player's profile.

"Soandso has a KDR of 0.8 noob garbage go pick CM trashcan"

Madouu

What's the point of shittalking your team all game long?

Making you lose the game even harder. The only thing that can be done really is reporting abusive players ...

This kind of "being a dick" attitude has been promoted in original dota and later in hon by a small part of the community that thinks it's actually cool. Although the main thing to consider is that is a team game, and some people just don't like to lose or take responsibility for the loss ...

It's one of the things that everyone hopes Valve will improve in the genre, but don't get your hopes too high about that.

I just don't want shit like KDR showing up in a player's profile.

I understand how you are feeling about it, but a combination of all the stats (k+a/d, most player heroes, mmr, gpm and xpm, denies, wards) is actually a pretty precise way to judge a player. I don't wish for all those to disappear in dota 2 ...

I know there's issues like kd farming rather than playing for the team, or people labeling you as "bad" before the game has even started; thus hurting everyone's experience, but there must be some way to keep stats ingame but make them a little bit less acessible or visible.

Phandy

I think they should have no stats available to other people other than:
(of course you can see all of your own stats).

The Rating (for whatever(if) rating system valves uses).
How many games you have played,
And so, How many Wins/Losses/Ragequits

If your playing Matchmaking, you dont need to know how good someone is, because youve already been paired up with them, and your in game. You don't ever really need to judge how good someone is.

Want a 'good' looking profile: win more games. Its like tf2 with no K/D, its about encouraging people to do whats best. And that gain points (tf2) or win games (dota).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Both HoN and LoL has this, you better get used to people seeing how you perform.

LoL does not. It only shows you recent games, and Ranked Stats. It also only shows you how many games you lost (And only after a game is over), only how many you won is public, and does not have something like lifetime K:D stats for public games. It was actually one of my biggest complaints of the game.

Swag

Stats are a very easy way to predict how someone will perform in a match, most people would not feel comfortable having someone that doesn't necessarily have carry stats playing a carry.

If someone has mostly carries played with a 0.66 K/D it's safe to assume that they are terrible at keeping themselves alive, so it's better they don't play something super important.
If your playing Matchmaking, you dont need to know how good someone is, because youve already been paired up with them, and your in game. You don't ever really need to judge how good someone is.
Most people don't look at stats pre-lobby because there isn't enough time to

1. Look at Stats
2. Form an argument as to why they shouldn't pick a hero

People will pick w/e they want if their set on playing something, you just have to deal with that decision.

kagete

I am a fan as long as there is near-complete visibility. HON is great because while it keeps your lifetime totals and averages, it also immediately shows to everyone you're playing with the results of your last 10 games. Additionally, every single match can be watched easily by anyone and you can look up individual win rates for each specific hero, so a 0.6 KDR player like me can actually show a stranger i'm arguing with that I have 80% win rate and 2+ KDR when playing certain carry heroes. It gets even sexier after almost 2 years of data collection, with more and more BI possible and the matchmaking at the hardcore tier guaranteeing some pretty evenly matched and exciting games.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

HoN stats (and color) helps a team determine who's going to go mid. Also, a lot of players are actually understanding and if you see a guy with .4 kdr picking a hard carry; you can nicely ask them to play a different hero, and in my experience, 70% of the time they will. Yeah stats also sometimes leads to verbal abuse, but people in MOBA's will do this with or without stats. You will get called a trashcan whether you play bad with a .5 kdr or play bad with no visible stats--it's the tragic nature of the game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
HoN stats (and color) helps a team determine who's going to go mid. Also, a lot of players are actually understanding and if you see a guy with .4 kdr picking a hard carry; you can nicely ask them to play a different hero, and in my experience, 70% of the time they will. Yeah stats also sometimes leads to verbal abuse, but people in MOBA's will do this with or without stats. You will get called a trashcan whether you play bad with a .5 kdr or play bad with no visible stats--it's the tragic nature of the game.

Lies, you need to play the LoL. Get into a game and your lowest rank player says he wants to pick a relatively low tier carry and get a solo lane. Talks about how it is the only character he can play too.

Really sets the mood for the match.

The more complete of a stats page they can offer, the better. But during game or prior, some sort of indicated would help, but nothing too personal. Where it would already condemn a player.

dorkimoe

Ran into a terrible bug with Poorfate last night. Earthshaker disconnected and then reconnected on the other team, but i couldnt see him anymore.

See earthshaker standing in front of the tower? Yeah me neither. ( i was on mumble with poorfate and i asked where he was)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
An over all K:D would be useless, but some stuff like per character K:D:A would be good though. It is one thing to have a 1:5 K:D with Omniknight, and anther to have it with Antimage. (Also, Dota only gives Assitss for dealing damage recently in a battle, making it a bit tough to even get them as Omniknight)

I wonder if Valve would be able to keep track of how often a healer clutch saved a person. They have a few achivements in TF2 for medic to keeping a rocket jumping player dying on impact of the ground, and Dota wouldn't be too hard (Just check if that without the heal, the player would of taken enough damage in 3 seconds to die or something)

I don't care if other people can see my stats or not, but they better have ridiculously detailed stat-tracking for me to look at!

I want to know my average kills per game with any given hero. I want to know how many last hits I have throughout every game I've played. I want to know what my longest kill streak is with every hero. I want to know what my average lifespan is with all heroes together.

Yesssssssss. I love stats.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
An over all K:D would be useless, but some stuff like per character K:D:A would be good though. It is one thing to have a 1:5 K:D with Omniknight, and anther to have it with Antimage. (Also, Dota only gives Assitss for dealing damage recently in a battle, making it a bit tough to even get them as Omniknight)

Nope, your heal does damage to people in range not to mention if you get stuff like Necro, assists are easy to get with Support. Unless you're doing terrible with a Support hero you shouldn't be dying all that much either.

Nope, your heal does damage to people in range not to mention if you get stuff like Necro, assists are easy to get with Support.

He knows that, but he's saying that if a player runs away, he heals them enough so they can get back into the fight and kill someone, his heal doesn't count as an assist. It's only if he actually damages an enemy.

In LoL, if I healed people I would get assists, even if I did no damage. I frequently played Sona, so I know this is true.

kagete

Is it so bad though? In dota, heals are among the most powerful nukes in the game, aside from healing damage. These are either pure damage, insanely good damage for mana, or uncapped AOE nukes. Failing to get assists or even outright kills using these skills shouldn't really be a problem.

Ran into a terrible bug with Poorfate last night. Earthshaker disconnected and then reconnected on the other team, but i couldnt see him anymore.

See earthshaker standing in front of the tower? Yeah me neither. ( i was on mumble with poorfate and i asked where he was)

*picture*

Yeah,in that picture the Earthshaker was hitting the tower at melee range after him and Batrider circled around from mid.

That is a pretty game breaking bug. It essentially gives the other team free kills because you can't even retaliate at all.

Hylian7

I tried Axe in a practice match last night. He's okay I guess. I will have to try him again though. We had 3 leavers so I said "fuck it" and left too since it was 2v5 and only a practice match. I really like that counterrattack. I'm guessing I should be leveling that first as Axe or what?

Is it so bad though? In dota, heals are among the most powerful nukes in the game, aside from healing damage. These are either pure damage, insanely good damage for mana, or uncapped AOE nukes. Failing to get assists or even outright kills using these skills shouldn't really be a problem.

If I'm about to die, and I start running away, and someone shows up to heal me out of the blue, giving me enough HP to turn around and smite the bitch chasing me, I see no reason the person who healed me shouldn't get an assist.

Doesn't really bother ME because I play Dazzle, and getting assists with him is super easy. :smug:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just accept it and move on. I found team fights tended to go worse when I tried to time my heals to do damage, rather then just heal people when it is up when they need it.

Is there as list of which items you can Disassemble?

kagete

I believe there is appropriate risk/reward for healing while in proximity to enemies. Heals are the among the best nukes in the game, using them where they won't damage anyone is fine but don't expect to get credit for anything performed by the healed hero 10 seconds later. So much of the game involves the right spacing and being able to cast at the right time. To use a sports analogy, it shouldn't count as an assist because he didn't pass the ball just before a goal was made but instead passed it much earlier on in a safe area of the playing field, allowing the recipient to dribble in himself for the attack and eventually get the goal. No assist awarded.

NG28

Something similar happened to someone on my team last night. He couldn't see the enemy Lina and was confused at first because all he saw was fireballs flying at him.

About a week a go I played a game where 2 of my teammates switched names after some lag. Whenever they wrote in the chat box it would show up as the other person saying it. Their heroes were also just stuck in place and couldn't move for the rest of the match.

You guys expect we'll be getting an update tomorrow?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find it a bit amusing that in Dota, you specifically pay 250 gold for the choice of which character you want. The site officially says you start with 853 gold, but you only get that much if you random.

I wonder how long till the second version of Random, which you pick which class of character you want, is implemented (It costs 100 to use, instead of being "free" like normal random, or 250 like picking straight up)

Also, its interesting to me that Axe is the only unit in Dota with a Taunt, which is fairly common in LoL (I think about 10 character in it have taunts)

I believe there is appropriate risk/reward for healing while in proximity to enemies. Heals are the among the best nukes in the game, using them where they won't damage anyone is fine but don't expect to get credit for anything performed by the healed hero 10 seconds later. So much of the game involves the right spacing and being able to cast at the right time. To use a sports analogy, it shouldn't count as an assist because he didn't pass the ball just before a goal was made but instead passed it much earlier on in a safe area of the playing field, allowing the recipient to dribble in himself for the attack and eventually get the goal. No assist awarded.

Who said anything about ten seconds? You're making a lot of ridiculous assumptions.

I'm talking about, it wouldn't be POSSIBLE for me to kill the guy if I hadn't been healed. This is a perfectly legitimate situation, and it happens all the time. There's literally no good reason the healer shouldn't get an assist in such a situation. None whatsoever.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Example that has happened: Windrunner has shackled Antimage, he has 100 health and is being auto attacked. I heal him, repel him to get rid of shackle, he blinks to Windrunner, and kills her. Saved the carry, made sure the person died, but the game doesn't count it as being worthy of an assist. Not a huge deal gold wise, but still annoying.

Also, this reminds me of a quick tip. Do not repel someone with a haste rune, this will kill the rune (But, you can use this to stop any enemy from using a regen rune if you are close enough).

I know Doom will go though Repel, but what if Repel is cast on a unit after Doom has been cast? Will Doom still tick? I was thinking if I could cast repel to make sure the unit can't be healed.

I can't wait until they start adding new heroes to Dota 2, maybe taking advantage of the new engine. New types of skills, and stuff. U:

Not that I really have any ideas. But it's true that heroes were limited by WC3's engine. Excite!

Avocado

Get back from training, turn the comp on, grabbing something to eat.... when suddenly steam pops up and tells me I got an invite. God damn, and I got work tomorrow.

kagete

Who said anything about ten seconds? You're making a lot of ridiculous assumptions.

I'm talking about, it wouldn't be POSSIBLE for me to kill the guy if I hadn't been healed. This is a perfectly legitimate situation, and it happens all the time. There's literally no good reason the healer shouldn't get an assist in such a situation. None whatsoever.

10 seconds is just an example. I really don't see how it's ridiculous. Under 10 seconds your healing skill would have already cooled down and you could have another chance to heal/damage. Assists also grant gold, so they can't just be handed out. Bottle sharing, health/mana freebies, and stuff like Chen global heals would qualify under your ideal assist rule. How about passive regen auras? Should any allied hero that gets a kill under your aura credit you with an assist? At least mekansm is activated. I guess we have a different notion of assists. I really think DOTA's assists are closer to how sports like basketball would classify them (kill=goal made). It might seem primitive to rely on just damage, applied effects on the enemy hero, and general proximity to be the only indicators for an assist but opening up the criteria might really just raise more questions than provide answers. DOTA's been like this for years, with some slight tweaks every now and then to accomodate slows and global ults. Maybe it will change, and if your opinion is shared by a large enough player population then perhaps Valve will take notice. As it is, with the current game design and metagame, I (just me) believe assists are handled well enough.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, I figured that out on my own when looking at the subtitle files, but decided not to change anything. There is a decent chance they can get wiped during an update though.

Servers are on the fritz right now, wonder if they are doing the update today, or if there is just issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom