• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

.hack//G.U. Last Recode |OT| Take Me Back To The World

ShinZed

See if the Vsync option helps
Yep vsync sorted that problem. FPS in the town still seems kinda low sometimes unless I look at the floor which is odd since my PC isn't a toaster. It's fine in fields though.

might buy it, i heard the games are VERY LONG is this true?
About 20-30 hours per volume if you're not skipping cutscenes etc.

Considering replaying this in Japanese. I'm dub person, but I honestly could not stand Haseo and Yuri Lowenthal's portrayal of him. Feels like I'm playing as Luke from Tales of the Abyss, who I also could not stand.

I totally lost it when I started Volume 1 and saw the glorious 60 frames and super speedy running. Along with the huge amount of QoL changes it's like I'm playing a new version of G.U.

I'm curious. What exactly are the QoL changes in this remaster?

Basoes

Considering replaying this in Japanese. I'm dub person, but I honestly could not stand Haseo and Yuri Lowenthal's portrayal of him. Feels like I'm playing as Luke from Tales of the Abyss, who I also could not stand.

I'm curious. What exactly are the QoL changes in this remaster?

Evolution Point 1 – Major Visual Evolution

Full-HD (1080p)
High-definition movies
Supports 60fps
High-definition backgrounds and UI

Evolution Point 2 – Game System Improvements

Added retry function
Cheat Mode (Play with maxed out level and equipment)
Movement speed increased
Item slot number increased to 90
Item menu shortcut and sort functions added
Certain items have consecutive usage function
Made easier to see empty equipment slots
Chim Sphere and Virus Core possession cap at 999
Reduced probability of allies selling off items you give them
Improvements that were made in Vol. 2: Reminisce and Vol. 3: Redemption will be reflected on Vol. 1: Rebirth in the HD Remaster.
Battle tempo increased with a rise in offensive ability and reduction in hitstop.
Weapon skill up rates increased
Increase in experience points gained
Some powerful enemies have been mitigated
Skeith’s shooting speed has been increased
Avatar battles have been rebalanced
In addition to being able to redo the Marriage Events in Vol. 3: Redemption, you’ll get to do it with all characters that become party members

SeppOCE

Same, I'm tempted by nostalgia from playing G.U. back in the day but £40 GBP is real steep.

Damn thats a lot of money I feel for you man. I really wish Steam was more consumer friendly outside of the USA. Maybe when I get a PS4 next month the game will be cheaper to buy on disc compared to on steam like they usually are here.

Evolution Point 1 – Major Visual Evolution

Full-HD (1080p)
High-definition movies
Supports 60fps
High-definition backgrounds and UI

Evolution Point 2 – Game System Improvements

Added retry function
Cheat Mode (Play with maxed out level and equipment)
Movement speed increased
Item slot number increased to 90
Item menu shortcut and sort functions added
Certain items have consecutive usage function
Made easier to see empty equipment slots
Chim Sphere and Virus Core possession cap at 999
Reduced probability of allies selling off items you give them
Improvements that were made in Vol. 2: Reminisce and Vol. 3: Redemption will be reflected on Vol. 1: Rebirth in the HD Remaster.
Battle tempo increased with a rise in offensive ability and reduction in hitstop.
Weapon skill up rates increased
Increase in experience points gained
Some powerful enemies have been mitigated
Skeith’s shooting speed has been increased
Avatar battles have been rebalanced
In addition to being able to redo the Marriage Events in Vol. 3: Redemption, you’ll get to do it with all characters that become party members

sounds great, thank you!

MogCakes

Skill description bug in Vol. 1 is really bugging me. I tried JP voices but the English cast is fantastic, I couldn't stay away from the dub. Outside of maybe Alkaid the voicework for everyone fits like a glove to their characters. My biggest complaint other than that is how little challenge the game poses now that Haseo's power scales so fast.

Basoes

Skill description bug in Vol. 1 is really bugging me. I tried JP voices but the English cast is fantastic, I couldn't stay away from the dub. Outside of maybe Alkaid the voicework for everyone fits like a glove to their characters. My biggest complaint other than that is how little challenge the game poses now that Haseo's power scales so fast.

you have to intentionally gimp yourself or be under leveled for any sort of challenge

Will this game be hard to find later?

Also, how is the game (or games) without the nostalgia factor? Never tried this series as a kid.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Will this game be hard to find later?

Also, how is the game (or games) without the nostalgia factor? Never tried this series as a kid.

Physical copy maybe but you can always buy the it digitally. I personally like .hack games but they are acquired taste.

I was trying to finish the second game in under ten hours without skipping the cutscenes like I did the first one but it doesn't look to be possible. Darn.

Yep vsync sorted that problem. FPS in the town still seems kinda low sometimes unless I look at the floor which is odd since my PC isn't a toaster. It's fine in fields though.

About 20-30 hours per volume if you're not skipping cutscenes etc.
I didn't skip cutscenes and doing the story and not too much else took me under ten hours for the first game, twelve hours on the second game and about 14 hours in the final game.

Much shorter than I thought it would be. I enjoyed it a lot though. Just don't have time to do the side stuff these days.

Dark Link

I too was surprised at how short the games were. I finished Volume 1 in around 16-17 hours, but then I took another 10+ hours maxing the Ryu books and doing all the sidequest stuff, except Bikman's cause that one can go screw itself.

I only bothered maxing the Ryu books since I found out that apparently not maxing the Ryu books in their respective volumes causes you to miss out on stuff.
Honestly I would have never known since back in the PS2 days I maxed everything out while waiting for the next volume to release.

Dunki

I am now 10 hours into the first game and while I like the game and all the world building infos you can read and watch on the news or fake forum threads, I have one huge complaint.

I do not even know why but something in terms of presentation better during the talking cutscenes feels off compared to other JRPGs. It feels sometimes really quiet and there are some strange pauses in these dialogues that want me to hit something....

ShinZed

I didn't skip cutscenes and doing the story and not too much else took me under ten hours for the first game, twelve hours on the second game and about 14 hours in the final game.

Much shorter than I thought it would be. I enjoyed it a lot though. Just don't have time to do the side stuff these days.
Yeah I just finished vol 1 quicker than I thought I would. The increased levelling speed pretty much removes the need to grind. Took away a lot of the challenge too sadly. Kicked Cernunnos' ass at the end. He was quite tough in the PS2 version.

sublimit

Banned
RPGFan Review
79%
When you consider how prohibitively expensive the .hack//G.U. games became over time, something like Last Recode is certainly welcome as a definitive way to experience these games. .hack//G.U. definitely shows its age in a lot of areas, but its fun combat and engrossing story (not to mention that phenomenal soundtrack) make this collection a great value for anybody who has ever wondered what all of the fuss was about. While I certainly wish the gameplay was a little more robust to match the engaging storyline, I enjoyed my time with Last Recode and hope to explore The World again someday.

Shifty

People think Persona 3's Tartarus were repetitive, GU's dungeons is much, much worse.

I wouldn't have believed this if I'd read it before playing, but whoof yeah no kidding.

Coming back to G.U. after playing it a bit as a teen, I enjoyed the themes, most of the characters and CC2's fantastic pre-rendered cutscenes, but sweet baby jesus the amount of repetition in this game is brutal.
No way I'd have ever finished it with the original balancing on PS2. I found the updated progression system to be pretty broken in favour of the player, but even then the sheer amount of re-running the same dungeon tilesets wore me down completely by the end.

Top Bottom